Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mathaeis
Dec 16, 2007
severely pro
Since someone mentioned The Protomen, I'm going to have to mention some completely awesome guys: The Megas (http://www.myspace.com/themegas - my personal favorite is "The Annihilation of Monsteropolis").

Also, while I grew up playing the original series since the first one, I also think that the good X games are certainly near perfect. I really wish they didn't make as many bad ones as they did, though. I own all of them, but haven't beaten anything since 5 because of how terrible they were. I hear X8 fixed a lot of stuff, but after 7 I just didn't give enough of a drat to play it at the time. Not sure why I bought it at the time, but I guess I'll give it a shot in the future at some point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mathaeis
Dec 16, 2007
severely pro

Detective No. 27 posted:

The Megas are decent. Their vocalist isn't very good and they need someone better to write their lyrics, but the arrangement is drat good. I'm gonna say Monsteropolis is their best song. It can be downloaded for free at Overclocked Remix.
http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR01687/
I like the concept of their album. Each song is about a different Robot Master from Mega Man 2, but I wish they put more thought into the lyrics. Most of them are just angry/depressed. Would have been more creative to make each Robot Master represent a different emotion or something. Also, the album order is a bit arbitrary. Would have been clever if they put them in the weakness order.

They're no Protomen, but they grew on me.

I found out about The Megas first, and every time I mention them, everyone always mentions The Protomen as being way better. I've only heard a couple songs (which may be the problem) and what I heard really wasn't that impressive. I saw their live show and it didn't really do anything for me either (at Nerdapalooza, along with The Megas and others). Some Protomen fans of mine convinced me to buy the CD, explaining that you really have to read the lyrics and hear the entire thing to get the full effect. So I bought it, but have been busy and haven't sat down and listened to it just yet. I am looking forward to seeing if I can discover what everyone else seems to like about it, though.

That being said, while I personally really like the singers' voices in The Megas, I understand what you mean about the lyrics. Personally, though, that is something that works for me, a lot. I am someone that loves The Immortals "Mortal Kombat: The Album" non-ironically. It's cheesiness is what makes it fantastic, and the simplistic level of some of the Megas' content sort of goes along with the colorful, simple nature of the games.

However, I COMPLETELY agree that Mega Man is a world that has amazing potential for a serious, non-kiddie story, and from what I understand The Protomen deliver on that idea. Still, I find a big difference between the light-hearted fun of The Megas, and the disappointment Capcom can sometimes provide - like any of the English voices in the American games. "It's time to get serious!"

Swilo posted:

I tried the first GBA Zero game way back and got stuck on what I think was the second to last stage, even fully ground up the (mini?)boss still stomped me and I never tried the others. Wish it had been more linear anyway, are the sequels any worse? What's even up with the ZX games?

The Zero games were done by a completely different team, so the first game was them sort of figuring out how everything worked and such, and as a result is less polished and drat hard (in a 'makes you not want to play at times') way. The second and third are probably the best in the series from what I hear (I haven't played 3 yet, but my friend has explained all the details of the mechanics to me), and he said that 4, while good, is really just more of the same. By no means was it bad though.

If you like this sort of thing, Capcom made a Mega Man Zero art book which you can find on their site or Amazon, etc. I actually picked it up before the games a year or two ago, and it is absolutely fantastic! It's actually what prompted me to go out of my way to pick up the old titles. Along the same lines, there is a Mega Man art book that was released on Oct. 14th of this year, though Amazon has yet to get them in stock and ship my copy. Aside from that, a Mega Man X one is due out in 2 days, although I fear the same stocking delays might plague it as well.

mathaeis fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 12, 2009

mathaeis
Dec 16, 2007
severely pro

Swilo posted:

It was the same guys who did 9, right? Makes sense that the first wouldn't be so great if they had no experience, guess I'll cheat my way through that fight (I have literally given up at that spot on three separate playthroughs years apart) and finish it to play the others.

Yes, it was the same people - Inti Creates. I'm a bad fan and need to pick up 9 still. I'm really looking forward to the challenge. And more so now with 10. Sheep Man is awesome.

I want huge poster art of the covers of 9 and 10 in my living room. Too bad they only seem to be available in weird press kits.

Also - has anyone else had 'lag' issues with any of the collections for PS2/GC? I haven't had my Nintendo hooked up for ages, and felt like playing some old MM games a few months ago, and I couldn't for the life of me get past the jumps at the beginning of Toad Man's stage in MM4. I swear I couldn't have pressed the buttons any faster. Anyone else run into this?

mathaeis fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 13, 2009

mathaeis
Dec 16, 2007
severely pro
^^^ Holy poo poo that was depressing. I'm certainly glad I don't agree with that sort of view point personally (we are all posting in a Mega Man thread, hell yes), but it sad that a lot of other do.

Boxman posted:

I really, really like Mega Man X4, but holy moly those cutscenes were bad.

I...I am stunned. I can't believe I forgot how horrible these were. I made an AMV to this (:ohdear:) years and years ago and I guess since I had just seen that so much I pushed out of my mind how bad the acting was.

Then again, it's Capcom and an English dub, what should we expect?

Nothing but Jibble sandwiches, that's what.

mathaeis fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 13, 2009

mathaeis
Dec 16, 2007
severely pro

BexGu posted:

Yeah, the endingto 3 explained why the Robot Master in Megaman 1 where created. After that, no real reason for the Robot Masters creation is given.

So in the first game Megaman is killing his brother.

There are actually some sources out there that explain a lot more detail on the various robot masters. I'm assuming they are probably from some Japanese-only source, maybe early art books or something, but I managed to find them semi-summarized (with the specific serial number for all the robots) on a wiki or sorts. I would link it, but it's on my old computer at the moment that I can't get to.

Of course, Blizzard Man being a ski instructor isn't exactly the most important back story ever, so in some cases we aren't missing much.

mathaeis
Dec 16, 2007
severely pro

BlueArmyMan posted:

Wasn't Top Man made to entertain children or some such?

Something I found interesting somewhat relating to this. I remember an issue of Nintendo Power back when either MM5 or 6 came out, there was a contest to design robots. They had a 4 page spread of all the entrants, and announced the two winners. It wasn't until a year or two ago that I found information pointing out that ALL the robot masters from MM2 on were the result of similar contests in Japan - the two in NP were just the only two American children ever had anything to do with.

So I guess form denotes function, despite how silly that form might be.

mathaeis
Dec 16, 2007
severely pro
Another thing of note was the version of X3 released for PC had animated cutscenes as well. Also:

Smoke posted:

Zero being found is shown in an X4 cutscene in which he fights Sigma and kicks his rear end for some time, and he's found in an abandoned lab or factory, it's not really all that clear where exactly this is.

I seem to remember that being in the X3 scenes, not X4. Although it's been a while, so I could be wrong. I remember it also had some generic 'past exploit' shots, like X fighting those underwater snake robots and Launch Octopus (the coolest reploid ever).

And just putting this out there: I never once thought Mega Man X was 10. I could see it from the perspective of someone that really didn't follow the series (Gabe and Tycho both admitted they didn't really play anything except maybe a few NES games if I remember right), but I mean, X is his name. If you played the game at all, you know that right off the bat.

mathaeis
Dec 16, 2007
severely pro

Chumpy posted:

Not sure if it's canon or just something I read, but I've always remembered something about Sigma being some high ranking Reploid something or other, and Zero being found going berserk in a cave(?) somewhere. Like I said I'm fuzzy on the details, but it was something like Sigma went to the cave to fight Zero, and the little diamond thing on Zero's head got broken during the fight, and so the "Zero virus" got transmitted to Sigma, making him evil? Maybe the cave and crystal bits are just naughty fanfic being passed off as truth, but that's the story I remember.

Also, wasn't Zero shown being built in one of the secret endings to one of the Power Battle games?

Oh, and was it ever explained why Zero looked so funky in the Megaman Zero games? Or that stuff about that zero not being the real one, with there being some "Omega Zero" in places?

... Yeah, I'm pretty sure they just made it all up on the fly. I feel like we're talking about comic books. :psyduck:

You are right on about this, and from the post above, I see I was remembering the movies wrong. I guess ALL the stuff from the X3 PC version was that filler material.

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-XZXyB-NH0 here is what I was talking about. Looks like it's more 'remember X 1 and 2? yeah, us too!' than anything else. God, some of those animations are so dopey. It reeks of bad fanart almost, but I still loved them at the time.

edit 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOWrwxn6aNw&NR=1 oh god Blizzard Buffalo's intro. I can't stop laughing. I completely forgot about this.

But yeah, I guess the idea would be that Wily made Zero using the same techniology Light was using to make X, perhaps through some nefarious plot that involved him secretly stealing data or something. When Dr. Cain finds X, he is more advanced than anything currently around, and by a whole hell of a lot. The Reploids are created by copying X, and so when Zero is found later, the fact that they all share the same infrastructure could be exactly what makes Sigma susceptible to the virus in the first place. The fight disables Zero, who ends up being nothing more than a host instead of truly evil from that point forward, but also completely unaware of what he caused to happen.

Aside from a conceptual redesign between X and Zero (the series, not the characters), I guess the reason Zero looks different could be simply due to him having been fixed up or rebuilt after getting partially destroyed. I guess canon is supposed to end with X5, but from what I remember hearing, even that ended up getting a little mixed up, since Capcom basically forced them not only to accept that there would, in fact, be an X6 (and it was already well into being made), but changes had to be made in X5 to make sure certain things worked.

I remember how excited I was, because what Capcom was building up to was so great, and then...disappointment.

mathaeis fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Dec 17, 2009

mathaeis
Dec 16, 2007
severely pro
By the way - http://www.capcom-unity.com/

Live webcast with Inafune for the 22nd Mega man birthday celebration, just started.

e: These American people are very annoying, but hell yes on the live play!

mathaeis fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 17, 2009

mathaeis
Dec 16, 2007
severely pro

Swilo posted:

The ninja star is back.

Where did that first come from? The only game I remember seeing it in was Bionic Commando: Rearmed, and had no idea what it was.

mathaeis
Dec 16, 2007
severely pro

ohnoitschris posted:

They just explained the whole point of Sheep Man. They wanted another electricity-based boss, but of course can't just use ElecMan again. So, Electricity... Static electricity. What can make static electricity? Wool! What grows wool? Sheep!

Sheep man!

I should be mentioned that although this was said, it was said by the American side, which was doing less translating and more acting like Goddamn morons the entire time. Pretty much their entire translation consisted of making the same "Cake Man" joke about 35 times. It was almost unbearable to listen to. So take that reasoning as the real existence of Sheep Man with a large grain of salt.

raditts posted:

Sick? She's a loving robot!

They did translate the opening of the game, though, which stated Roboenza (a robot influenza) had made all the robots sick/go berserk. Personally I think this is interesting, since although computer viruses are common in our time, they seemed to be more of an "X" thing, whereas Mega Man was more about Wily straight up reprogrammed the old robots for the most part.

mathaeis
Dec 16, 2007
severely pro

greatn posted:

Air Conditioner Man

:what:

Now, I have to ask - is that better or worse than Top Man?

Also, what are your opinions on http://www.bobandgeorge.com/ This was the first sprite comic and the first web comic I started reading, and although not the most amazing thing ever by any means, I thought it was a lot of fun, and pretty awesome that it ran every single day for about 7 years. It runs through each of the games story lines/characters (although obviously they are embellished for the comic) in addition to having weird original stories tying the whole thing together.

mathaeis
Dec 16, 2007
severely pro
I actually found the phoenix boss to be one of the less terrible ones, but I definitely agree with you on the bomb disarming stage. Ugh. The games are overall very difficult though, for sure.

I'm in the middle of going through the series for the first time, and I've heard 2 and 3 are the best, and that 4 is good, but nothing special. Although, it does serve to finish off the series with an actual ending, so it's not bad that it exists at all.

mathaeis
Dec 16, 2007
severely pro

Vetinari posted:

Megaman would make a really awesome movie, if done in a style of a dark dystopian future like the Protomen rock opera outlines.

Last year I started coming up with the groundwork for something exactly like this. I had no idea what exactly I was going to do with everything in the long run short of "get better at 3D animation and do it myself" (ha ha ha), but drat - I came up with some awesome ideas with the help of my friends. A month into it I discovered that live action one and cursed the skies, but in the end I'm content that mine would stand apart just fine, if it existed. :(

This is really what made me (and others) angry at MMX - up through 4 they had this surprising good story going on, and from what it seemed in X5 Mega Man was going to fight Zero and it was going to be completely awesome. And then...it wasn't. The American voice acting certainly never helped any of that, either.

mathaeis
Dec 16, 2007
severely pro

Thank you for reminding me about Texas Faggott. My friend played that song for me years ago, and I lost the CD he burned for me with it on it.

BexGu posted:

It kind of shows it hard to "dark" and "serious" with the bright and colorful Megaman games. The Zero saga got kind of close, but I could never take the story that seriously.

I think part of that is due to the obvious limitations of the amount of text a typical DS (or typical Mega Man) game ends up having, as well as a pretty terrible translation, too.

And yeah, I wonder about that as well - is it possible to do Mega Man seriously without changing it wildly? I mean, I could get into it myself, but I know a lot of others that would be much less lenient on it simply due to the past 22 years of showing us a lighter side of things. And as BattleMaster said, all this dark and serious stuff (in the flash, at least) has become cliche to an extent.

For the sake of argument, what level of seriousness would you want/expect from a movie, if one was to be made? Would there be any way to portray it without completely ruining the movie/the IP that is Mega Man? Is there a safe middle ground (fun action movie versus serious dyspotian movie)?

mathaeis fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 23, 2009

mathaeis
Dec 16, 2007
severely pro

ImpAtom posted:

Mega Man is not inherently a very serious concept. Even the X and Zero games, which were in the GRIM DARK FUTURE, were pretty drat silly. (X moreso then Zero, which is just depressing a lot of time.) The more serious you make it, the harder it becomes to take seriously because the very concept is so silly. Beyond a certain point, it just stops resembling Mega Man. I mean, the MMX4 cutscenes were hilarious because of terrible acting, but they were still pretty ridiculous even outside of that context.

You really don't need to go Bomberman: Act Zero on Mega Man. It's a fairly cheerful and fun concept, and there is nothing wrong with that. There are plenty of games about angry robots blowing up other angry robots to be found.

Parts of that are certainly true. I guess I always looked at it from the perspective of what the story was without the presentation. A guy makes advances in robotics and technology, another guy turns them into his tools for evil and world domination. On it's own, this could be a pretty dark plot. Of course, the concept of bad guys doing things to take over the world (a generally serious notion) can sum up pretty much every major Saturday morning cartoon franchise from Transformers to G.I. Joe, so that's not saying too much.

Maybe my imagination got the best of me, making it out to be more than it was, or more than what ended up being delivered (for whatever of the reasons discussed before). I guess part of it was that there is a different, to me at least, between something being light-hearted and something done inherently badly. Mega Man, like many other things, could remain not being serious just fine, but when it seems like the people responsible for its release don't even TRY with some of the elements, it seems like something worthy of a restart more so than something that was done WELL to begin with. (Not saying the games are bad by any means, of course, just the story/acting/direction/etc., at times.)

I guess a comparison would be something like if the only thing that existed was TMNT the original movie, I would be like "drat, that's pretty cool." But if ONLY the third movie existed (and as an added bonus, those terrible videos of them singing Christmas songs), I would sooner be wishing for a 'real' TMNT movie. I hope that makes sense.

mathaeis fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 23, 2009

mathaeis
Dec 16, 2007
severely pro

ultrachrist posted:

I watched that and then began looking at some of the stuff under More Videos

This cracked me up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7dSJN5LgsE&feature=related

Oh God, I completely forgot about this episode. Thank you. Between this, that DOS video, and Horatio Caine Man, I'm and having a laugh-filled Christmas Eve!

(Although, I think we still need at least one bad photoshop of a Horatio joke with Proto Man)

edit: I always thought this was a pretty cool video: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/183276

mathaeis fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 24, 2009

mathaeis
Dec 16, 2007
severely pro
The art books I mentioned earlier in the threat are actually shipping from Amazon starting in a couple days. If you've seen the Mega Man Zero art collection, you already know how awesome these are probably going to be:

Mega Man
Mega Man X

mathaeis
Dec 16, 2007
severely pro
Tell me about it. I ordered both of these months ago and only last night got an email telling me they were finally coming, hence the last post. But drat, a year for MMZ? I guess I'm happy I discovered that one after it was already out!

mathaeis
Dec 16, 2007
severely pro

DrBouvenstein posted:

Yeah, ok, so...nope. I swear, I have every loving thing, every meter and subtank was full, I went from 9 lives to 2 (so 7 deaths) and no loving capsule showed up. I never took a single hit...

What do you want from me?!

Don't you have to use the teleport out at the end, not actually kill yourself?

mathaeis
Dec 16, 2007
severely pro

Smoke posted:

Megaman: Powered Up changes the timeline to start in 20XX rather than 200X. Also, according to Amazon both MM Complete Works and MMX Complete Works are on their way to me. I'll post the interesting bits when they get here.

I got mine 2 days ago and they are pretty freaking awesome. Some of the old art, of course, is terrible, but it's freaking great to have everything in such a complete bundle. I'm seeing a lot of stuff for the first time as well. Lots of new characters for Japanese-only releases and the like. Are there any requests for anything in particular? I'm not sure what would and wouldn't be allowed to be posted for whatever weird reason (copyright?).

mathaeis
Dec 16, 2007
severely pro

Smoke posted:

I have to know this before the books arrive: Are the Megamissions and the armors from that mentioned in them? The only real sources outside of the manga and cards for this I've seen are two older Japanese Rockman "encyclopedias" I have containing some artwork from them. Even Rockman: Perfect Memories doesn't mention those(But it does have some of the original kid-submitted art for the Classic titles)

I'm a worse fan than I thought, and don't know what Megamissions are? :(

But as far as illustrations go, there are pictures of all the characters, robot masters, stage enemies, ride armors, armor upgrades and then the countless promotional materials as well. Google suggests what you are referring to is from X? The X book has X1-X8, Xtreme 1 and 2, Maverick Hunter X, and Command Mission. If you can specify further maybe I can find more info, I'll keep looking in the mean time though.

e: Oh, random question for you all. In a lot of the artwork, the robot masters are striking a pose with one of their hands stretched out behind them with their fingers spread apart, but their middle and ring fingers touching - sort of making a "W." Despite the couple occasions where a non-bad character ends up in that pose (I just GIS'd for it and the first one I found was Dr. Light, go figure), did anyone think as a kid that it was some sort of Wily gang sign? I don't know, I always thought it was a neat idea.

e2: Holy crap, I always knew that Sigma's logo was the Greek letter Sigma, but I somehow never noticed it's a wolf head, which of course goes completely with his wolf pet and "Wolf Sigma" final form in X1. :aaaaa:

mathaeis fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 1, 2010

mathaeis
Dec 16, 2007
severely pro
e^^: the pic didn't load before - that's pretty neato. :)

Yeah, there's not any of that that I can tell, unfortunately. But as you said, that makes sense since it's not directly from the games.

mathaeis fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 2, 2010

mathaeis
Dec 16, 2007
severely pro

Vetinari posted:

I really like looking at official art and such, is there a good site out there with scans of the robot masters and such? I'd like to see this "w" pose as well.

Here are a couple for starters:

http://static.gamesradar.com/images...-screenshot.jpg
http://fi.somethingawful.com/is/img197/3036/normalmetalman7fo.jpg
http://fi.somethingawful.com/is/img197/7299/normalquickman8zv.jpg

mathaeis
Dec 16, 2007
severely pro

Ichiban Crush posted:

Agreed. 8 and 5 were also pretty easy (I beat both in three day rentals younger), 4 was hard as balls, and... well I never could get into 6.

I'm doing a Megaman art project, and was doing some research on the bosses and their apparent "personalities" that are vaguely explored... according to wiki, there's some reference to Iceman having bipolar disorder.

Can someone explain this to me without breaking my will to live?

Well, his original purpose was a robot capable of withstanding harsh cold environments for terrain-mapping purposes, and as such he is constantly torn between the north and the south po - I'm sorry, this is a bad joke. efb, drat you! ^^^

Honestly, I'm guessing it's just one of those weird personality quirks that Japan seems to throw in without thinking too hard. Sort of how some guy "really likes ramen" in a fighting game, or something equally as ridiculous.

mathaeis fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jan 3, 2010

mathaeis
Dec 16, 2007
severely pro
As I mentioned before, I have the PS2 collection and it runs fine on my PS3, except there seems to be some sort of input lag when it comes to making some of the tricky jumps. I couldn't get past the start of Toad Man's stage, for instance. I tried like 10 times, and there was absolutely no way I could have pressed the jump button any faster.

mathaeis
Dec 16, 2007
severely pro

Smoke posted:

Well, I just picked up my copy of Megaman X Complete Works. The Megamissions are in, actually, in the design sketches part of the book around X3 there's some art for the Limited armor. Nice to see that it's at least somewhat acknowledged.

Ah, sorry for almost dashing your hopes then. I did remember seeing that and not being entirely familiar with it, but it's been a while since I played any of the X games aside from 1 anyways. Guess it worked out!

mathaeis
Dec 16, 2007
severely pro
That second goalie can eff off. :(

mathaeis
Dec 16, 2007
severely pro

Adamotron posted:

I actually really like Cossack 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IrIU-wF6-M). Probably because when I was little that's the furthest I got before giving up.

Give the video a sec while it gets through the Cossack Map sting.

This was always one of my favorites from 4 as well.

Overall 3 is the one I love most, and although after mentioning them earlier in the thread I realize they aren't for everyone, but The Megas are doing a MM3 album next (well, after an acoustic version of their MM2 album). They played their new Spark man track on this internet show a couple weeks ago for the anniversary.

http://www.thestream.tv/watch.php?v=1856

They play Air Man in the middle somewhere, then there is an interview segment, and Spark Man starts around 49 minutes or so. The levels aren't set perfectly, so one of the guitars sounds a little weird, and admittedly the vocals don't sound as great as they do on the recordings, but I still think this song is bad rear end. They played it at Nerdapalooza here a few months back, and I was really hoping to track down some form of a recording, so this was a good find for me at least. :)

mathaeis
Dec 16, 2007
severely pro

raditts posted:

I believe you mean "Dr. Wright." But that was the least of the problems with Megaman 1's manual, what with listing commands that didn't actually exist and claiming you could play 2 players.

Capcom's instruction manuals have never ceased to be an endless source of anguish. Or the bullet points on the back of boxes. Most notable is on the back of the Mega Man X8 box, under New to the series: Complete stages and subquests in any order! That birthday podcast only confirms that everyone on the American side are complete morons.

mathaeis
Dec 16, 2007
severely pro
Hey guys, The Megas just released an acoustic version of their "Get Equipped" CD. I just listened to it, and I'm pretty drat impressed. I know some people didn't like the singer's voice, but as much as I didn't find anything bad about it, it's obvious he has improved. Either way, if you liked the original album in the slightest, this is definitely something worth checking out. The Bubble man track in on their MySpace if you want to give it a listen: http://www.myspace.com/themegas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mathaeis
Dec 16, 2007
severely pro
If anyone is interested, Nerdapalooza is happening again in Orlando, and The Megas and The Protomen are going to be there, along with 38 other acts. If anything, come check out The Megas for their first of two sets at the free pre-party (free food and drinks too), at A Comic Shop Friday July 16th. More info here for those looking:

http://nerdapalooza.org/?page_id=137