Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

Gammatron 64 posted:

Man, I'm so happy they're making another. If they just keep making one NES Megaman after another until the end of time, I will gladly buy every single one. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I already gladly buy each and every new 2D Castlevania, too. If it's fun, I don't care if it's "innovative" and "fresh". I shameless;y admit that I am a nostalgia whore!

Agreed 100%. Mega Man is perfect the way it is. I'll look to other games or even different Mega Man spinoffs for something new. The general formula for the NES games is just so perfect, that I'd gladly play a new entry with nothing more than new levels and bosses every year until the end of existence, and happy as hell about it.

That being said, I really would like to see even a vague allusion to the gap between the original series and the X games, even if it's just something vague to speculate on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

Pork Pro

mathaeis posted:

Where did that first come from? The only game I remember seeing it in was Bionic Commando: Rearmed, and had no idea what it was.

It's called a Yashichi, and it was Capcom's little trademark logo/item thing that was used in many of their early games. I think it can be found in Commando and Legendary Wings in addition to Mega Man 1 and Bionic Commando. I'm sure it's in a bunch of other stuff I'm forgetting as well.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

Pork Pro
:siren:Mega Man 10 Official Trailer!:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dv3X8Z6fCk

Gives us silhouettes and brief glimpses at the 8 robot masters' stages. One of them clearly has A SWORD FOR A HEAD. Betting that's blade man, or something.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

Pork Pro

Schwarzwald posted:

Hey, I missed the official Capcom stream last night because of some family poo poo. Was it recorded anywhere?

I don't know if anyone recorded the full stream, but here are some highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1BdmGvpFYI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlf6LZirtZg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb_RKyP-JT4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jg27jfn_NQ

The video of easy mode can be summed up as such:

Real men play on normal. :colbert:

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

Pork Pro
So, Capcom has apparently trademarked the name "Mega Man Universe." This could end up being absolutely nothing, but from the sound of the title I'm hoping it turns out to be the oft-requested crossover MM fighting game. I just hope it doesn't turn out to be some crappy MMO.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

Pork Pro
I don't know what the hell that was, but I want it. I hope hideous MM1-boxart Mega Man is an actual playable character.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

Pork Pro
Oh man, I'm trying not to get my hopes up but if Mega Man Legends 3 is finally coming, I'll be so loving happy. :unsmith: They NEED to get Teisel's voice actor back though, he was perfect for that role.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

Pork Pro

g0lbez posted:

All of you wanting MML3... I hate everyone of you. X9 forever

What about those of us who desperately want both? Plus it's been what, like 10-11 years since Legends 2 whereas it's only been 5 or 6 since X8? Legends should come first since it's been nearly twice as long. :colbert:

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

Pork Pro

Cuboidal 64 posted:

They're letting people vote on the design for a new heroine and/or love interest in Legends 3 over on the Capcom devblog (You need a Capcom Unity account, though). The designs are in higher-res here, click the names on the bottom to switch through them.

Honestly though, they look like Star Force and Battle Network rejects. Hell, the first just looks like an older Mayl with a Mettool Hat.

Haha, I can't get over how bad Inafune's design is. Those eyebrows, goddamn. I voted for Sensei Haruki Suetsugu's design (the one with the feather headband) since it's the most unique without diving into "how much poo poo can we possibly shove on this poor girl's head" territory.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

Pork Pro
I really can't believe he's leaving. :( It seems like such an odd time too, with Legends 3 on the horizon and all. I don't get it, honestly. "Hey man, know that dream project you've wanted to work on for the past 10 years? GREENLIGHT!" And then he just quits a month or so later? I hope he at least worked out all the storyline stuff for the development team.

Dude's been acting odd for a while, constantly talking about how much he hates his job and how much the Japanese game industry sucks, so I can't say I'm all THAT surprised. I really figured he'd at least wait until after Legends 3, though.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

Pork Pro

quakster posted:

I have to point out that: A) Almost everyone who I've seen talk about Powered Up online have bitched about the cutesy graphics, B) Universe looks nothing like LBP. It looks just like a less cutesy Powered Up and C) Saying "I want Powered Up 2, this game has too much stuff from MM2" is the dumbest thing I've read all week.

Honestly, I didn't mind the cutesy graphics in PU, and either way you've got to admit they're more appealing than the weird...jagged, I guess you could call it, art direction in MMU.

Either way, I'm not entirely sure why they didn't just call it Powered Up 2, because it's clearly based on MM2 anyway, and Powered Up already had a whole level editor feature built in, so it's not like that's anything new.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

Pork Pro
I honestly really liked the new Bionic Commando as well, story excluded. The less said about that particular plot twist, the better. It seems to get a lot of flack for not being open world as well, but I think it did a nice job translating the original's "use the arm to navigate a linear area filled with horrible deathtraps" concept to a 3D space. Would've loved to see Grin get a second shot at it, but oh well.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

Pork Pro
I'm seriously heartbroken, but not completely shocked. :( The whole project was in a weird limbo state of not being greenlit and having Inafune leave Capcom early on. Honestly, after Universe was cancelled, I kind of knew Legends would follow. It's not pleasant to watch your favorite game series die a slow, protracted death, but I guess these games just don't sell anymore.

Between the cancellations of both (and the only, might I add) Mega Man projects and their refusal to localize the most recent Ace Attorney game, I'm seriously reconsidering if Capcom is actually a company worth giving my money to. Unfortunately, Capcom has me by the balls with MVC because I fuckin' love that poo poo. Also Asura's Wrath looks pretty great, and I like to support original, quality games even if they're coming from a company I'm very quickly losing faith in.

As terrible as this all is, I think I feel worst of all for the devroom fans whose designs and ideas will never actually get used. That's got to be an awful feeling. :smith:

The whole thing is just :smith: all around.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

Pork Pro

randombattle posted:

More like a mega-coaster that ends with a massive crash caused by poor maintence.

It's a shame the riders didn't want to get more involved with installing the brakes.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

Pork Pro
It gets even better.

His profile from Capcom Japan's website (emphasis mine):

Capcom Japan posted:

Mega Man
Middle Aged Hero!

Known as a Digger, a person who digs up relics from the past for research. He is a hot-tempered man, but has a strong sense of justice and is also very polite. His weak point is that he is easily rattled when backed into a corner. He is always running around in a hurry due to the demands of his partner Roll, and this time he’s been asked to travel to Antarctica to retrieve a mysterious box.

That's just sadistic

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

Pork Pro
Not that anyone needs further confirmation that Xover is poo poo, but here's some hands-on impressions of it from someone attending the Tokyo Game Show:

http://www.gamesabyss.com/rockman-is-over-xover-hands-on-impressions/

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

Pork Pro

Glenn_Beckett posted:

OH MY GOD I'M AN ADDICT

Where are you getting these, and please tell me they've got the Mega Man 3 robot masters available as well.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

Pork Pro
Wow, what a bizarre series of events. Was that Rolento I saw as one of the bosses? It actually looks pretty loving fun, all things considered.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

Pork Pro

Boxman posted:

That being said the four Wily bosses should be Sagat, Bison, Gill, and Seth, and if its anyone else in any other order I'll be very disappointed. :colbert:

I figured it'd be Balrog/Vega/Sagat/Bison, but with the Alpha characters in there I suppose the entire series is fair game. To be honest I hope they go completely nuts with it, I wanna fight a BalrogTank and a giant, Gamma style M. Bison or something.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

Pork Pro
Coming from someone who absolutely adores MM10, even I'll admit the weapons kind of suck. It's a shame that the Mega Man Killer weapons were relegated to DLC, because the Mirror Buster and Screw Crusher are just such joys to play with.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

Pork Pro
So after playing Street Fighter X Mega Man for a bit, it comes across as...alright. Honestly, I sort of feel bad since it's a fun little fangame with some neat ideas that was thrust into the spotlight and given expectations that far exceed its scope.

The level designs are the weakest part. I've only beaten two stages (Rolento and Chun-Li) and the constantly respawning enemies and flat, bland segments really spoil a lot of the fun. There's some fun setpieces, like the Rush Jet bit at the beginning of Rose's stage and the laser sequence in Viper's. That last one is spoiled by the laser not stopping at the ladder. It's really a dick move.

The boss battles are enjoyable and the couple of weapons I've used are fun, but everything needs polish and some sort of save system needs to be patched in. The music is excellent though!

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

Pork Pro
Hah, it's funny that Wily Wars and that survey came up at the same time, since I told Capcom I'd like to see a port of that in the notes. Even if it's not a super great game, I'd still like to see it available in a non-obtuse manner in the US.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

Pork Pro

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

Isn't Contra 4 pretty much the only good game they've ever made, though?

The Shantae games they've made are really good, as is the Adventure Time game. I'd certainly like to see their take on a Mega Man game. Treasure is another company I'd love to see give the series a shot.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

Pork Pro
I just wish they'd release some nice figures of the robot masters and mavericks for once. I'd buy the hell out of a D-Arts Snake Man or Boomer Kuwanger, among others.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

Pork Pro
I like design A the best, it's unique and goofy and seems to fit in well with the rest of the art. But yeah, F's gonna win.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

Pork Pro
Eh, this isn't the first time Capcom's done something like this, as it was pointed out somewhere that they've used Ingrid from the cancelled Capcom Fighting All-Stars game in several other fighting games. It's nice to see her used for something, I guess.

Maybe they'll turn Aero into a running gag, making cameo appearances in nearly every game, like Nippon Ichi does with Asagi from the cancelled Makai Wars. :v:

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

Pork Pro
The pain of what will never be consumes me. :sigh: Can we get Hitoshi Ariga to direct the next (lol) Mega Man game? After reading Megamix and Gigamix, that dude just loving GETS it.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

Pork Pro

RaspberryCommie posted:

On the subject of Megaman comics. Is that Megamix comic any good? I saw that fan animation someone posted of it earlier and it looks pretty cool. Thinking about checking it out.

It's very, very good. It's actually split into two series, Megamix and Gigamix, both are 3 volumes each. Ariga does a lot of cool stuff with fleshing out the world and characters, and the Stardroids storyline in Gigamix is especially fantastic.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

Pork Pro

Symbolic Butt posted:

I'd donate for the voice of Aqua Man (but you can call him handsome guy) to be in the game.

Fixed this for you.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

Pork Pro

IronicDongz posted:

MM9 isn't hard just because it has the black hole bomb.

MM10 is the better game in general, and probably the best 'classic' Megaman. It's crazy to me that there is more than one person in here who doesn't like it.

I'm glad someone else agrees with me, as MM10 is my second favorite classic series game after 3. I can't pinpoint why, though. All I know is I liked it enough to replay it on hard, which is something I never do. The bosses getting additional attacks on hard was a great touch. Also the music loving rules, but I guess that's a given. The DLC Mega Man Killer weapons are really, really fun to play with as well and probably should have been included as part of the base game since they fix the whole "MM10 weapons suck" complaint, but it is what it is.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

Pork Pro
So Rockman Corner put up an interesting article on what's mostly likely keeping Mega Man Legends off of PSN.

TL;DR it's essentially that MML has a couple of real-world Japanese products featured on some textures and Sony won't allow Capcom to alter it. Also the article reminded me that Teisel Bonne's voice actor is a convicted pedo, and that's depressing. :smith:

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

Pork Pro
Not sure if anyone else cares, but apparently Archie is putting the Mega Man comic on "indefinite hiatus" after issue 53. Rumor has it that it's due more to financial issues at Archie limiting how many series they can publish rather than sales figures or anything to do with Capcom. It wasn't perfect, but I really liked it and I'm bummed out now. :smith:

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

Pork Pro
If I can't get Legends 3, I will gladly take Not-Legends 3. I hope there's a newspaper clipping or something somewhere in it describing a successful moon rescue mission. :v:

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

Pork Pro
With any luck it'll include the Saturn version of 8 and all the DLC for 9 and 10. 10 especially benefits from the DLC since the Mega Man Killer weapons are fun as hell and go a long ways towards fixing that game's mediocre weapon set.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

Pork Pro
My dark horse theory with the X collections is that they’ll make the first collection X1-6 to equal the first legacy collection for the classic series, and then make the 2nd collection 7, 8, and Command Mission as a surprise announcement.

I’m basing this off of pretty much nothing but trying to divide up X6 and X7 in a sensible way to make people buy both. Oh and they included the Command Mission outfit in MvC so they remember that game exists!

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

Pork Pro

SeANMcBAY posted:

Weaseletta & Terror Teddy should be in Mega Man 11.

Also Optic Man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

Pork Pro

Petiso posted:

It doesn't say much to me as a whole, but the themes that start with an original piece and then transition into a remix of the OG robot master's stage never fail to make me all tingly.

Fireman.exe’s stage is so good in this regard