Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

The live action MM movie wasn't what I would call unspeakably terrible, but I wouldn't put it up with much. Light's actor was really the best the acting pool of that movie had to offer, but when you have such terrible, vapid actors for Rock and Roll, it's just hard to save it. But I won't bash it for the CGI, though. Considering what he had to work with on that front, it's enough to get his point across.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

MMZ2, though certainly an improvement in level design, and pretty much everything, it does ramp up the difficulty curve. Significantly. It's the only game I don't bother with doing straight S-Rank runs in. It's just so aggravating at times.

Also, someone was mentioning ZX's last stage being unreasonable. Just wait until you get to ZXA's final stage. That is nuts.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I just dug out my old SNES, but much to my dismay, most of my SNES games disappeared in the flood we had a few years back. So now I need to repurchase X1-3 (Even though I have the MMXC, but that version of X3 is terrible). This will hit the pocketbook pretty drat hard.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Oh, don't get me wrong. X3 is, by far, my favorite. I love the X series. It's just that the remixed music was just bad. Especially in comparison to the original.

Seriously, though, I love the X series so drat much. Enough that the inclusion of an X character in a game is enough to make me buy it with no second thoughts (TvC, MvC3). I would do an LP of the MMX series, but I'll be damned if I'm not terrible at X5-7.

Speaking of MvC3, though, I hate to get excited over rumors, but if they're actually considering X (given all the clamor over him in the Capcom polls and at the launch party, after all), I would be so happy.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

See, I'm kinda the reverse of that in many ways. I loved the music, and there was always something new and interesting to find and acquire. And with the fact that pretty much ever weapon has an accompanying situation with which to acquire another item or get someplace else. That's more than I can say for X2's arsenal, even though I love it to death, some of them just aren't that practical, and kinda just suck.

The armor parts are also all pretty useful. Sure, the radar kinda sucked, but it's better than the Item Tracer. The buster is nice and versatile, and the secret upgrades were all nice, and the hidden final upgrades are my favorite in the series.

I suppose I can understand why someone wouldn't like it, but I find the perfection of it to be, much in the same way, a stacking up of little things. The only real problem for me is the fact that enemy reaction AI is kinda stupid, but it wouldn't be the first time that happened (The Flame Stag fight leaps quickly to mind.)

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

While I'm not a huge fan of the Classic games, I do like MM4, 7, and 8. But most Classic fans would consider me a heathen for liking the New/Super Mega Buster. I don't know why the charge shot seems to be so hated.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Re: Arguments about plot/characters/continuity.

See, I'm in the minority here. I like all the games in the X series. And their characters/plots. Sure, X7 is the weakest link by far, but I found myself grooving to its beat by the end. So all this bitching is foreign to me.

Take the MMBN series, for example. There's always bitching about the plot and Capcom Science in the LP, but I say "Who cares?" Just take it as a given for the game world and enjoy it. Since when is just taking it for granted and enjoying what there is shunned in favor of overanalyzing?

Hipocrisy: Now to completely contradict myself, it did kinda piss me off in X7 at how quickly they recovered from the Eurasia Incident. I mean, drat.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Crowetron posted:

Jumpin' on the "MMX Rules" bandwagon. I've always been more partial to MMX3, though.

Pretty much this. X3 is really the best it could've been, as far as I can see. Lots of stuff to find, cool music (the grunge inspired soundtrack was just as cool as the more classic rock from the other games), and a higher difficulty. The latter of which is always nice, unless the game name is Zero 2 or X6. They're both pretty cool, but trying for perfect runs are system-smashingly aggravating, often verging on the nigh-impossible.

The only problem with X3 is that, really, there weren't a lot of places to make use of all the cool stuff. It had, hands down, the best Ride Armor in the series (except maybe the one from X4), but there was rarely any need to use it, or any of them.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

I still want to know if X was voiced by a girl or not in X4. There's no way that voice came from somebody who has balls.

That's Ruth Shiraishi. The same chick who did Clown Man in MM8. That somehow makes things even worse.

See, stuff like that is why Mark Gatha will be the best VA for X. He should get back into the scene by the time Capcom decides to do another game with X.

Edit: Actually, it looks like she did Mega Man's voice in MM8, too. Huh. Okay. And she has a YouTube channel too. As a realtor in Japan. Good God.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Apr 24, 2011

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Crowetron posted:

"See you in my dreams~" Clown Man owns.

I suppose. It could've been Aqua Man.

Ugh. X with Aqua Man's voice is a terrible mental image.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Son of a bitch, I was just editing my post to mention that, too. It's still hilarious, though.

...Wait, Grenade Man? For real? His voice was awesome, what the hell?

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 24, 2011

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Screaming Idiot posted:

If I'm not mistaken, Mark Gatha's an orthopedic surgeon now.

It's also heartening to see that Lucas Gilbertson's as much of a fan of Zero as anyone else here. It's not often you see a voice actor so into his work, and I think Gilbertson's easy-going valley-guy drawl works well for Zero's character.

Yeah, according to Wiki, Gatha's an orthopaedic surgery resident in Newfoundland. Which means he'll never do X/Domon ever again. Oh well.

Also, yeah, I would've preferred Gilbertson in MvC3 for Zero as opposed to Bosch. I'm sure he would've been cheaper, if nothing else.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Mister Roboto posted:

:psyduck: No one has ever thought this other than pre-Snes Nintendo Power previews.

Or the Penny Arcade fellows, but they also thought Megaman X stood for Megaman 10, so eh.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

New Corrupted stuff, that ultimate charge ability is amazing. Simply amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_8T0RYlc8o

I just watched every video they had up. Holy mother of gently caress, that looks great. The structure of the game makes me wonder, though. I'm guessing it's supposed to be 'open world', a la ZX/ZXA? Interesting. I don't really like the whole Buster Energy bit, though. That looks a little bothersome.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

...what. What in the gently caress. What in the loving gently caress?!

God loving drat it, Capcom? Why do you hurt us fans? What is your problem? Jesus Christ.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Magil of Shadow posted:

loving Capcom. Who wants to start a riot and burn down Capcom USA?

I'm in.

Seriously, I'm expecting people to be posting pictures of people with torches and pitchforks in front of Capcom HQ by the end of the day tomorrow. I don't know why this would be anywhere near a good PR decision.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So, what're the odds that Capcom never intended to make MML3 in the first place, and just set this all up as a big way to draw attention to themselves? I wouldn't put it past them at this point.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

PonchAxis posted:

TvC sucked, but SF4 and MvC3 are pretty good (they're worse than their older titles but still really solid). Non-fighting game wise there hasn't really been anything out of capcom that has been exciting at all.

TvC was entertaining, but that was mainly because it allowed me to make a Zero/Karas dream team. And Baroque is still an awesome mechanic. I never actually owned it, though, by virtue of not having a Wii.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Volt Catfish posted:

They could always try a Megaman J-RPG

Oh wait, they already did. (How was Command Mission, anyway?)

This is one of those questions you'll never get a straight answer to. I loved it, despite its flaws, and I think it had the best X redesign. The exhaust scarf is so awesome.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Mister Roboto posted:

Maybe I'm the minority, but I'd like to see Megaman ZX continued.

Yes, the story isn't particularly complex, but it does have a campy cartoon fun feel to it, and I like how the MM universe has evolved with each generation.

And I want to see what Master Thomas' somewhat sinister plan for the immortality data was...

I agree, more ZX would be great. I loved Zero too, but I'm glad it ended where it did, and I can't see it continuing. It would just be so wrong. But I really want a couple of games covering the Elf Wars. And it might allow us to see the best X redesign ever yet again.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I never got the hate for X3. To this day, it's still my favorite. The boss weapons lack variety, certainly, but I use them so rarely in the first place, they might as well not exist. There was a lot of hidden stuff to find and poo poo to do. And the difficulty was refreshing as well.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Rough Lobster posted:

Man, am I the only one who really loved the Zero series art direction? I thought it was different and neat. Yeah, the characters looked 'young' but that's literally every character, so it's clearly a stylistic choice.

Nah, not at all. In my case, it's not the character designs I love so much as it's the way he draws things. It looks kinda like he never really erases his sketch lines, and that gives it a really grainy, coarse, and busy look to it, which I prefer to the very clean, polished look of most anime games.

And his variations on the Rider suits always look pretty cool too.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I always used R for dash, because it felt more natural. L was switch weapon.

Now, mind you, this only happened after I got Zero 1. Before that, I was king of awkward controls with being able to rapid dash, jump, and hold a buster charge at the same time. I got through all of X1-6 with the default controls as such. I don't know how I ever did it, to be honest.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

BloodDesk UnderHell posted:

I never played MMX7, so I'm imagining Sigma combining himself with a Yellow Devil. And you can only hurt his eye with that one boss item that sort of dies the moment it leaves your arm cannon. In 3D!

They're talking MM7, not X7. One is a good game that people hate purely because of the sprites used. The other is an abysmal, irredeemable piece of poo poo.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Not quite sure who cares for remixes/covers, but the guys over at OCRemix just finished a big old MMX compilation album. I just started downloading it, so I can't say how good it is, but it has some artists I recognize (Cyril the Wolf :swoon:), and I doubt you can MMX music up too bad.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

HaroldofTheRock posted:

I haven't had a chance to listen to that yet, but I'm honest to god offended that no one covered any MMX6 songs. The game has many, many, MANY shortcomings but it's got some of the best music in the series. No one wanted to remix this??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5IVzmZYu1I

Say what you want about Infinity Mijinion but the guy knew how to loving rock.

Well, good for you, because there's two remixes of that very song in the album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spN6X3FgH0A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6-bYvOM1Uk

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

X is different in the new series too. It shows X as has having the little cloak/robe thing, and I'd assume Copy X is designed to look exactly like regular X, who likely never changed his look. It's just assumed that, due to the art shift, they always looked that way. I'm pretty sure that's was said in an official statement, too.

It's really not worth getting up in a huff about.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

LemonLimeTime posted:

Also, from what I've seen Legends 2 seems a lot better, it supports analog control right? And I swear I saw this too, but can you now situate the camera to the right analog stick? (oh god please say yes)

You can, but why would you want to? Shoulder camera superiority. :colbert:

Also, if you're having trouble with Legends for some reason, try the walkcancel glitch. Stand in place and get a lock on an enemy, then rapidly tap up while holding down the fire button. You can fire pretty much as fast as you want with that method, making Rapid upgrades pretty much worthless. (It also makes getting Licenses in 2 so much easier.)

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

LemonLimeTime posted:

even if it basically is Namco/Bandai/Capcom/Whoever Else's answer to a 2D Dissidia. (and you know it's true)

There isn't any single emoticon in the SA repertoire that can adequately respond to this, so I'm just gonna throw a few out.

:cripes: :downs: :cawg: :bravo: :psyboom: :frogout:

(Look up Namco x Capcom, it's the furthest thing from Dissidia you could possibly get.)

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 23, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

X6 is so broken on every level. I remember the last level just being loads and loads and loads of spikes. So you did what anyone would do and equip the armor that can survive spikes but can't dash too far. OH WHAT'S THAT THE NEXT SECTION NEEDS YOU TO DASH FAR FUCKER

On the other hand if you got to the boss with that armor you literally jump next to him, press R2, and you won.

The Gaea Armor you're referring to isn't in X6. That's in X5. X6 had the Shadow Armor and Blade Armor.

Really, my biggest issue with X4-X6 is the general sluggishness of the controls. X/Zero feel like they're moving through water, rapid fire with the buster is way too slow, and X5/6 really like cutting your pace down to a crawl a bit too often (See: Duff McWhalen, Blaze Heatnix, etc). I still like them well enough, but nowhere near as much as I do X1-3, and the Zero games.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Shadow Armor had the same spike invulnerability but no airdash.

Oh, it did, did it? I never used it much because the Blade Armor brought back the good ol' vertical airdash, and didn't have a wacky buster shot pattern like the Shadow Armor did.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I'm probably an outlier as a VG music junkie, but X3 was metal as gently caress. Listen to the intro stage through a Genesis sound chip (for that FX crunch):

That song is great, but I'm a bigger fan of Blast Hornet's stage theme. That song rocks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56YmERBbckU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

The only ones that were useful 100% of the time were the guardians biometals and Model ZX which were all awesome. Mainly because playing as Harpuia and the rest is awesome.

Pfft, I loved making use of the otherwise worthless aquatic boss' form. Switch to him, get a quick time slow off, swap back to a combat form, repeat. Made most of the game pretty trivial.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

All this weapon talk bothers me. I don't think I ever use weapons in Megaman games outside of opening up secret paths for upgrades and crap, or for bosses who are immune to the buster. Buster all the way. So the apparent shittiness of certain game's weapon selections don't really bother me.

That's another thing, I seriously just cannot play Megaman games that don't have a charge shot. Legends is the exception because that has its own tricks (step cancelling :hellyeah:), but being stuck with the lovely pea shooter is just kinda lame. But then again, I still consider X1-3 to be the pinnacle of the series so :shrug:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

While I understand the logic of giving a higher rank to people who play without upgrades, it really is counter-intuitive as gently caress to punish people for getting upgrades in the successor to the Megan Man X series. It only got worse in later games where not getting an A-rank would lock you out of getting the secret boss weapoons. I mean, once you resign yourself to not using any cyber-elves, it's pretty doable, it just seems stupid to have to choose between cool moves and being at full power.

See, I disagree with this. At first, it was really stressful, but as I pushed myself to play the games without any upgrades, I found myself enjoying it so much more than with them. Dying in two or three hits, beating the game with straight S ranks, and so on, I can't imagine playing the Zero games any other way anymore.

The same thing happened when MGS started offering rewards for zero alert/kill games, striving for those showed me that's the 'true' way to play those games, and now it's just second nature to play that way, much like MMZ. It's a step on the way to mastering the game, and I love that the game sets itself up that if you take actions that will make you a better player, it'll start giving you better rewards.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

See, I heavily disagree with you there. The X games are really a great evolution of the Classic series, and the Zero series is even more improved, to the point that I'd say it's hit the perfect tone. Classic is just boring, slow, and not all that interesting. And with a fascination on taking out features, based on 9 and 10.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

Don't get so mad about video games.

Well, to be fair, he is pretty much right. In a series that's fixated on unforgiving difficulty, you've only got a few choices available to you. Either say to hell with it and be mediocre, or learn it properly and shine. Complaining that it's too hard and it should be compromised for the sake of ease sounds just as silly in regards to a Megaman game as it would a Souls game.

I really think Violen said it properly when he played through the X series and mentioned they're so well designed that they allow for things like self-imposed challenges like those he did. They're made so that no matter how you want to change up your playstyle, chances are they'll still hold up under that scrutiny. And that's why I love it so much, because there's so many tools at your disposal, you can take them away to make it more challenging, and chances are it'll still be interesting, and, like always, rewarding. And a game that rewards you for getting better at it is an undoubted Good Game. Whereas, if a game just gives you the prizes without making you earn them, it cheapens the experience, and it's much harder to determine if you are the one actually improving.

If given the choice between a game that withholds goodies from you until you prove you're worthy of them, or a game that just hands them out like candy, chances are the former will be more engaging, and worthy of replaying than the latter.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 16, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

Yup, gently caress lives. They're a relic and should die out completely.

Basically make everything like Rayman Origins, aka The Best Platformer. Though having a score penalty or something for deaths is fine. S-Rank for not losing a life, A-Rank for one life lost, and if you are S or A you get something like in Zero, but you can replay the levels to raise your rank.

Jesus Christ, no, you should not be able to brute force your way through a stage. There's no quicker way to reduce any consequences from a game than to make dying a mere annoyance rather than an actual, proper setback.

You should be afraid of dying, and doing your damnedest to avoid it at any cost. Otherwise you can just throw your face against the wall until you muscle memory your way through it, which could very well be the most boring thing. It's basically just coded-in savestate abuse. Lives are perfectly fine in an arcade-style action game, especially in a game that's less than an hour long.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Dec 17, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Sears Poncho posted:

I'm not really sure why you are talking about muscle memory like it is a bad thing? How is being good at a game like Mega Man not largely about muscle memory?

The problem comes from grinding muscle memory when you have infinite lives, and not being concerned about your deaths because eventually you'll get past the section with no consequences to the actual gameplay.

The thing is, though, is that you're not gaining muscle memory through repeat playthroughs of the game so as to clear the entire stage flawlessly, you're just dying repeatedly in a section hoping to eventually get past it just to say you got past it. Having infinite lives would be like having savestates every few seconds, like those bad Mario players on YouTube, just quicksaving, and if they die, quickloading over and over until they pass it. I don't think anything could be more boring and less conductive to a fun gaming experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Doggboat posted:

Dragon's Dogma and Asura's Wrath are among the top 5 games I played this year. Also while I'm no fan of SFxT, it's far from broken and bad in every possible way.
Stop talking out of your rear end.

Capcom makes some bad decisions, but calling them the worst game company out there is downright stupid.

Except SFxT is an awful, horribly broken, badly designed game. Any competitive game where quite literally the entire audience groans and boos when there's a bracket reset at a tournament because it means they have to sit through even more of an awful, boring game is generally a good sign that something has gone horribly horribly wrong.

Yonic Symbolism posted:

why does it bother you that most people won't use the more difficult option

There are several reasons. Most people who will play a game don't want a challenge, don't want to get better, and aren't interested in anything that takes them more than a couple minutes to figure out. They want the game to hold their hand and lead them from setpiece to setpiece. If you start redesigning games so that they appeal to most people, you'll generally end up with a dull, watered down, mess. Most people were excited when a game like SFxT was announced, but in trying to cater to most people, what we got was awful.

Contrasting that idea would be the Souls series of games, which gives no quarter, but that series manages to be almost universally praised because of its difficulty, and the consequences for dying being so high. It asks for you to get better, and if you don't, it actively punishes you for it. That's some drat good game design philosophy, and what I want to know is why you seem to think that making a game challenging but rewarding good play is such a bad thing.