Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
gently caress the charge shot.

I will forever miss the slide. :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Office Thug posted:

The trailer vid had the Xbox360 and PS3 in the credits, so I'm guessing this isn't a wii exclusive this time around :woop:.

You also have to collect all the items on the pathway to get into that locked room on the other side. I don't think it's possible without a gross amount of savestate usage.

Also Megaman X6 was pretty god drat harsh, I mean Jesus Christ just look at this poo poo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFdX52CqgZ4
It's on Extreme but those giant trash balls are still almost indestructible without the eagles on Normal, and you have to fight like 4 of them. You don't even get eagles with Zero and it's just brutal.

It also had a boss to put the yellow devil to shame: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dafDNR0asK0#t=5m16s

Abuse of save states makes me sick!

I got deep into that game (on my PSX!) before I got to the point in one of the sigma(I think?) stages where you can't progress past a jump if you happen to be wearing the shadow armor and gently caress if I was going to beat the boss I had just beat wearing anything else. So I guess it's the only MM game that has really defeated me.

edit: and I always killed Woodman first in 2 because a wooden robot pissed me off as a child.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I watched that and then began looking at some of the stuff under More Videos

This cracked me up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7dSJN5LgsE&feature=related

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Seems like smartly designed and labeled difficulty modes would solve for basically all of this.

Shadow of Mordor has the best death penalty imo. Next MM game ought to add the nemesis system. Basic chump bots that killed you now become robot masters!

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I just beat X6, which is a first because as a teen I quit in disgust when you get most of the way through Gate 2 and realize that you are 100% stuck if you're wearing the shadow armor.

6 is a goddamn mess and some levels are super lazy but I still enjoy it for some reason. Moreso than 5 or 3.

Now on to 7 and 8, which I have never played!

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Wow, MM11 does not gently caress around. That stage took me three tries and for significant portions of it, I was at 1 little nub of life. Seems like there is huge knockback/stun to getting hit. I probably wasn't using the speed gear as often as I should.

For mini boss v2, you can use the edges of the screen to avoid being hit. So shoot him, run to the opposite edge of the screen, maybe you get to shoot him again if he's the closest piece. Then dash out before the pieces land on top of you and repeat.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Played through MM11 and beat it in the past few days (on normal).

- It's funny how the game seems way harder than normal MM at first, but then I learned how to abuse the speed gear and also got the game-breaking ability to move at regular speed. Then the rest of the game was trivial. I barely used any robot master weapons and didn't touch the power gear because I didn't need anything else. Also the game gives you an endless supply of items. Weird.
- I like the art style OK but kind of wish they just continued the retro look.
- I had several items remain "?" and I don't know why.
- Usually I want to immediately play through again, without using items or weapons or on harder difficulties or w/e. I don't now... though I will eventually. Not a good showing for how much the game grabbed me.
- I had no idea Rush could fly at an angle until I just watched a speed run video a goon posted.

ultrachrist fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 9, 2018

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Anyone have any useful thoughts on 20XX? Saw it was on sale on the Switch eShop and figured it was worth a shot for $10.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Thanks for the thoughts and tips. I played it a bit and it does feel more platformy that actual megaman games, which isn't really a plus imo. I've started playing as megagal instead of Zeroguy and would figure bigger levels would hurt him.

That said, the movement of the game feels quite good and basically MMX.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I ended up beating 20XX. It's a fun little game that's worth playing to scratch an MMX itch. It's true that it is indeed shallow as a goon mentioned. The random level generation doesn't add much, perhaps because there's not enough variation. I'm also not a huge fan of rogue-lites that add permanent bonuses but can't balance them very well or make them interesting enough.

The actual character building is cool though. My winning run I was super fast with high HP and an extremely baller mega buster, but had the fire shield as my only power. Character building would be p cool in a real MMX game. I guess that's maybe what chips were supposed to be for in later MMX but the systems were far too arcane for me to bother with.

Difficulty is pretty weird in 20XX because other than the first Wily level which seems like it's from a different game almost, the levels are easy and all bosses are super easy. It's way more about attrition and keeping your health up through bad patches rather than falling in a pit or hitting a particularly difficult boss like a real MM game.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Am I an idiot? Never played the MMZ games so was happy to see the collection on Switch. Beat the first mission w/ the bird boss and could not find any way to start mission 2. Ran all over. Ciel wouldn't talk to me. Exhausted dialogue with everyone. Eventually gave up and quit and need to do the first mission again. Figure there is some extremely obvious answer to this.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Now that I am playing MMZ I realize I did play it way back, but gave up due to its awkward and inscrutable level, continue, elf, etc systems.

After a few levels of playing it now, I turned on save assist and it greatly reduced the tedium. I'll probably finish it now. I do wish it just had a "standard megaman" mode rather than these feast or famine infinite checkpoints.

Game just seems janky though. It takes me forever to upgrade a single elf and it's basically just a heart tank?? Am I missing something here? It's also just weird fighting the guardians where vs the mermaid I hop around and kill her a few shots but then the bodyslammer one requires me to learn all their moves because my shots don't do poo poo.

When do the games start being sensible and letting you repeat levels?

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

chumbler posted:

Zero 1 is kind of experimental. 2 has a much more conventional structure, and the elf grind is reduced but they're still your heart tanks and will tank your rating if you use them, locking you out of boss EX moves (not necessary, but fun).

I also didn't realize what the heck the elements did. So I just ran through the boss gauntlet and it was trivial. Could just stunlock some of the bosses that took me some tries earlier. Now I'm at the last boss and only upgraded 1 elf and didn't realize I was on last level so didn't take good ones with me. I think I'll watch the end on youtube and move on.

Glad to hear 2 has the conventional level structure.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I finished MMZ2, which was indeed far better than 1 (which I also went back and finished). Trying to get the ex skills was fun but then I barely used any of the drat things. I got most of them but then stopped towards the end. I wish you could replay the levels to try again.

I don't know if it was just me, but the frog was the hardest boss in the game. The last one was a joke by comparison. I wish I had screencapped his death line. It was like "What am I? Why am I alive" or something similarly hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I started playing dive because of this thread and while it’s heaped under gacha crap, the core gameplay is fun. The X style of movement is so good and I wonder why it’s not aped more in indie games the way Metroid, castlevania, Mario, etc are.

In the story I just beat Vile. World 6 maybe? I was playing as Mega Man Volnut because I liked his moves and then divined from the bloated UI I had a free S rank and started playing as Sigma. His animation where he murders X is funny. Then shortly afterward I dug even further into the bloated UI and ended up with Cinnamon, Black Zero, and X first armor. Does S rank actually make much of a difference? Sigma is fun but doesn’t seem that much better than Volnut. IIRC someone earlier in the thread mentioned a need for self healing but so far it’s a regular mega man game where you can avoid mostly anything coming at you. And the levels are very short.