Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I thought Command Mission had some pretty good music, though it seems the first rule of Command Mission is that one does not talk about Command Mission.

Also agreeing that X and X4 were the best X games and also had the best music. I didn't think X6's music was all that great apart from a couple tracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah I always liked Duo's theme, too. Now that I think about it, I can't say that any Mega Man game really had forgettable music (other than Legends, but that is only because I have not really played any of them.) Maybe MM7 did, I can't really recall anything from it. X7's music is actually pretty good, I think.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Eh, MM8's music isn't my cup of tea. 1, 2, 3, and 9 probably have the best music of the originals. For the X series, X1 and X2 seem to have the best music.

I don't think anyone will ever deny the greatness of 2's Wily stage 1.

I'll also throw this in just for good measure.

Screaming Idiot posted:

The character themes in Command Mission were pretty awesome too, except for Axl. Axl's theme is nothing short of ear-splitting.

Let's be honest, Axl sucks, so it's not all that surprising that his theme blew.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 5, 2010

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Apart from the last one and Inafune's, the rest of them look like they would fit reasonably well into the Legends style, imagining them with blocky ps1 graphics (I honestly can't even visualize how Legends would look on a modern console.) My vote would either go to Met hat girl or the goofy gogo girl with the giant pink sunglasses, despite her asymmetry and being anime as gently caress. GOGGLES FOR EVERYONE.

That being said, Legends is already pretty damned anime to begin with. Metal crotch plates and all.

Edit: Wait oh god, why are they all elementary schoolers? :froggonk:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Ka0 posted:

Someone who is more literate in matters of anime, please explain to me why is it mandatory for young characters to wear accessory goggles.

Because when the goggles go over the eyes, you know some action is about to happen.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

If they were to do another X game, I wouldn't mind seeing Massimo and Marino from Command Mission as playable characters. Granted more playable characters is not really the direction most people probably want the series to go, but they could replace Axl (who sucks) and Zero (who should be dead anyway,) and each is significantly different from X/Zero that they could be made interesting to play. (Who am I kidding, no one would play Massimo because he wouldn't have an air dash.) Don't really know what boss weapon gimmick they could have, though.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The second game is the best in every MM series except X, where it's X1 (with X4 right on its heels).

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ZX gave the world model H and I will always look on it fondly for that. It's a well done game that feels great to play and is certainly in the upper end of MM games, but recalling it doesn't really give me the same warm and fuzzy feelings of MM 2, X, X4, or BN 2. Can't recall much of its music either, just the intro stage. I kind of wish the character choice had mattered a bit more, too.

I'm also not sure how anyone could think Order of Ecclesia was anything but great.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

X4 should probably be mentioned in a discussion about reploids going maverick, considering the whole theme is that repliforce secedes, albeit due to Sigma working behind the scenes, without being infected by the Sigma virus. Outside of Sigma himself, there are only 4 actual mavericks going by health bars (which was the only even slightly subtle thing they did), and even they weren't actually infected by the virus if I remember right, just working directly for Sigma. The whole thing was supposed to cast the maverick hunters in a really shady moral light, but that was of course shot straight to hell by the repliforce actually being morons and turning into terrorists and the maverick hunters being the good guys in the end. But the only time I recall the virus actually popping up is in the Sigma vs. Zero flashback cutscene. I don't think it's really a relevant plot point anywhere else in the game.

On an unrelated note, as wrong as it feels to say something positive about X7, I actually kind of like its music. It feels more like a step back to X1's style of music (particularly the boss theme) than any of the later X games, and at the same time also kind of feels like a bridge to the Zero series' style of music. It has the best Sigma battle theme (at least the first 30 seconds) in the series, too.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jul 10, 2013

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Maybe I'm just weird, but I wouldn't mind if they ever did a command mission 2 jrpg or just reused the command mission characters in a more standard side scrolling, platformer X game. They already established character swapping in X8, so they could just do that again. Not really sure how they'd manage to make Massimo fun to play in a series that has heavy emphasis on speed, though. Maybe if he had a super fast dash that just let him bowl through things?

Sadly the chances of that are so low that if you considered the chance of any new X game to be 0, this would be such that Capcom would somehow go into a parallel universe and remove that universe's command mission 2 from existence.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Those characters are all garbage.

Axl and Cinnamon are indeed garbage. But how dare you impugn the walking tank with a giant axe, homicidal opera singer, platypus doctor, robot ninja for some reason, and the goddamned Hippopressor?

And X's stylish scarf.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I always felt that the Zero series should've just ended at 3. It ended on one of the best, if not the best, boss fights in the whole franchise, and it wrapped up basically every dangling plot thread the Zero series had at that point except Weil, who could've just been written to die in the explosion somehow like they did with the guardians. It's not that Zero 4 was really bad at all, but it was just kind of unnecessary. None of the boss fights except the ones against the mercenary guy were that memorable, its game-specific weapon was lame, the music was a step down in my opinion, and it had a pretty lovely ending. I'm curious whether 4 was always more or less planned from the beginning or if it was more of an X6 deal. Anyone know?

I'm not counting ZX or ZXA as part of the Zero series here, note.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

:smug:

But seriously, any game with Kuwagust Anchortus and his god-awful level cannot be the best game, as much as I love Zero 2.

Edit: and Phoenix Magnion. Phoenix Magnion can eat poo poo.

Sorry Zero 2 is the best, and outside of the defense portion the jet level was awesome. Phoenix Magnion is an rear end in a top hat though, I'll agree there.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Though it will never happen, a game or series that takes place in the elf wars would be pretty great. You'd have super powered king poo poo X until like half way through when he has to sacrifice himself to seal away the mother elf. Then it switches you to Copy X who gets more and more brutal in his missions until some final boss that is probably made up on the spot, like maybe some pre-Zero resistance hero or something. Or perhaps the first Omega event, if that was Copy X's time period. Of course they'd never actually do that because it would be dark as poo poo for a Mega Man game.

Narrative and power pacing would probably be a bit difficult in that scheme, though. Also I might be remembering the timeline incorrectly, but it's not like that has really stopped Capcom before.

vvvv He suppressed various maverick and "maverick" rebellions, as I recall. I don't think he was created to be purely political. But then I haven't played the Zero series in quite a long time.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Sep 8, 2013

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

I get the feeling people are just burnt out on fire based robot masters.

:v:

But really as long as the fire guy continues the trend of fire bosses in Mega Man games having awesome stage music, I'm fine with him.

I know that a lot of people are pining for a classic series style game out of this, but I hope they include elements from later games. I don't mean aesthetics, but just things like having a dash, wall clinging, and a charge shot (and yes I know about the controversy on that end). The classic series gameplay has its place, but it's hard to go back to it after the X and Zero series.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

AHungryRobot posted:

I also really disliked how they changed the buster from a badass energy cannon that's built into a dude's arm into...a pistol.

Laaaaaaaaame.

I liked the buster being a pistol because it drove home the point that you're Zero and you're not about any of that pansy buster poo poo. Built in guns? gently caress that, go saber or go home. Get in there and slash poo poo up! Just pick up somebody's gun if you need to shoot a switch across the room. I will say that I am not really a fan of the charged saber slash because it's kind of antithetical to what the saber is about.

In general I liked the Zero/ZX series' general art style, especially Zero 1's more sketch-like portraits, and agree that the sleeker look fits better with the speed of the series, and the generic enemies (I think they were called pantheons?) had a neat design. I can see how it might be too fabulous for some people though.

vvvv My point is that nobody should be playing as Zero so that they can shoot things. The Zero series buster being a separate pistol he just picked up reinforces that. It's a design intended to communicate what the character is about, like Fefnir's giant arm guns or model X's double charge buster.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Sep 14, 2013

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

yeup, my thoughts exactly. :haw: But I'm totally cool with this. :colbert: MMX is best MM.

I was just thinking the other day about how X1-3 all had great concepts and great music for their intro stages. I'd cite them as probably the best examples of how to grab a player in the first few minutes, and other games should learn from them. The later X games' intro stages were all steps down from the first 3, but they also had new mechanics to explain and came out when "Get in there, kid! Read the instruction manual if you don't know what you're doing!" no longer flew.

Mordaedil posted:

Throwing Shantae a lifeline is pretty drat nice of them.

I feel really bad for Shantae's kickstarter being so overshadowed by Mighty No. 9. I don't know much about kickstarter's bureaucracy, but I can't imagine WayForward voluntarily chose to start theirs up so soon after Mighty's. It looks like they might squeak by the minimum, but I think they'll be lucky to hit the first stretch goal. But then eleventh hour miracles do happen on kickstarter with some frequency.

I guess it shows that Mega Man fan base nostalgia is more powerful than even the lure of a cartoon belly dancer (from a franchise nobody has ever heard of).

chumbler fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 17, 2013

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Can't really agree there. That track doesn't really do anything for me. Really though, X6 had an odd soundtrack. A lot of laid back, slower tracks like Yamark, the intro stage, Sigma 1, Shield Sheldon, and Rainy Turtloid, and then chaotic or fast things like Gate's lab, Blaze Heatnix, Sigma 2, and Gate himself. It runs the gamut from easy listening to basically shredding metal.

Now if you want a terrible MM game with a great soundtrack, look at X7.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I just noticed that Beck looks like he's wearing a banana hammock and now I can't unsee it.

The Zero series styled Beck is pretty neat.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Sep 18, 2013

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I have come to realize after reading the past few pages of "This is what a new Mega Man game should be" that I understand why Capcom doesn't do it. The dwindling base of existing fans is incredibly divided on what they want, to the extent that people basically seem to be asking for a non-reboot reboot with a new art style that's the same as the old art style but not really, and it should make them ten years old again and also inject cocaine directly into their hearts. It should also have 40 levels but only like 13 bosses, and it should be quick to play.

The fundamental problem is that a Mega Man game only has about 1-2 hours of actual gameplay once you remove player gently caress ups. Short length is just not something people want nowadays, especially not if it's priced at $40-60, and an even 10 hour game is probably not what people looking to play a Mega Man game are after. I don't know if the CoD numbers quote is actually legitimate or not, but I can see the returns on investment just not being there for a new MM game if you throw any kind of budget at it and don't put it at a $20 or less price point. I think Capcom got burned on a lot of their HD rereleases of games that have extremely small fan bases too, if I remember right.

Basically it is completely impossible to please fans at this point, and those fans are vocal enough that they'll turn away any new players Capcom might try to appeal to. I mean keep in mind they're dealing with people with the mindset of "If they don't make their new game something I like, the franchise is better off dead."

Kickstarter works here because they have people who are working out of love of the IP and likely on a relative shoestring budget, and they get donations from people like me who have more money than sense. Large businesses don't have those luxuries. I don't know what profit they expect from this, but I expect it probably is not much.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I would probably get annoyed at each robot master/maverick having a mini fortress. Frankly the double fortress of 3-6 got on my nerves, and even Zero 3 and 4 were pushing it on length a bit. I think 2, X, Zero 2, and similar had good lengths. 8 stages, with a middle stage or two or a couple boss fights like Dynamo to break it up, then a 4-5 stage fortress is a fine length for a Mega Man game. I can't say I'd want a 20+ hour epic instead of a straightforward couple hours length. A Mega Man game should be mostly beatable in one night unless you gently caress up a lot, in my opinion. You don't want it to overstay its welcome. If the emphasis is on replaying a game, it needs to be short.

But I am also just getting old and like shorter games nowadays.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Sep 20, 2013

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I went with G, since she looks the most robot-y with her blank expression and multiple arms. A and F would be the runners up, each with one or two things holding them back. A very much looks like a playable character, and her hair cannons are neat, but she has the dumb glasses and face that shows expressions. F (which I am pretty sure will be the winner) suits the game's artistic feel pretty well and also feels worthy of being a main character, looks the most like a NotRoll, and the couple shots with the more expressionless face I think work well, but she feels like she was intended to suit various fetishes and that creeps me out more than a little bit. The rest are either boring, creepy (not in the good No. 3 way), or in the case of C look like some stage enemy you're supposed to blow up.

But seriously I want to play as the emotionless killing machine robot with 6 arms.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Does Nintendo directly own the Kirby franchise or just publish it? Because that could be a point in favor of Nintendo doing something good with an IP they could hypothetically buy if Capcom were to hypothetically sell it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Shindragon posted:

Just give it to Platinum.

Let's be honest here, this can be said about every game series.

I want Platinum to make a Kirby game now since that series is still on my mind, and Kirbyonetta would be great.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Mr. Maltose posted:

Honestly, I think Kirby and Platinum wouldn't work all that well, because the two have opposite design philosophies.

You're probably right, but the thought of Meta Knight's Revengeance makes me laugh. But really Platinum games have a pretty low skill level for just finishing them. Not Kirby or Mega Man X low, but they're also not a blatant gently caress you in difficulty. I imagine they'd be competent enough to make a game with a soft but deep difficulty curve if they wanted to. They'd probably have the right sense of humor for a Kirby game, too. But this isn't a thread about Kirby games, so I'll stop derailing.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

BloodDesk UnderHell posted:

Out of curiosity, how would you change the Mega Man 2 crash bomb Wily boss. (The Boobeam Trap, according to wiki) Either by changing the original or by designing a second Powered-Up game.

Would you,
1) Put minor enemies in the room that would drop weapon energy.
2) Just drop weapon energy whenever you ran out, like in those Mega Man 10 challenge rooms.
3) Weapon tanks, with the option to buy them between stages.
4) Allow you to damage the traps with other weapons, but keep crash bombs as a one-kill weakness.
5) Just allow you to carry more than 7 crash bombs.

On a side note, would you make the traps' weapon slower, so you can dodge it a little better. It does feel a bit cramped in that room.

1 would probably be the best option. Just throw something that spawns a met in an inconvenient but accessible place that is likely to drop weapon energy. The idea of a puzzle boss is fine, but it certainly needs some margin of error that would be afforded by giving the player a means to restore weapon energy. A well placed met would be enough to make sure the player isn't up a creek while still maintaining or possibly even enhancing the challenge. The others in my opinion would be a fundamental shift in the game, remove the puzzle aspects of the boss, or not address the problem that you could get arrive at the boss with no crash bomb energy.

Keeping the boobeam trap dangerous enough that attrition is a real concern would still keep enough emphasis on solving the boss quickly and efficiently even with removing the strict ammo conservation challenge.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Don't even watch an LP of X7. Just listen to its actually pretty baller soundtrack on youtube.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

6 and 7 are the only really bad ones, but 6 is still worth playing because of how absolutely insane it is. Also it has probably the coolest armors in the series.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Butt Ghost posted:

You could use her character traits to more so inspire her role in the game. For example, Shiek is ninja-like and obviously capable. When she gets kidnapped from Ganon, she probably could have escaped, especially considering that she should be familiar with the layout of the castle. When Link enters that castle to defeat Ganon and save Zelda, Zelda could then pop up in places as Shiek to give an item or advice.

To be fair, if you're referring to OoT she kind of got sucker punched out of nowhere and was then frozen in a crystal, so I'll give that a slight pass. Granted there's the problem where that always happens and is just using the female character as a tool for dramatic tension.

Not to continue this derailment much further, but does anyone have the images from that Zelda concept that some fan submitted to them or something where Zelda essentially takes the place of Link? I think the setting was post-steampocalypse-ish, but I recall the art being pretty good and some of the concepts he pitched sounding really neat.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

I don't really see it making her more like Link, personally. She already showed some of these prowesses when she was a pirate and a ninja and seems to focus more on her magical powers than sword wielding capabilities, which matches up with her portrayal in Smash Brothers. Also no harm in giving her pants for once, but a lot of people seem to have issue with this design, even if he tried very hard to not angle it as just gender replacement.

Yeah, avoiding simple gender replacement is hard in that case because Link has a very basic design in both build and clothing. If you take Zelda out of her various gowns and put her in clothes and a hair style that would make sense for an adventuring sort, the result is pretty much by necessity going to end up being pretty darn similar to Link. They'd be even more similar if Zelda would take the silent protagonist role in it, which I think she'd have to in order to really drive home the parallel. I know people have justifiable issues with things that pretty much just boil down to gender swaps, but they're not inherently a bad thing and in many cases like this one there's just not a lot of wiggle room unless you change the game from the ground up, which is intentionally being avoided in that concept because doing so would lose a lot of the effect. There would still be plenty of ways to bring out character differences even while keeping things like basic appearance and using a sword and the other tools similar. Basically swapping Zelda and Link but Zelda just ending up a whole lot like Link is I think a bit fundamentally different in this case than for example the Aile/Vent swap. I hope they end up making Beck and Call noticeably different rather than treating it as a straight swap, though that may be a bit wishful thinking given dev team size.

Also Aile was better because you could farm extra lives faster in that one spot in Area C if you are a scrub like me and really needed the help.

Edit: Oh, and have the results come out for the Call design poll? I feel like I missed it somewhere.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Dec 12, 2013

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah I wasn't a huge fan of E initially (there was a much more robotic one in the first round that I liked more), but of the 3 options I like it best. H is just kind of boring and doesn't have the same degree of little details Beck does, and F isn't robotic enough. Though after playing Ace Attorney 5 I kind of wish they wouldn't bother with any of them and just make Not-Ponco.

F is probably going to win anyway, which I guess won't be that bad, but that one just doesn't seem like the best fit for what Call is apparently supposed to be like. I think F actually looks better without the enormous ponytail, like is shown in the back shot.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Dec 20, 2013

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

To be honest Beck's just different enough from megaman that I"m fine with it (Beck has actual Detailing which is a nice change up for designs of A/the Blue Bomber.) but honestly if the Mentor is Totes-Not-Dr.Light and the Villain is Totes-Not-Dr.Wily in design I'll be just as disappointed because that's loving stupid and boring as poo poo.

Unfortunately your opinion is probably by far the minority on that. This is a thing that is largely funded by gamers, a group not particularly well known for wanting or liking any entry in an established series that is not exactly what they already have.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

"The Mega Man Megathread: Mega Man X makes our dicks mega hard."

But seriously, the game is so drat good. I'm not a huge fan of that guy's schtick, but some of the things he mentioned I hadn't even thought about. X1-3 totally hit out of the park for their intro stages. X1 is covered in that video, but I could gush about all of them. And I will (spoilered for the new players).

X1 starts off with X teleporting in as the last line of defense against an invasion (and the overpass above you just looks cool). The mavericks are halfway into the city already. The music has a deliberate Mega Man pace but is a little faster and has electric guitars. A few stragglers are evacuating, barely outrunning the mavericks, while you run out to meet the invasion, passing the ones that didn't make it. The first enemy you see is a nasty looking spiked wheel, not some cute little guy in a hard hat. You take it down because you're still Mega Man and it takes more than that to be a real threat. Then you hit the first big enemy, and it's not some giant house cat that throws balls of yarn at you. It's an artillery piece with 2(!!!) different attacks. No kid got past that guy the first time without taking a missile hit. It's not even a mini boss. It's just a guy, and you know you'll be seeing more of them. As you get further along the spiked crusher guys show up, only they don't just drop through the floor once and that's it. They hang onto their crushers and oh poo poo they're destroying the road. No Mega Man enemy ever did that! But at this point you're starting to feel in control of things and getting back in that unstoppable groove, and these guys are just being sent to try to slow you down.

Then BOOM a giant machine gun firing, missile launching, ball guy dropping helicopter slams down from above and you get that feeling that you're such a threat now they're sending out the biggest guns they have. You kill it and escape the pit and you feel unstoppable. You took down the biggest thing they had like it was nothing and easily escaped its last ditch effort to take you down. Nothing is a threat. Second bee blader? Pssh. Same fate as the first. I ain't even stopping to fall in the pit. While this is going on the scenery in the back is subtly shifting from a dense urban area to something more sparse and when you stop seeing tall buildings it hits you that you're single-handedly pushing back the invasion. All they've got left to send at you is a couple scowling helicopters and some guys in cars that are probably left over from the first wave. You pass the toll booth where a few wrecked cars remain and you're on the outskirts of the city feeling victorious when a massive ship appears overhead and starts dropping reinforcements. They're nothing you can't handle and you feel unstoppable.

And then Vile drops in. You put in the best fight you can but you can't do anything to this guy who's just toying with you. He takes your feeling of being unstoppable and slams it right into the ground until the most memorable music in any video game starts up and the guy you couldn't even scratch gets his arm blown off in one shot by this super fast red guy who's charging up round 2 immediately and you wish you were him. And then through the game you pretty much become him. God drat that stage is incredible. It is 3 minutes of gameplay and it is better directed, teaches you more, and generates more emotion and investment in the player than the first 2 hours of any other game.

X2's intro stage is thematically a complete reversal of X1's. Where X1 has X as the last man standing against a full on invasion, X2 has X at the forefront, leading a raid on a hold-out Maverick base with shots whizzing past him and blowing up green wheelie guy. Right off the bat you're introduced to everything being faster. The music feels faster, you're on a hover bike that you slam into a guy before the stage even starts, and you're in the middle of a firefight. You remember the dash from X1 and push the button and it works, so you're not plodding along like before. You're already the badass and you're only going to get even better. You've blitzed into the base past all their defenses, so the only enemies you encounter are factory tools and barricades that can at best try to slow you down, drop you in wreckage, or crush you in a trash compactor. Getting past the crusher you see just the edge of a foot that is as big as you are. Oh god, am I going to be fighting something like X1's final Sigma right out of the gate? Bring it on! You drop down into a huge open pit with no way out and then one of those huge things drops and...well really isn't all that threatening unfortunately, but at least it's big and started the trend of huge intro stage bosses. But if you fell off the scaffolding you'd certainly feel like you're in trouble!

X3 calls back to X1 with defending against an invasion, and not even on the edge of a city, they're in the core of it. Only this time rather than being the guy they left home because you're a scrub, you're at the forefront, taking out bee bladers while they're still in the air, and you're an equal to Zero who has a sword now because swords are cool. The music has a fast beat and gets your adrenaline going immediately. You're cleaning out your base from the ambush like it's nothing when you get betrayed by someone you thought was an ally, marking the first time you actually see the Maverick virus's effects personally. Enter Zero with a new, heroic theme, and for the first time in the series you get to be that guy from X1, and sure he may run and jump like a christmas ham, but he has the firepower you always wanted and remember him for, with multiple charged shots and a sword that is a one hit kill on anything. You save and resume control of X and you're on to the boss, who is, as is now a staple, huge, and he's damaging the building as you fight him, giving the pressure that if you take too long there won't be anything left.

God I love those stages and have written way too many :words: about them. I apologize if you read all that poo poo. They should be held up by every game designer as hands down the best way to do any intro stages, regardless of genre.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jan 3, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

As it turns out, associating game design trends you hate with a character just so that you can physically abuse them (even if in cartoon form) as an outlet is kind of a poo poo thing to do, especially if that character is female. Funny, that.

Now everyone drop it so we can go back to talking about how MMX is the poo poo.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

^^^^ None of the powers were necessary or really even all that great. They were there as a means of providing extra challenge and a goal. I can't fault anyone for disliking the system if they were big fans of weapon usage in past games, though.

Personally I thought the guilt trip for upgrades in Zero was a neat idea. I think it can motivate the player to want to rise to a challenge if they're going to be saving something better than a game telling you "Haha you loving scrub. Why don't you try baby mode?" I pick up powerups without a second thought in the other series because there's no cost to it, but knowing that I'd be killing the elf spurred me to try to be better at the game/save scum more. Also it's an unpleasant notion that you have to sacrifice someone else to get power. It's not particularly subtle, but it fits right in with the MMZ world being a pretty terrible place and the game generally being darker than previous series.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

For those of you who enjoy the movement aspects of the X games, on a whim I checked out a game on Steam called Cloudbuilt. It's sort of a third person wall running (think Mirror's Edge style but faster) and dash booster game with minor shooting elements, and the player character's design is pretty clearly Mega Man inspired. It has some probably dumb bullshit psychological meditation story since those are all the rage nowadays, but I've pretty much been ignoring and skipping through it.

All that being said, I would honestly recommend just waiting until it goes on sale if you're a little interested. The controls are a little too floaty for my tastes, but the developers are supposedly still working on refining that. I think it has potential, but definitely wait for a sale.

Here are the tutorial level and first level:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07IH14g3acc

chumbler fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 31, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

You can say almost anything you want about Bayonetta, but "Worse in any respect than Other M" is not one of them.

But this isn't the Bayonetta thread.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

All four Zero games had great music, really. It's honestly kind of hard to rank them relative to each other, beyond 2 edging out the others. The other three all had some shortcomings that put them a little behind. 1 was unpolished due to being the first in the series, 3 went on I think a tad long and the knight form Omega fights were lame (final boss was fantastic, though), and 4 just didn't really have very memorable bosses overall.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 8, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

I played the one where you can steal weapons (Z4 I think) but I couldn't enjoy it because the weapons you get from enemies are weeeeeak and with limited ammo too. It was such a cool mechanic in theory :(

I think 2's whip was the only special weapon that didn't really feel lame or redundant. The staff in 1 and tonfas in 3 were nothing special, and as you say 4's grab just didn't do a whole lot of interesting things. The axe was good and that's really all I remember.

Zero 4 is sort of comparable in my mind to X6. Not in terms of quality, since Z4 is nowhere near as terrible as X6, mainly because it isn't terrible at all, but it just felt needless. Zero 3 could have easily tied up the whole series if they'd wanted, but then Zero 4 comes along with an almost entirely new cast and a lame, weakly connected plot. I just didn't feel that same investment, inasmuch as one can be invested in a Mega Man game, in 4 compared to the others. It also had a lot of mechanical bloat compared to 2.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 11, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Thinking about the BN games, I wonder if Capcom has ever released anything about how they went about balancing the various chips, codes, and PAs. The answer is most likely "They didn't really think that hard about it", but it would be interesting if they had planned a lot of full builds in advance or just went with more thematic stuff like swords all being S. I wonder if they had actually considered things like mono-code PAs having that inherent advantage over A-B-C types, etc.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

I've spent most of the day re-reading the BN5 LP on the archives and one of the observations is that there are a poo poo ton of S-codes in that game to better encourage chip code unity. Another observation from Epee Em was that BN4 had a ton of A-B-C PAs whereas BN5 features a lot more uni-code ones, so at least by the time of BN5, Capcom was doing proper folder-building stuff. I know in BN6 it's absurdly easy to have a fully unicode folder by the time of Diveman's scenario.

Oh they definitely built around uni-code folders, but I am more wondering if they ever put proper thought into multi-code folders to make them worth using despite their inherent disadvantages. I never played 5 or 6, but in the prior games I can't think of any cases when multi-code folders or PAs were worth using outside of it being all you had.

Really I'm not even sure how you'd do it without changing fundamental system mechanics or making multi-code PAs way stronger. Maybe you'd have to just nerf the uni-codes a lot and make them have to rely on attack boost chips to get appreciable damage?

chumbler fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 21, 2014