Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
It pisses me off that MM10 is just going to be another NES-style game. It seems that Capcom has found an easy-to-produce cash cow that they're going to milk dry.

I mean, alright, I loving get it, NES-style graphics have a nostalgic charm, make a new loving game already. When are we going to see a truly modern, epic return of Megaman? When MM9 was first announced I was hoping that's what it would be, but instead it ended up just being an NES throwback. I just sort of half-smiled when I find out about it, and I was hopeful that it was just a graphical thing and hopefully it would throw an interesting gameplay twist somewhere within, then I bought it and found out that it was basically just a Megaman 3 romhack with absolutely nothing new.

The "brand new NES game" gimmick was cute at first but now it's just getting loving lame and I'm worried that Capcom is going to keep doing this forever. I want to see a really new take on Megaman that does for the series what Super Mario Galaxy did for Mario, not just NES rehashes for Megaman 9 through 500.

And by the way, the charge shot rules, why the gently caress are they leaving it out AGAIN? :argh:

Cabbagepots fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Dec 12, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Megaman Powered up (THERE'S YOUR ATTEMPT AT A MODERN MEGAMAN), Megaman Marverick hunter X

Those games are nothing more than remakes of the first games in their respective series and can't really be counted as "modern attempts at Megaman". The only ones that can be counted as such are the ZX games, which were decently challenging but kind of unsatisfying. I kind of feel that it strayed in the wrong direction with the Metroidvania-style maps.

ImpAtom posted:

Mega Man is not an overly complex game formula, and the more you add to it, the more you risking messing it up or changing what people like.

I know people who love every Mega Man game and just can't enjoy X, and vice-versa. They don't want new gameplay gimmicks or complex new mechanics. They just want to blow up robot masters in fun levels.

I'm not going to hide it, I'll just say it. I want a 3D Megaman platformer game. I know people are going to say "play Megaman Legends" but that's not really the kind of game that I want, that was more of an action RPG than a platformer. They haven't really tried to make one, and there's no reason they can't attempt to give it the same trappings of the 2D games (instant-kill spikes and pitfalls and such). They should look to Ratchet & Clank for inspiration on how to do it, as that shows how a shooter/platformer can be done quite well in 3D. As you said, it's not a complex game formula; you're a robot who goes around blowing up other robots. It goes without saying that concept is tailor-made for video games, and there's so many ways they could be doing it that I can't even count them all. If they made a colorful, challenging 3D Megaman game with excellent controls, awesome tunes and delicious robot explosions, I think they'd be golden and sell a lot of copies regardless of what neckbearded purists have to say. Mario did it, Samus did it, Sonic did it (yes yes I know, Werehog and all that crap, but it wasn't always like that, the first two Adventure games were excellent). I want Megaman to do it, and I can't believe I'm the only one. Come on.

To me it's just a shame that they won't even consider trying this out of fear of getting bashed by retro purists, which is probably why they named the "new" Megaman games different things because they're frightened of the backlash they'd get if they tied it to the classic series. I miss the old Capcom that took the bull by the horns and told fans what they wanted instead of now where they just bend over and let their fans ream their rear end, letting them decide their every action. I feel that their products are inferior as a direct result of all these fanservice attempts.

And to me, Megaman is unplayable without the charge shot. My first Megaman ever was 4, followed by X. I want the blue boy to have the charge shot, not the red boy. Why do they keep making the red characters better than the blue characters :(

Cabbagepots fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 13, 2009

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

The Merkinman posted:

So straying from its roots to metroidvania is bad, but having RPG elements is okay?

Um, no. Read it again.

Also I forgot about X7 and X8 which were sort of what I was describing, but they just reek of a half-hearted effort on Capcom's part.

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Boxman posted:

I hear they're going to put Straw Man in this one. :v:

What? How is that a strawman? Do you even know what that term means?

quote:

So, 2 and 3 are "unplayable?" :what: Those're probably the two best in the original series.

We're venturing into "opinion" territory here. I understand most people think 2 and 3 are the best, I personally disagree, possibly because I didn't get into Megaman that early. They're by no means bad games, I just prefer the ones with the charge shot. I mainly played the X series and the Game Boy games.

Orgophlax posted:

Any word on 10 being released for 360/PS3 also yet, or Wii still the only one mentioned?

They did this with MM9 as well. They announced it for Wiiware first and then later revealed it for the other two systems. No such announcement has been made yet for this one, I think.

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

fivegears4reverse posted:

This dude is pretty much the best Mega Man X player I've seen. He essentially goes into the games and dissects them to the point where he's able to beat them without taking damage and following some pretty strict requirements.

I can almost do that with the SNES X games, I love Megaman X and have it memorized pretty well :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I'm wondering how much thought if any they put into the Megaman story.

I mean, they probably don't care that much, but probably as a result of the directors' apathy (people don't care about story in a game where you just blow up robots!), the entire Megaman pantheon seems to be encapsulated within a really dark pan-generational story. It tells the tale of how mankind is doomed to stagnate for thousands of years at the same level of technology, never reaching a Singularity, never expanding into space, and constantly being faced with death at the hands of the things they built. They never overcome aging or disease, they're powerless to do anything against calamities like the terrible Maverick uprisings or the Eurasia Colony impact incident, and even merging their biology with technology doesn't do much to save them.

I think it's all kind of eerie :ohdear: