Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Buy a prickle barrier!

Also abuse hit invincibility, and take either Zero or Axel with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Ryu and/or Chun Li?

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Squirtle Squadee posted:

I don't know if you can buy it in America. I googled it, and I found this.

There's links to places you can buy it in America over on the right of that page. Specifically, Play-Asia and CD Japan.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Plus, he programmed Rock and Roll to act like brother and sister. The rest are "family" in the sense that he built them, but they don't really seem like they all consider each other brothers.

Not that it matters, this won't go anywhere.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

A lot of the time what appears to be a horrible mishmash just isn't polished yet. Obviously none of that was intended for public consumption, so it hadn't gone through polishing at all. The real problem is that bringing a risky idea like that, or like a follow up to a cult favorite series, or a game you build yourself to market requires someone with the leadership and drive to say "we'll keep at this until we get it right". Inafune was pretty clearly that guy, or at least the closest thing they had to it. Once he was gone, the higher ups probably realized they had no one willing to make these into workable concepts, and they passed.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Axl was introduced in X7, where X wasn't initially playable because X7 was a terrible game. Axl was pretty much shoe-horned in, but as of X8 his playstyle is more machine-gun based than X, and he can do a short hover. He can copy enemy forms for pretty much situational abilities, and all his weapons are new guns based on boss abilities. I think he has close to infinite ammo, but doesn't really drop as much damage as fast as X or Zero.

e;f,b

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Am I the only one who didn't love X4? The levels felt shorter, the entire final area was kinda ugly and meh, the graphical style didn't really do it any favors by looking more bland, and it felt like you had way less space to play around in. I liked it when I first played it, and frankly played the poo poo out of it, but I think I've grown to completely hate the PSX X graphical style. Everything just feels off, the CGI work is bland and samey, from X5 onwards they loving abuse wireframes for "CYBER" things, and it just falls apart. X4, though, just didn't feel very good to me in the end. Sure you could play as Zero, but the level layouts ranged from pretty good to straight line, maybe going up a little. It just feels ugly and mishmash-y to me now. Good poo poo I cannot seem to articulate my points well.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

It's so weird that every floor in the PSX era tilts upwards right behind where everyone walks. Everyone's walking in halfpipes. Or at least quarter pipes. Or in stairwells you'll walking at a 45-70 degree angle.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

Capcom needs to gently caress off with the whole "We need Call of Duty sales for EVERY game or it's a dead series" mentality. It's almost as bad as Nintendo's anti-online mentality. They're gonna run out of franchises they can use because everything else won't sell the 10 million units they're expecting. At this point, Platinum Games does a better job at being Capcom than Capcom.

Problem is, game development costs massive amounts of money these days. Capcom COULD cut a bunch of redundancy, restructure, and start making games that don't cost an arm, a leg, and an obscene amount of cocaine, but that involves higher ups in Japanese companies admitting they hosed up and getting rid of aging staff members.

So, Capcom probably DOES need to hit CoD numbers to make profits on their console games, because they won't restructure to make it possible to do otherwise.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Let's be honest.

Volnutt never had a chance.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

AHungryRobot posted:

And then only after the Yellow Devil completes its life cycle after starting out as Flubber.

No, Flubber looks too much like its final form.

It starts out as a Battonton.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

First you have to tease out how THOSE work. It's not like the port is going to be in plain code, completely unencrypted, easy to be hacked. Plus they worked pretty badly if I remember correctly.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Also it was made by Treasure. That should basically be a selling point right there.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

There are halfway points, but yeah, levels feel VERY long. Also, I have the opposite problem with ladders, in that I can't just seem to hold up and grab them as I fall; I have to tap it. Which is different from past games if I remember right.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Ok, so, Tank Man level issue: When you reach the part with the ceilings/floors that move you in a direction, the third screen with them you climb a ladder with a moving floor to the left and a spike wall to the right. If you climb the ladder and move even a pixel left, you will somehow be shoved directly over the ladder into the spikes. Moving CEILINGS throw you, floors are just conveyors; so apparently this floor decides to slam you into a death that shouldn't work.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Am I missing something in Trinitro Man's stage? The third screen, there's a ladder falling/grabbing section, and there is not enough loving screen real estate to grab the loving ladder as you fall before you pass it. Especially with the whole "diagonal-up doesn't grab ladders" issue.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Finally got past after changing my controls to use the analog stick instead of the D-Pad. Apparently you can do the diagonal ladder grab if you do that.

Which is bullshit, because D-Pad is so much better for everything else.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Rush Jet is probably from Nail Man specifically; I certainly didn't get it from Yo-Yo Man.

On that note, D-Pads configured via the game's menu cannot do Diagonals. Just confirmed it with Yo-Yo Man's weapon; it just loving does not do diagonals unless you have an analog stick set up, or maybe keyboard keys. Either way though, game-configured D-Pad is hosed. Use XPadder or something I guess.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah. It had Mega Man straight up about to execute a pleading Wily. Like "gently caress THIS, YOU'RE JUST GOING TO DO IT AGAIN AND I'M GOING TO END THIS NOW! *charges buster*" Which even as a kid I thought was kinda hosed, knowing about the laws of robotics!

That was added into the American version. The original/Inafune version has Wily going "nope, can't do that Megaman" and Megaman just sits there because he really can't.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Mister Roboto posted:

Have you actually seen the ending or just read a description? It's not that different.

I actually think that feels significantly different, in that it specifically does not have Mega Man flat say he can kill Wily. He THREATENS to, but when Wily's like "really?", Mega Man just stops and doesn't say anything. The American version changes a sort of conflict between "just how much free will does he have/is it justified" into a clear intent and follow through that only happens to be interrupted. Basically, it's an issue that was specifically not given an answer in the original; and then the English version flat says "yep".

I'm not trying to act like this is a deep and significant thing, but I think that minor change makes the scene feel very different between the two regions, considering what it says about Rock, his mindset, and limitations.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

My main problem with ZXA was that you got somewhere around like 12 forms, and only 3 of them were any fun to use, but the other ones were still mandatory to switch to just to get by signature obstacles in your wandering. It wasn't like you beat a Robot Master or a Maverick and got their weapon; you beat a boss and transformed into them, only they sucked. They might have a wacky gimmick or be huge or something, but for actually traversing the areas for any amount of time you're going to be in one of the very few enjoyable forms to use.

This was coupled with the fact that the story went way too far into left field, continuing the same trend that Mega Man X4 started with going completely off the rails and getting into wacky land. X1-3 were stupid simple, in that their message was "shoot the bad robots" despite anything added on. When you got to the end of the game, the villain would monolog, and your character would respond "no it is you who is the villain pew pew pew" and then you would have a stupid ending and a run down of all the robot mans you shot until they exploded.

In X4, they attempted to add some grey to the story by blatantly having every single person in it be a moron. A skybase thingy falls on a city while Repliforce is patrolling there. There is exactly one logical response given about this, and after it no one reacts in any way that implies logical thought.

1. The Maverick Hunters tell Colonel and Repliforce "hey, this sky base just smashed into a city, we would like to ask you to stand down while we investigate why this happened and check for sabotage or foul play".

2. A comedy of errors begins, where Repliforce takes a simple request to let the police investigate as an affront to Reploids as a whole, and not only declare their autonomy from Earth, but also their right to carry space guns. They specify, of course, that they will only be carrying their space guns for peaceful purposes, because their goals are neither about insurrection or rebellion. They just want a peaceful society of soldiers who carry space guns, and they'll get it because they're the most powerful army (OF PEACE!) in history.

3. In response to this, they are declared Maverick as an entire group, because duh. Thus two Maverick Hunters are assigned to battle an entire army, navy, and air force, backed up by a rookie and/or a high ranking Repliforce member's sister who is INCREDIBLY obviously sympathetic to the Repliforce cause.

As it's presented in the game, a simple request to submit to questioning after a sky base falls in an area they were patrolling apparently causes an ENTIRE loving ARMY to revolt. As learned in the game, Repliforce had absolutely nothing to do with the incident, and in fact the Hunters almost immediately discover it was a traitor from THEIR organization that caused it. Sigma was behind everything. On its surface, the idea of Sigma turning two good organizations against each other, and the organizations' own willingness to go to war, seem to suggest a grey area. In practice, Sigma had actually gone to Repliforce's General and directly told him "hey, you should really kill all humans", and the General replied "get the gently caress out". A simple request by the Hunters later, and General flips over to "EVERYONE ON THE BUS, WE'RE TAKING OUR BALL AND GOING HOME". General knows, for a fact, that a MYSTERIOUS MAN, if he doesn't know it's Sigma himself, had the resources to secure a meeting with him, and also explicitly told him "hey, you should really kill all humans and Maverick Hunters, hint hint". He knows for a fact there's someone out there with a plan to set in motion a war. At no point does he stop and attempt to even tell the Hunters "hey, there's this nutjob out there that may have had something to do with this entire thing", he goes right to "we were asked to stand down, so gently caress you all".

That's X4, and compared to later stories, that's loving brilliant. X5 has a single jackass dropping a space colony on the world as part of an incredibly convoluted plot by Sigma to turn Zero evil again, possibly prompted by Dr. Wily from beyond the grave. While that's standard Mega Man story idiocy, it also includes the series saying that data is a physical object, and that robots have DNA. Sigma floats around as loving flying virus heads that hurt you/infect you on impact, and the final level is cyberspace but in real life. The explanation given for this is effectively "science magic", and it is at this point that the series throws up its arms and just hopes you don't give a poo poo anymore.

It is from this that we get stupid poo poo like cyberelves, physical cyberspace, Mega Man models, The Elf Wars (which is effectively "everything awesome happened off screen, and also everyone died"), and the various other sundry weird poo poo that clogs up the Zero and ZX series beyond "you are a robot, shoot other robots". For everything moderately interesting like Ciel building Copy X and loving up to the point he goes apeshit, we get something like magical science elves that sound like babies and look like little fairies.

That is the problem with these stories; they are stupid as poo poo in ways that just keep topping themselves.

Also good poo poo I get spergy about blue man shootin' jumpin' games.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Gortarius posted:

Dunno about those ZX games, I mean the gameplay looks good, but at the same time it looks like MGS4 in the sense that the gameplay may be really good but the whole game is dragged down by a horrible narrative, one so bad that it leeches enjoyment out of the actual game.

I mean, I'm looking at some clips of the game right now, and my god, it is disgustingly anime. This voice acting doesn't do it any favors either, not that anything anyone says is worth listening to anyway.

Why are robots wearing robes? Why does this pansy looking Albert have a gruff voice? It doesn't match at all. Also why is he talking about the souls of robots living inside him, what kind of garbage is this game?

It's amazingly, amazingly anime. Apparently Mega Man has gone from a shootin' jumpin' bot to some sort of mythological ideal that people want to be, and then when all the Mega Mans fight the best Mega Man gets the power to rule the world or some poo poo. You know, because there was at any point a logical progression between those two extremes.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

There's anime, and then there's "anime". If you want to be more specific, Astro Boy is a mature man's children's story, while Mega Man ZX is a childish man's mature story.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh yeah? Interesting, I'll have to check that one out, haven't played it.

I don't know why people say this, because it really doesn't. It's a fun enough game, but it's mostly a third person shooter with some fast dashing and stuff. It doesn't feel Megaman-ish in the least, or X-ish, or anything like that.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Not only are they not making those, they cancelled their last Mega Man handheld title around a year ago.

By the way, that title was Mega Man Legends 3.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I've beaten Unlimited a few times; I can tell it's a bitch, but I don't know about completely apeshit hard. Certainly learning how to abuse weapons helps, along with killing Nail Man first for the Rush Jet. Easy Mode helps with the jumps, but I don't know. The controls feel tight, and some practice made me way better at the game.

I'll admit it's got some problems, but while my first couple of hours were bashing my head against the game, I don't feel it's too cheap anymore. Not as much as I initially thought at least. Definitely abuse boss weapons, though.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Screaming Idiot posted:

While he still suffers from Megaman-style aesthetics, at least he's a fun take on the weapon-stuffed murderbot.

"Suffers"? I think that's one of the big strengths here. We were just talking about Mega Man Zero, which is pretty much the opposite of Mega Man aesthetics, so I can see where you're coming from, but this looks much more appealing than "mishmashy bodysuit with spiky chunks and clumps of rings and poo poo".

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

If you could actually C&D for extremely gameplay, I don't think a great number of games would actually exist. You can sue over use of property and trademarks, but you can't, for instance, say "We own the concept of a character that jumps on enemies".

Basically, yes, if they filed off the numbers and called terms different things, they could definitely do Mighty Battle Network.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Screaming Idiot posted:

How about a Megaman game where you only play as Megaman and he has access to his charge shot and slide and there are all new Robot Masters with interesting weapons and neat, innovative stages and the game doesn't look like something on a game system that stopped being fun to play twenty years ago.

We had that game. It was called Mega Man Powered Up. It looked like the NES game only in general aesthetic alone, you had access to a Mega Man with Charge and Slide, there were two new Robot Masters with new weapons, and the stages were all new. PLUS there were NES versions of the stages.

What would you like? Powered Up with different graphics and names for the bosses? That seems to be the only really big difference here for you; you hate the Powered Up look. Well that's fine. We have another game for you. It's called Mighty No. 9.

What do you want your Mega Man to look like? NES Mega Man? MM7 Mega Man? Well, Beck looks a little like Mega Man, but apparently that's a bad thing. A company is trying to give us what is basically a Mega Man game in all but name, because the company that OWNS that name refuses to. You seem to consider this a bad thing.

Why does Capcom, a company that has repeatedly hosed over their properties in various and multiple ways, with a history of horrible moves and consistent missteps, have more pull with you than some of the people who've actually made good Mega Man games?

Do you just love the brand name THAT much? Do you need the little Capcom jingle to enjoy Mega Man? Does the idea of Mega Man's design carry more weight with you than the game itself?

You don't even know how Beck really plays, and neither do we, but you're judging the entire thing as though it's practically in your hands. You're also judging it on the basis that it's Not Mega Man. Which we know. Except, considering Capcom's the one who owns the property, and who gives no fucks whatsoever about Mega Man, this is better than anything they've done in years.

Your dream Mega Man game came out years ago. It was called Mega Man X. Capcom doesn't make those anymore.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I don't think it's so much that they care, as that they can't. Or at least, they can't conceive of it anymore. These days, actually putting out a physical release comes with certain expectations on consoles. Whether they're really justified or not is a moot point, since they're there. Tons of content, tons of features, gotta justify that $60 tag, or maybe a $40 budget tag but that cuts into the profits, gotta have that poo poo in HD, need tons of levels, that sort of thing.

Mega Man is, in many ways, locked into a certain level of content simply by its nature. You have a grouping of bosses, eight being the top. They all give you a weapon, so gotta make those different enough to matter and that's hard as is. Your stages need to be tackled in any order, so can't make them too reliant on weapons, so that means mandatory backtracking is generally out unless you want to make it really egregious.

Your work in the boss levels gives you the expectation of getting rewards for beating levels, so you don't want to have an initial 8 and then like 40 fortress levels where you don't get jack, so gotta keep those compact. You have a weakness chain, and you can't add like 20 more bosses without overwhelming the player with choice.

So, without changing up the formula in a lot of ways, your Mega Man game is tied into a level of content deemed "unacceptable" for current console games of any note. You can't just tack on more and more levels like a Mario game or a Rayman game.

It IS difficult to make a standard Mega Man game, put it on, say, the PS3, and make it justify a $60 price point. So, that poo poo has to be changed up. More and more content is needed, and content costs money. When you're a company like Capcom and you're run by the type of people who hate risk, you don't take it.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Oh, I just want to clarify, I'm not saying I agree that Mega Man NEEDS to be 8 bosses, 4-6 fortress stages, end credits. I'm just saying that that's probably the way Capcom's brass looks at it. Mega Man game is those criteria. Releasing game on console takes a different set. Changing up Mega Man to be successful with console criteria requires risk. Risk is a horrible monster to be avoided because shareholders hate it.

I think Mega Man could be a ton of different things. I'm rather partial to the Ratchet and Clank-style idea.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Let's be honest, Other M is a mediocre game with a horrible story and some bad mechanics.

Mega Man, on the other hand, has the loving DOS games. Also X6. Also X7. Also XOver.

Other M might be pretty poo poo in the end, but Mega Man's lows are really really loving low.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

You're thinking of it the wrong way. He wasn't backing horrible games. He was backing new ideas with IPs. The idea of making Mega Man X into an FPS might sound stupid as poo poo; the idea of turning Metroid into an FPS was, too, and Prime was loving amazing.

He wasn't backing that stuff because he was a moron, he was trying to do something different with the IP than Mega Man NES style game again. It's the same reason he backed stuff like dMc; he wanted new blood and new ideas on those games instead of what he saw as the stagnation of Japanese game development.

Obviously those didn't pan out. Something similar DID though; Metal Gear Rising, which is essentially taking the Metal Gear universe and doing something nuts with it.

Inafune is doing MN9 because not only do people want more Mega Man, but because this is new blood working on it. It has the standard Mega Man set up so far; but it's also got co-op, a temporary power up mechanic, race modes, and a ton of other stuff. Yeah, it might be a step back from his idea of "let's do really new poo poo", but it's still far more than most developers will do.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Legal issues surrounding TV shows being literal advertisements for a product. Such as, you cannot run commericals for a show's toys and such during a show. Yes, the show is essentially a 22 minute advertisement for Battle Network. You still can't say "hey kids! Want more Mega fun? Go get Battle Network for the GBA!" during the show.

So far as I know this is not an issue elsewhere, but in America, yeah.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Add a crash bomb wall shortly before the boss door, along with an enemy spawner or two, to teach the player "hey you might wanna conserve this weapons a bit, we're going to make you use it". Also allow you to carry more. Also let you shoot through crash bomb walls with your buster to damage it, but make it difficult to hit and each plink only does one damage, with flashing invincibility frames. Basically, an emergency "oh poo poo" back up that's really really inadvisable, but at least you don't have to die every time you miss.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

RushJet1 posted:

Wow this thread is dead for now.
LIKE THIS FRANCHISE DOOOOOOOOHOHOHOHO

...now I'm sad.

In other news, over in the Let's Play forum the general fangames LP thread has been doing LPs of Super Danny 2 and Megaman Revolution. They've also finished an LP of a horrible MMX Fangame called 21XX, and a Touhou/MMX/DMC weird mashup game. Link here.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I'm pretty sure it's completely possible to get in front of both of the bulldozer enemies. Without destroying them.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Kanos posted:

It's no coincidence that the best official Megaman games are the ones where the special weapons are massively powerful. :colbert:

The only problem with the Charge Shot is how much it tends to be the go-to weapon, as opposed to the special weapons. I loving love really really useful weapons.

This may be why I like Unlimited so much. Every weapon is good to use to me, and I'm willing to overlook many of the flaws of the game when it almost feels like it's built around picking the right weapon for the job. Doing a pure buster run is a loving chore, but taking levels apart with an arsenal feels so good.

Kurui Reiten fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 18, 2013

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

That's Bifrost. He also has Wheel Gator's wheel attack, because why the hell not?

There are also some puzzles you solve by transforming into him; not because he has any special abilities, but because he weighs more than the other transformations.

She. Bifrost is female. Also, I seem to remain the only person who was not enamored by the whole "turn into the bosses" thing, when most of the bosses were incredibly situational and were useless when not in those specific instances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

No Bifrost is a dude. Queenbee the Hymenopteroid and Hedgeshock the Erinaceroid were the only female Pseudoroids in ZXA

Just looked it up, and you're right. I'm probably confusing Bifrost with Polar Kamrous from MMZ2.