Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Heh.

And the ZX Model itself is a fusion of X and Zero (what they always wanted HAHA GAY) so there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Orcasword posted:

Don't think anyone really bought Advent. It was a pretty goofy game overall.
I will definitely get it because ZX is fantastic. Still have to actually BEAT it, because goddamn the last stage is unreasonable. I'm not missing things, right? There are no health pickups between boss refights?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Looking forward to ZXA and definitely have to get it.

To me, Zero 2 is just about the perfect Mega Man game. It does absolutely everything right and hasn't got any point where I'd say "okay, that is stupid". Difficult maybe, but always fair. I love it.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

He's a bitch until you realize that everything he does can be absolutely controlled by you. He'll NEVER do anything until you attack. Meaning charge up your sword, shoot a single buster shot, he'll either fly backwards (run to the edge of the room, walljump over his attack), appear diagonally above (slash the gently caress out of him, disrupt his attack), clone himself 4 times (slash the one before you, if it's not the real one, dash through) or use his EX skill (just dash away).
If the floor begins to shake, just don't attack. Wait in a safe spot, then continue laying down the hurt.

He's your bitch. Make him feel it.

EDIT: On the subject of "difficult boss strategies":

quote:

I never get why Phantom is so hated, I think he's the easiest of the Guardians. Maybe it's because a lot of people seem really fixated on the Z-Saber; I'm a big buster fan, and doing him with slashes would indeed be a lot harder. Try shooting. Even a half-charged shot knocks him out of his charge attack. When he throws the shuriken he'll ride on, stay in the opposite corner and do a single jump, you'll clear it. Dash under him and unload charged shots while he flies. When he lands again, be prepared to shoot again to interrupt his charge attack. When he splits, single out the flashing one (it's easy) and either shoot it or use the triple rod. NEVER the sword, you'll automatically hit the wrong one.
If you're A or S rank, once he vanishes, just shoot half-charged shots blindly into the air. Don't bother finding him through positioning of his attacks. Stand in one corner and shoot. You're bound to hit him about half of the time; really, he's big enough and the AOE of the shot, too. 4 hits, I think, and the darkness is over.
(from me in my LP of MM1)

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jan 23, 2011

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

quote:

Simply put, in the primary game mode, once you beat a Robot Master and obtain his weapon, you can bring that weapon into any of the other four games. The same goes for support items, use items and other abilities. You can build up a whole arsenal and play with it. Experiment how effective different weapons are against bosses you could never fight with those weapons. Novices, who may be only able to beat a couple bosses from each game, could still build up equipment and feel rewarded. It also allows for new areas and functions in stages that can be manipulated with the various other weapons (although this steps into the realm of generating new content).
gently caress yes. Experimenting with special weapons for me is one of the funnest parts of any Mega Man game, this would be a tremendous idea, and makes me sad that I have never played Wily Wars.

Also, this sounds awesome even if it really shouldn't. It seems there are some people out there who operate contrary to Capcom principle, that is, don't ruin everything they touch inevitably. My hopes are high, though, that this is a trend that might have stopped, seeing as the newer Mega Man games were made by Inticreates and those guys seem totally capable of learning from mistakes, improving themselves constantly for that reason and generally don't do STUPID poo poo.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

pokecapn posted:

They ditched making ZX Extremus, and have made Galgun, so right there's a mistake and stupid poo poo.

I'd love a GB collection as long as it isn't as lazy as the Zero collection. Or put them on 3DS virtual console at a good price point (yeah right).
I stand corrected. Goddamn it Japan, why must you ruin everything.

Loving the Zero Collection, though. Don't care about them being straight ports, it's four games in one on my DS and I got hours upon hours of fun from it so what gives. Also pretty pictures.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I don't think any version could make X3 NOT terrible.

To be less provocative, it's not BAD, just not something I would at all care about if it's worse than it could be.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I love X1, 2 and 4 to bits and even enjoy playing 6, but X3 for me just isn't a good game. It's a lot of little factors that make it so...which is all you can ever complain about in a Mega Man game really, because the core formula is always the same and is always good.

For X3, those details that irk me just add up. The music is worse than in the first two titles. The weapons are boring. The bosses have stupidly repetitive patterns (and I'm not talking about how the get raped by weaknesses, most of them do anyway). It seems X takes arbitrarily a lot more damage than he should. Zero is basically useless. Many of the levels have those big, empty stretches that just make me wonder if they ran out of ideas (spoilers they did, it's Capcom we're talking about here).

The series really needed the jump to the PlayStation, with fresh graphics, a new music style and and engine they had to build from scratch (now with Good Zero). 4 is great.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I guess it just depends on what you expect from a Mega Man game, really. The beauty of the series is that anyone will find completely different games great.

I have yet to find somebody who loves MM5 as much as I do, though.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I think most people diss the buster because it's not the way it was in MM2.

5's was hugely overpowered, though. The AOE was far too big. You could rape the game completely just with what you were given at the start...you kinda had to if you were out for sexual assault because the weapons are on the lovely side.

Thing is...you can always just use the weapons instead. I love doing so, discovering new uses and all that jazz.

Perfect Buster, though, must be MMIV's (Gameboy). A bit less AOE than 5's...and, when fully charged, knocks you back a step. Why couldn't more games just...balance stuff like that?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

The section you describe is in Proto Man's castle; Wily castle is poo poo. There's nothing at all memorable or interesting about it, which is a shame. Agree with the music comment. Gravity Man has a great gimmick indeed. Don't like Wave Man at all, though; imho, it's pretty boring and the Jet Ski section follows suit. Also I love using special weapons :D.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

He does have a big fight with Zero in X5 though?

Or did I miss something?

I heard X8 was pretty good, sadly I haven't got a PS2 to try it.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Yeah, Zero seriously overshadows X in most aspects in the later games - from X4 on, when he didn't suck to play. I still love to play as X more than him, because I'm a big fan of the buster and special weapons, but...it's easy to see why they would go this route, one decision that's actually been a good one, in my opinion.

At least after the X games themselves, they are after all titled after X (this sentence has too many afters drat it). Thing is...X is just a drat lovely character, especially for a Mega Man game. His attitude...might work in an RPG...as a white mage...but certainly not if he's out there alone killing tons of dudes.
"Why must we always fight" is a GOOD QUESTION, in theory, but so totally at odds with his actions that X7 is actually the game where he gets handled most consistently...by staying out of the fighting altogether until he realizes that hey, it DOES save people. Gameplaywise, though, especially in that game, it loving sucks.

Zero, however, fits the whole tone far better and I love how he gets treated in his own series. Ciel fills the role of X perfectly, except that she DOES not fight (and doesn't have to), whereas Zero does what he does best: Not giving a gently caress. He's the perfect counterpoint to her bitching.
Also the Zero games have the Buster for him, too, and I'm absolutely okay with them for that reason. And we get the reverse-duel, that counts for something, right? Fighting X is a blast, and Zero fighting himself at the end of Zero 3 might just be the best bossfight ever in a Mega Man game.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

Also, Zero doesn't fight X in the Zero games, he fights a clone. Though if the real X had become evil and he had to fight and kill him, that would have been ballsy as hell and I would have given them major props for that.
I heard Inafune wanted to do that but X6.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

MvC3 isn't cannon and vs games never are, but I do really like that it says that Mega Man Zero is an alternate timeline.
Why should it do that? They more-or-less rebooted it anyway by giving Zero amnesia, telling us over the course of the games "the Maverick Wars ended" and nothing more, and even establishing its own backstory that's completely seperate from the X games (the Elf Wars).

There's a century between AND a giant war. It could not be more separate.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Oh no not my precious Mega Man story

I think a Mega Man movie by Boll would be hilarious, just like watching Blood Rayne drunk had me and my friend laughing our asses off constantly.

I also don't think that an X9 is in any way needed, story-wise. As I said before, the Zero games are perfectly standing alone because they ditched the backstory from the X games almost completely and made up their own, meaning that every X6 fuckery can be completely ignored. X8, on the other had, was made with the Zero games in mind, and X's vision of Neo Arcadia at the end ties them neatly together. Plot fixed, damage undone, X6 can go gently caress itself, I'm happy.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Orcasword posted:

Hahahah. I kept saying this every time a new MMX or MMZero sequel was announced. X7 comes out: Oh boy, this will tie things up nicely! Nothing. X8 comes out: Oh boy, this will REALLY be the one to tie things up nicely! Nope. MegaMan Zero 3: Maybe this one? Nope, just more confusion. ZERO 4? PLEASE CAPCOM PLEASE?: Hahah, gently caress you.
What better end than Zero's dead, but the big bad guy too and now everything is cool would you have wished for?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Hey, Battle Networks battle system, battles, and upgrade systems are loving awesome!

Yeah, everything else about it is pretty terrible but the battle system is the best battle system I ever played. I'm on the fence on whether they're good games.
They're good enough to be fun (at least those that are NOT 4) for me, and those makes them good games in my book. And you're right about the battle system, it is such a good idea.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Spiffo posted:

One of my favorite bits of the X series is level Sigma-1 in Megaman X5. Yesssss Quick Man Lasers, topped off with the return of a Devil-type enemy complete with remixed music of the original Yellow Devil fight theme HELL YEAH
You LIKED that? I always think Capcom was loving insane for stuffing two things almost every player from back then loathed into a single level and going all "it's a throwback GET IT :downs:" on us. I loving hate that stage, it's my least favourite stage of all X games and that INCLUDES loving Blaze Heatnix! That one you can at least break all the way through!

About Battle Network, I had never heard of the series before Epee Em started his LP of it, but it's really good and if you're remotely interested you should check it out. Having read halfway I caved in and played through every entry except for 4 (which is the worst Mega Man game I ever played) and 5...which came in the mail today :woop:.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

fivegears4reverse posted:

At the same time, that's not what these games were really known for. It's fun to speculate and think about all these stuff that can be inferred from the rather thin in-game stories, but they'd have to make a serious effort to turn that poo poo into anything but 'annoying crap that gets in the way of my kicking some robot rear end', and that's effort the fanbase would mostly NOT be receptive to.
I really liked MMZero's stories. They seemed the right combination of epic (in the right sense of the word) and not totally stupid (like X5). One could argue that there were too many unskippable words, but eh, I don't mind that too much.

I never was interested in MMUniverse at all, so eh. Get Inti to stop releasing poo poo and work on more Mega Man games, I say; those guys obviously know what they're doing, which is a feeling I lastly got from Capcom with X2.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

AzraelNewtype posted:

The time limit is not at all important or strict. In fact, if you want to get eight powerups, you actually have to intentionally burn time to boost the maverick level, otherwise you'll basically never see either of Grizzly Slash's items, and probably not Duff McWhalen's either.
If you're always doing it in the same order :>. In case you don't want to constantly suicide, I'd say take Dark Dizzy first because both his upgrades are useless, then look for another Maverick who's upgrades you don't want, needn't ever game over.

Doesn't change the fact that X5 is a game with a deeply flawed basic concept. I was just thinking this day about how much the game betrays the core gameplay elements that were always great. Like the concept of CHOICE. Having those eight Robot Masters (or Mavericks) to select makes it so the replay value is great, because every playthrough, you can take a different path, try different weapons in different stages, challenge yourself with the harder ones etc. ...X5 throws this concept completely out of the window. It basically tells you to look at the left 4 first (you don't have to, but story-wise it would make no sense to take a right one), then laughs at you when you take the easiest because it denies you the best upgrades.
Meaning that you choice is basically between having the route you want or having the upgrades you want (or killing yourself lots), which is completely at odds with giving you eight stages to choose from in the first place! The time limit furthers the break with the classic setup, because it's no longer feasible to try out one stage, fail, try the next, fail, try the third and finally succeed, then see where you can use the weapon you got...after enough failures, you're never going to get the good ending no matter what so gently caress you for being bad at our game? What the hell?

Having practically all the weapons suck rear end doesn't help either.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

There are a few good ones, though.

Rockman: Deus ex Machina is a supposedly good one of MM2; and I've played Rockman 2000 (of the first game) myself, it's superb and far surpasses the original.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

quakster posted:

And I liked MM2GB more than 7. 2 and 3 are flawed but people have good reasons for liking them.
MMII (GB) has such lovely music and the engine is also quite bad, gah. Though more power to you if you like it, there's no accounting for taste.

I really like III, though; it's balls-hard, maybe THE hardest classic Mega Man game (discounting some bullshit from 1 and 2 and gently caress MM&Bass), but you have to admire the deviousness it has; rarely it's just "small jumps over spikes, go!" but things like enemy placement and environment design that show the THOUGHT they put into the game.

And IV is sooo good. drat, if that were an NES game, it would be lots of people's favourite, I'm sure of it.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Skychrono posted:

If I ever find a way to play it I'm sure I'll agree with you. Is that the one with the planets? I always wanted that...
V is the one with the planets. IV is the mix of 4 and 5's robot masters. It's still glorious and in my opinion better than V, even if V gets mad props for being innovative.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

MM&Bass is the worst loving poo poo, God drat it that game sucks even more than X6 does and that's pretty hard to do. I don't know how far better the SNES original would be, but I only played the GBA version and the difficulty is all bullshit, all the time. If I ever get to LP this one, there's bound to be much cursing.

And I like your opinions. 8 is a fine game, there's nothing plain WRONG with it, and 7 is really good, too. I hear a lot of people complain about sprite size and whatnot, but I...don't get this, honestly. Also with the Zero series, those games are the bomb.

And 2 really isn't as good as it's made out to be. I think "yeah but Buebeam Trap" should be enough to make anybody shut up...oh wait it's fanboys we're talking about.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Edge Zero posted:

SNES version is a lot more playable than the GBA version. Since the resolution on the GBA is lower they just zoomed in the screen, which means you get a ton of blind jumps in the game that weren't originally there.
Yeah, this is glaringly obvious. Still, a lot of stuff in the game is bullshit no matter what size the screen is. Fall-through floors in Burner Man's level, the later part pretty much demanding perfection, else instakill fire. The trains in Magic Man's level are surely hell on the SNES too, they just become loving impossible on the GBA. And the rising tiles in Astro Man can go gently caress themselves, too.

quote:

Also sometimes it feels like it was just gonna be a Bass game originally and Megaman was added as an afterthought, considering how many areas seem to be based around Bass' abilities to do everything.
I dunno, I never played as Bass more than two levels; I can't stand the guy, give me my buster dammit. Didn't miss him much, I'm used to Mega being him.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Spiffo posted:

X6 hate
First of all, X6 is a very, very bad game. The examples you listed are just the tip of the iceberg - just being forced to game over countless times when you go to the wrong parts of a stage (or just wrong stage, see Blaze Heatnix) with the wrong parts equipped is bullshit of purest caliber.

HOWEVER, there are parts of the game where X6 still is a Mega Man game. It's very, very hard to ruin the basic formula, because run&gun&jump has always worked and will always work. That is why they could release the same core game for decades and still make money.

Meaning that there are parts in X6 where I had pure, unadulterated FUN playing it. The first part of Gate's second stage comes to mind. Yeah, I know that the jump in the latter part is stupid as hell, but the totem pole area at the start is great. There are tons of bullets flying around, enemies coming from everywhere...but the difficulty, while almost impossibly high, is still FAIR. This kind of level design is exactly what I want to see in a game that wants to be the hardest X game, and sometimes, rarely, X6 succeeds. And if a game is fun at places, if I can have some satisfaction at parts, it was worth playing.

MM&Bass however, is NEVER fun. The difficulty is always unfair, period, it's never challenging, it's always bullshit. Whenever there's a really difficult part coming up, it's either make it through perfectly or insta-death, sucker. See, there were tons of spikes in Gate's second stage, but you didn't have to dance over them constantly!

This is why I'd pick X6 over MM&Bass every time. Other point: X6's worst moments can be broken by knowing what to do. No matter of tricks, however, will help you in Tengu Man's balloon jumping segment, on the trains in Magic Man's stage etc. pp.
There's no charged Metal Anchor is what I'm saying.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

quote:

"Originality -- Cannot be copied by others"
Yeah, the only thing Inafune ever did was copy HIMSELF :D.

And what the gently caress is Clockland Rescue?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Schmendrick posted:

You do know if you lacked the right parts for the Shadow Armor, you cannot beat Gate's second stage, right? That sure is great game design there. I won't argue about MM&B because every version of that game sucked.
That's kinda what I was talking about with "that stupid as hell jump" and "the wrong parts equipped", yeah. The game design is absolutely horrid at parts, that still doesn't prevent the game from being fun sometimes, which is the main point I'm trying to make; MM&B just never is.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I disagree on the charge. There were always enemies before who could soak up tons of hits. Big Eyes, Walkers, Hoppers in MM1-3; less obviously tanky enemies, the Picket Men in Guts Man's stage, singular Sniper Joes, Hammer Joes. They took a lot of bullets to take out, but if you could rapid-fire, that wasn't a problem.

Thing is, if you've got enemies now that still soak up a lot of hits...which you can always still rapid-fire on...but add a buster, that doesn't change much. I've watched a lot of speedruns, and the buster is rarely used. Even in Mega Man 5, the special weapons see a lot of usage, because having one like Napalm Bomb that is rapid-fire and deals on average twice the damage of a single buster shot will always be more efficient than waiting for the buster to charge up to do thrice the damage; because by then, you'll have like 8 Napalm Bombs pumped into the fucker and he's definitely dead.

Charging up limits your playing and the flow of a stage; if you use weapons or your trigger finger smartly, you can get by every obstacle without using the charge; there might well be exceptions to this, but I just want to stress the point that there is no "hard charge requirement" on the games that has it.
Conversely, having the charge around is great for inexperienced players. A weapon that is well capable of taking out a boss any time soon without having to REALLY invest time into learning how to dodge his every attack because he'll take 28 full shots and no less is a great boon to first-timers. It makes the game easier, yes, but I don't think it's a bad thing; the first three always suffer in my opinion from accessability...playing MM2 for example is no problem if you know what you're doing. Big emphasis on the last part. It's blatantly unfair to beginners.

So no, charge doesn't make bad games. Lazy level design makes bad games.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Zero 2, definitely.

MM2 isn't really a good game. Still far too many flaws. I don't fault anyone for liking it, of course; nostalgia is powerful. I don't have it, so I just like the game most I think was designed best and I love to play.

MMX2 is, in my opinion, also better than X1.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

I do agree that MMX is basically perfect, though. Some stuff in 2 was a pain in the dick, but it was a good game, however I think X1 was better quality-wise.
I'd like to know specific examples. X2, in my opinion, is superior to X1 in every which way, except maybe for it being more difficult, which is not really an indicator of more badness.

Also, whoever said that X6 was pretty cool albeit being difficult is insane. It's not cool in the slightest. The difficulty is not the problem. It being bullshit most of the time is. Zero 2 is the best game, please tell me why you don't think that way.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Eh, not a huge X3 fan. The fact that there are roughly five different enemies and they respawn when you're about 3/4 of a screen away makes it a drag. Also a lot of the boss patterns are really terrible. long, and repeditive (looking at you, toxic seahorse).
Also, terribly uninteresting weapons, stretches in levels that are just empty (suggesting...well, bad level design, though I most of the time hesistate to just judge stuff I don't understand well), nothing at all improved over X2...whereas X2 improved over X1 in a lot of instances, mostly "more content", because gameplay-wise, as was said, X1 was pretty much perfect...

Yeah, in my opinion, X3 isn't much fun at all.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

X-Hunters are really flawed, but most in that you can permanently miss them if you just happen to do the wrong order...and get unlucky; the fight themselves, well, if you feel that you can't deal with them, they're optional, so what.
In their own stages, Violen I agree on being bullshit, but I hate Bospider much more; Serges is a nice and interesting challenge and Agile is just a joke.

On X3 and special weapons...that was just one of my gripes with the game; if you haven't yet, watch Violen's no dash minimalist speedruns; link is to the first video of X3. He pretty much explains my problems with the game to full detail, better than I could with a wall of text here. And he obviously only uses the buster, too. I love the buster, but also like using special weapons to the best of their abilites, last point alone kills my interest in X3 because most of them are just "shoot forward and deals damage".

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

At least we have a justifiable reason to hate the BN series
Which'd be? Apart from 1's flaws that weren't ironed out yet and 4 being complete and utter poo poo, the series is quite enjoyable. If it weren't named Mega Man and everyone could go "oh no an RPG Mega Man this sucks", it would be the best thing ever. Most fun combat system I've ever encountered, and one of the only RPGs that make every single random encounter relevant by having the change to give chips or more money depending on how well you do.

And I think people who only use the buster are doing it wrong :colbert:.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

What exactly makes you think that 4 is a "great game" :psyduck:?

I mean, I can understand if people like, say, X6 more than it has any right to be liked - I am one of those, enjoy playing it even if it's just poo poo. But I'd never call it a "great game", because it isn't. It's full of atrocious design decisions, has a great number of terribly unfun parts, was obviously thrown together without care...

...still, it's fun sometimes. BN4 isn't, it never is.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Momomo posted:

Care to name them? Having to play the game three times was dumb as hell, but at least your playthroughs were mostly different.
Gladly. I've got a lot of issues with the game.
- Soul system. A definite downgrade for me from the form system of the two predecessors, as the Add button got lost and therefor a lot of combo options. Many of the souls were quite useless or required chips you'd normally not put into a folder, essentially decreasing the number of good chips. Because of the way soul unison works, with counter-attacks, a reliable way to farm BugFrags got lost, making them so sparse that I now hate BugFrag traders with a passion; later games especially still suffer from that. The Form system was also great, because it gave each random virus battle all the more significance, as even the lowliest of Met fight still gave you one more counter on the Form level, even if you knew that you had all chips and wouldn't get much money. AND you could counter them for BugFrags!

- Dark Chips. They're completely loving pointless. I wanted to do a dark run so badly, I thought this was the only entertainment I could glean from the game, but even when you're fully dark, fighting fights without them would soon get you lighter again. You'd have to constantly lower your HP maximum just to stay dark, which is stupid and not an option at all, making all dark-only tactics unusable.

- Virus selection. BN4 has without a doubt on my mind the most annoying viruses of the whole series, from the start. Melody viruses. The loving sheeps. The invincible statues. Great hassles to fight in normal encounters, not that hard but surpremely annoying to take out, making just going through the internet a slog.

- Going through the web! Countless times! Every single scenario, because of the modular nature, has to take place in a corner of the web you already visited and will visit again. There will always be the same annoying virus fights AGAIN on the way, and you know it's going to be for three more times at least. If you for some reason play through it again, please count how often the game asks you to go to Park Area 3. It's at least 5 times.

- Numerous little details. Glaringly obvious typos. Frustratingly stupid but mandatory minigames (that exploding football game is the equivalent of throwing a coin four times and hope for three heads, one tail). A story that even for Mega Man standards is BALLS. And a bug that could make your game not work again, ever, if you decided to trade with a friend early.

I'm sure I forgot something, but it's lunch time.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Momomo posted:

Don't have much to say, other than I didn't find the flaws big enough to hamper my opinion of it. I haven't played the game in a while (Can't play it on a DS because of faulty animation :v:) so it's not exactly fresh in my mind.

Never heard about that bug though, what is that about?
It was mentioned in the linked LP; apparently if you have a game that hasn't gotten all souls yet and try to trade chips with the opposite version that does, the game just kinda explodes and will never work again.

quote:

(Also, complaining about the story? It's a Megaman game.)
One small detail, not a large gripe or something. It adds up.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I know that's not going to stop you buying this, but I really don't think that so much people should actually fall for this poo poo. I mean, the company is basically blackmailing you to buy money so you may spend more money later. Regardless of if this game is going to poop rainbows, that's still one of the worst stints I've ever seen a video game company pull, and you should be OUTRAGED instead of "welp, let's help the case then".

If they've already got a playable demo, I don't think they would ever cancel the game now. They spent tons of money on it already. If they DO cancel it, however, then I'd have one more argument for Capcom being the most retarded company ever to miraculously have far more money than they should (because of people who basically give them money just when they say "do it"). The list is long enough already, but eh, I love being right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Screaming Idiot posted:

I can't think of a Megaman game with bad music. Some of the games had unremarkable music, but it wasn't out-and-out bad. I think Command Mission had a bunch of grating tracks, and Megaman and Bass had some crappy themes too. Beyond that, I can't think of anything bad.
BN4's music was poo poo. The only good track I can think of is the boss music, and it's so far better remixed as the theme of the last regular dungeons in BN5 (the Dark Chip factory ones), it's not even funny.

And MMII on the Game Boy had quite absurdly bad music. Youtube this poo poo, but only if you don't value your ears.

My personal favourite game in the series ever has to be Zero 2. The level design, in my opinion, is far superiour to 3's; the latter has a few stages that are just "eh", like Childre's or especially Volteel's, and most of the minibosses are tedious and unfun.