Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Cabbagepots posted:

I just sort of half-smiled when I find out about it, and I was hopeful that it was just a graphical thing and hopefully it would throw an interesting gameplay twist somewhere within, then I bought it and found out that it was basically just a Megaman 3 romhack with absolutely nothing new.

And being a Mega Man 3 romhack of exceptional quality and polish it managed to be one of my best gaming purchases of all time, dollar for dollar (at least adjusting for inflation.) And I'm not even that much of a Mega Man fan. Of course, that might be part of why I don't give a poo poo if they don't really do anything with the series except more of the same.

One thing I don't get, though. I see people talking about Mega Man 9 being hard, but really it seemed to be easier than pretty much any of the original 8-bit games (maybe about the same as 4, I guess.) Sure, the first time through was a little rougher due to a sprinkling of Kaizo-esque romhack bullshit, but having learned where the sucker punches are coming from I found it to be a breeze compared to most of the old games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

The Merkinman posted:

Judging by the stages associated with each silhouette I'm guessing in order we've got Aqueduct Man, Beisooboraruu Man, Sheep Man, Gangsta Man, Torch Man, Sno-Cone Man, Commando Man, and Swordface Man.

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Dec 18, 2009

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

raditts posted:

If you're using the right weapon, every robot master in Megaman 1 goes down in 3 hits.

I think I'm going to play through the first 6 Megamans again this weekend, just to prove to myself that I'm not crazy when I say that they're not as retardedly difficult as Megaman 9.

Sorry, you're crazy. Of the first six I'd say only Mega Man 4 is as arguably easy as 9 is.

There are a couple of places MM9 will throw a sucker punch at you, but those will at worst cost you 1 life the first time you encounter them and then you'll never get killed by them again once you know they're there. Other than that, it's a cakewalk compared to the old school stuff.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

raditts posted:

I didn't remember these games being this retardedly easy.

Sounds like Mega Man 9. Seriously, by what token is Mega Man 9 anything but retardedly easy?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

raditts posted:

Death pits and spikes everywhere? Crazily enough, you can go through several levels in these earlier ones without seeing a single spike. Crazy! I haven't run into a single gently caress-you death trap in these ones so far like in MM9. I would say maybe you're right, maybe it's just because I haven't played MM9 enough, but like I said, it's been enough years since I played these that I have pretty much no memory of the level layouts.

Never mind that you were the one claiming these ones were the hard ones.

The mere fact that death pits and spikes exist does not constitute much of a threat. There are very few jumps that are even remotely difficult, and in almost all of the tougher ones you can simply wuss out and use Rush Coil or Concrete Shot as a safety platform. And for the cases you can't... well, that Shock Guard is there for a reason.

Also, there are several gently caress-you death traps, yeah. Personally, if I was given a game with a couple of death traps that will kill you one time (if that) before you learn to avoid it, and a game with platforming segments or bosses that will take you several tries to get down unless you are a ridiculously skilled player, I would call the former game easier.

Another thing that I find easier about MM9 is that I think generally it's much easier to do the stages out of order. Admittedly Magma Man is a real bitch both as a stage and as a boss if you're not well-equipped, but other than that order is not nearly as important as it was in most of the NES games. The arm cannon works fine for everyone else even without a lot of practice, and on top of that there are lots of useful weapons that are really effective even against bosses that aren't truly weak to them.

I did only mean to say that the old school games were harder than MM9, but glancing back at that post it looks like I did inadvertently suggest the proposition that they were "retardedly difficult." Mea culpa.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

raditts posted:

Exactly. The enemies have never been that tough, but the abundance of instakills makes it so you have to have pixel-perfect movements at times, and if you slip for a second and forget that an enemy is going to pop out of the next hole as soon as you jump or that somethings going to fly out of loving nowhere and run you into some spikes, you're hosed. It seems like the levels are a lot longer now as well, although I haven't replayed into the latter half of the originals so they might get longer there.

I guess it's a natural progression though, they have to find some way to make the next game more challenging than the last and I suppose the only way they can think of is more instakills.

Hey, here's a concept. Spikes? Don't touch 'em. Makes the game a lot easier if you don't. Also, jumping in the pits is not a very good idea, don't do that either. Walking into the enemies isn't good either, but there it's OK if you slip up and decide to walk into them sometimes, I'm not very good at the game so I keep forgetting not to touch them but it lets you do it a bunch of times before it actually kills you so it's all OK.

I suck balls at platformers but there are very few places in MM9 that demand any kind of skill at all, and you've got like four different tools to assist in difficult jumps plus items to save you if you gently caress up anyhow. And once you clear Jewel Man, who has like one moderately tricky jump in his stage, you basically spend the rest of every other stage invincible to nearly all the enemies. Assuming you didn't just use the homing weapon or the controllable AoE weapon or the kill-everything-on-screen weapon to deal with them before they even got close to you.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

DrBouvenstein posted:

Maybe not skill, but there are several 'insta-death' areas in the game that come out of nowhere unless you read a FAQ/walkthrough or are one of weirdos who plays a platformer by walking one freakin pixel at a time.

Right, that's what I said in the first place. MM9 will kill you maybe 5 or 6 times tops with this crap on your first time through, but once you know where the sucker traps are you should never die to them ever again, and then there are not a lot of real challenges of skill in the game. Whereas with earlier titles, you won't have to worry about blocks appearing midair to kill you Kaizo-style (although midair enemies were common back then too) but there are tougher bosses and tougher jumping sections that may cost you a couple of lives each, on every playthrough, until you get good at it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I wonder if Nitro Man's weapon is going to be a movement-based power like Top Man or Charge Man, or if it will just be something retarded like a gun that shoots tires. Mega Man 9 had a lot of very powerful, versatile, useful utility weapons, so it will be interesting to see what 10 delivers.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

raditts posted:

Aside from Black Hole Bombs I can't think of any MM9 weapons that hadn't appeared in previous games as a different -Man's weapon.

Most MM games (especially earlier on) reuse a lot of the same basic weapon functions, but in MM9 a lot of them are improved or combined. Instead of having one big chargeable weapon and one weapon that shoots at odd angles, Magma Man's weapon does both. Hornet Man's weapon is a homing weapon, plus it collects items like some of the boomerang weapons do.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Orgophlax posted:

Why the gently caress is Strike Man a baseball, when his level is a soccer stadium and a striker is a position in soccer?

A better question would be why a baseball-shaped boss, produced by a country notable for its fascination with baseball, with a level decorated with baseballs and populated by baseball-themed enemies, who is named after a prominent baseball term, has a couple of soccer-based inclusions on his level.

The answer is "Who the gently caress cares?" Incidentally I think this is pretty much the proper response to any question about a Mega Man game.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
It was vaguely entertaining, but even though it was a pretty good lovely cartoon you can't deny that it was a lovely cartoon. The animation budget seemed to consist of whatever loose change the producers could dig out from under their couch cushions.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Wompa164 posted:

I like how it's exactly the same as the Jewel Shield from 9, except it has 8 orbitals instead of 4.

Most iterations of the shield weapon are just about the same, plus or minus a few features. The article describes the water shield as "spiraling outward", though, which implies it behaves differently when thrown.

The weapons sound pretty unimpressive, although they're don't look too terrible. It will be interesting to see how they work in-game, some of the descriptions are fairly vague.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Drox posted:

On the same note, though, the freeze weapon sounds the same as Concrete Shot. :(

True. But on the plus side, the freeze weapon sounds the same as Concrete Shot. :dance:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
gettin mad about Mega Man songs :goonsay:

Honestly 75% of Mega Man's music is completely forgettable, so it's kinda neat that they're trying something more distinctive.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Boxman posted:

There is no :smug: big enough for this sentence.

Have we seen that much of the game? I haven't been following videos that closely, but really, I'm curious how you decided this game isn't a "labor of love" because you didn't like one of the songs.

I typed this post, read it over again, and I still can't believe how much you sound like :smugbert: with that last sentence.

Well, he's right.

It is sad.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

fixelbrumpf posted:

I too thought the music in the footage we've seen so far seemed sort of badly-written, but then I noticed that most songs seem to alternate between parts that are "designed" to be catchy and parts with more out-there chord progressions and melodies.

:raise:

For the most part I thought they were rather sophisticated pieces compared to average NES music (and even above-average NES music, as is customary in Mega Man games), and executed pretty well although I am kind of iffy on a couple tiny bits. Whether such complex tunes are really ideal for vidyagame BGM is questionable, but I thought they were pretty cool. But then again I am a TERRIBLE MEGA MAN FAN.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I find it amusing that there are so many Mega Man fans who are apparently tone deaf. Except of course that anyone who doesn't realize that MM10's soundtrack is RAPING THE MEGA MAN FRANCHISE is not a terribly proper Mega Man fan at all.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Namek-jin Arse posted:

I'm not being smug at all I'm disappointed in this game's soundtrack and annoyed that no one else agrees with me. I feel like I'm in the twilight zone or something.

It's almost as though people individually form opinions that don't necessary agree with one another :v:

I mean, if you don't like it then you don't like it--nothing wrong with that. Yet you keep trying to claim there is something objectively wrong with the music, even though the only supporting argument you can make is "THIS MUSIC IS poo poo AND IF YOU LIKE IT THEN YOU LIKE poo poo." Inasmuch as you've put forth any kind of justification at all it seems to be that it doesn't sound exactly like every other 8-bit Mega Man title, which I think is a reasonable assertion, but whether that's good or bad is entirely subjective (personally I like what I've heard a lot for exactly that reason. But, y'know, TERRIBLE MEGA MAN FAN here.)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure we're all falling hard for a fairly obvious troll, but some of these posts are amusing anyhow.

Namek-jin Arse posted:

in fact some of the music has blatant mistakes

"I don't like the way they're doing it" does not qualify as a mistake. Otherwise, feel free any time to start writing up notation for these songs so you can point out exactly where these mistakes that only you can hear are. (Obviously someone with so finely trained an ear as yours should have no trouble putting notes to the page.)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Namek-jin Arse posted:

Just because I don't like Mega Man 10's music? I think you're taking Mega Man a little too seriously bro.

I think as the guy who spent 20 posts decrying how MM10 was ruining the series based on several minutes of gameplay footage and how everyone else was a terrible Mega Man fan for not agreeing you're not in any position to chastise people for taking Mega Man too seriously bro.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

The Merkinman posted:

Yes, they just happened to use the same name, color and design as a coincidence
Blade Man MM10
Blade Man Nintendo Power Submission

A guy with a knife taped to his face is not the same thing as a robot with a sword for a head.

There are 7 billion people on the planet. Occasionally two of them have similar ideas. I used to have notepads with robot master doodles that ended up being remarkably similar to bosses that showed up in later games, but that doesn't mean Capcom used black ops corporate espionage to steal my unpublished ideas. Or does it? :tinfoil:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Die Laughing posted:

It's funny that people don't want to believe that Nintendo could possibly have kept some of the more popular designs in a folder somewhere to be dug out at a later date.

The possibility exists, yeah, but c'mon--it's not like robot masters are hard to make up. Look: we'd already seen Drill Man = guy with drills for arms and a drill for a head*. What's so hard to believe about someone independently coming up with Blade Man = guy with swords for his arms and head?

I mean, what the hell. The "trouble of coming up with their own designs?" So, what, they're saving themselves 5 minutes with a pencil and a napkin?

*I totally had doodles of a "Drill Man" concept that had exactly this design long before I had seen any info on MM4. Mine was even red. RED. :tinfoil:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Gammatron 64 posted:

My only complaint regarding 9 and 10 to be a regressive step backwards is the removal of the slide and charge shot. Okay, I can totally understand why taking out the charge shot was a totally valid choice and made 9 better and ultimately more fun as you had to find creative ways to use your special weapons, but the slide's essential to me. Sorry MM2 fanboys, 3 is by far the best.

I thought I'd feel the same way, but I've really never missed the slide in MM9 because it's designed very well around the mechanics that are in place (no slide.) It's not a regressive step from MM3+ (which were built around the slide), it's a parallel evolutionary step from MM2. I admit that I miss whizzing around everywhere with the slide but it's kind of superfluous to most of MM9's gameplay; there's a very heavy emphasis on platforming and very few enemies that call for the dodging abilities of the slide.

vvvvv
I probably should've been more clear that I was talking about 9 specifically, but that's kind of what I'm getting at: MM10 included Proto Man from the start and I think the level and enemy design is slanted towards Proto Man's capabilities, which makes Mega Man feel pretty gimped in that game whereas MM9 was actually built for a slide-less Mega Man.

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 2, 2011

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Screaming Idiot posted:

Well, it could be worse, I suppose. I could have wasted good money on a game that's purposely obsolete!

Yah, and then you wouldn't have money to buy MM9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

MMX is a pretty perfect game. I honestly can't think of a single thing wrong with it.

The fact that you have to do Chill Penguin's stage to get a fundamental, game-defining powerup is a minor blemish, I think. If you started with some form of the dash then it would be perfect.