Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Tallgeese posted:

Bad followup. Should have made a "CHAAARGE SHOT" joke.

That is a glorious battle cry and we will embrace it with pride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

J-Spot posted:

I figure this will meet the initial funding goal but I can't imagine MML has enough of a dedicated following to get it much further than that, especially without any sort of prototype showing off what this is actually going to be. If they're giving us a throwback to the clunky PS1 era then this doesn't have a prayer of going past the demo they're promising, and I don't know what the hell else this could play like otherwise.

I was just playing some MML and, honestly? If they just added some analog stick aiming and kept the rest it would be pretty okay.

Like, 90% of the games problems come from the awkward aiming controls.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

A good poster posted:

Did you only play the first Legends? MML2 learned a hell of a lot from Ocarina of Time in the lock-on department. Also, I think Legends 1 came out before the Dual Shock, whereas Legends 2 was after.

Misadventures of Tron Bonne, actually. The robot sections play more or less identically to Legends 1 Megs.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Ya know, the one thing that may make me skip the new MM collection, despite how nice it would be to have portable MM4, is the lack of Power Battle. Most of my time in Anniversary was spent playing that, dangit.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
All Megamen Are Good

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
The best way to ensure fire safety is to make sure there's nothing left to burn.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I just want one of these games to have the Power Battle arcade games on them. Don't wanna dick out my Xbox just to play them.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Megaman is basically designed to be "Astro Boy: The Game" before any of the actual Astro Boy games came out.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

I don't remember these games being this hard growing up.

I think I've found something that age has made me WORSE at.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Honestly the neatest thing about Xtreme 2 is that it gives players at least a smidge more Iris content.

Yes I'm one of those dorks that cares about the story and character in their dumb jump-and-shoot game.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
People have been clamoring for a Cataclysm game for years honestly, not knowing that it's completely fanon. It just got popular enough that it's just sort of assumed that Zero killed everyone despite like. No evidence that he did anything at all before he woke up and got decked by Sigma.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
It might have been. It feels like there was a decent span of time where the Bob and George community was basically the bedrock of the Megaman fandom.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Honestly the more interesting one is the second person she killed because apparently that one wasn't murder. If I'm remembering right dude was looking into X and found out something that apparently deputizes nearby civilians to execute your rear end if you find out about.

would be great to know what the hell that was

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I mean it could have been both. Given false pretenses on why she was executing someone, Alia is the type to follow through no matter how sketchy it seems because Good Soldiers Follow Orders, find out after the fact that yeah, nope, this was totally a war crime. Maybe trusting the system that sees us as property is a Bad Thing.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Megaman has actually managed to trend on Twitter as a chunk of the fanbase celebrates the announcement that the franchise managed to move another million copies since last year, and that Megaman 11 might soon overtake 2 as the most sold. Capcom financial results list it as still being Capcom's 4th most successful IP.

I know I'm an idiot for expecting this to amount to anything but dammit, I will keep hope for X9.

Or at least a Legends collection.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I know it's there to insist that you Git Gud but I...REALLY couldn't get into Zero 1 only giving you upgrades if you managed to do a perfect run of the stage. Like if I'm that good already I don't need the elemental upgrades in the first place. Also it BUGS me when a game gives me consumables but then penalizes me for using them. My brain just shunts them aside and never lets me use them no matter how Bad At Videogames I am because Low Score No Good.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Havin a blast with Megaman 11 on my day off, managed to beat all 8 robot masters on one go (never done that before, feeling really good about it), make it to the Wile stages and...for some reason the game just stops recognizing I'm hitting the jump button on the spinning platforms on WS1. No matter how early I press the button. Okay. Sure.

That's enough for now, ain't gonna let frustration kill my high.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Megaman 11 has finally dethroned Megaman 2 as the best selling game in the franchise.

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Nov 2, 2022

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Capcom did a new steam, part of it showing off MegamanBNEXE 3 Black(Blue), rest of it showing off the new Street Fighter.

https://twitter.com/RockmanEXEZone/status/1605180936936902656

I also really want the keychain from the Japanese SE.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I actually DLd the Megaman gacha and good lord were phones not meant to be used as controllers. I'm sure people more used to it can do insane poo poo but I keep fumbling the controls and running into attacks. The gacha seems oddly generous though, haven't spent a dime (nor will I, I only got it to waste time at work and it was SOME kind of new Megaman content, most likely gonna delete it once BN collection comes out) and it's already given me everyone I want short of Bass.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

chumbler posted:

Gonna be honest with you, I completely forgot Lucia existed. And yeah Axl would be Nero, but I was trying to think of anyone who'd fit stretchy arm.

wire sponge

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Honestly there's no real way to connect the characters 1 to 1. X and Dante both have guilt complexes over what they perceive is their responsibility for all the death and destruction around them but X faces that guilt with grim determination while Dante deals with the guilt by acting like a wacky woohoo pizza man and getting blackout drunk in a pile of old pizza boxes.

As for the others, uh

Supportive Senpai Who Takes You To Applebees and Tells You To Stop Beating Yourself Up Buddy You're Doing Great/Deadbeat Obsessed With Power Because Of Mommy Issues

I guess Axl and Nero are kinda alike in that they're both determined to prove themselves and are willing to shoot a motherfucker in the back of the head, but Axl would Fortnite dance over the body while Nero would kinda seethe and feel like poo poo.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
it's me, i'm the one who likes axl

Although, he was the first male White Day servant wasn't he? He's gotta have some kind of following if they were giving him first push.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
https://twitter.com/Protodude/status/1633968330603110401

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
So the topic of the Maverick Hunters politicizing the term Maverick to kill otherwise innocent Reploids comes up a lot in the fandom. Well Tumblr user You-cant-gently caress-megaman actually compiled a list of all the bosses, their motivations, and their fates, and the actual number this applies to is...zero.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Ground Scaravich was killed by Gate's own request. The fact that this is just a thing that a coworker feels alright asking her implies that Alia is actually a killbot *first* and a scientist second.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

KennyMan666 posted:

The story of Mega Man Zero explicitly was about Neo Arcadia slapping the Maverick label on Reploids they wanted to get rid of. In X4 the Repliforce as a whole was declared to be Maverick, they refused to stand down and be questioned after being framed for crashing the Sky Lagoon, and then went on to start a movement to create a nation for Reploids only, independent from any human government. So it being used in a political way has absolutely been there for a long time.

I mean, that's not really an improper use of the Maverick title though. For Repliforce anyway. When your bid for independence is preceded by something that appears to be an attack by one of your men (and it was even if not under the General's orders), then you refuse to talk because "muh pride" and then *followed* by half of your most important men firebombing random civilians for funsies (some of them under the influence of Sigma, but nobody upstairs would have reason to know that) like...I can't really say the government would be wrong for declaring you a bunch of violent criminals.

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Apr 9, 2023

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Now I'm imagining an MMX version of Resident Evil: Mercenaries and it turning out that Alia is the HUNK character. Just snapping necks left right and center.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Tallgeese posted:

There is nothing saying Alia was requested by Gate to kill Blizzard Wolfang or Ground Scaravich. The guy completely made that up.

Ground Scaravich was killed because he entered the Forbidden Land, which Alia helpfully clarifies to X is where Dr. Cain found him. Apparently unauthorized entry is grounds for immediate execution, which Alia carried out in an unspecified manner. She claims her conscience was against it the whole time. We know for a fact that Gate did not tell her to do it, because she states Gate did not care when she told him.

Blizzard Wolfang was executed by Alia based on a plan concocted by jealous colleagues of Gate to make it look like an accident, after Wolfang literally kills a bunch of Mavericks. Alia kills Wolfang and throws him into the ocean, which you have to admit is pretty impressive given he's over twice her size. She claims once to X that she was tricked into it, but two different times, once to X and once to Gate, she claims she was just following orders. In Gate's case she implies her career advanced because of it, as a contrast to Gate himself who did not do as he was told.

I thiiiink I see where they got that read on Ground Scaravich. I dug out my copy of the Megaman X - Maverick Hunter's Field Guide and found these few sentences.

"Created by Gate, Ground Scaravich was a burglar of ruins who served the Reploid researcher by acting as a "treasure hunter" devoted to researching an ancient site. He also happened to have lots of data of ancient robots, and Gate took care of Scaravich in exchange for this data, sending him to the forbidden area where X and Zero had been discovered. It was on this mission that Gate's then fellow researcher Alia was sent to intercept and eliminate Scaravich. Gate reportedly seemed to be indifferent to the destruction of his creation and data mule."

Reading too much into the sentence grouping COULD lead one to believe that it was his idea to get rid of him. Bit of a stretch though. Though now my main question is where the gently caress is this forbidden site that had X AND Zero? I'm pretty sure Light and Wily were generally on opposite sides of the ocean.

Oh and for Blizzard Wolfang it just says that she killed him in a way that made it looked like an accident and *then* dumped him over. So...either she just really wanted to make sure anyone who might find the body would be convinced he just fell and bumped his head or something or she killed him and then put on a song and dance to the rest of the crew on the ship of "oooh nooo he's dead what a tragic accident. oh well no reason to bring him back might as well just toss the body whatevs"

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Tallgeese posted:

Well, since you own that thing and I don't, could you confirm something for me? Does it actually claim that Zero stops fighting after killing Iris, and X has to do everything after X4-wise?

I'm not seeing anything like that on Iris, Zero's, or X's pages. The absolute closest is a mention that Zero never really did let go of how that whole thing ended. Outside of that no summaries of the events afterwards make a point of them fighting together.

The most interesting part is that X's own page completely glosses over his involvement in X4, implying that in universe it was totally Zero's show. Double himself also has one of the shortest entries in the book with most of it being a description of his attacks.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Light Gun Man posted:

so did dr light just make like 30 X's worth of armor capsules and put them everywhere or what?

It's never given a deep dive but the way that the Holograms can have conversations in real time about people that Thomas absolutely would not have known about in life implies that he is alive and aware and still building things. How he moves capsules around and why he hides them instead of just, iunno e-mailing X to pick up a new suit whenever a new crisis starts (beyond that being really boring gameplay) is anyones guess.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Hyper Inferno posted:

Seeing that sprite comic reminds of Bob and George and all of the other subcomics that lived on that site. I wonder what all those authors are up to now.

Far as anyone knows David Anez (Bob and George creator) just kinda...disappeared off of online space. He still occasionally updates the site but I think he just went back to his life as a college physics professor.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Battle Network Legacy Collection first impressions by Rockman Corner.

Shame about the font, but it's good to know that Buster MAX doesn't affect achievements. Can blast through :moreevil: guilt free.

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Apr 12, 2023

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
https://twitter.com/Prof9/status/1646908395570573315

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Man, I don't want to cheat the game but I'm reeeally tempted to turn Buster MAX on for BN1 until I have enough cards to make a decent deck instead of the random mishmash you start with.

Or just skipping it and starting with 2.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Man, I still remember one guy trying to rag on God of War: Ragnarok by pointing out that it used the same 'getting on a boat animation' as the last game and he became gaming Twitters main punching bag for a solid week for his troubles.

Dynasty Warriors created one of the most faithful fanbases in gaming on the back of ctrl+c/ctrl+v, people really don't mind that much as long as you're not super lazy about it.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Delete: Came to post the link that was posted just above this one that showed up the second I hit Reply.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Honestly the big appeal of other Megaman games is just playing them over and over. Battle Network has a whole social element to it that was a massive pain in the rear end to get running nowadays. That whole leg of the fanbase was probably revived the moment they announced online connectivity.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
https://twitter.com/Protodude/status/1655549856109264901

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
https://twitter.com/Protodude/status/1663736570157887488