Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ezzum
Mar 13, 2014

For Now
I'm trying to get into Japanese lit after reading an Akutagawa short story collection, but really just starting. I've read some Abe, a bit of Murakami, etc. but I'm honestly not even sure where to start with other authors. It's just such a massive undertaking.

Dr Scoofles posted:

Thanks to this thread I purchased An Artist of the Floating World by Ishiguro, Asleep by Yoshimoto and I re-read Out by Kirino.

By far I enjoyed An Artist of the Floating World most. I loved the slow pace of the book, rather like I love ambling slowly through a nice garden. The simmering undercurrent of anger felt by the younger generations was lost on me for a long time as I found myself so caught up in the innocence (or ignorance to accept the truth) of the narrator. By the end I felt betrayed, yet I couldn't dislike him.

As much as I adore Ishiguro, I don't know that I would consider him a Japanese writer, at least culturally. He was born and raised in Britain, and has said that his image of Japan was more based on stories than on fact. But he's still a great writer. His books are so layered. If you liked AAoFW, I would highly recommend The Remains Of The Day, arguably his strongest book. Though this is an old post so maybe too late anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ezzum
Mar 13, 2014

For Now

Stravinsky posted:

In regards to Mishima, at least to me he always seemed to have to periods in his life. Early on where he felt that he did not live up to what he was supposed to be based on what he felt that society told him to be and then later in life where he felt like he had achieved that, but society suddenly abandoned many of the values he had absorbed and internalized when he was young. It all culminates in the failed coup and his death.

That's actually really interesting. Kinda reminds me of An Artist Of The Floating World, where the ever-changing values of society force one to re-evaluate their perspective. Except Mishima was unable to and ended up destroying himself. It sounds like something out of a novel.

Currently reading The Ark Sakura, but also just recently finished Silence by Shusaku Endo, which is a really interesting book. Very convincing and vivid, and interesting from a philosophical perspective. As far as books on Christianity go, I'd say Silence is definitely one of the most interesting ones I've ever read.

• Locked thread