Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ProjectTrinity
Oct 12, 2012

Because we get things done.
Hello, everyone!

I finally decided to try my hand at the Kickstarter for our team's 3D project called "The Perjurer OVA". It's a retelling of the original sprite series that aired on Youtube around 3 years ago, only with a bigger team and 3 years of experience. (And what a laughably noticeable difference it makes!) It's a $20k campaign for a 20-minute film (more if stretch goals are met). No contribution goes unrewarded - no reward diluting our gratitude. (or finances. Heh) In the interests of avoiding aggravation via reposting the entire campaign on this post (basically), I'll leave things as text-only and supply the link down below.

The Campaign

Quick FAQ:

What is The Perjurer About, Exactly?

A very recent curse has plagued the land, causing certain people to take the bonds they've formed with their loved ones and feed off it in order to live. By choosing to do so however, their victim dies the at that very moment. Because of the state of affairs, every Perjurer learns early on that they have to go cold or die. In the 2D series, we saw a variety of ways a Perjurer deals with their affliction. In the 3D series however, it's more of a psychological battle between two Perjurers as they try to constantly outsmart the increasingly hostile detective, Fubre.

*Pending Question*

==

Many thanks for taking the time to read this, everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProjectTrinity
Oct 12, 2012

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

I had to google "OVA". Is that a meaningful identifier in anime communities?

You went with a longer than average campaign: is that to correspond to a marketing strategy? It's not intuitive, but the research tends to point to shorter campaigns being more successful.

I'm not your audience, but the animation and artwork aren't exciting. The interrogation room looks incomplete and untextured. Even if that room was perfectly sterile and flat, it still needs something to signal that it was an aesthetic choice, not an unfinished box. The same could be said for the other scenes too.

When you're offering something for people to see, it will either turn them on or turn them off. This turns me off. I think you would have been better served by just a video of you selling the project to the camera, intercut with drawn stills or something with higher visual quality.

I think the rewards are off too. Mainly I think you're sabotaging yourself by coming out and saying it will be on YouTube. It's fine if that's your distribution strategy, but donators don't need to know that. Are there anime film festivals you can submit it to? I'd talk up that angle instead, and give people an incentive to give you money for the film. $100 for a DVD of something that is being put on YouTube...I dunno.

What's your marketing strategy for the KS campaign? Barring some good connections in media circles I think you'll struggle to make 20% of your goal.

It's a shorthand way of saying "animation that's longer than a usual 30-minute episode", but not much more than that. As for your critiques and advice, I will be trying to implement as much of it as I reasonably can - particularly the Youtube segment you pointed out. I can see where the mentioned self-sabotage could happen. There's no film festival in mind, but I do not mind looking into it to make the project more enticing for donators. The marketing strategy is largely dependant on the media circles we're currently in (voice acting, singing, composing, artists, indie producers, ect). The other part of it is old fashion advertising.

Thanks for the help thus far!

ProjectTrinity
Oct 12, 2012

Greetings, everyone! I'm here with a visual novel for anyone that takes an interest in that medium! (Or at least its music, which I happen to be the composer for as well as producer/writer.) It's on Kickstarter and only needs 10k to be fully funded, with it already 70% towards its goal with 3 weeks to go! If you're interested, I went ahead and left the more technical details below, as well as the link to our Kickstarter page! (Or demo, if you want to skip that and play it (first?))

DEMO

KICKSTARTER HERE

SYNOPSIS

In the world of Xal, you follow a character named "Xjena" who accepts an invite from entrepreneur named Xuna Xaovant to set out and compete with 5 other girls to lay claim to a harem that would leave them financially secure for life. Not everything is fun and games however, as personalities and ambitions clash, the men are lawfully bound to be dutiful to the woman of the house, and only the most profitable and long-standing woman may inherit Xuna's harem, fortune, and legacy. It's up to the player to decide Xjena's personality: Will she risk the fortune to form a stronger bond with her fellow ladies? Will she do whatever it takes to climb up the economic and political ladder? Can she balance the nature of the business with a desire to help the men, or will they merely be pawns to continue that climb? Every little choice adds up, and even the smallest decision from long ago can come back and change the course of an important conversation dramatically. (The demo will feature an abridged, conceptual version of the many ways this could play out long term.) Lastly, yes, this will be touching on some social issues. Despite being in a different universe, they're all still politicians in training.

Full Game Features:

+Full Game Estimated to Have 50+ words
+Demo Estimated to Have 10k+ words
+Animated Backgrounds
+Distinctive Art Direction
+An expansive violin-centric soundtrack with several "instruments" exclusive to the world of Xal will be in the score.
+Voice Acting (How much varies on the final budget)
+Over 5 male romance options, and at least 3 female romance options.
+Multiple ways to go through the main story's dialogue, with many, many conversations impossible to know exist without mixing and matching player choices.
+Main game features 3 'main' endings with various ways each ending can go down, based on player choice (see above).
+At least 2 harder endings that take understanding the game's lore and narrative to figure out how to unlock.
+4 different endings in the demo, depending on your choices. (Coming to Kickstarter January 2017, if nothing hurts the schedule)
+Game doesn't end when romance road is complete and, depending on who you choose, if anyone, alters the plot and relationship dynamics with others.

Thank you all who read up to this point, and have a lovely day!

-TeamPT