Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Man, I'm so happy they're making another. If they just keep making one NES Megaman after another until the end of time, I will gladly buy every single one. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I already gladly buy each and every new 2D Castlevania, too. If it's fun, I don't care if it's "innovative" and "fresh". I shameless;y admit that I am a nostalgia whore!

Fake Edit: Also, I love it how Cabbagepots is always wrong, no matter what he's talking about. :mmmhmm:

Real Edit: The Charge Shot can honestly suck me as long as they bring back the slide.

Real Edit Again: A game about Androids, with an Electric Sheep. That is brilliant. I love it.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 13, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I would rather have Legends 3 over a new X game. Legends is so underrated. The latter half of the X games are so hosed up, I'm not sure if I want any more. That is, unless they make an SNES styled game that retcons X5-X8 out of existence.

The classic Mega Man series has never jumped the shark, though. Even though 8 and Megaman and Bass are a little weak, they're not terrible.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

quakster posted:

If it helps mend your pain, X6-8 technically aren't canon.

Really? Where'd you hear that?

Something that really grinds my gears about the later X games, aside from the fact that X6 and X7 are legitimately really crappy games, is that in X2, X3 and X4, they keep telling you that X is going to have to kill Zero in some epic battle. They did fight in X5, but it was hardly epic. It would have been okay if X5 was the last game, or even if they kept doing them and left out Zero, but nope, he's back in X6 with no explanation. Then in X7, X isn't even playable from the start as is replaced with that annoying Axl guy. X8 isn't a bad game, per se, but it isn't that great either, and the fact that its a sequel to X7 makes it harder for me to enjoy it.

I know it's kinda dumb to complain about the storyline in a Mega Man game of all things, but when you're a kid growing up with them, and they don't give you what they promised, you get pretty disappointed.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

:words:

Guess you just suck, I beat MM9 the day I got it. You think Mega Man is hard? Play some old school NES Castlevania.

And you don't go back to Wily 1 if you hit continue.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Mega Man 1 - Built by Dr. Light for assorted tasks, reprogrammed by Wily.
Mega Man 2 - Built by Wily to destroy Mega Man.
Mega Man 3 - Wily says he was only temporarily insane, and the 8 robots are made by Light and Wily to mine for rare elements for Construction of the super-robot Gamma (last boss of MM3)
Mega Man 4 - Built by Dr. Cossack to destroy Mega Man after Wily kidnaps his daughter Kalinka and forces him to do it.
Mega Man 5 - ??? Presumably made by Wily.
Mega Man 6 - Made by assorted designers to fight in a tournament.
Mega Man 7 - Wily.
Mega Man 8 - Also Wily.
Mega Man 9 - Made by Light, reprogrammed by Wily.

Mega Man 8's manual had specific bios and described what was going through Wily's head when he built each Robot Master. I.e. he was went overboard making Clown Man, and all the leftover parts were slapped on a refrigerator and Frost Man was born.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Boxman posted:

I would buy this for maybe 6 of the 8, but what was the point of Shadow Man and Top Man?

Hey man, I'm not behind the story, Capcom is.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

I'd like to see the world the way Dr. Wily does, if just for a day.

It's easy, just get hooked on crack.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

swamp waste posted:

at last... A Mega Man game for ADULTS!!

I can't think of a reason why games about lil cartoon robots fighting should not be accessible to children.

I don't know about you man, I want a Mega Man game where he looks like a quarterback and has a chainsaw gun covered in spikes and snorts cocaine off hookers' tits and fights demon guys from warhammer 40k and swims in pools of blood of the mortals! And with lots of metal.

Oh wait, that's for people who are mentally children, never mind.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

xezton posted:

Hey, goons came up with "Phalanx Man" for Mega Man Returns, so you never know!

Those fuckers at Capcom stole my ideas... twice! First Plug Man, then the Roman guy.

Can't say I'm mad, though.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Smoke posted:

Speaking of being a good fan:

Own hosting, and my left arm. I've also got most of the Bandai Mega Armor toyline, and all of the Bandai Japan-only Battle Network 2 toys(Base Megaman.EXE form in a specific Style, with 3 weapons, Forte and Blues were also released as part of this)

One of my college buddies has Zero tattooed on his arm. It makes me cry inside whenever I see it.

I, for one, wouldn't get a tattoo of Zero.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

now this makes me wonder if anyone has gotten Zero's booblights tattooed on themselves

My God...

He's got the GBA game version of Zero, so I don't think that one has the boobs. Although you seem to be referring to his boobs on their boobs, which would be horrifying.

I'm never putting nerdy tattoos on my body. It's already pretty amazing that I get laid as is. I need to look as outwardly normal as possible.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

ohnoitschris posted:

NO

MegaMan 8 is one of the hardest games I've ever played. As a kid I only ever beat GrenadeMan, and only recently, playing through it as an adult, am I making it through the game. I'm at the second set of bosses going through and trying to find as many screws as possible to buy upgrades before I take them on and move on.

I'd never have made it past the first four if it weren't for the no-knockback-on-hit add-on.

No, 8 is easy as poo poo. Probably the easiest of the classic games other than 6.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

CloseFriend posted:

There are four words wrong with Mega Man 8: "Jump. Jump. Slide. Slide."

That is almost literally the only hard part of the entire game. Just about everything other than the sled sections is pretty easy.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Smoke posted:

I've favored R-button dashing over A-button dashing since the Zero games.

Me too. Before, if I was charging and had to do a dash jump, I would kind of roll the side of my thumb over all three buttons. It's awkward. Making dash a shoulder button makes the X games play sooo much better.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I would take one Legends sequel over ten X sequels. The X series is pretty much done. Legends ends on a cliffhanger.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I think they made model kits of them or something.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

The Merkinman posted:

It was supposed to be Chill Woman

:tinfoil:

I'm gonna sue!

...Oh. Oh, wait a sec.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

The difference between the weapons in Mega Man 9 versus most other games was that this time around they were all actually useful.

Nitro Man looks really cool. Strike Man is a giant baseball with arms and legs.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Viral Thorn posted:

WTF, Capcom. When will you learn that 'original' and 'unique' != good. Guy made of swords? Awesome. A loving robot baseball? gently caress YOU we're not six years old anymore :argh:

Is that a fakepost? Dude, it's Mega Man. Since like the second game we had a robot log with limbs and a zippo robot.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

skipThings posted:

Despite the obvious trolling, but you could have at least gone with Sheep- instead of Strikeman.

Sheep Man is genius, because at least according to Mega Man, androids do indeed dream of electric sheep.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Transformers Animated was actually pretty good. It's the best Transformers show since Beast Wars. Although that's not saying much as basically for years Transformers has simply been terrible anime.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

8 isn't a bad game. It's just that the rest of the classic series is better. In my opinion, all 9 classic games are worth playing. Although only the first 4 X games are worth it. I actually like X4 the second best after X1, the gameplay and visuals are really nice, although the story, music and voices are awful.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Ryvannis posted:

Why does it feel like each Megaman series is incomplete? We never get the jist of the stories. They never even expanded on Zero's survival at the end of Zero (probably dead)and skipped right over to ZX. I disliked ZX and ZXA because there were no concrete connections to any of the previous games in terms of the characters, and no the biometals don't count.

The story gaps are so huge in between all the games.

Well... yes, except for the classic series. The classic series could end right now and it would feel "complete", but I really don't want it to because I love the games so much.

Legends is literally incomplete as Legends 2 ended on a cliffhanger for a sequel that never got made.

The X series... well, purposely left out details in the beginning and gradually gave hints to the backstory as it went along. Like, in X2, Sigma hinted Zero was made by Dr. Wily, then in X3 and X4 it says X must destroy Zero, and in X4, it more or less outright states that Zero was made by Wily and was the originator of the Maverick virus.

Then X5 came out and my younger self got the biggest case of blue balls ever. The battle between X and Zero was less then epic (he should have been the last boss). Then in X6, Zero comes back like nothing happened, and they totally ignore pretty much everything the first few games were leading up to. I grew up getting each Mega Man X game when they came out and really, really loved Mega Man as a kid. Since I was a little tyke, and still now, he's my favorite video game character. For me, the direction the X series went in was one of the biggest disappointments in my life next to the Star Wars Prequels.

I know, I know, that's a goony rear end thing to say, in fact the gooniest thing I have ever said, but luckily X5 and Star Wars are the biggest disappointments I've had and not something serious. I might take that back if my future son winds up as a total waste of sperm but for now my life hasn't been that horrible.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Sometimes I would start on Toxic Seahorse. Yeah, it's beatable.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

xezton posted:

Everyone sucks at Mega Man games on their first play-through unless they've seen the levels played beforehand or are some kind of cyborg.

<--- Cyborg. :awesomelon:

Honestly... the music in MM10 doesn't seem that bad. I mean, it's not fantastic, but it's not horrible. It's about on par with MM4, which had music that was kinda meh. Hardly memorable but not hard on the ears. Graphically, it seems about on par with 5, 6 and 9 which were the best looking NES style games (mind you I said "best looking", 2 and 3 are better games overall than 5 and 6).

Then again, I'm not too picky with classic series games. I really enjoy every entry in the main classic series, yes, even 8. The only classic series games I'm not that crazy for are Game Boy Mega Man I and II, and Megaman and Bass. And before you ask, no, the MS-DOS games, Battle and Chase, Rockboard and the like don't count.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Orcasword posted:

This is out in the states now, anybody else planning on getting this?

Already got it. Saw it on my trip to the comic shop today, and even while I'm not a fan of manga, I picked it because I figured "Hey, it's Megaman, why the hell not?"

Haven't read it yet, so I have no idea how good the quality is. Only manga I ever really liked was this Star Trek one because it was humorously bizarre, but you all probably realize by now that I am shameless classic Megaman fanboy who will love anything with the blue bomber slapped on it.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Namek-jin Arse posted:

All the composers who I'm criticising are Japanese so I don't know why you're bringing things like that up. Also have any of you heard the official Mega Man 9 remix album? It sounded like someone took midis and randomly changed the instruments with the most bizarre bad choices they could find, or did you guys love that poo poo too?

Okay that album was kinda poo poo, I will give you that, but MM9's music itself was pretty good. Concrete Man's stage music is so awesome.

Out of the classic games, even games with lackluster soundtracks had a couple cool songs here and there, like Flame Man or the Wily music in 4 or whatever. The only game that really had consistently crappy music in my opinion was 8. And even then there were a few songs here and there that were okay.

But honestly it's a little early to be judging MM10's soundtrack when all we've heard is small bits of like two songs.

Evil Sock posted:

So...Mega Man 10, right? It looks fun.

I would say "most likely yes".

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Namek-jin Arse posted:

I Agree wholeheartedly, in fact I think its one of the best classic series soundtracks. All the more reason I'm so disappointed with what I've heard from 10 so far.

Dude, you've like heard 20 seconds of two songs. Stop bitching.

Besides, Mega Man 2 and 3 are two of the best video game soundtracks ever. If Mega Man 10 doesn't sound as good... that's okay. And totally understandable. It's still probably going to be a really good game.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Namek-jin Arse posted:

I think Mega Man 9 came really close if not on par.

Nah. There were a few songs that were really good. But as a whole it wasn't as good. But that's cool. You can't expect it to be as good. Mega Man 6 isn't as good as 2 or 3, but that doesn't make it a horrible game. Sex is pretty fun. I like Mega Man 2 a lot, but I wouldn't say it's better than sex. Just because it isn't better than sex doesn't mean it sucks.

Although as to whether Mega Man 3 is better than sex, I kinda have to think about that one...

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Where the hell do I buy these!?!?

I loving want that.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Clockspider posted:

Mega Man Universe looks loving fantastic. I want to own it so bad.

Uhh haven't seen any actual gameplay yet I don't think.

A Megaman LBP is a good idea, though. Hope it comes out for 360.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

How much you wanna bet the characters that people actually want like Protoman, X and Zero will be DLC?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Woebin posted:

Oh wow, really didn't expect them to finish that movie. It's pretty bad, but if the same guy was given a proper budget and better casting it would have been surprisingly okay. Better than many other video game movies, at least.

Huh, I'm also surprised it got finished. Never realized it did. It's kinda lovely, but it's got me thinking. A live action Mega Man could actually work, but not in the way you'd think.

A Hollywood style Mega Man would be an utter failure, but where Mega Man could totally work as a Japanese style Tokusatsu show along the lines of Super Sentai (Power Rangers) or Kamen Rider. Make it totally over the top, corny kid-friendly and don't give it a serious tone. Mega Man would work great in a "monster of the week" type show, given the variety of Robot Masters. Robot Masters would have to wear cheesy Power Ranger-esque rubber costumes and Sniper Joes would totally work as the putty patrol.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Mega Man was pretty much directly inspired (ripped off) from Astro Boy.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Screaming Idiot posted:

Hurrfdurrf Megaman 8 sucks! *jerks off to games purposely made to look old and lovely*

You know what? You just don't get Mega Man. If you don't like the games, fine, but stop making GBS threads up this thread.

Megaman 9 and 10 are hardly mediocre. Yes, I am a huge sucker of nostalgia. But 9 is a quality made game, and actually better than most of the games that came before it. The lack of charge and slide and conscious gameplay decisions. Ever notice how in the games with the charging, you'd never bother using the other weapons for anything but bosses?

And dude, what the hell is up with all the hatred of 8-bit gaming? Did an NES rape your mother or something?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Screaming Idiot posted:

I own every single Megaman game, including 2 copies of Megaman Soccer, Wily and Right's Rockboard, every version of MM8, MMX3, MMX4, and even Superadventure Rockman. I like the 8-bit games, but I hate when companies purposely release an inferior product to appeal to a niche artist because it's "trendy".

Right now, it's loving fashionable to be a "geek". I hate that instead of making a game that at least tries to improve its predecessors they released what are essentially romhacks of MM2.

GEEKS ARE COOL NOW SO I CANT BE ONE BWWAAGGHHH!!!!

Mega Man 9 and 10 aren't inferior products. Mega Man 9 is almost on par with 2 and 3, better than a lot of previous games (5, 6, 7, 8...). The weapons are amazingly well thought out, and is probably Mega Man's best and most useful arsenal to date. It's not a romhack as there's tons of fresh new stages gimmicks and an entirely new cast of enemies.

10 was less original than 9, and didn't wow me quite as much, but it's still a quality game. If you want new features, it has challenge mode, time attack, endless mode etc.

And sometimes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. This especially applies to Mega Man. Capcom has had a lot of experience failing when they tried to change the formula. Look at what happened later on in the X series. Mega Man 8. Superadventure Rockman. And while the Battle Network series is popular, a lot of people, including me, loathe them.

A game doesn't have to be original to be good. 90% of games aren't that original. You have every Mega Man game. You should know this. Mega Man is notorious for not being original. Mega Man has been thoroughly unoriginal for decades. If you want originality, you picked the wrong franchise, buddy.

All I want is good old classic Mega Man. You could make a game with the same basic gameplay, but with new levels, weapons, enemies and bosses, and I'd be happy. If you don't want that, don't buy the game. And shut the gently caress up.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Sep 10, 2010

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Screaming Idiot posted:

I want the basic Megaman gameplay, but I want the game to look new. We have a quarter-century's worth of technology to work with and some of the best and most talented artists the gaming industry has ever seen, so why are we making games that would have looked dated 10 years ago? You can harp on how "simple and clean" 8-bit looks in comparison to the ridiculously pillowy look of the 32-bit games, but it's also possible to use that technology to make the game look up to date while retaining the same fun it had back in the day.

Also, I don't know why you're being so loving hostile to me. I want a higher-quality game, not another generic rehash of previous titles. I don't see why personal shots are necessary here.

Well you basically called everyone here retarded for not liking Mega Man 8 and implied that we all masturbate to lovely 8-bit videogames, so I would say that's probably where the hostility stems from.

You don't want 8-bit graphics? Cool whatever floats your boat. You don't have to rant about it for 40 posts though.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Also 8-bit doesn't necessarily mean "looks lovely". It all depends on how you use the tools you're given. The 8-bit Mega Man games are easily the best looking 8-bit games ever. I'd say MM6 looks a hell of a lot better than MM8, and it's three console generations behind.

It's not the power of the console that makes a game look good, it's what you do with it.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Mercury Crusader posted:

I have the Playstation version of MM8, was the Saturn version any better/worse?

Better. Tengu Man has better music, Cutman and Woodman are minibosses, and there's a sound test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Mega Man 3 is the best. Protoman, the slide, all the MM2 bosses, and it's twice as long.