Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coldtaxi
Jan 1, 2009

Inadequately posted:

I've been alternating between Musashi and Taiko by Eiji Yoshikawa recently. Not quite as literary as some of the other works discussed here, but they've been pretty fun reads. Are there any other notable Japanese historical fiction writers? I don't know Japanese, though, so I wouldn't be able to handle the more obscure recommendations.

There are mountains and mountains of historical fiction in Japan, but not a lot of it gets translated. Presumably that's because publishers don't predict much of an audience for stories about premodern Japan, but maybe also because it's generally considered pop lit rather than 'real literature.' Miyabe Miyuki, for example, writes a bunch of historical fiction, but all that ever gets translated into English are her sci-fi/fantasy/horror stories.

Still, it looks like there are a few things that have managed to get translated:

The Flower Mat, by Yamamoto Shugoro

Master Assassin, by Ikenami Shotaro

The Bamboo Sword, by Fujisawa Shuhei

The Curious Casebook of Inspector Hanshichi, by Okamoto Kido

I haven't read any of those translations, so no guarantees on quality or anything.

Actually, though, for anyone interested in historical fiction in Japanese, once nice thing about its position as pop lit is that there has been a steady stream of manga and TV drama and movie adaptations of the hit series since like at least the mid 70s. So if you pick up something by Hiraiwa Yumie, say, and it's taking too long to get through the book, then you can hunt down a manga adaptation of it and have nice pictures to help with understanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread