Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
Akira Kitamura, who directed Megaman 1 and Megaman 2, made a Twitter account last month and has been answering questions about the games he worked on, including those two.

He also apologized for Boobeam Trap, that infamous Megaman 2 boss.
https://twitter.com/ak_blueprints/status/1772608781848903912

quote:

I must sincerely apologize for this. sorry. There are reasons for this. It's a long story that I can't write here. I'll tell you when the time is right. 😆

A lot of the game design details is stuff that had come out elsewhere before, like Megaman originally being planned to be white and have a head that changes for each power. But when talking about the more thematic stuff and overall setting, as well about talking about it from a game design perspective, there's some stuff I haven't seen before. For example:
https://twitter.com/ak_blueprints/status/1773755310987194713

quote:

For Rockman, changing colors means fighting. But now that everything is over, that color is no longer necessary. I expressed this empty color change in a positive way by reflecting it on the changing seasons. It's a slightly abstract performance. Actually, I was planning to add a message to this video like the opening. disappointing. 😓

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ozxziD8HkM

Inti announced a new game today, and it's allegedly a real game that they want press outlets to pretend is an April Fools gag.

I wouldn't believe it; if you hit the url (https://flamefrit.com/en/) given for the game's (supposed) website on there, you only get the following now:

"This web site is closed already.
© INTI CREATES CO., LTD. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED."

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Though if Inti’s going to keep making these kind of games I wouldn’t mind an iX3 (maybe this time with Kohaku’s sister playable) or a Kirin solo game following Gunvolt 3

The best way to enjoy the Gunvolt series in my opinion is to ignore the score attack mentality entirely and just abuse the poo poo out of Pervasion

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 3, 2024

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Vizuyos posted:

Akira Kitamura, who directed Megaman 1 and Megaman 2, made a Twitter account last month and has been answering questions about the games he worked on, including those two.

He also apologized for Boobeam Trap, that infamous Megaman 2 boss.
https://twitter.com/ak_blueprints/status/1772608781848903912

A lot of the game design details is stuff that had come out elsewhere before, like Megaman originally being planned to be white and have a head that changes for each power. But when talking about the more thematic stuff and overall setting, as well about talking about it from a game design perspective, there's some stuff I haven't seen before. For example:
https://twitter.com/ak_blueprints/status/1773755310987194713
For all the unused ideas in making the game, we could have had your health determine how high you jump.

Flamefrit reminds me of a Ganbare Goemon clone.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's a definitely-real new Inti game, currently out on Switch and coming to PC and Playstation later this month... a Gunvolt Ix-themed Suika Game clone, amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo0wtmHcZkk

It has more music in it than that rhythm game they just put out, too...

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Just make a proper Gunvolt and/or iX game again please (I’d even take a Kirin spinoff)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 5, 2024

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
wonder if Gunvolt 3 performed poorly. its been nearly two years since release and no word about a sequel but a bunch of cheap spinoffs. maybe iX 2 and GV3 releasing in the same year was too much

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

hatty posted:

wonder if Gunvolt 3 performed poorly. its been nearly two years since release and no word about a sequel but a bunch of cheap spinoffs. maybe iX 2 and GV3 releasing in the same year was too much

And even iX2 was announced with barely any fanfare (and I think not long before its release to boot)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

hatty posted:

They might just be burned out - GV3 was in development for a long time and the director ended up bringing in the Bloodstained Curse of the Moon guy to take over because he felt like he was out of ideas.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gunvolt really feels like it was hampering them a bit by the end. There was kind of an air of just being kind of tired of the mechanics/setting/characters to it, even if it played well.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Gunvolt really feels like it was hampering them a bit by the end. There was kind of an air of just being kind of tired of the mechanics/setting/characters to it, even if it played well.

That’s even reflected in the third game where they suddenly jumped centuries into the future and sort of killed off the main character at the end (though there are ways around that, Joule was brought back with very little explanation after all)

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

They actually did say they were talking a break from mainline gv/ix games for a while and were gonna try out different stuff for a while. Right now their main development focus seems to be on that cat game they've been posting a lot about.

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:
I'm just annoyed that the "out of ideas" card was even played and they hadn't yet made a single effort to actually follow up on the "true"/special/whatever you want to call it ending of GV2, instead trotting out the Copen games and whatever you want to call GV3.

They had plot hooks right there and never followed up on them.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

They should just make Mighty Gunvolt Burst 2, MGB was way better than any of the regular ASG/LAiX games I played.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
https://twitter.com/ak_blueprints/status/1778773793017897138

the secret to why you'll just sometimes randomly fall off those floating platforms in Ice Man's stage when you try to jump on or off of them

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

We knew it was when they were shooting, not actually random, but it's good to see the exact reason laid out like that

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Only trust your magnet beam. The floating heads will never help you.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
:hmmyes:

Never trust a floating head.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status/1780561330262651109

It's cool that there's several old megaman designers talking about different games out there right now.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah well Strike Chain is fiddly enough to use even as a weapon against large targets, fishing a 1up out of a slightly out of line hole like that is asking a bit much.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

skill issue

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Needing the 1UP is a skill issue in and of itself

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

hatty posted:

Needing the 1UP is a skill issue in and of itself

collect everything

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Dabir posted:

Yeah well Strike Chain is fiddly enough to use even as a weapon against large targets, fishing a 1up out of a slightly out of line hole like that is asking a bit much.

They did also post an image explaining the problem:

Since "being able to grab items with the chain" was part of the Strike Chain's design, they'd really wanted to have at least one spot where the player wouldn't be able to get an item without using it.

But because the Strike Chain comes out exactly at buster height, it's impossible to line up a 1-tile-high gap such that X can fire the chain through it while standing. In both A and C, the chain hits the wall at the edge of the gap. But if they increased the size of the gap to 2 tiles like in B, X would be able to air-dash in and get the items without using the chain.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tbh it feels like you could mitigate the problem by just not having the 1up at the exact end of the chain’s length, but they were putting out Megaman games at a pretty rapid pace so I get why that would fall through the cracks.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

They should have made the gap two tiles wide but lined the top or bottom with spikes

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Someone figured out how to access Mega Man 10's scrapped co-op mode from an old X360 build: https://www.rockman-corner.com/2024/04/how-to-enable-and-play-mega-man-10-s.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PO6McAl2DE

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Locking the good version of the weapons behind co op is some bullshit.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
That feature makes some of 10's design make more sense. What a wild thing to get scrapped!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wow, yeah, "Mega Man 10 had good weapons, they were just part of a scrapped feature" is a hell of a thing to find out.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
"Thunder Wool becomes a screen clear! And so does Chill Spike for some reason! Commando Bomb gets remote control! Water Shield has homing capability!"

"What about Wheel Cutter?"

"It gets a little bigger."

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Yep, even super thunder wool still sucks. Super chill spike does the same thing faster and doesn't get blocked by the moles lol.

SkeletonHero posted:

"What about Wheel Cutter?"

"It gets a little bigger."

it's hard to tell from the video, but it looks like you can use it to chainsaw enemies. I think the normal version just vanishes on enemy contact.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Wheel Cutter was already cool enough

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Wheel Cutter lets you go up walls. Which is cool even if it's useful no where in the game.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Sounds like you can fall into pits so long as you touch the walls.

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

they were fine.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

SkeletonHero posted:

Commando Bomb gets remote control!
I mean, it essentially already has that

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE7K4w5d8f4

Inti Creates Gold Archive, coming to Switch in Japan for 3278yen - this is a physical compilation containing Mighty Gunvolt (which hasn't been available on Switch before now), Mighty Gunvolt Burst (with all DLC) and Puzzmix (that Gunvolt-themed suika game clone they just released).

In case you forgot, Mighty Gunvolt Burst is the game where they basically remade a bunch of Mighty no.9 in 2D and made it actually fun.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Apr 26, 2024

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That's underselling it, MGB also has that really good build your own weapon system that I don't think I've seen anywhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mighty Gunvolt was ok and the final boss was basically a sneak preview of the then upcoming ASG2 but yeah, Burst was way better (and I think sort of canon as the GV portion near as I can tell happens at some point DURING Gunvolt 2) and the customization system basically let you make the game as hard or as easy as you wanted

Also I see they’ve gone back to the original title (for some reason they rereleased Burst on PlayStation and Xbox a while back as “Gal Gunvolt”)

I wouldn’t mind seeing them try to make another game in a similar vein honestly

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Apr 26, 2024