Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shalrath
May 25, 2001

by elpintogrande
Say, anyone think this project could do well with a kickstarter entry?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalrath
May 25, 2001

by elpintogrande

codyclarke posted:

It's unique enough an idea that I'm very sure they'll approve it! Just make sure you have a way to promote it, and can roll out the promotion the second you get the site up. I haven't received any donations from Kickstarter browsers. Also don't set your goal amount too half. Figure out what you need, and cut that in half, or even a third, because you really don't wanna get most of the way there, have the campaign end, and get no money at all. Also figure out a lot of cool rewards.

Ah, do we still need invites to post on there?

It's hard to think of rewards - although we might offer some replicas of the OSM mascot: Moonypig

Or perhaps I could ask the team at Copenhagen Suborbitals to make a batch of signed photographs, heh.

I'd probably keep donation amounts low - ie, 2-20$. I'd also let people know that there's a good chance that a 30 dollar donation might be more than the portion of their taxes that goes to NASA each year.

Shalrath
May 25, 2001

by elpintogrande
Actually.. Copenhagen Suboribtals has a pretty huge cafepress page. I asked them if they'd be interested in honoring "a coupon for any one of the items in this price range" for rewards on a kickstarter project.

http://www.cafepress.com/copsub

(If anyone's interested, the OSM has started a bit of fundraising already - with about 260$ raised in the last two days. GJ Goons.)

ps. Here's what we could have been spending on space, at the expense of a particular item purchased from a particular restaurant, if you were particularly hungry:

Shalrath
May 25, 2001

by elpintogrande

ToxicSlurpee posted:

You know, if I wasn't a broke-rear end college-bound adult, I'd be all over tossing money into that. I may anyway, depending on how empty my checking account gets when tuition gets paid. I want to step on Mars, drat it!

Would there be anything else I can do to help instead of moneys? I'm not a rocket scientist or anything, just a science nerd that likes space.

The OSM aims to have something for everyone, not just "rocket scientists". Otherwise, it would be like saying that every computer programmer is out there to just write their own operating system.

We're more concerned with inventing the stuff that goes on the top of the rocket, rather than the rocket itself.

Take a look at that whole thread. This project has nothing to do with space elevator circle jerking and NASA cheerleading. Rather, we're focusing on people; getting them interested, educated, and organized behind a public venture. That has the potential to steamroll over the cumulative efforts of any space agency or private space company to date, and that is why we don't depend on the mercy of NASA's budget, or buying tickets from Virgin Galactic.

The only entity large enough to afford the colonization of space is the public itself.

Shalrath
May 25, 2001

by elpintogrande
I'll take an invite if someone has one left. I mean, who doesn't like manned space exploitation :)

shalrath239@gmail.com