Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Set up a Kickstarter campaign a little over a week ago to help fund a feature film I'm making. I was inspired to set one up by my friend, colleague, and fellow goon Josh Bernhard, who used Kickstarter to help fund his Pioneer One pilot. Being that the film I'm making is very low budget (way lower than what he shot his pilot on) I couldn't exactly afford to not meet my goal, so I set it my goal pretty small ($350) and set the campaign for the longest amount of time I could, which was 90 days. I figured I'd meet my goal in 30-60 days, and maybe barely exceed it by the time the campaign elapsed.

To my surprise, in less than 12 hours, I had exceeded my goal!

I'm currently at $376, and I'm elated. This money is very much needed, as I've been funding this all out of my own pocket, my cast/crew working entirely for free. If any of you are considering setting up a Kickstarter campaign for a project of yours, DO IT. This website is amazing, and I am very, very grateful for it!

If you'd like to check out my Kickstarter page, you can view it here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/256549066/350-to-help-make-an-individualist-film-rather-than
If any of you feel like donating, I'm offering some great rewards for doing so. For instance, even if you only donate ONE dollar, you will be credited as a Kickstarter backer in the credits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Shalrath posted:

Say, anyone think this project could do well with a kickstarter entry?

It's unique enough an idea that I'm very sure they'll approve it! Just make sure you have a way to promote it, and can roll out the promotion the second you get the site up. I haven't received any donations from Kickstarter browsers. Also don't set your goal amount too high. Figure out what you need and cut that in half, or even a third, because you really don't wanna get most of the way there, have the campaign end, and get no money at all. Also figure out a lot of cool rewards.

codyclarke fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jul 14, 2010

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Smoked Salmon posted:

Guys, I'm confused. Okay so I applied for the site without getting an invite--should I go back and do it with one? Oh dear :x

They allowed my project and I didn't have an invitation. Don't worry about invitations, they're pretty generous with what projects they allow.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Siobhan: A Fully Silent Feature-Length Film
http://www.indiegogo.com/siobhanfilm

A Fully Silent Feature-Length Film

Hi, my name is Cody Clarke, and I'm an independent filmmaker. I've produced, written, directed, and edited two feature-length films in the last two years: Shredder, and Rehearsals. I am seeking your help in funding my third in two years: Siobhan.

Siobhan is romantic comedy-drama in a similar vein to Woody Allen’s classic New York films. It tells the story of a reclusive Deaf woman in her mid-20‘s (named Siobhan) who lives alone in Park Slope, Brooklyn, and hermits herself from the world, from happiness, and from love. She will be played by renowned Deaf theatre actress Tami Lee Santimyer.

Over the course of the film, Siobhan goes through ups and downs, both comedic and tragic, as her outgoing and troublesome 18-year-old sister Sophie, who is hearing-impaired, tries to bring her out of her shell. Sophie will be played by newcomer Briana Birks, who, like her character, is hearing-impaired.

This film will be completely silent. No music, no ambient sound, nothing. All sign language and spoken dialogue will be subtitled. Deaf and Hearing filmgoers alike will enjoy the same viewing experience.

There has never been a film quite like this. Almost all films with Deaf characters feature sound, even ones with Deaf protagonists. So we are only ever encountering them from the perspective of a Hearing observer. Sound disables Hearing audiences from truly experiencing a Deaf character’s perspective. Only through silence can Hearing audiences be immersed in their world.

Another benefit of silence is that it provides Deaf actors the exceptionally rare opportunity of playing Hearing characters. In fact, almost all of the Hearing characters in the film will be played by Deaf talent. To say this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for them is an understatement: this is a once-in-film-history opportunity.

This film, this unique experience, can only be made possible through your kind donation. For over a year and a half, I’ve been trying to find funding for this film through traditional methods, and though response to the script has been great, it has been very difficult to find investors willing to take a chance on a fully silent film. This is a shame, because for Deaf audiences, all films are ‘silent’, yet that doesn’t stop them from enjoying films. If a story is well-told, and the visuals are compelling, that’s what matters most. Film began as, and always will be most of all, a visual medium. Siobhan is a love letter to the power of film in its purest form.

The Budget

$20,000 may sound like a very small amount of money to make a film with, but I am a very economical filmmaker. My first feature-length film, Shredder, cost a mere $3,000 to make. My second, Rehearsals, cost approximately $100, because I made it with the equipment I bought to make Shredder. The entire budget was spent on subway rides to and from locations, lugging all the equipment myself and shooting every bit of it myself.

However, I can't make Siobhan on a Shredder or Rehearsals budget. It's just not possible. There are many locations, including several unavoidably expensive ones, and we also need much more equipment than the bare amount I own. Every penny of that $20,000 will be seen on screen.

Other Ways You Can Help

If you cannot afford to make a donation but would still like to help out, you can do so by sharing a link to this campaign and spreading the word. The more people know about what we're trying to do, the better.

Thank you for reading, and I hope you enjoy the finished film. And of course, if you have any questions about the project, please contact me.

Best,
Cody Clarke

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Then why are you running a flexible funding campaign?

Because when the campaign runs out, if we have not reached our goal, we're going to keep trying to raise money. Flexible Funding allows us to not have to start from zero, in that scenario. We'd be able to start a website for the film, list how much we've raised so far, and how much we still need to raise. We could accept PayPal donations and still offer rewards. And, if the money already raised were enough, maybe we'd be able to shoot a few scenes.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

MSubjack posted:

Wow. So I'd just walk with the money? If the amount remains this low or only climbs a little, I will give everyone their money back. Right now it's family and friends and I don't steal from anyone, let alone family or friends. I've been working with a professional on the budget and if I need to re-tool the script and the budget, I will do so in the coming weeks. If you're not interested in the project, fine. Implying I'm going to walk with people's money is pretty lovely, though.

Just ignore him. He's cynical toward pretty much everyone who posts a campaign in this thread.

Your idea is good. The source material is great and the concept of a fan-created reboot (rather than a generic Hollywood reboot) is really compelling. If I were in your shoes, I probably wouldn't try and shoot a complex, $90,000 scene. I'd shoot a teaser trailer that shows the tone across the entire film. But I'm not gonna discourage you for going that route.

I can't donate (as I'm currently raising money for my own film) but you have my attention and I'll be following your progress. I wish you the best of luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
13 hours left in my campaign. We're definitely not gonna reach our goal amount, but it's a flexible funding campaign, and every little bit helps. We've currently raised enough to pay off the majority of our equipment costs, which means we'll be able to shoot at least some scenes of the film.

Here's the campaign page again: http://www.indiegogo.com/siobhanfilm

We have rewards starting at $10.