Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Megaman (especially 2) is a massive source of inspiration for especially the Japanese community. For two examples, Crash Man is gay and I can't beat Air Man.

edit: I love the Hatsune Miku version of Megaman 3 too. I wish they did 2 instead, but maybe they figured it was too crowded a fan-creation scene already?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Dec 12, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

mathaeis posted:

Since someone mentioned The Protomen, I'm going to have to mention some completely awesome guys: The Megas (http://www.myspace.com/themegas - my personal favorite is "The Annihilation of Monsteropolis").

Also, while I grew up playing the original series since the first one, I also think that the good X games are certainly near perfect. I really wish they didn't make as many bad ones as they did, though. I own all of them, but haven't beaten anything since 5 because of how terrible they were. I hear X8 fixed a lot of stuff, but after 7 I just didn't give enough of a drat to play it at the time. Not sure why I bought it at the time, but I guess I'll give it a shot in the future at some point?

The Megas are decent. Their vocalist isn't very good and they need someone better to write their lyrics, but the arrangement is drat good. I'm gonna say Monsteropolis is their best song. It can be downloaded for free at Overclocked Remix.
http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR01687/
I like the concept of their album. Each song is about a different Robot Master from Mega Man 2, but I wish they put more thought into the lyrics. Most of them are just angry/depressed. Would have been more creative to make each Robot Master represent a different emotion or something. Also, the album order is a bit arbitrary. Would have been clever if they put them in the weakness order.

They're no Protomen, but they grew on me.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
Wow, I had no clue they were making a 10, that's awesome news if the same crew is responsible. The rear end in a top hat difficulty in 9 was so refreshing and true to the NES games, I especially liked how if you upped it to Hard or Hero it actually resulted in new enemy spawns rather than simply boosting their health or cutting your damage. The DLC was kind of a joke, though.

I've really only played the original and X series, which are both excellent overall. Except for that one PSX game where you can get yourself stuck or whatever, that sucked. I heard 7 was a really bad 3D transition but 8 was much better, are they worth playing? The first Legends was also fun if a bit slow, but I can't even remember if I played the second.

I tried the first GBA Zero game way back and got stuck on what I think was the second to last stage, even fully ground up the (mini?)boss still stomped me and I never tried the others. Wish it had been more linear anyway, are the sequels any worse? What's even up with the ZX games?

DocBrown posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAeU3-w92lU

Megaman vs all Megaman 2 bosses at once reprogrammed game.
Anybody who likes MM2 and thinks they're good at the games must download that from the link in the description. It's really hard, and real men do it with no energy tanks.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I always liked the vocal audio, despite how drag and drop it probably was to put together.
This was made with a sequencing program that vocodes voice clips of syllables, they probably exported the music to MIDI and it took almost no effort.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Swilo posted:

Wow, I had no clue they were making a 10, that's awesome news if the same crew is responsible. The rear end in a top hat difficulty in 9 was so refreshing and true to the NES games, I especially liked how if you upped it to Hard or Hero it actually resulted in new enemy spawns rather than simply boosting their health or cutting your damage. The DLC was kind of a joke, though.

The extra difficulties were part of the DLC, so do you like it or don't you? I personally enjoyed it, especially Endless Mode, and it's not like they witheld core content in order to nickel-and-dime you like so many other games.

Anyway, since it hasn't been posted in this thread, here's the Megaman 10 reveal:

Click here for the full 1000x656 image.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Strange Matter posted:

This would seem to be the correct thread to post a link to the Protomen website.

For my part, I've been grinding through 9 for the past month. God drat that's a hard game but every minor victory is like the second coming of the lord.

A month back I drove a good 200+ miles to an auction of old tin robot toys.
The Father of Death was blaring the whole trip. :cool:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

http://www.themmnetwork.com/2009/12/11/meet-a-robot-master-commando-man/

More Mega Man 10 info.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
edit: motherfucker!^^^

Just found a scan of the second MM10 robot master:

Click here for the full 504x666 image.

Other miscellaneous MM10 poo poo - there'll be sewer, sports and computer-themed stages as well as desert and ice stages, and all the same features as MM9 (leaderboards, achievements, DLC) but no female robot masters. The Yashichi power-up is back, and Megaman will be missing the slide/charge shot again. Due for release in March.

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
It pisses me off that MM10 is just going to be another NES-style game. It seems that Capcom has found an easy-to-produce cash cow that they're going to milk dry.

I mean, alright, I loving get it, NES-style graphics have a nostalgic charm, make a new loving game already. When are we going to see a truly modern, epic return of Megaman? When MM9 was first announced I was hoping that's what it would be, but instead it ended up just being an NES throwback. I just sort of half-smiled when I find out about it, and I was hopeful that it was just a graphical thing and hopefully it would throw an interesting gameplay twist somewhere within, then I bought it and found out that it was basically just a Megaman 3 romhack with absolutely nothing new.

The "brand new NES game" gimmick was cute at first but now it's just getting loving lame and I'm worried that Capcom is going to keep doing this forever. I want to see a really new take on Megaman that does for the series what Super Mario Galaxy did for Mario, not just NES rehashes for Megaman 9 through 500.

And by the way, the charge shot rules, why the gently caress are they leaving it out AGAIN? :argh:

Cabbagepots fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Dec 12, 2009

Rascar
May 3, 2005
DICK

Cabbagepots posted:

And by the way, the charge shot rules, why the gently caress are they leaving it out AGAIN? :argh:

I always disliked having to constantly hold down the shoot button to have my shot charged up. :shobon:

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
gently caress the charge shot.

I will forever miss the slide. :qq:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Cabbagepots posted:

It seems that Capcom has found an easy-to-produce cash cow that they're going to milk dry.

Did you just figure that out?

Personally, it doesn't really bother me. I've enjoyed every Megaman game I've ever played.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cabbagepots posted:

It pisses me off that MM10 is just going to be another NES-style game. It seems that Capcom has found an easy-to-produce cash cow that they're going to milk dry.

I mean, alright, I loving get it, NES-style graphics have a nostalgic charm, make a new loving game already. When are we going to see a truly modern, epic return of Megaman? When MM9 was first announced I was hoping that's what it would be, but instead it ended up just being an NES throwback. I just sort of half-smiled when I find out about it, and I was hopeful that it was just a graphical thing and hopefully it would throw an interesting gameplay twist somewhere within, then I bought it and found out that it was basically just a Megaman 3 romhack with absolutely nothing new.

The "brand new NES game" gimmick was cute at first but now it's just getting loving lame and I'm worried that Capcom is going to keep doing this forever. I want to see a really new take on Megaman that does for the series what Super Mario Galaxy did for Mario, not just NES rehashes for Megaman 9 through 500.

I honestly think, "romhack" or no, that the original Mega Man feels better in 8-bit. Their attempts to update it, like MM8 or Mega Man and Bass, always felt awkward to me. It's entirely possible they could maintain the 8-bit design while updating the graphics, but I somehow get the feeling they'd get the shaft for doing that, especially from reviewers, for keeping the gameplay "outdated" without being intentionally retro. I'd love to see a Mega Man that played 8-bit and looked modern, but I don't see that happening.

Mega Man is not an overly complex game formula, and the more you add to it, the more you risking messing it up or changing what people like. I like the X games as well as the Mega Man games, but they do feel pretty different, despite being fairly similar in structure, and that only grew worse as the series progressed and you started getting things like Zero and Axl. I know people who love every Mega Man game and just can't enjoy X, and vice-versa. They don't want new gameplay gimmicks or complex new mechanics. They just want to blow up robot masters in fun levels. Keep in mind that there are people who love old-school 2D Mario, but just can't enjoy Galaxy or 64 or Sunshine. They don't like how it plays, and it isn't Mario to them.

As for the charge shot: They're not leaving it out. Proto Man is playable from the beginning, and if you remember MM9, Proto Man has the Charge Shot and Slide. They're not giving it to Mega Man so that the characters play differently.

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

I'm terrible at Megaman games and I heard 9 was pretty difficult so I didn't bother with it. I do love the music from the series.

Can't be a megaman thread without some remixes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5d45lpqnsU

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Up until this summer, I had only played a handful of Mega Man games way back when they first came out. For some reason I suddenly had the urge to play mega Man a few months back, and player through all the NES, SNES, Gamesboy, and PS1 games. Mega Man 8 about broke me. It abandons the traditional level design in favor of awful gimmick stages. Wily 1 is some of the worst poo poo I've ever played. That doesn't come close to how lousy Mega Man X6 was, though. I'm not averse to playing a difficult game; many of the classic series titles were pretty punishing at times. X6 just had the most horrendous level design I think I've seen in such an established series. There are just so many moments that mkae you wonder what the hell they were thinking. I was going to move on and play the Zero series, but X6 killed any enthusiasm I had for the franchise.

Megaman
May 8, 2004
I didn't read the thread BUT...
Hey guys what's up, you talking about me?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Cabbagepots posted:

Hahahahaha you think this is new with Mega Man 9.

mathaeis
Dec 16, 2007
severely pro

Detective No. 27 posted:

The Megas are decent. Their vocalist isn't very good and they need someone better to write their lyrics, but the arrangement is drat good. I'm gonna say Monsteropolis is their best song. It can be downloaded for free at Overclocked Remix.
http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR01687/
I like the concept of their album. Each song is about a different Robot Master from Mega Man 2, but I wish they put more thought into the lyrics. Most of them are just angry/depressed. Would have been more creative to make each Robot Master represent a different emotion or something. Also, the album order is a bit arbitrary. Would have been clever if they put them in the weakness order.

They're no Protomen, but they grew on me.

I found out about The Megas first, and every time I mention them, everyone always mentions The Protomen as being way better. I've only heard a couple songs (which may be the problem) and what I heard really wasn't that impressive. I saw their live show and it didn't really do anything for me either (at Nerdapalooza, along with The Megas and others). Some Protomen fans of mine convinced me to buy the CD, explaining that you really have to read the lyrics and hear the entire thing to get the full effect. So I bought it, but have been busy and haven't sat down and listened to it just yet. I am looking forward to seeing if I can discover what everyone else seems to like about it, though.

That being said, while I personally really like the singers' voices in The Megas, I understand what you mean about the lyrics. Personally, though, that is something that works for me, a lot. I am someone that loves The Immortals "Mortal Kombat: The Album" non-ironically. It's cheesiness is what makes it fantastic, and the simplistic level of some of the Megas' content sort of goes along with the colorful, simple nature of the games.

However, I COMPLETELY agree that Mega Man is a world that has amazing potential for a serious, non-kiddie story, and from what I understand The Protomen deliver on that idea. Still, I find a big difference between the light-hearted fun of The Megas, and the disappointment Capcom can sometimes provide - like any of the English voices in the American games. "It's time to get serious!"

Swilo posted:

I tried the first GBA Zero game way back and got stuck on what I think was the second to last stage, even fully ground up the (mini?)boss still stomped me and I never tried the others. Wish it had been more linear anyway, are the sequels any worse? What's even up with the ZX games?

The Zero games were done by a completely different team, so the first game was them sort of figuring out how everything worked and such, and as a result is less polished and drat hard (in a 'makes you not want to play at times') way. The second and third are probably the best in the series from what I hear (I haven't played 3 yet, but my friend has explained all the details of the mechanics to me), and he said that 4, while good, is really just more of the same. By no means was it bad though.

If you like this sort of thing, Capcom made a Mega Man Zero art book which you can find on their site or Amazon, etc. I actually picked it up before the games a year or two ago, and it is absolutely fantastic! It's actually what prompted me to go out of my way to pick up the old titles. Along the same lines, there is a Mega Man art book that was released on Oct. 14th of this year, though Amazon has yet to get them in stock and ship my copy. Aside from that, a Mega Man X one is due out in 2 days, although I fear the same stocking delays might plague it as well.

mathaeis fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 12, 2009

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
This is still the best Mega Man themed music track. :haw:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA-NRCAW90o

Yea, that was on TV. Unfortunately, it made the show out to be something much better than it actually was. False advertising at its best. :(

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The extra difficulties were part of the DLC, so do you like it or don't you? I personally enjoyed it, especially Endless Mode, and it's not like they witheld core content in order to nickel-and-dime you like so many other games.

Anyway, since it hasn't been posted in this thread, here's the Megaman 10 reveal:

Click here for the full 1000x656 image.

I like how they seem to be doing another parody box art.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
Personally, I have a soft spot for Mega Man: The Power Battle/Fighters. They're the only fighting games I've ever seen that play like platformers, and there's something awesome about having a Mega Man fighting game...

I was actually working on a fangame like this over last summer, using Game Maker and pulling from Mega Man Returns and some other sources. Unfortunately, I haven't had the patience for it lately. The code's not all that hard in Game Maker, but drawing new sprites for NES characters is hard. I tried drawing Air Man walking and I about went insane. I got Mega Man and Air Man done, but I haven't been able to motivate myself to get back to it. Ah, well. I'll get better at sprite art eventually.

Mr.Flibble
Jul 23, 2008
I always liked this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoQEuQLbVl0
And here it is synced with the anime (Suzumiya Haruhi)it came from.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89ysAAOQC6k

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:

Most of the MM9 arrange album sucked but the Tornado Man arrangement by the MM8 guy is awesome (original here).
The Chiptuned Rockman album that came out recently makes up for how dissapointing that album was.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9wYwPRxtvA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qi9tBX5P20

:allears:

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

J-Spot posted:

Mega Man 8 about broke me. It abandons the traditional level design in favor of awful gimmick stages. Wily 1 is some of the worst poo poo I've ever played.

Likewise...the fact they put a booster sled section at the very beginning, and you had to play through it every single time you started a saved game almost made me pass over the game entirely. That an Aqua Man's dumbass little rainbow display before the fight.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

The difficulties were the only thing I liked, Endless mode might have been cool years ago when I had people to compete with. Proto Man and the new level/boss were worthless, and they never came out with anything else. It wasn't exactly core content, but it was things they could have shipped with for another $5. I just hope they do a better job of it this time around.

mathaeis posted:

The Zero games were done by a completely different team, so the first game was them sort of figuring out how everything worked and such, and as a result is less polished and drat hard (in a 'makes you not want to play at times') way. The second and third are probably the best in the series from what I hear (I haven't played 3 yet, but my friend has explained all the details of the mechanics to me), and he said that 4, while good, is really just more of the same. By no means was it bad though.
It was the same guys who did 9, right? Makes sense that the first wouldn't be so great if they had no experience, guess I'll cheat my way through that fight (I have literally given up at that spot on three separate playthroughs years apart) and finish it to play the others.

HenryEx posted:

This is still the best Mega Man themed music track. :haw:

Yea, that was on TV. Unfortunately, it made the show out to be something much better than it actually was. False advertising at its best. :(
What is it with 90s Germany and techno? Pretty sure the original opening was false too, there was never anywhere near that much action in an episode.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Cabbagepots posted:

:argh:

We had Megaman X4-8, Megmman Zero, Megaman Powered up (THERE'S YOUR ATTEMPT AT A MODERN MEGAMAN), Megaman Marverick hunter X, Megaman zx and zx: advance, and that's not even counting the battle networks games.

Look at all those modern epic Megaman games

None of them made as much as a profit as Megaman 9.

Pardon my tone but there's been the same neckbearded criticism all over the internet and I'm tired of it. They've tried to "innovate" in every possible direction for years now and the pre-32 bit generation games have always still been the best in my mind. I do not want a stupid plot to geek out about. I do not want to have my progress in a level graded or have to grind for parts (Which is one of the reasons I did not like what I played of the zero games. I do not care about multiple characters and would rather have levels that are well designed around a single character.

They tried to innovate for years and they got criticized, and now they're going back to a formula that actually works with much lower production values (refreshing in these days of billion dollar games that you do not actually play, which is one reason I do not play modern games) and all the nerds on the internet are screaming that a romhacker could do the same in a week.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.

HereticSenility posted:

I like how they seem to be doing another parody box art.

It kinda reminds me of the Star Wars A New Hope art.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Sockerbagarn posted:

It kinda reminds me of the Star Wars A New Hope art.

Totally.

Someone at Overclocked Remix also pointed out Tron:

RipVTide
Jul 28, 2002

Run you jerk with an EYE FOR QUALITY you! Run!
Nap Ghost

Detective No. 27 posted:

I was taking a look at what Wikipedia said. I don't know much about the X games, honestly. I wasn't even gonna begin to count the other spin off games.

OK not cool you did not just call the Mega Man I-V spin off games. While they didn't blow the lid off that 4 color wonder like Link's Awakening did for the Zelda series, they certainly brought the already ridiculously high levels of polish over from the NES series, and they followed the traditional Mega Man formula to a T.

Missing the Game Boy Mega Man games would be like leaving out Kirby's Dream Land in a Kirby retrospective, or Link's Awakening in Zelda. Fie on you! Fie!

RipVTide fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 12, 2009

Czar Like Stick
Jul 8, 2004

by mons all madden
The Gameboy Megaman IV & V games were even better than the NES games. That's where all the shops & new abilities originate in the main series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxmzexowHk0

Czar Like Stick fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 12, 2009

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Megaman Powered up (THERE'S YOUR ATTEMPT AT A MODERN MEGAMAN), Megaman Marverick hunter X

Those games are nothing more than remakes of the first games in their respective series and can't really be counted as "modern attempts at Megaman". The only ones that can be counted as such are the ZX games, which were decently challenging but kind of unsatisfying. I kind of feel that it strayed in the wrong direction with the Metroidvania-style maps.

ImpAtom posted:

Mega Man is not an overly complex game formula, and the more you add to it, the more you risking messing it up or changing what people like.

I know people who love every Mega Man game and just can't enjoy X, and vice-versa. They don't want new gameplay gimmicks or complex new mechanics. They just want to blow up robot masters in fun levels.

I'm not going to hide it, I'll just say it. I want a 3D Megaman platformer game. I know people are going to say "play Megaman Legends" but that's not really the kind of game that I want, that was more of an action RPG than a platformer. They haven't really tried to make one, and there's no reason they can't attempt to give it the same trappings of the 2D games (instant-kill spikes and pitfalls and such). They should look to Ratchet & Clank for inspiration on how to do it, as that shows how a shooter/platformer can be done quite well in 3D. As you said, it's not a complex game formula; you're a robot who goes around blowing up other robots. It goes without saying that concept is tailor-made for video games, and there's so many ways they could be doing it that I can't even count them all. If they made a colorful, challenging 3D Megaman game with excellent controls, awesome tunes and delicious robot explosions, I think they'd be golden and sell a lot of copies regardless of what neckbearded purists have to say. Mario did it, Samus did it, Sonic did it (yes yes I know, Werehog and all that crap, but it wasn't always like that, the first two Adventure games were excellent). I want Megaman to do it, and I can't believe I'm the only one. Come on.

To me it's just a shame that they won't even consider trying this out of fear of getting bashed by retro purists, which is probably why they named the "new" Megaman games different things because they're frightened of the backlash they'd get if they tied it to the classic series. I miss the old Capcom that took the bull by the horns and told fans what they wanted instead of now where they just bend over and let their fans ream their rear end, letting them decide their every action. I feel that their products are inferior as a direct result of all these fanservice attempts.

And to me, Megaman is unplayable without the charge shot. My first Megaman ever was 4, followed by X. I want the blue boy to have the charge shot, not the red boy. Why do they keep making the red characters better than the blue characters :(

Cabbagepots fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 13, 2009

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Cabbagepots posted:

....I kind of feel that it strayed in the wrong direction with the Metroidvania-style maps.

Cabbagepots posted:

:words: 3D action RPG
So straying from its roots to metroidvania is bad, but having RPG elements is okay?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

The Merkinman posted:

So straying from its roots to metroidvania is bad, but having RPG elements is okay?

I don't think Cabbagepots said anything about a 3D platformer Megaman taking R&C's RPG elements, just R&C's platforming and shooting elements.

Edit: Although, thinking about it, having R&C's RPG elements wouldn't be bad either. It could add some depth to be able to upgrade the weapons Megaman gets from robot masters.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 12, 2009

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Man, I'm so happy they're making another. If they just keep making one NES Megaman after another until the end of time, I will gladly buy every single one. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I already gladly buy each and every new 2D Castlevania, too. If it's fun, I don't care if it's "innovative" and "fresh". I shameless;y admit that I am a nostalgia whore!

Fake Edit: Also, I love it how Cabbagepots is always wrong, no matter what he's talking about. :mmmhmm:

Real Edit: The Charge Shot can honestly suck me as long as they bring back the slide.

Real Edit Again: A game about Androids, with an Electric Sheep. That is brilliant. I love it.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 13, 2009

Semiotic Ghost
Mar 25, 2006
Dumbass For Rent
Megaman 9 was the best Megaman since 2. you kids today with your chargy shots and air dashes and god awful polygons...you don't know how good you have it. in my day, disappearing blocks were the height of gameplay! :wal:

Ieandar
Jun 2, 2008
I bought my friend a copy of the Mega Man Anniversary Collection (GC) because he had never played them growing up. It's a poor way to be introduced to the series, but I think it's better than nothing.

Mega Man 2 was probably my favorite game of the original series, of which I prefer over the X series. Not that Mega Man X, etc. were bad--I just enjoyed how direct the earlier games were. You ran and you jumped. I wasn't even a terribly big fan of charging up shots, but I got used to it.

Can't have a Mega Man thread without bringing up The Advantage, however. I saw them up at Cleveland's Grog Shop a few years ago, and they played some awesome Mega Man songs. The videos on YouTube don't do justice to how cool they are.

Flash Man
Mega Man 3
Metal Man

They also do the MM2 stage select music along with Metal Man on the album "Elf-Titled."

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

The Merkinman posted:

Um, no. Read it again.

Also I forgot about X7 and X8 which were sort of what I was describing, but they just reek of a half-hearted effort on Capcom's part.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Cabbagepots posted:

Um, no. Read it again.

Also I forgot about X7 and X8 which were sort of what I was describing, but they just reek of a half-hearted effort on Capcom's part.

I see, I dunno how I read it like that :doh:

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
X8, I think, was significantly better than 7. Not like they had to try hard to surpass 7, but still.

X8 real problem, in my recollection, was that the actual gameplay still wasn't as tight as it had been with the 2d games. It got really close at times, but something about the animations in general just made everything feel less precise.

I did really like the soundtrack for X8 though. My only complaint is I wish they hadn't gone with the Gravity Antonion's music in the final version. There's a lost tracks CD that has the originally proposed track, which sounded pretty alright. I can't find the lost tracks version on youtube though :/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx-7nxIRcFI Final version used for game

I think that if X8 had actually been X7, there could have been a properly amazing 3d graphics X title before Maverick Hunter X, but who really knows.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Cabbagepots posted:

...I think they'd be golden and sell a lot of copies regardless of what neckbearded purists have to say. ... retro purists

I hear they're going to put Straw Man in this one. :v:

Cabbagepots posted:

And to me, Megaman is unplayable without the charge shot. My first Megaman ever was 4, followed by X. I want the blue boy to have the charge shot, not the red boy. Why do they keep making the red characters better than the blue characters :(

So, 2 and 3 are "unplayable?" :what: Those're probably the two best in the original series.

Cabbagepots posted:

I don't understand how X7 isn't exactly what you were describing, except terrible. At least admit that Capcom tried, failed, and so are going back to something that they're good at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Any word on 10 being released for 360/PS3 also yet, or Wii still the only one mentioned?

I do hope they bridge the gap between classic and X with this one though. Or at least start to.