Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

The Merkinman posted:

So straying from its roots to metroidvania is bad, but having RPG elements is okay?

I don't think Cabbagepots said anything about a 3D platformer Megaman taking R&C's RPG elements, just R&C's platforming and shooting elements.

Edit: Although, thinking about it, having R&C's RPG elements wouldn't be bad either. It could add some depth to be able to upgrade the weapons Megaman gets from robot masters.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 12, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Samurai Sanders posted:

Did Megaman always have brutal gameplay? My memory may have just failed me, but to me there was a MASSIVE leap in difficulty after Megaman 3. Only recently I played one of the PS1 Megaman X games, and it was loving nuts. There was a driving segment at the beginning of one of the stages that made Battletoads' look simple.

Are you talking about X5's Squid Adler stage for the Jetbike section? I wouldn't exactly put that in the same category as the turbo tunnel for difficulty. Then again, i've always found X games far easier than Classic games simply due to X having far better air maneuverability than Megaman.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Swilo posted:

No clue where .EXE fits but who cares they suck.

I always assumed the Battle Network games were a prequel to everything else.

Also, for anyone curious about playing the Battle Network games, just play BN6, if only cause you can turn into this:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Mecha Labrador posted:

Here's a dirty secret: I actually like X6. Even with the stupid difficulty and dead ends.

I also enjoyed X6, with the exception of some of the bullshit locations for armor capsules and the music.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

greatn posted:

I like to imagine that the original series has no real "end". Dr. Light dies of old age and creates X, that's a given, but Mega Man and Proto Man just go on being robots and not dying horribly. They're simply obsolete.

I like to think Wily made Zero, who proceded to kill everyone except Dr. Light, who went into hiding in some secret lab to build X so he would eventually stop Zero.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
You're pretty much right on the money Chumpy. Here's the fight itself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgLr19eYoH8

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

HenryEx posted:

Kuwagata is moonspeak for 'stag beetle'. Pretty simple.

Not that simple if you don't realize Kuwanger is supposed to be a play on word for kuwagata.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Schwarzwald posted:

I had this game as a child.

Has anyone on SA ever LPed it? If not, I might try.

I can't believe there exists a Megaman game that's even worse than X7. Is this game even beatable?

I seriously doubt anyone has LPed this, and I think you're mad for considering it.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Akumu posted:

Oh my god. Has anybody posted this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5pz6waED0w

Megaman 3, 4, 5, and 6 beat using the same controller input.

I think that got posted somewhere in the first few pages of the thread. I couldn't watch it cause the combined music/sound effects of four games hurt my ears.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Oh man, I really wish I'd found this thread sooner because THIS POST JUST BLEW MY FREAKING MIND. I've only seen a few episodes of the old Mega Man cartoon, all of them from videos that one of my friends had. I had no idea there was a MMX crossover episode.

Is this up on Youtube or something? I don't care if it's just a clip, I NEED to see this.

Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmrLB79cs2c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSDNEZUrlU4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CI57efghB0

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

D is That Guy posted:

I was at a thrift store yesterday and got the MM and MMX collections for gamecube plus a wavebird controller for 55$. :woop:

Yeah, have fun trying to play MMX properly on a GC controller. That had to be one of the most awkward things i've ever attempted to do.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I'm sure most of us have seen this already, but for those who don't pay attention to fan projects: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=EC039A1EADC9F1F3

I know i'm a sucker for punishment, cause 95% of the time fan projects never get done, but the MMX fan in me is BEGGING for this to get finalized. The most amazing part of this was when I realized that it isn't a rom hack, but a flash game.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
What the hell is that first one supposed to be? I've never seen that kind of design for X before.

...and I must salute whoever applied that Samus tattoo, cause that is loving brilliant.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Captain Invictus posted:

Seriously what is it with Capcom voices, they've got to know by now that they suck at picking voice actors and should let someone else do it.

Well if you take into consideration that Capcom has realized this and thus have made their game's dialogue cheesy on purpose in most cases, I would say they do a pretty good job of picking voice actors who can sound confident saying those lines.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

GobiasIndustries posted:

I purchased Megaman 9 about a year ago but never really played it..I just tried it out and man do I suck at Megaman games. The only one I was ever good at was Megaman X, and I could never beat the last boss.

Velguader Sigma isn't that hard, just rolling shield him to death.

Edit: To add to the conversation, I also bought MM9 when it came out, and the game pissed me off so much in places, especially against Wily and that stupid boss gimmick of making me bounce eggs back at him to damage him.

I'm not making the same mistake twice, so screw MM10, and give me another X game Capcom. Those games I kick rear end at.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 4, 2010

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

D is That Guy posted:

I fixed this for you.

I might consider that fixed if I actually gave a poo poo about the Legends games. I'm still annoyed that Volnutt made it in Tatsunoko vs Capcom over X.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Lasse Lillebakken posted:

Awesome voice acting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulbotKa5LnM#t=5m8s

"We'll find Doctor Wowly."

I'm gonna have that voice stuck in my head now anytime I play an X game and find a Dr. Light capsule.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Captain Invictus posted:

Never played 3 or 4, are they as good as 2?

From what i've played of them, all 4 games are pretty much on par with one another in terms of quality.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Captain Invictus posted:

It would be REALLY REALLY NICE if they supported that Megaman X Corruption dude, but sadly not all companies work like Valve does. Capcom could learn a thing or twenty from them.

Let's just be thankful that Capcom will never pull a Square enix and order a C&D on a fan project when it's about 90% done.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
What's Square's excuse for shutting down this one then: http://ds.kombo.com/article.php?artid=7141

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bigopinion posted:

Also it's implied that X and Zero are "in" ZX whereas Axl is more the focus of ZXA, so if you have a beef with the new guy definitely pick up ZX. But that's a really vague plot point to give the games a semblance of continuity between the X and ZX series so it's really not that important.

I recall Oyster saying a while back in one of his Megaman marathon streams that(despite appearances) Model A actually stand for Model Albert, not Axl, and that Capcom has declared X7 and X8 not canon in the X series.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Ok, now that the 8-bit drama is done, how about we start discussing something worthwhile again?

Baroque posted:

On the subject of Mega Man music, I remember hearing this a long time ago and finding it totally awesome, even though its from MM9! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cA06uWV_-c

That is freakin' awesome. HornetMan's stage just won me over as the best music in MM9.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Screaming Idiot posted:

Only if they don't use their lyrics, because they're godawful at writing them.

You are a terrible person. :colbert:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Screaming Idiot posted:

I hope so, gently caress those guys.

X is awesome, so you shut up! :colbert:

Not that I should care anyway. I don't even intend on getting this game.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

J-Spot posted:

Speaking of nostalgia, I give this game about two days before users have recreated all of the old 8 bit stages with the level editor.

Two days? Hell, I don't think it will even take one. You underestimate how fast some of these people can work.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

deadwing posted:

Apparently it's really amusing to watch me get angry at Mega Man. :v:

I think your roommate needs to watch the Megaman LPs done by Oyster. He'd probably be laughing non-stop at some of those videos.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

fivegears4reverse posted:

It'd have been nice. We can wish for nice things, can't we?

You can wish all you want, but one of these days you're gonna wake up and realize you never will get that billion dollars or pet dragon.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
X1-X5 all have excellent tracks across the board, X6 and X7 have a couple of decent tunes but mostly forgettable, and X8 is mostly positive for me anyway.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Dypsymphuliac posted:

Mega Man X6 even had a level you COULD NOT FINISH if you were in Shadow Armor. There was a gap that you had to air-dash to get across, no other way. Shadow Armor can't air-dash. So then you either just die until you get a game over or exit out of the level. Awesome!

I thought that level was doable with Shadow Armor, although it required a pixel-perfect dash jump. Am I wrong on that?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Barudak posted:

If he's talking about when you take the more obvious route in the Garbage Shark's level the jump to the armor is flat-out impossible without the air dash. There is also no way to leave. Hope you like killing yourself.

Guess where I made a bee-line to on my first play through.

I thought he was talking about the level where you fight Gate at the end. Maybe my X6 knowledge is a bit rusty(for good reason).

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Orcasword posted:

They sort of started to do that with Maverick Hunter X (a game that didn't need to be remade because X1 is the perfect MegaMan game anyway) but it suffered shoddy sales so they never made any more...

...for now.

Please let them try it again with the 3DS. It's a system that won't suck! They will sell! Hear my plea Capcom!

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Pureauthor posted:

Mega Man Zero and Mega Man Legends remain the only Mega Man series to have never had a bad game in their run.

Let's see how well that lasts.

I think that is arguable considering it took Capcom 10 years to announce a new game for MML. This is Cap"This is popular? Milk the gently caress out of it!"com after all.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Janderbuilt posted:

Joystiq had more info on the Legends 3 project, actively submitting boss ideas sounds a lot more interesting than voting on heroine designs.

They're also looking for a fan to help manage the developer site. Sounds like a job for Oyster, his Super Adventure Rockman LP would be the perfect resume, well unless Capcom objects to LP's on principle.

I like to think that Capcom would find Oyster over-qualified. I'm still convinced Oyster would beat Inafune in Megaman trivia.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Screaming Idiot posted:

Hey, after X4 and MM8, you should thank the Lord there isn't any voice acting.

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR :byodood:

There was nothing wrong with the voice acting in X8 or MHX, unless you have a hatred for standard anime voices.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Orcasword posted:

Here's hoping it gets cancelled! Or better yet, turned into what it should've been all along: MegaMan Powered Up 2.

I really hope when the 3DS comes out, Capcom will give the Maverick Hunter X series another try and remake all the games up to X6.

It's obvious they're not going to make any new X games, they could at least remake the ones they did make.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

ImpAtom posted:

Nah, it was just more Casshern then Astro Boy after a while. You can't even call the similarities a coincidence considering that they even homage Casshern's dog Friender in multiple ways, including literally including a robot enemy dog named Friender.

The main villian in Casshern, Black King Boss, was literally Sigma, and Casshern's helmet lights would even start blinking when he was low on energy, just like X.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

fivegears4reverse posted:

Yeah :sigh:

As sad as this may sound, I'd be interested in a more free roam style X-series game where you can do more exploration and see more character interaction, and can get emergency calls to deal with sudden maverick riots. When you get to an area to fight the maverick, the game switches to a 2.5D perspective along the lines of MMX8 (ideally with tighter controls).

It'd be a way to show the maverick hunters as an organization that does not solely consist of X, Zero, Axl, and a support staff of varying sizes between games. It'd also be a way to do more with mavericks in general. Not all of them are evil just 'cuz. If this fictional game had decent writing that didn't take itself TOO seriously, while still dealing with some deeper themes, I think it'd be really cool.

There is that fangame being made called Megaman X: Corrupted, where it's classic SNES Megaman X but with a Metroidvania-esque world and exploration. Of course, that a fangame and i've learned never to rely on those ever getting finished.

Also, jumping on the "Good Riddance MMU" bus.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Spiffo posted:

You gotta play MMX6 again. Goddamn was there even one thing right with that game?

The Shadow Armor was awesome. If nothing else, you HAVE to give X6 that.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Nizox posted:

so I picked up megaman 10 on XBLA on a whim. Holy crap is that game hard.

I have 3 questions.

1. do the controls feel just a LITTLE bit delayed to anyone else, or is it just me. I feel like i hit jump, but he doesnt jump, and then i almost throw my controller and I remember how games that are hard were so much fun. im using a regular wireless xbox controller

2. what's the best boss order for MM10?

3. is there any MMX or MM with the same suit upgrades and stuff coming out? I remember really liking finding new suit parts left everywhere by doctor light. but why couldn't he have just left them back at the lab?

1. Granted, I never bought 10, but I know 9 had a feature that simulated NES slowdown that could be turned on and off in the options. Maybe you should see if that option is in 10 as well and turn it off.

2. http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/982129-mega-man-10/faqs/59190

3. Capcom has abandoned the MMX series, so I wouldn't hold my breath on a new one coming out any time soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

C-Euro posted:

Really? That's a shame, I'd gladly pay :10bux: if a new X game was released for download in the SNES graphics style. It doesn't even need a plot or anything.

Let's put it this way. Megaman X won the Capcom Unity polls for the most requested character for Marvel vs Capcom 3, and chances are, he STILL won't make it in over the other Megamen.

I think we have a better chance of playing this MMX game over Capcom making a new one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUG5sTiwhYE&feature=related

The game is designed like a Metroidvania game, where you can explore a huge world and even power up weapons X and Zero get from bosses.

Here's X's opening stage theme, just to give a taste of how badass this game's soundtrack is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ47immxaQ8