Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Imagine Platinum making a MonHun. No decade-old bad-game-design bullshit, even tighter controls... It'd feel different, to be sure, but I think it could be really loving great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

jivjov posted:

Man, I'm really sad that her site isn't updated nearly as often as it used to be. I mean, most of that is due to there not being as many Mega Man releases as there used to be...but still. I still have a HUGE soft spot for her Mega Man fanfiction series.

Yeah same.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I can't bring myself to play 6 knowing how much content was cut from it for the US release. I don't think I'll be getting the VC versions of 4 or 5 either, because no link feature means no 100% completion. If they put the DS version of 5 up, and let you fake putting in 5GBA/Boktai carts, then I'd be interested, but as it stands the games are incomplete.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

ChaosArgate posted:

Please go play 6, it it legitimately the best game of the franchise. If the cut content's really going to eat away at you, then you may want to look into this.

http://www.therockmanexezone.com/general/2013/07/26/exe-6-boktai-sidequest-now-translated/

Well then, you may have just changed my life.

I never played BN2, so that's also something to look forward to.

EDIT: This patch only translates the sidequest in the JPN version of the game, it doesn't restore all the content to the actual english-language version, nor does it import the english localization to the JPN ROM. What a pain.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 3, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Petiso posted:

You aren't missing THAT much, really, the only new boss in BN4 and BN5 postgames was Bass, so western BN6 doesn't really deviate too much from the new formula.

And as people told you, BN6 is still lots of fun and you should totally play it, as well as BN2.

There are whole chips and program advances stripped from the actual gameplay of BN6-EN compared to the JPN version. Until someone restores that I don't think I'll be happy. I'm a huge Boktai fan.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Mr. Maltose posted:

They ended up making sunlight less necessary in Boktai 2, but no one played Boktai 2.

I played Boktai 2, dammit! With actual sunlight! I even used the GBA slot options in Lunar Knights!

That's also why I never played Boktai 3 - and never will, until someone manages to get a fan-translated ROM onto a Solar Sensor cart.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Great Joe posted:

The Boktai cart assumed you were playing the game on an original GBA or a Micro. It sucked if you were using anything else.

Nonsense, that's what the screen hinge is for!

Mr. Maltose posted:

Boktai 2 was great and it's great that other people agree. Strategically plan lunch around maximal forging power.

Aww yeah :sun::respek::sun:

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Aug 4, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Kelp Plankton posted:

can't wait to play this new game on my Ultra 64

It's obviously in the style of 90s games magazines.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Stink Terios posted:

e: Meanwhile, wonderful, wonderful things are happening at the MMBN3 LP thread.

HOLY poo poo

HOLY poo poo, THIS IS THE PRO-EST CLICK

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

I sincerely challenge the notion that the charge shot is always better than pellets. The most obvious downside of charging is that it takes time, and that is something you don't always have. Enemies that only take 1 hit to kill but are numerous and/or move quickly are the prime example of where charging up is a bad idea, you will get swarmed while charging up and even the promise of cutting through more than one enemy doesn't really help. I've seen multiple speedruns where charge is not used at all to deal with huge enemies, because things without invincibility frames will inevitably die quicker to pellets than to two charge shots, even with a mediocre trigger finger.

Charge shot usually does three damage. If enemies have four shots worth of health, the best way to deal with them is one charge, one normal shot. A lot of enemies from MM4 onwards have 4 health.

Charge adds gameplay flow. You can pre-charge on a pure platforming stretch to be ready for enemies coming up, which you can then cut through with one blast and keep going. You can have a charge ready for the aforementioned 4-health fattie, unload, shoot once again and go on with your life.

Especially the enemy-based arguments mean that yes, you have to design the game around the charge. But it's not like this is impossible or makes the game worse somehow. I would argue that MM1-3 and MM4-6 really are not that obviously different in enemy setups, designs and positions just because there is a charge now suddenly.

On special weapons: the biggest issue is the switching time. Otherwise, even in MM5, there is a weapon that is superiour to the charge in pretty much every situation. Sometimes just with the same argument for buster spamming: big enemies with like 8 health die very quickly to rapid-fire Napalm Bombs, for instance, something neither pellets nor charge can provide. It's, again, an efficiency thing. Also, buster shoots only forwards. It can't pierce shields. It doesn't home. Weapons have plenty of potential to be equally good as the buster, charged or not, but I fully agree that going into the menu to switch is cumbersome and should be abolished in favor of a quick-select. Even cycling through is too annoying. MMZero had the right idea by drastically reducing the number of weapons and making two available at the same time.

Modern controllers offer aditional options. The right stick, for instance, could control a radial weapons menu without interrupting gameplay.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

JustJeff88 posted:

Potentially reposting something that's been done to death, but this thread is old and huge and I've only begun to read through it:

Firstly, I've found thanks to this thread and a healthy dose of dumb luck numerous fan-made retro 8-bit Mega Man games, amongst them being Rockman 7 and 8, Street Fighter, Rock Force and Unlimited. Any other suggestions, freeware or just cheap? I just finished another playthrough of Mega Man 1-7 (still haven't played 8 from the PSX) and I'm always looking for more.

Secondly, does anyone have or know where to get the NES-style remake of those crappy Mega Man games that came out on DOS ages ago? Someone did a nice-looking remake with all of the original bosses and everything intact, but I can't find anywhere to download these games. There's a link from the author to his dropbox, but the file is no longer there. I tried to play the DOS games but couldn't stand the horrid controls and appalling animation, but those remakes look very nice and I'd love to try them if they are still out there.

Rockman 4 Minus Infinith is the Best Mega Man Game.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Level Slide posted:

When the flavor text says Beck has a heart, was that in the metaphorical sense or does he have a literal, beating human heart? Presumably the same one as his professor's deceased child.

And underneath my cold metal shell, I've got the heart of a human! /bender

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

nexas posted:

Just in case no one noticed, Mega Man 2.D ver 4 is out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Gr8mXciVyg

Man, it looks cool, but there's no way it plays as well as Minus Infinity.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I don't see a Wii U :colbert:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

DisposableHero posted:

Well you see this is the retro gaming room. The Wii U (and other current consoles) are in the main entertainment center!

you can live

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

JustJeff88 posted:

Took me weeks and weeks, but I finally finished reading this thread up to the present.

I finally finished Mega Man 10 on Hard, with Bass (I did normal with MM himself and easy with Protoman), and I realised a certain aspect of most Mega Man games that is total bollocks: not being able to save between stages in Wily's Fortress. I am not the type who likes to play hours and hours on end, and Wily 2 of MM10 on Hard is a beast. I wanted to stop and come back another time, but I can't without having to restart everything. I think that it's silly that one can go to the shop to buy more E-Tanks and Spike Guards between continues, but gently caress you if you don't want to finish every Wily stage in one sitting. That happens in a lot of MM games, and I really hate it. It makes much more sense to allow the player to save between stages with his remaining resources and not be able to pop over to the 7-11 for health refill tanks and a Mars bar.

Speaking of MM10, apparently MM 9 and 10 are no longer available on PSP... they were as of just a few weeks ago. As the PSP is the only portable system that offered them, I'm really rather upset. I would have bought them sooner had I know that they were going to pull them, but now it is too late. Hopefully they will come to the 3DS eShop, but I'm not holding my breath.

MM9 and MM10 were on PSP? For real?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

That's pretty classy actually.

It's rad as hell!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

minus infinity is the only good fangame

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Steve Blum does a really great, slimy Starscream.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Light Gun Man posted:

Where are the cancelled GBA versions of the Game Boy games, Capcom?

they were cancelled cause they lost the source code to the GB games

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

OOOOooOOOooOOOoo, I am the Spirit Of Bad Designs Past, here to haunt yoooOOoooOOoou!

is that a vervoid?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

So apparently full, barely-altered NES ROMs of MM1-MM6 are in the source code of the Legacy Collection.

What's going on with that, I wonder.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

JustJeff88 posted:

It still looks good, though. The lack of controller support seems really stupid to me; I've played other fan games that were the same. Is it hard to implement or is it a simple case of CBA? (can't be arsed)

Lots of game building toolsets, especially older ones, have no or very little support for gamepads, especially modern xinput/dinput ones, and hardcoding that support is a pain in the rear end when it's even possible.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Those figures are from Sentinel, who from an engineering standpoint are some of the best in the biz.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

voltcatfish posted:

Okay wait, I bought both since I hadn't gotten around to even buying Legends 1 yet -- How do you play the first game on the Vita with the lack of enough shoulder buttons?

I was hoping lockon would bind to the stick at least, but it doesn't seem to have.

You can massively remap buttons in the emulation layer but L2 and R2 are most easily mapped to the touch screen or rear touchpad.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I loved the idea, and the visceral satisfaction, of the Zero Knuckle in MMZ4, but it was almost never actually useful because:

1) Most of the items had limited durability AND less utility than the blade or buster

2) Stages and encounters were almost never designed with Enemy Weapons in mind outside of rare and somewhat obtuse puzzle/gimmick sections

and most damningly

3) If you ever had to switch to whatever your third, unequipped weapon was, you'd have to abandon your Knuckle Item, and holding onto it was NEVER worth it, AND that meant pausing the game and doing Menus, ruining your flow. Chalk that up to GBA button limitations maybe, but there was almost certainly a better implementation.

In fact, the GBA/DS Castlevanias did a great job of offering "loadouts" as a mitigation against the (ultimately still stifling) menu problems those games had. If I could have configured two (or more!) "loadouts" for Zero and toggled using Select, the entire series would have been considerably improved. I know Top MMZ Players extole the virtues of the Boomerang Shield and the various Rods, but the loss of either my gun or sword and/or repeated slow menuing really wrecked the value proposition.

The ZX games improved on this hugely between the fairly quick Wheel in ZX and the brilliantly customizable touch-screen quickchange in ZXA. I switched forms on the fly all the time in ZXA, but form-based "gimmicks" in level/encounter design never felt laborious or inconvenient because the forms were literally right at my fingertips.

Man, the Zero games would have been so much better on the DS. Wii U and 3DS are the best versions of Shovel Knight, ESPECIALLY for Plague Knight, because of touchscreen relic/ingredients management. Can you imagine seamlessly selecting elemental chips and weapons and poo poo in, like, Zero 2 and the sense of power and systems-mastery that would give you!?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

gamergate/its ancestors pressured comcept into firing the mighty no 9 community manager that helped with the original KS.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Kay Kessler posted:

That may have been to its detriment, though. Cutscenes were unskippable and ridiculously slow. Kinda puts a damper on the gameplay.

yeah making a score-attack/speedrun/perfection-based action game where reloading from a save to retry a stage can take upwards of 5 minutes sitting through cutscenes was

um

bad

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Overcome your loving neuroses for once in your life and enjoy yourself maybe?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Might be a rights thing, since Viz is still reprinting the MMBN manga.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Firstborn posted:

Braid was made for 180k.

The artist was paid in exposure.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Gortarius posted:

One thing this and Megaman games have in common is that the less writing/plot there is, the better it is.

EDIT:

What is wrong with this robot? Could it be...?

What is that robot doing? Could it be that he is...?

Is he resisting the corruption? Could it be that...?

Beck absorbed the robot gunk? Could it be...?

Classic phrase-by-phrase stock translations. Ugh.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Last Celebration posted:

My favorite part about that boss is that it takes no damage from anything but the buster, but there's no visual indication that the boss weapons aren't functioning normally and it just looks like it has an insane amount of health.

WHAT

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

You can always install Dolphin and play the Wii releases of MM9 and MM10 that way, if you need to.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Amppelix posted:

Mega Man Legends is one of those games that I've always though I should get around to at some point, ever since I messed around with it on an emulator like ten years ago. It seemed like it would be right up my alley but I somehow never managed to get into it. Well, now I'm finally doing it, I'm three hours in, and regretting I never played this before because wow it owns.

It looks ridiculously good. Criminally good! These guys really figured out how to make the Playstation output good-looking 3d. There's none of that polygon-wavering that makes everything look muddy, the textures are crisp enough to actually read expressions, etc. It kinda feels like they stumbled upon the exact artstyle that the PS1 was designed for. When did this game come out relative to other big PS1 games?

And then it's got good voice acting too. Not like MGS-good, but saturday morning-good, which is exactly what the game seems to be going for in all aspects anyway. And of course let's not forget about the gameplay, which I was expecting to be super old-fashioned and all ready to struggle with, but turns out is perfectly competent. Sure, the controls are a bit weirdly placed and there's no analog, but controlling MegaMan (as spelled in-game. weird) feels good, and the autoaim is just forgiving enough that the imprecise turning doesn't really hurt you.

So far, what a great game. If there's no weird difficulty spikes or padding to come, I'll probably marathon this by the weekend and jump right into 2. Speaking of, how long is it, usually?

That's because it doesn't really HAVE much in the way of textures, relatively speaking; lots of the game is done with Vertex Shading, which is of course much more limited but is immune to the PSX's texture swimming.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

lmao if you can't recognize and acknowledge that WayForward makes the horniest games this side of the Pacific.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

guys holy poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnVrDHHPnPM

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Dabir posted:

Looks pretty cool but I've never understood the point of the 2.5D gimmick and I'm sure I never will.

Well, it's visually distinct for one. But more importantly it facilitates a more dynamic camera, which is critical for co-op.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

9 and 10 worked in Dolphin, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Mandi Paugh basically codified everything.