Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I was excited for the X figure, and went ahead and pledged the tier for it since I have money to burn. But that....is not a very good Kickstarter, and their tiers are kind of wonky. Not feeling all that good about it's chances for success given their presentation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Because there is this enduring idea that if Capcom just gave the Blue Bomber a chance he'd sell when they tried for 20 years and he never did.

I mean I like the games too but treating Capcom like the devil for giving up on a series that wasn't selling and was quite literally kept alive by one guy is silly.

This is pretty much right. MM never sold well enough to warrant Capcom giving much of a gently caress. The last game to make it into even Capcom's top 50 selling games was Battle Network 4. The only other one to make into into that was MM 2. They were never high selling games, and Capcom is completely right to drop the franchise and maybe pump out some crappy tie in every once in a while that people will still buy, while coasting on the franchises that actually sell (RE games blows MM out of the water in sales figures, even the lovely ones).

I'll just keep playing the ones I actually like, and not really care one way or the other if Capcom decides to drag the dessicated corpse of the franchise out for some iOS shitfest now and then.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

It sucks that we'll probably never get another 'real' MM game, but I think a big problem is the fanbase thinks it's a lot bigger than it is. Companies have long since learned that the number of fans saying they want a game does not equal the same number of sales, so a new MM game that actually has some production value isn't in Capcom's best interests from the start. The most up to date sales figures are well past the release dates of MM9 and 10, and they don't even make it onto the bottom. So the new things they try don't sell, the callbacks to the older stuff don't sell. What are they supposed to do?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Ziddar posted:

Just to drive this point home more, I believe that the first New Super Mario Bros. has sold more than literally every single Mega Man game combined. Granted, NSMB is one of the highest selling games ever, but the dozens of Mega Man games don't even add up to that. It simply was never a high seller.

Capcom's own listing has the MM franchise as a whole at 131 titles, with 30,000 unit sales (30,000,000 individual copies). Just for comparison within the company itself, Street Fighter is at 80 titles/36,000 units and Resident Evil is at 92 titles/62,000 units.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Capcom always had a pretty good idea of how much a MM game would sell after the first few games. The team pretty much had to beg to be allowed to make 2 since 1 sold like rear end, so it didn't have the strongest start, but it got into a good groove after that. Part of the reason that the games, especially the more popular ones, can still bring in pretty good money on the used market is because they didn't have all that big print runs (still pretty big compared to some games, though), once they gathered the general level of sales. So it was feasible to turn a profit on them.

These days, that just doesn't cut it, and Capcom would be putting far more money into a game then they'd get out, even for something that seems about as easy as the older games to make. The only number I can find for MM9 is about 100k digital copies within the first week which is...not an astounding amount these days.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Butt Ghost posted:

The NES wasn't the most widely own console because, while it was big, it was popular mostly among kinds and nerds. The PS2 is the best selling console of all time, and, well, I think they still sell it in places like Brazil.

NES also was not cheap when it came out. About $200-$300, which was pretty expensive at the time for a toy.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Butt Ghost posted:

I think games were also around $70, or at least the equivalent to that after inflation or whatever.

Games were hella pricey back in the day. I bought Super Mario RPG and Secret of Mana for $70 a piece, which calculating for inflation is about equivalent to $100.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I'm going to guess negotiations = "Give us a portion of the sales, and we won't take this to court."

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Didn't even bother trying to read the article, because the translation was pretty rough.

I'll honestly be pretty surprised if Capcom doesn't do something at some point. I've been expecting it to happen round about the time the game comes out. Because they are on a very thin line there, especially with posting that concept art that included stuff that was pretty much "Hey look we did some MM fanart".

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Capcom isn't going to try anything extremely new like that. They already have with the Legends games, Battle Network/Star Force, and Command Mission. Those didn't sell either. The most they're going to do is "MM game.....but on iOS" like Xover, or the ports of the console games (there are quite a few Japan only ports in that arena). Or cheap, fast tie ins.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Making a new MM game in the style people want is not going to ever turn a decent profit, unless it suddenly sees a surge in sales. Even Classic style titles are not as cheap to make as they used to be, and for them to see as much of a profit as they can get, they also need to spread it to as many systems as they can to maximize profit, but which also adds to costs. If MN9 does well, they might consider it, but right now? No way.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

It's looking like the X figure Kickstarter is going to make it in the home stretch. Hoping it turns out a good quality, since I'm shelling out for both colors.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Maverick Hunter looked like a fun enough FPS game, but it didn't look or feel like a Mega Man game. I get the whole reimagining thing, but if you showed me the art or the video, and didn't tell me it was MM related, I would have no idea.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I think it would have been maybe interesting (maybe), but slapping the MM name on it just seemed.....dumb. You don't need to reach to 'gritty reboot' levels to find mature themes and whatnot in the X series. The plot has always been pretty stupid in those games, but there were some glimmers of interesting ideas. Take some of the things that get touched on but never really expanded on, and work with those. Also, lol, the proposed trilogy thing with Zero having to take down X in the third game. MMX had already become the Zero Power Hour from about X4 on. We didn't need more "Zero is the most awesomest, bestest character ever."

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I think I'm one of like...the three people, tops, out there who actually likes X7. Granted, I also find X2 and 3 pretty overrated, so I am just overall Terrible Opinions MM Fan.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I still can't believe they made and published a Mega Man X game that requires you to beat half of the bosses in order to unlock Mega Man X himself.

Just...... WHY!? Why did they think this was a good idea? Ever? :psyduck:

It's not required to beat the bosses. The two ways are beat all 8 bosses or rescue 64 Reploids. You can just suicide out of a level after rescuing the Reploids in it.

Not that either is a good idea on Capcom's part.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

gently caress, I completely missed the boat on this. Is there any chance they'll make more figures and sell them openly to people who didn't back the project?

The blue version shown as the header image will be available for sale to anyone at MSRP $80. The gray version is Kickstarter exclusive.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I could swear I saw somewhere where they said the next thing they have planned is an accurately scaled for the X figure Ride Chaser before any other full on character figures, but now I can't find it anywhere.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Yeah, I agree on the easier to stand thing, but the wheels are worth it just for the people complaining about how it is "Obviously not a Ride Chaser because" in the comments.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I want them to go full on insane with the figures and make something like Godkarmachine O Inary, and retail it for $100+.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I think X6 had some interesting things about it, mostly Gate (would have been more so if they hadn't pulled the switcheroo with Sigma there at the end) and the Nightmare stuff. But it is seriously not fun to play at all. Like I said earlier, I actually like X7, so that is...pretty bad.

ETA: Also, I like the Xtreme games. They're not as good as the console versions, but completely playable and were good for the time as portable X games.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I could not roll my eyes harder at Inafune if I tried. He really rode that "Father of MM" train as hard as he could. He was not nearly that involved (and also the whole "Didn't create Rock or X" thing) with anything from the parts of the series that everyone actually seems to like, and took away a lot of the credit from the people who actually made the games what they are.

I might also have an intense dislike of Zero.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It also contains demakes of a lot of MN9 content and it's crazy how much better it is than the real thing despite not being all that different.

This is why I will argue to my dying day that MM as a whole was good in spite of Inafune, not because of him. Inti Creates had made good MM games before, and then made their own take with Gunvolt which was also good. And even them being involved couldn't salvage MN9.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Squiddycat posted:

do you think the mn9 cartoon is ever gonna come out

Did they even ever release the 3DS and Vita ports?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

As for the cartoon, why bother anymore at this point when Mega Man: Fully Charged managed to drop well before (if it ever even makes it out of development hell), and was probably better than the MN9 one would have ended up?

As much as people bitched (on Reddit, at least) about Fully Charged's story changed and art style, what little I watched with my son, it wasn't awful. Actually had some legitimately funny gags at times.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The thing that gets me about that scene with Colonel is Zero is the one with a big rivalry with Colonel. And yet...X is the one who gets a boss fight there, and Zero just gets a cutscene? It's not like they couldn't have just had him...you know...not blow up after it.

Granted, this was the real start of the Zero Power Hour, so of course he gets the Super Cool cutscene.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Shindragon posted:

I don’t really like MHX retcon that Reploids can go Maverick at will

That had always been the case, and wasn't a retcon to MHX. Maverick was a term for any Reploid that was considered a threat to humanity, with the earliest, pre-Zero being because of flawed programming. But it was also applied to those infected, and those who for whatever reason chose their path. Like Repliforce. It's a fair bet most of them weren't infected, but they were still labeled Mavericks for political reasons.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I mean I was under the impression that Lumina and the new generation reploids were “immune” to the virus because they already had it. That having Sigma’s dna made them strong at first but gradually drove them insane. Maybe I just made that up, but Lumina seems pretty nuts at the end of that game!

Lumine is batshit bonkers, and I would take absolutely nothing he says at face value.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The plot of MMX, while having interesting aspects, is dumb as hell in general. According to X1 it had only been months since X was found, before the start of the game. In that time, Dr. Cain not only figured him out, but developed Reploids, had them go into production fast enough to have the Maverick crisis enough to require the Maverick Hunters, developed Sigma as a bad rear end "unable to go Maverick" fighter, and Sigma found Zero.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

this is because they're all games for children

Well....yeah. But there are some in the fandom (not suggesting anyone here) who take it SUPER SERIOUS.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

OneMoreTime posted:

I don't remember what happens in ZX but I just sort of assume it's like Z except you are now a human and you can merge with robot souls or something.

Humanoid in ZX, either Reploid or Humanoid in ZXA depending on playable character chosen. I say humanoid, because that's the actual thing. Humans are required to have mechanical parts, and Reploids are required to have a lifespan, and really the only way to easily tell them apart anymore is Reploids have an upside down red triangle on their foreheads.

Reploid souls, because X and Zero, and the Four Guardians are still kicking that way. Oh, and human ones too. Because why not? And maybe Omega, depending on how you want to interpret Model O.

ZX is as batshit as the rest.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Shindragon posted:

Pretty much yeah. Wily never did think ahead other than built evil robots. Any failsafe? Nah.

It's really even better than that, if The Power Fighters is canon. Wily developed a special power source that he eventually uses for Forte, that is like...super duper powerful or whatever. So, he's got one robot that is constantly toeing the line, disobeying him, and who seems to basically have the default opinion of "gently caress Wily". He looks at all that and goes "I think I'm going to improve on this power source", and tosses it into Zero. Who then also is a raging disobedient jackass. With the added bonus of not even having his poo poo together as much as Forte, and just constantly being all berserker rage.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Sigma is pretty much Patient Zero for the form of the Virus we see most in the series. He got it from Zero, but it mutated somehow in the process of infecting him. He held it together for some time after getting infected, but the effects of the particular form of it he then carried seem to be lowering inhibitions, and developing or worsening misanthropic viewpoints. Other forms seem to be Robo Rabies, and just make them batshit bonkers violent.

It's hard to tell who has what (there's like four versions floating around), how they felt before they had it, etc. Sigma most likely had some "humans are inferior" views before he ever got infected. He was created to be the ultimate Maverick Hunter, after all. It would not be a far leap from that to thinking himself above most other Reploids, and all humans.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

ChaosArgate posted:

The real tragedy of MHX and PU are that they were released before anyone gave a drat about the PSP.

I think another issue was just how easy it was to mod and pirate for the PSP.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

My "it's never going to happen" dream is the Z/ZX collection sells well, and we finally, finally get the follow up to that cliffhanger ending.

ETA:

quote:

every update it looks better, and every update I hope capcom pulls a sonic mania with it and doesn't just kill it, but even if they do there's test copies he's sent out that'd likely get out there anyways.

Capcom is one of the friendlier companies out there when it comes to fanworks. Considering they've already basically "pulled a Sonic Mania", with Street Fighter X Mega Man.

AngryRobotsInc fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Aug 27, 2019

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

That bust is actually pretty baller looking. I might actually preorder to get it, if it comes with the US release. It can go on my shelf of other expensive poo poo I bought because it looked awesome (right next to the con exclusive color of that Kickstarter X figure).

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

JustJeff88 posted:

I know that MM11 was a solid critical success, but how did it do in terms of sales? I hate to say it, but that is really the only thing that counts if we want to see MM12 or X10 or Zero 5 or whatever. Rayman Origins was great and Legends was even better, but they didn't meet Ubisoft's (probably totally unrealistic) sales goals, so that's it for that for at least 10 years.

As of this February, it sold about 870,000 copies worldwide, which is really good for MM. Capcom is generally pretty upfront with their sales figures.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

That's honestly not a bad price for a six record decorative set, to the point I'm actually now considering it. I've seen smaller two record sets go for not much less than that.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

He probably dimension hops to hang out with tropical shirt Dr. Light from BN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I mean, I know it's supposed to obviously be MMX influenced, but...man....some of those enemies I'm pretty sure are just straight lifted with some slight changes.