Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
They're scaled differently and aren't 1:1 with the screen resolution. Makes it look cluttered and patchy while it fucks up the angled lines.

Probably look fine at their native res, but I'm now suspect that the sprites are done at the same scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I think it's more the way the linework is done. They use black lining for outlines and details, something the X series generally doesn't do. That, and the common amateur sprite artist trap of not properly dithering your shading to make curves look natural.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I came to comment on the black outline as well

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Honestly the main thing is that X and the enemies around him are working on very different art styles.

But overall it IS a very cool project. I love X8 but I won't deny this game is an upgrade just for how it changes the vehicle sections.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

So now that I've had time to actually read about it, I've learned that the MMX8 demake will only feature X being playable, with no Zero or Axl. That's kinda disappointing tbh.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
The big chunks of color on a lot of the enemies and bosses really stood out to me too. X1-X3 enemies don't really have that - they usually have a lot of fine detailing to break up any large areas of a single color. In cases where the design didn't allow for that, elaborate shading is used to break up those large areas so it doesn't stand out so much as a drab block of color.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

https://www.gematsu.com/2024/01/inti-creates-teases-new-title-to-be-announced-at-pax-east-2024

Looks like Inti Creates are making a Gunvolt themed Battle Network clone?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They have my attention

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Doesn't look particularly Gunvolt themed to me, but those are definitely some inti character and card designs. Also just going by icons I'm guessing more turn based than Battle Network.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Selenephos posted:

https://www.gematsu.com/2024/01/inti-creates-teases-new-title-to-be-announced-at-pax-east-2024

Looks like Inti Creates are making a Gunvolt themed Battle Network clone?

I mean I'm throw money at the screen, why isn't it working?

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
Judging by the UI I'm assuming it's One Step From Eden but closer to MMBN mechanics

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

One step was total chaos but this one looks like a full turn based slay the spire-type to me. Don't see how you would manage moving your character and the hand of cards at the same time

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:
I don't see much Gunvolt-specific in that screenshot, honestly, it just looks like a mashup for various IPs that Inti has made or worked on, maybe some new characters? Gunvolt's kind of notably lacking.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Inti's latest side-scroller has a release date as well, it'll be out on everything on May 30 and there's a demo scheduled for Steam Next Fest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-ri1gNZN0c

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Megaman Facebook remembers green biker dude

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also now that emulation for them finally exists, someone’s started working on a translation patch for the two mobile Battle Network games:

https://www.rockman-corner.com/2024/01/rockman-exe-phantom-of-network-and.html?m=1

Kamari
Jan 29, 2024
Being new here, just wanting to maybe post a glitch LP of Mega Man II on the Game Boy (you can wreck that game to death if you know how) pulled me right over to this thread. I'm happy to see all the attention even that unappreciated game is getting.

Myself, I'm pretty much only versed in Mega Man II (expert, or so I believe) and X (it's fun but dear God I suck at that game).

Anyways, I guess just about any game on the Gameboy can catch fire with glitches, being as primitive as it is.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I have a soft spot for GB II, since it was the first game in the series I personally owned (only played NES at friends' places, as my parents never got the console), so I know I'd look at any weird tricks on showcase.
It's an oddly forgiving entry for being sandwiched as it is between Dr. Wily's Revenge and III, though the studio change handily explains that.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Kamari posted:

Being new here, just wanting to maybe post a glitch LP of Mega Man II on the Game Boy (you can wreck that game to death if you know how) pulled me right over to this thread. I'm happy to see all the attention even that unappreciated game is getting.

Myself, I'm pretty much only versed in Mega Man II (expert, or so I believe) and X (it's fun but dear God I suck at that game).

Anyways, I guess just about any game on the Gameboy can catch fire with glitches, being as primitive as it is.
I did an LP of MMII over 10 years ago (oof), I...wasn't very kind to it.

https://lparchive.org/Mega-Man-II/

I'd be super happy to see you talk favorably about it and also show off glitches, that's great stuff! Absolutely post it!

Kamari
Jan 29, 2024
Thanks, I just need to wait till I'm sure I'm doing everything right in this site (not overlooking any rules).

I'd prefer a screenshots-with-text playthrough.

Edit: I also know that to get it on the lparchive you have to request it to be archived. I don't know how all that works yet but I'd like for that to be the eventuality; I'd like to see the input from other people on the post here, but lparchive looks so much cleaner and easier to navigate.

Kamari fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 29, 2024

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Apparently MM10 was going to have two player co-op at one point:

https://www.rockman-corner.com/2024/01/mega-man-10-prototypes-include-evidence.html?m=1

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I remember playing X5 the first time and liking it. However, going through it together with my son like this really changed my view. It’s like X5 wants you to hate it. Especially with the Shadow devil.
But it was worth it if only to hear my son lose his poo poo at X showing up for the boss fight and then donning his Ultimate armor. It’s unfortunate that he doesn’t use his Nova strike.

X2 zero battle is still easily my favorite battle in the X series. This Zero battle is a pale imitation. Though we want to go tackle the Awakened Zero after this. He should be more fun, hopefully.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

I remember playing X5 the first time and liking it. However, going through it together with my son like this really changed my view. It’s like X5 wants you to hate it. Especially with the Shadow devil.
But it was worth it if only to hear my son lose his poo poo at X showing up for the boss fight and then donning his Ultimate armor. It’s unfortunate that he doesn’t use his Nova strike.

X2 zero battle is still easily my favorite battle in the X series. This Zero battle is a pale imitation. Though we want to go tackle the Awakened Zero after this. He should be more fun, hopefully.

Show your son this, when he is ready: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esG8pVsp3Xw

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Show them all the edgy mega man flash videos from the early 2000s like the Cataclysm, Mega Man vs Quick Man and Rockman Neo

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
X5 loving sucks

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

hatty posted:

Show them all the edgy mega man flash videos from the early 2000s like the Cataclysm, Mega Man vs Quick Man and Rockman Neo

Off the top of my head Rockman Neo is the one with the song by “Texas F…” which didn’t sound very Maverick Hunter imo.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
It was extremely dispiriting to look up them up afterwards and learn that the track used on Rockman Neo was about the hardest one they produced and everything else they made was chill trance.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

chumbler posted:

Show your son this, when he is ready: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esG8pVsp3Xw

He will like that.

hatty posted:

I considered trying to find them. He would probably get a good laugh out of them.
Meanwhile through him I’ve learned that even now people are keeping the X and Zero are gay meme alive. But no longer in sprite comic form, apparently he found a bunch of YouTube movies an out that.

Simply Simon posted:

X5 loving sucks

That’s harsh.

Well we beat up Sigma with Zero. Now for X. We split the upgrades somewhat so we can just go at it with X now.

Both X4 and X5 feel like games that could be so much better. Especially X4.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

If you're going oldschool Ms paint masterpieces is still updating with a few strips a year

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012
Capcom's doing a survey, the questions include telling Capcom your favorite Capcom game, favorite character, and picking from a few series you want new games of, including options for Mega Man, Okami, the Vs. Series, and Ace Attorney.

https://captown.capcom.com/en/super_elections

Keep in mind that they render Mega Man as Megaman in all their searches, the lone exception being Mega Man: The Power Fighters.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
oh boy time for everyone to run a passionate campaign to get their faves revived only for the whole thing to be ignored because the number of people that will fill out a survey is less than a fraction of the people who will preorder resident evil 6 remake turbo edition day one

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Mega Man at least might have a chance of getting more action as an IP, so long as budgets and sales expectations are kept under control, seeing as 11 did pretty drat well by MM IP standards.

I could also see a rebooted Onimusha, in the style of current action games doing pretty well. The 2018 remaster not selling well might scare them off from that one, but that was hampered by just being the PS2 OG with dolled up graphics, and some minor QOL enhancements. I think done to modern action game standards and sensibilities it would fare far differently.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I did the needful and campaigned for Bionic Commando. A man can dream.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

kefkafloyd posted:

I did the needful and campaigned for Bionic Commando. A man can dream.

Wife Arm will return.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
In case people in the megaman thread don’t have megaman, humble bundle has a not that great of a bundle of Megaman.
Mega bundle

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lol, that voting thing has Dante and then Dante from DmC.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Darth TNT posted:

In case people in the megaman thread don’t have megaman, humble bundle has a not that great of a bundle of Megaman.
Mega bundle

It's twenty bucks for $134 worth of product. If you buy the additional items with the coupons, you pay $65 total for $224 worth of games. That seems pretty good if you have none of it on your Steam account already.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

big fan of the “do you support Capcom” “well let’s wait and see how you act” survey question

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
New Gunvolt's out on PC and consoles:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2585040/GUNVOLT_RECORDS_Cychronicle/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI1u4GMy-gk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It’s just a rhythm game with no plot to speak of however (near as I can tell anyway)