Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

http://www.themmnetwork.com/2009/12/11/meet-a-robot-master-commando-man/

More Mega Man 10 info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cabbagepots posted:

It pisses me off that MM10 is just going to be another NES-style game. It seems that Capcom has found an easy-to-produce cash cow that they're going to milk dry.

I mean, alright, I loving get it, NES-style graphics have a nostalgic charm, make a new loving game already. When are we going to see a truly modern, epic return of Megaman? When MM9 was first announced I was hoping that's what it would be, but instead it ended up just being an NES throwback. I just sort of half-smiled when I find out about it, and I was hopeful that it was just a graphical thing and hopefully it would throw an interesting gameplay twist somewhere within, then I bought it and found out that it was basically just a Megaman 3 romhack with absolutely nothing new.

The "brand new NES game" gimmick was cute at first but now it's just getting loving lame and I'm worried that Capcom is going to keep doing this forever. I want to see a really new take on Megaman that does for the series what Super Mario Galaxy did for Mario, not just NES rehashes for Megaman 9 through 500.

And by the way, the charge shot rules, why the gently caress are they leaving it out AGAIN? :argh:

I honestly think, "romhack" or no, that the original Mega Man feels better in 8-bit. Their attempts to update it, like MM8 or Mega Man and Bass, always felt awkward to me. It's entirely possible they could maintain the 8-bit design while updating the graphics, but I somehow get the feeling they'd get the shaft for doing that, especially from reviewers, for keeping the gameplay "outdated" without being intentionally retro. I'd love to see a Mega Man that played 8-bit and looked modern, but I don't see that happening.

Mega Man is not an overly complex game formula, and the more you add to it, the more you risking messing it up or changing what people like. I like the X games as well as the Mega Man games, but they do feel pretty different, despite being fairly similar in structure, and that only grew worse as the series progressed and you started getting things like Zero and Axl. I know people who love every Mega Man game and just can't enjoy X, and vice-versa. They don't want new gameplay gimmicks or complex new mechanics. They just want to blow up robot masters in fun levels. Keep in mind that there are people who love old-school 2D Mario, but just can't enjoy Galaxy or 64 or Sunshine. They don't like how it plays, and it isn't Mario to them.

As for the charge shot: They're not leaving it out. Proto Man is playable from the beginning, and if you remember MM9, Proto Man has the Charge Shot and Slide. They're not giving it to Mega Man so that the characters play differently.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fonzarelli posted:

You fucker, i didn't know who raped Sue Dibny yet. I was right in the middle of that arc.

You didn't even find out Sue was raped until you find out who did it!

Anyway, back in Mega Man related stuff: I'm hoping that the 8-bit Mega Man does mean that they eventually go back to the X series. While I liked the Zero games, they were really not anything like the X games. I'd like to see them go back to the basics there. No Axl, maybe Zero, just animal-themed robot enemies, armor pieces and a hidden Street Fighter move somewhere.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Metal Blade is just the best Mega Man weapon. You get a bunch of shots for every pip of WE, it does a ton of damage, and it fires in any direction? God drat, Light should have just replaced the Mega Buster with that thing. Wily's greatest creation isn't Zero, it's the drat Metal Blade.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mathaeis posted:

Thank you for reminding me about Texas Faggott. My friend played that song for me years ago, and I lost the CD he burned for me with it on it.

I think part of that is due to the obvious limitations of the amount of text a typical DS (or typical Mega Man) game ends up having, as well as a pretty terrible translation, too.

And yeah, I wonder about that as well - is it possible to do Mega Man seriously without changing it wildly? I mean, I could get into it myself, but I know a lot of others that would be much less lenient on it simply due to the past 22 years of showing us a lighter side of things. And as BattleMaster said, all this dark and serious stuff (in the flash, at least) has become cliche to an extent.

For the sake of argument, what level of seriousness would you want/expect from a movie, if one was to be made? Would there be any way to portray it without completely ruining the movie/the IP that is Mega Man? Is there a safe middle ground (fun action movie versus serious dyspotian movie)?

Mega Man is not inherently a very serious concept. Even the X and Zero games, which were in the GRIM DARK FUTURE, were pretty drat silly. (X moreso then Zero, which is just depressing a lot of time.) The more serious you make it, the harder it becomes to take seriously because the very concept is so silly. Beyond a certain point, it just stops resembling Mega Man. I mean, the MMX4 cutscenes were hilarious because of terrible acting, but they were still pretty ridiculous even outside of that context.

You really don't need to go Bomberman: Act Zero on Mega Man. It's a fairly cheerful and fun concept, and there is nothing wrong with that. There are plenty of games about angry robots blowing up other angry robots to be found.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

http://www.capcom.co.jp/rockman/zero/index.html

Rockman Zero Collection for the Nintendo DS. Features Rockman Zero 1-4, and will presumably be getting a US release. Not a bad deal.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

I recall Oyster saying a while back in one of his Megaman marathon streams that(despite appearances) Model A actually stand for Model Albert, not Axl, and that Capcom has declared X7 and X8 not canon in the X series.

Yeah, Model A is designed to make you think "Hey, this is this Axl" and then the big reveal is, nope, it's some other guy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Namek-jin Arse posted:

Just because I have a finely tuned ear and can instantly pick up the annoying, gameplay experience spoiling mistakes doesn't mean I know music theory. You know what parts I mean, and you know why it sounds terrible. Don't feign ignorance.

Or... maybe people like different kinds of music? It's possible for you to dislike a song and not have the song be objectively terrible, you know. (It's also possible to like a song that is actually pretty lovely!)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Namek-jin Arse posted:

I know. I can for example understand if someone enjoys Mega Man 5 or 8's music the most out of the entire series, despite the fact that I find it quite boring.

Yes, but you're going here "This music is objectively terrible! I don't know music theory and am simply basing this off my own opinion, but everyone who disagrees with me is WRONG WRONG WRONG."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

I always save Flash Stopper for Quick Man himself, it knocks about half his life off.

Quick Man's a total puss anyway though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm hearing rumors (rumors, mind you) that it is kind of a Little Big Planet version of Mega Man, where players can creation various combinations of levels and powers, and Capcom will be selling more as DLC. It seems too good to be true, but we'll see.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

It doesn't look very mmoey to me.

Mega Man Universe isn't the MMO, it's a PSN/Live game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fantasy Tripe posted:

Don't think he was trying to contradict what you were saying or anything but rather stating the opinion that the resemblance to Astroboy is more intentional that what your post suggested.

On that note, X is pretty much Casshern once you get all the armor upgrades (though that might actually be just cause they both got the samurai style head ornaments).

edit nah, this poo poo be deliberate http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG2W05xJ76o Rush is Friender and Sigma is Braiking Boss and 70s anime openings are awesome.

It's very deliberate. The dog enemies in the NES games are literally named "Friender."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I actually thought the way Mega Man 10 handled the charge/slide thing was the best possible option. A lot of people prefer classic Mega Man, but if you really want the option for an improved version, there's Proto Man. Making him DLC in MM9 was a bit unreasonable in that regard, but he wasn't in 10, and so you could have Mega Man how you liked him. Also Bass, but Bass was Easy Mode.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The thing is that you're assuming they're doing it because it is fashionable, instead of because simplicity is what people want from their games. The 8-bit style is certainly done as a nostalgia thing, but the more casual gamers I know who enjoyed Mega Man 9 and 10 do so because it is the right blend of simple and easy to learn that they can play it and have fun. You can make arguments about Slide or Charge, but I know people who have steadily enjoyed the Mega Man franchise less the more mechanics have been added to it.

Mega Man was never supposed to be a super-hardcore series, and that is why Mega Man 2 is the most fondly remembered. It is the right balance of simplicity and difficulty that a lot of people enjoy it a lot.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

http://www.capcom-unity.com/jgonzo/blog/2010/09/15/tgs_2010:_mega_man_universe_customization_videos

New Mega Man universe videos showing off the customization

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Sep 16, 2010

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WDIIA posted:

Again I must be some sort of aberration because while it has its challenging points I thought MM9 was fairly easy

Maybe I'm better at MM games than I think I am, I don't know

I felt the same way. I'm honestly kind of confused that it has such legendary difficulty, especially considering you get weapons like Jewel Satellite.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AzraelNewtype posted:

Jewel Satellite does nothing against the many, many pits and irritatingly placed spike traps. Almost none of my deaths in MM9 came from loss of health, but I still can't really get through it.

Well, I'm not doubting you or anything, I guess I just don't see it. In addition to Jewel Satellite, you get Concrete Shot and the various Rush things and other ways to make things easier even without dipping into the shop. I certainly agree there are some bullshit areas, but most of it seemed pretty reasonable to me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Uh, wow. He apparently wants to keep making games though, and claims that his reason for this is because it would be "death for a creator" to stay in a high position. He also says, however, that he probably won't be working with Capcom again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Benjamin Black posted:

I stopped caring about Mega Man the moment it became anime.

So you never liked Mega Man then?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Benjamin Black posted:

Pretty much. I came into the series really late into the NES days (due to my age) and then I rented Mega Man X and it was terrible. So I rented Mega Man X2 and it was terrible. And then for some reason I rented Mega Man X3.. I wasn't the brightest child.

I think the only game I liked since Mega Man 6 (not counting 10) was Mega Man Battle Network.

10 is awesome though holy poo poo.

The problem here is that the NES games were also anime. In fact, they were a thinly veiled homage to Neo-Human Casshern with a slight bit of Astro Boy art style. That's all they've ever been.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Benjamin Black posted:

I'm not eager to get into an argument as to what is and isn't anime (it seems odd to me to put that label 8-bit graphics), but I will say the style it transitioned into was not to my satisfaction. The 3D games are definitely the biggest offender in my book.

That's fine if you didn't enjoy the gameplay of the later games, but "anime" isn't really a description that makes that clear, especially since you've praised Mega Man Battle Network which... well, to put it bluntly, is pretty fuckin' anime-inspired.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Those games used pixels too. In fact, every game, ever, has used pixels. I don't think you understand the definition of the word "pixel". I think you're talking about the isometric world design, right? Or are you talking about the in-fight layout?

I believe he says that he mostly likes the games that use sprites, but doesn't like the gameplay of the X games or the 3D visuals of the Legends games. Which seems pretty straightforward and reasonable.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Screaming Idiot posted:

He has an extremely good point about Japanese games in general, though. They're afraid to take chances, instead giving us rehash over rehash of the same old poo poo, and Capcom's pretty much the guiltiest party of this around since their most of their popular franchises are pretty much romhacks of their previous titles.

Except this isn't true, unless you're talking about video games in general, Western and Japanese. Unless you're intentionally ignoring any new IP released by Japan this year while at the same time ignoring the fact that pretty much every notable game that came out this month was a pretty direct/incremental sequel to the previous one. Fallout, Fable, The Force Unleashed, Assassin's Creed and probably even Call of Duty.

He has valid points, but a lot of what he's saying is pretty weird too. His discussion about why Western developers are superior is incredibly arrogant (on his behalf, not theirs) and he implies that they have technical knowhow but no creativity.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

flatluigi posted:

So I've never beaten a Megaman game and have only briefly attempted 1 and 9. I'm aware that the story isn't really that important, so which games should I do first?

If you want a really solid starting place, most people would tell you to play Mega Man 2.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mister Roboto posted:

I dunno, I guess so? I wasn't alive for another 10 years. Star Wars: Phantom Menace was the most memorable cartoonish action I saw as a little kid.

Way to make me feel really god damned old.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mister Roboto posted:

Well, granted it started off as an Astroboy clone, but it really seemed to branch off in its own direction with the humans vs robot warring. I think we all agree X4/5 were the best of the SNES era. The Zero games were about the same.

Then it seemed to go in a circle BACK to more weird anime archetypes.

Nah, it was just more Casshern then Astro Boy after a while. You can't even call the similarities a coincidence considering that they even homage Casshern's dog Friender in multiple ways, including literally including a robot enemy dog named Friender.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Mar 3, 2011

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

This. Japanese people in general can't write a story worth poo poo. Try watching an anime.

Yes, you're right. Japanese children's/manchildren's cartoons do mean that the entire country, as a whole, is completely incapable of ever producing anything of worth. Thank goodness you're here to show us that those foreign people are completely worthless compared to wonderful American storylines like Guy Gardner dual-wielding chainsaws made of pukeblood which are, clearly, the height of good storytelling.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

Okay, that comment was way overgeneralized, my bad. Though Japanese anime\video games are generally pretty much the same in terms of style, and both tend to be really, really retarded. Not always, but usually.

Japan is the country that gave us Akira Kurosawa after all, so no, I don't mean that literally every story written in Japan sucks.

That's fair and I can certainly agree with that. Sorry, I shouldn't have been so snappish about it, that just struck me as a bit much.

Japanese video games are often pretty drat bad/just recycled from other stuff, and it's tiresome after a while. I'd be a drat liar if I didn't say American stuff did this too, but Hollywood tropes tend to have a wider appeal so it isn't as noticeable.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 3, 2011

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

http://www.capcom.co.jp/megaman_universe/

Mega Man Universe cancelled.

Welp. Guess that's that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ohnoitschris posted:

I don't know if I'm exactly going to buy the "Megaman Universe" canceled story today, considering it's April Fools Day and all. Sounds like a lame joke to me. Didn't Megaman 9 and 10 sell hand over fist?

This was posted March 31st. The Japanese website even specifically says the date is March 31st when it was posted.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fargin Icehole posted:

I'm not sure how many times the fan made game, Corrupted, has been linked in this thread, but that's about the only chance you'll see something like that.

Most Resistance members wore a beret. This is the only reason i can think of.

I think what Capcom tried to do was stick to the theme of killing Animal-like robots in the Zero series, but add small details like completely different names to set them apart. I have no idea what the hell a Magnion is, but i guess with a name like "Phoenix", I can tell he might be fire based, and i guess that's good enough for me.

Why couldn't they name Dr.Weil something else though? Did they have to make it sound similar to Wily? Is it the W that they needed, and they couldn't find a more intimidating name?

He's not even called Dr. Weil in the Japanese version if I recall. Something more like Dr. Vile? Which would cause problems with a different character translated as Vile, I guess...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

"When you were a kid?" How old are you, 16? When people call the Game Boy Advance or PS2 or whatever "old school", I feel incredibly freaking old. And I'm only 24.

It's been 6 years since Zero 4 came out. Even assuming he was only 12 when it came out, he'd be over 18 now.

You are an old man now. We're all old men.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Avocadoes posted:

Is this just going to be for the 3DS or Nintendo platform only? Im hoping not. At the same time...I think id shell out money for a 3DS just to play this game. My childhood: :smith:

It was announced for the 3DS when it was announced, so yes, probably so.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Himuro posted:

So are we ever going to get a new Mega Man that's not a classic MM or something? I miss X and Z. :(

Well, there is Legends 3. Beyond that? Probably not anytime soon. Inafune left to go cameo in Hyperdimension Neptunia and Capcom doesn't seem to have much interest in pushing it. See: cancellation of Mega Man Universe.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

http://www.capcom-unity.com/devroom/blog/2011/07/18/a_message_from_capcom

Welp.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Niton posted:

I can't imagine Capcom making a net gain in profit off of a decision like that, even if it would lose money. If there's a fanbase that doesn't actually need your new games to enjoy it, it's Megaman.

I strongly suspect Capcom just doesn't believe Mega Man makes money anymore and nobody in the company is really pushing for it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I just wonder how Inafune feels about this. :smith:

He's too busy cameoing in Hyperdimension Neptunia 2.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

S-Alpha posted:

So, what're the odds that Capcom never intended to make MML3 in the first place, and just set this all up as a big way to draw attention to themselves? I wouldn't put it past them at this point.

Pretty unlikely considering that some form of demo was actually created.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

al-azad posted:

Maybe if more people supported the train wreck that was Resident Evil Mercenaries Capcom would have more faith in the 3DS as a viable platform, eh?

Mercenaries wasn't a train wreck. It is an entirely plotless score attack game with a save system that got blown ridiculously out of proportion by people who have no idea what kind of game it is and believed it was something else entirely because half the people who reported on the game basically made poo poo up.

More than likely, what happened is that Legends was begrudgingly accepted back when Inafune was around to push for it, he left, and nobody in the company was left to actually support the title amongst the higher ups. I suspect all the "hey fans, help us out" stuff was an attempt by the staff to show Capcom there was interest in it. The fact that they cancelled it anyway is depressing.