Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heliogabalos
Apr 16, 2017
you can still key in codes for the cheapest of item (for example, celery instead of organic whatever) and no one pays any attention and it saves me a fuckton of money on organic produce
I've written an Edward Gorey inspired alphabecedenarian book of "children's" poetry (in a similarly didactic, Victorian, gruesome end style). I don't have an illustrator for it yet but my partner has lots of artistic connections so I am not worried about that yet. People I have shared the poetry with have all gotten a kick out of it. I know that's not a guarantee that it's any good of course.

Except: Any opinions on whether this is worth pursuing as a Kickstarter? It looks like people do quite a lot of the work to begin with, so while the writing is done, would I need someone to do a whole bunch of the illustrations first? If it were profitable or there were interest, is that usually a 50-50 split? Is there a market for kids-not-really-for-kids books like this.

I don't need to make a ton of money, I just recently heard about this and an acquaintance made $40000 on it, so even 5% of that would be killer.

Apologies in advance for any ignorance and thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliogabalos
Apr 16, 2017
you can still key in codes for the cheapest of item (for example, celery instead of organic whatever) and no one pays any attention and it saves me a fuckton of money on organic produce

lofi posted:

If you try to sell it as a profit-split to an illustrator, you're not likely to get a positive response - you're asking them to work for free now on a thing that may or may not ever pay off (and other people will have made them similar offers before).

But, images will help sell your kickstarter to people, give them something to look at while you explain your plan to them. Kind of a no-win situation.

I'd go for paying for a good cover image out-of-pocket, use that on your video/for promo work (make sure the illustrator knows you'll be doing that!), then buy the rest of the illustrations as part of the fundraising. If you've got a promo image, you can sell it as "part of what you're paying for is full illustration by this super-cool artist, who has already done this cover image so you know they're not a total flake!"

Good points, especially paying someone up front for an image and promoting it with that. Thanks, I'll get this underway and link back so you can all make fun of my terrible poetry.