Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I thought that looked pretty cool, and with more development, could probably have been a fun game. I would have liked to play it. My only problem with it is that it really didn't have any sort of Mega Man feel. Would probably have done much better as its own IP, if it was going to keep that style. I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with the idea of Mega Man as an FPS, but that didn't seem like what it should have been. (of course, there's Mega Man 8-Bit Deathmatch, but...)

And pointing out the similarities of Vanquish and Mega Man is more correct than you might think since both Mega Man and Vanquish had the old anime Neo Human Casshern as a source of inspiration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

X6 had some pretty great music, especially Infinity Mijinion's stage. And I'll give X6 one thing with regards to gameplay: it made navigator information optional. Alia's captain obvious information ruins X5 entirely for me, it would be a kinda decent game without the forced stops all the time. But even then X5 is still a better game than X6.

X8 I found amazing and it's honestly my favourite X game together with X4. I thought the final stage was the only one where they went overboard with the spikes.

Maverick Hunter X is also good (and one of the games I got a PSP for), I like that it does new things rather than just rehash the entire original game with new graphics. Moving the upgrades around means a slightly different boss route... okay, it really only means that you do Flame Mammoth first and then go on to Chill Penguin, but still. I wouldn't have minded if they had changed weaknesses around too, like in Powered Up.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I never felt X8 became overly gimmicky. The stage mechanics worked. Well, except for Gigabolt Man-O-War's stage. gently caress that stage.

And it's actually the longest game in the X series except for Command Mission. (I base this information on that it's the only one where a speedrun is over one hour long.)

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Xtreme 1&2 are not that bad, really. Except for the part where there's not enough buttons to have dash anywhere sane. And they definitely have issues. But I wouldn't call them bad games.

I really don't like how you have to beat them twice to unlock the mode that's the full game, though.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Humans Among Us posted:

X5 was the least entertaining for me for some reason.
Alia.

And those Sonic robot masters have the laziest naming esepcially when there already was a Shadow Man before.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Yonic Symbolism posted:

1.) Are the weapons completely loving useless except as boss weaknesses or using a spiderweb to access power ups?
Essentially, yes, X's subweapons are pretty terrible in X4. I can't even remember the last time I played X4 with X because Zero is so much better in every possible way.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

So, RushJet1, guy behind the pretty amazing Mega Man 3 Remade soundtrack, just released "Mega Man 9.5" on Bandcamp. Give it a listen, it's quite good.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I came here to post about the release of Mega Man Remade and then saw that RushJet1 himself is posting here so I'll take this opportunity to say that RushJet1, your remixes are absolutely loving amazing and I'm going to throw some more dollars at you soon.

Pasteurized Milk posted:

I'd play a Megaman that went full shmup.
There's always MegaMari for that.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I hold X4 and X8 as the best MMXs, with the big exception of Gigabolt Man-O-War's stage because seriously gently caress that stage. And all the SNES ones are great.

X5 would have been a fully decent game if it didn't have Alia. It's not the only fault it has, but the rest of them aren't nearly as bad as the fact that you get forcibly stopped every ten seconds for unimportant information. Making the Navigator messages optional was the only thing X6 had that improved upon X5.

X6 is an orgy in terrible stage design and X7 is an orgy in terrible everything. Really, just watch the LP.

The Wonderswan game isn't anywhere near as bad as those two. It's not even a bad game, really.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I hold X4 and X8 as the best ones myself, but the SNES offerings aren't far behind there. They're absolutely amazing and required plays too.

So, yeah, what people said. X6 and X7 are straight up terrible games (watch LPs of them instead of playing them, or something. I recommend being at least mildly drunk while watching X7 to ease the pain.), whereas I think X5 would have been a somewhat decent game were it not for Alia.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

No, hell is somewhat easier on the ears.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Mega Man 3 has always been better than Mega Man 2 anyway.

So I've been playing a lot of a really good Mega Man fangame I discovered recently, but given the content of it I'm not quite sure I should really link it here. You can probably guess from that what it has to do with so Google is your friend if you want to know more.

But, in other news entirely...

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

No, Rosenkreuzstilette I played back when it was first released and have considered pretty much the best Mega Man clone ever since. Sequel also good. I don't really consider it to be a fangame as such, as it's an actual released and sold product. The game I'm talking about is a freeware fangame that's a mix of Mega Man and something that I've learned is a good idea to never talk about on these here SomethingAwful forums.

Mordaedil: Yeah, they have a contract with Capcom. Incidentally, that's what prevents them from shipping outside of the US. Bottom of the page, under "International shipping":

quote:

Because this is a licensed product, our contract with Capcom limits us to sales in North America only. If you live outside of North America, we will not be able to ship pledged items to you.

If we reach enough funding, we will discuss extending our licensed territory with Capcom. You may still purchase the Mega Man Supporter pledge level to get updates and news. Backers that live in North America but outside of the United States must add the specified cost for shipping to their pledges.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

^ I always go Air Man first, then Crash, then Metal. Having Item-2 in Metal Man's stage means getting two E-tanks you couldn't get otherwise.

And I'll always consider Thunder Beam to be the best Mega Man weapon.

AHungryRobot posted:

Are you talking about that MLP fan game? Cause if it's not that then no, I have absolutely no idea what you're referring to.
Yeah. It's really good but I'm not sure how good of an idea it would be to actually try to talk about it here. For those of you who want to try it, it's called Mega Pony. And let's leave it at that.

In other news, I finally returned to Mega Man Unlimited the other day, and while I was told it had gotten updates to make it better it really just keeps dropping all kinds of bullshit. I even managed to find the boss that was weak to the one weapon I had managed to get and I still couldn't beat him. And I very well hope whoever designed Rainbow Man's stage was given an appropriate punishment because making an entire stage out of the one thing (well, one of two things) everyone hated about Mega Man 2 and making it even worse is not okay.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Okay, someone help me out here. With all this talk of Mega Man fangames, I remembered that I never actually played Mega Man Dongs. But I can't for the life of me find a download of it anywhere. Google is failing me, all I find is the Let's Play and I don't see any download there.

Played through Mega Man Rock Force. It was pretty good. Perhaps not 100% there, it was perhaps even a bit too easy, but at least there was a very low amount of bullshit in it. So that's a bonus.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Ah, thanks.

I think I'll stream my first time playing it. There is nothing that can possibly go wrong with this plan.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

He's done the eyebrow thing too much so now one is stuck in the upper position and the other stuck in the lower.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

The cutest one that I voted for originally isn't in the running anymore, but out of these, E is definitely the best.

Not that I can vote anyway since I'm not a backer.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Play all of the NES ones. Mega Man 3 is the best Mega Man game that was ever made. Going back to Mega Man 1 after 2 might be a bit jarring though.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

StevenM posted:

I haven't played Power Battle or Power Fighters so I'll look into those. Seems as though I'll have to hit up MAME or get an import console for Mega Man Anniversary Collection. Which version of MMAC is worth looking into?
Either, really, but go for the PS2 version unless you have a GC Hori SNES-style controller. I think having shoot on A and jump on B makes perfect sense for the GC pad layout, but you want to play with a d-pad and the DS2 beats the GC pad easily for that. And the Hori pads are expensive as hell these days. So glad I got mine back when for like $20.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

You can't play as them, no. They're just there for flavour/story reasons.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Jet adapter is from MM6. Which is a good game.

3 is the pinnacle of the series but all of the 8-bit ones are good so just go ahead and play them all in order. Don't venture into the hacks world just yet. :V

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I don't think MN9 isn't going to be a good game, but I'm really looking more forwards to Gunvolt at this point.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Now I'm looking forwards to both Azure Striker Gunvolt and Mighty Gunvolt more than Mighty No. 9.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Seeing Mighty No. 9 in motion for the first time, good god that's a goofy walking animation.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

The correct answer that she should have all of them.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Playable robot masters and playable Vile are more than enough justification for the existence of the remakes.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

beepstreet posted:

Recently completed X4, moved onto X5 - pretty significant downgrade in several ways. The race against the clock theme is nice, but these levels are super gimmicky and not fun. Time to finally go back and play the SNES games, yeah?
X5 would have been a half decent game if not for Alia really but yeah the stage design is a downgrade too.

Basically skip X5-X7 and go straight to X8 after X4.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Star Man posted:

EDIT: now that I think about it, fighting Vanishing Gungaroo could have been loving amazing since he begins the fight in his own ride armor. Would have been a great time to finally put in the option of a fight between a player character and a boss where both are in ride armor. But no, it's another disappointment.

Seriously, I just want one X-series fight where X and the boss beat the poo poo out of each other in ride armor.
Not to defend the piece of poo poo that's X7 but this is wrong: you CAN actually bring a ride armour into the Gungaroo fight. Not entirely sure if it was intended to be possible, though.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

In the X4 and X8 fights you can bring ride armours into there's specific ways to enter the boss rooms while in them, but in Vanishing Gungaroo you (if I recall correctly) have to get OUT of it before the boss cutscene, leaving it in the area where the boss fight happens in that room, and then it's still not in the same spot you left it after the cutscene when you have to jump back into it. So who knows.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Rockman 2 Gray Zone is the best hack for 2. Deus Ex Machina and No Constancy are also top tier. I think it was mostly the same people working on them too. I also second Wily's Dream Space as a really good hack. Then there's a bunch of varying quality and I can check which ones I remember as good when I get home. I like Byte's Adventure for MM1 for being one of the few that doesn't do bullshit difficulty just because it can, and actuall ends up being an easier game than the original.

As for fangames, there's that one I think was named Rock Girl or Rock Gal which is in Flash, and somewhere on the internet, and, well... there's Mega Pony which is exactly what it sounds like but despite everything it's a legitimately great Mega Man fangame with imo an amazing soundtrack.

Then you have what probably is the best Mega Man clone, though not an 8-bit throwback, Rosenkreuzstilette and sequel Rosenkreuzstilette Freudenstachel (the former is the better one). And if you're into bullet hells and want it mixed with your Mega Mans, MegaMari. These three aren't freewares though.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Rockman & Forte is a great game, and I've oftentimes called it the game that Mega Man 8 should have been. Easily a better game than 7, too. Can't say much about the GBA port since I don't think I ever played that.

Gammatron: Did you even play X8 'cause that was fantastic and an absolutely amazing comeback after the atrocity that was X7. X5-X7, though, are best ignored.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Wily what are you doing with your hair.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Rockman Deus Ex Machina has a very cool but tough Zero fight. And it's a romhack.
Deus Ex Machina is great. It's the only hack I've played where the items are something significantly different. For those interested, they're not even items, they're more like skills. A high jump, a temporary invincibility and a hover jump. One of the three best MM2 hacks, easily.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Did you finish any stage without savestates? I found the game impossibly difficult at times.
Can't actually remember. I might have, but not on my first playthrough.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Vanquish and Mega Man both drew inspiration from Neo-Human Casshern, too.

To be specific, Vanquish should be compared to Mega Man X and not Classic.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

-No, it's still not out in Europe.
I'll be legit mad if we don't get the Mighty Gunvolt promo when it comes out here.

WDIIA posted:

Hey, so RushJet1, the dude who does the upgrades/remakes of Mega Man music came out with his album for MM2. It's dope and free
http://rushjet1.bandcamp.com/
I listened to this the other day, and honestly I have to say it's not anywhere near as good as MMR and MM3R. It's very uneven, some songs feel like they miss the mark, and Weapon Get is straight up bad.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

http://rushjet1.bandcamp.com/album/mega-man-ii-gb-remade

So this happened.

Listening right now, liking it so far (though I'm only two robot masters in).

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Light Gun Man posted:

Hey you Like Mega Man?

Get the new Shantae.
I want to but it's not out in Europe yet and neither is Gunvolt.

Stupid region-restricting of digital releases...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Bought this myself the other day. It's certainly not bad, but not without issues. A set number of hit points rather than an energy meter isn't bad in and of itself, but with there literally being NO way of healing during stages, it gets annoying fast. You don't even get to heal during the boss refights (spoilers: there's boss refights in a heavily Mega Man-inspired game), and some boss attacks are really unforgiving to avoid. You also lose all your powerups and have to gather meter from scratch if you die, so, yeah. Sadly the Gradius-inspired powerup bar leads to Gradius syndrome. There even being a speed powerup in a platforming game feels like a bad idea from the start.

Still, worth the price, I'd say.