Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

Hobo Siege posted:

It's not an unreasonable assumption. X4, quoth Dr. Wily in Zero's dreams: "He is my nemesis. Our rivalry is what gives me motivation in life. Now go, destroy him." Cut to Zero standing around with blood on his hands and smashed robot bits laying everywhere. Then at the end it's revealed that his original state was a complete loving nut who thought chopping a dude's arm off with a lead pipe was the funniest thing ever.

It would almost be sort of stupid if Zero didn't end the classic era with a murderous rampage.

Except, why would Classic era robots bleed? I've generally assumed that was Zero taking apart whatever poor bastards found him in the first place (thus necessitating calling in Sigma and friends to dispatch him as Maverick).

Just because Wily gave the order -- or set the programming -- doesn't mean Zero had the opportunity to carry it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taichara
May 9, 2013

TaurusOxford posted:

Mighty No. 3:

I dig it. I love the aesthetic of the designs so far.

Really reminds me of the virus designs in the .EXE games. I think it's the face especially but don't quote me on that.

taichara
May 9, 2013

fivegears4reverse posted:

Mega Man stopped being about Mega Man alone a LONG time ago. There's potentially a pretty exciting world to explore, and it's mostly Capcom's fault for not exploiting that to the fullest across every iteration of the franchise.

Snipping out just this little bit to comment on why I, personally, have no interest in MN9. Because, essentially, the Mega Man franchise did give me a pretty exciting world to explore, and I want to see more of that world and not some weird parallel not-quite world.

Folks who are interested can go for it, and folks who are interested in the (potential similarities of) gameplay can go for it; but it's not for me.

taichara
May 9, 2013

Mister Roboto posted:

Well, regardless of the reasons...they didn't sell.

That's probably what finally lost Inafune his power at Capcom. They were heartfelt attempts to revitalize the series and bridge old school with modern...and they didn't sell. Maybe it was the PSP, maybe it was piracy, or maybe it's just that 2d sidescrollers are a hard sell these days. And I LIKE 2d.

"Heartfelt attempts to revitalize the series" would have consisted of actual new games and not remakes, however prettied up, of the first games in Classic and X respectively.

As one of many who were banging their heads against the metaphorical wall when the games were announced, we didn't want remakes. We wanted new games. No one wanted a retread of X1 while we wanted to know what the hell was supposed to happen after X8. Hearing that Inafune planned to keep charging full steam ahead remaking the series didn't help -- and having him bogart English dub tracks for X6 destined for the X Collection (when we knew bloody well the Maverick Hunter games would never get there) helped even less.

Those games didn't sell, alright. They didn't sell because they were released on the PSP, but also because pretty remakes were not what the fanbase wanted.

taichara
May 9, 2013

Screaming Idiot posted:

MN9 is trying too hard to be Megaman, and that turned me off from the start. Yeah, it's made to appeal to Megaman fans, but I agree when others say that Inafune is relying too much on nostalgia and not enough on MN9's own merits.

I've decided that I'm not even going to try it. If I want Megaman nostalgia, I have dozens of games to choose from already. I'd be more willing to give it a chance if it could stand on its own, but apparently its main appeal is that it's a substandard substitute.

This is me in a nutshell. I'm not interested in a blatant play at Megaman nostalgia, I have a pile of the real thing sitting there right now -- and wanting the opportunity to play more Megaman is not really going to be met by playing a game that's mimicking that series and setting. Substandard substitute, like you said.

This is why I've been much more interested in Gunvolt, which I enjoyed. The callouts are there, but I'm playing a speed game with a new mechanic and, just as importantly, the story isn't cloaked in quite so much of a pale copy aesthetic. (Although I suppose having a taste for psychic scifi cyberpunk/dystopia stories that matches my taste for robots didn't hurt either.)

taichara
May 9, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The robots do have some sort of core that they refer to as a heart, I think. Ray's gimmick is that he doesn't have one and needs to absorb other robots to survive, hence the vampire motif.

A flawed/broken/in this case nonexistent core?

For gently caress's sake, he managed to throw in one of Protoman's defining characteristics along with Zero and Bass.

taichara
May 9, 2013

JustJeff88 posted:

Edit: I still think that Capcom could make a fuckton selling a (3)DS compilation of Mega Man 1-6 and 9 & 10 with DLC. It would be minimal effort and cost, and the proportional profit would be impressive. I know that I left out 7 and 8, but those are not 8-bit offerings and getting the 8-bit versions from that Japanese chap who made them (and putting the admittedly small amount of text into English) would be legal hell and drive up their costs.

1-6 and the Game Boy / Game Boy Color games are already available in the 3DS eShop and I've seen no reason to believe that the profit there has been "impressive" in the slightest.

taichara
May 9, 2013

Panic Restaurant posted:

Not sure if anyone else cares, but apparently Archie is putting the Mega Man comic on "indefinite hiatus" after issue 53. Rumor has it that it's due more to financial issues at Archie limiting how many series they can publish rather than sales figures or anything to do with Capcom. It wasn't perfect, but I really liked it and I'm bummed out now. :smith:

It's circumstantial evidence, but I can attest to having seen some of the comics news blogs I follow talking about what looked to them like shaky situations at Archie for at least the last year or so. The company is even overhauling the actual 'Archie' brand in a style update in an attempt to get sales.

The constant scheduling wierdnesses for the comic were probably the first warning bell, really.

taichara
May 9, 2013

Lurking Haro posted:

It's not a demo. Think Ground Zeroes instead. With all story stretch goals, it'd be about as long as the first Legends.

They shouldn't be locking the actual game content behind stretch goals to begin with, then.

taichara
May 9, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

In unrelated news, it looks like Mighty Gunvolt is being re-released for the Vita/PS4 as "Gal Gunvolt." http://gematsu.com/2015/07/gal-gunvolt-announced-ps4-ps-vita

I have literally no idea why on Earth you'd rebrand your game to give Gal Gun higher billing than Mighty No 9.

Combination of Gal Gun II coming out shortly (it was even shown at the Too Many Games convention as a demo) and wanting to put the focus on their own IPs, I'd imagine.

taichara
May 9, 2013

Hexmage-SA posted:

So I just found out that apparently the Japanese Rockman Zero Collection website temporarily had a series timeline that was removed. This is significant because it apparently claimed the Maverick Virus came from space, X was designed to be immune to it, and that it somehow turned Zero good despite never doing that to anyone else.

It's cited on the Mega Man Knowledge Base, but I'm skeptical. Can anyone confirm or deny it?

I can confirm, insofar as it was reported and a translation given on Protodude's Rockman Corner. The timeline revamp was made when the Zero series collection was released on the DS; if I recall correctly that website revamp also changed up some other things from the actual Zero series itself, like Harpuia and company being created from portions of X's actual dna core (so, shards of him in a way) instead of just being patterned after him.

The Rockman Corner post with the translation is here: http://www.rockman-corner.com/2010/04/mega-man-x7-x8-and-command-mission.html

taichara
May 9, 2013

Monk E posted:

Its kind of funny how at the rate things are going Gunvolt may very well be on its second game by the time MN9 is out.

I could only hope; I want a second Gunvolt game like burning.

taichara
May 9, 2013

pick-e posted:

It feels like only yesterday that MM was getting into Smash and the comics were going strong, and Inti weren't stuck in Mighty hell... :saddowns:

Inti isn't stuck in anything -- they're moving along with releasing Gal Gun 2 on Steam, working on Bloodstained, and starting up development for Gunvolt 2 after having ported Gunvolt to Steam with various bonus modes and the complete script.

Now Comcept seems to be stuck (up their own arse, mostly), but that's an entirely different situation ...

taichara
May 9, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Theoretically Comcept is working on Recore (alongside Armature) and Red Ash. But in the former it's almost certainly another case of it being primarily Armature and in the case of the later insert laughing gif here. ReCore was also recently delayed so... v:shobon:v

So, yeah, pretty much what I said; stuck up their own arse. ;)

taichara
May 9, 2013

Eopia posted:

On Gunvolt 2, I had been under the impression that Copen was very dead as of the end of the first game, but I guess he got revealed to still be alive in some side material?

His survival was revealed in text + image in the liner notes of one of the CDs, and if I recall correctly was elaborated on in a short story that was serialized in Famitsu.

taichara
May 9, 2013

LemonLimeTime posted:

They would loving do that.

Eh, elaborating on material like that is pretty normal in Japan, in my experience?

taichara
May 9, 2013

So a herd of Mega Man fans got wind of a detail of an early draft of the new cartoon (school is involved) and flipped their poo poo and started campaigning at one of the show writers because of course they did:

http://www.rockman-corner.com/2016/04/writer-joe-kelly-talks-about-2017-mega.html

Well that's just lovely.

taichara
May 9, 2013

Where's the script?

MM has been reimagined so many times that I don't know why people expect this version to be an adaptation of some existing version and not yet another new thing.

There was no script; that entire witch hunt was ignited by the dude who runs the Rockman Corner news blog tweeting that they'd seen some early draft treatment and teased around before saying it involved a school, and invoking the Dreamwave comics. This ignited a firestorm on the Mega Man general thread on /vg/, where a campaign to storm the series creators and convince how Very Terrible And Stupid And Not! Mega! Man! the idea is and how it would Ruin Mega Man Forever.

So, yeah, blame a blogger who should know better by this point and a flock of overreacting morons.

taichara
May 9, 2013

Personally I wonder if the "optimism" angle isn't coming from one or both of the following factors, for good or ill:

1) having tripped themselves up over fans talking about The Protomen's material (or even The Megas, that last album set was not exactly cheerful)
2) spending too much time eyeing, say, the X series or Zero series

Both of which are easily remedied, but it's not impossible. I see people thinking X = Rock all the time.

taichara
May 9, 2013

Kurui Reiten posted:

You can toggle the cut-in conversations without pausing or anything by just tapping the little icon with an arrow and three lines that's in the upper right corner of the lower screen. Quick tap, gone. It does suck they didn't make the conversations fade out or something when a sprite was behind them, though.

There are options to increase the transparency of the text boxes + remove the character portraits if wanted, I don't think they really needed to do more than that myself.

taichara
May 9, 2013

Oh well, missed the trailer, it's gotten hit with a takedown notice.

taichara
May 9, 2013

Nah.

Inti's non-MN9 track record is a drat good one (Zero, ZX, Gunvolt, BM0, etc); if the one platforming fuckup to their name is associated with another company, somehow I doubt the problem lies with Inti.

taichara
May 9, 2013

Petiso posted:

The artbooks show X and Zero without their helmets, at least. And they sure feel less advanced than classic Mega Man.

The art isn't even consistent, granted those two pics are for figures that were made (with removable helmets/armour bits, I think?). I mean, here's art for Zero, reference art from X1 from the exact same book:

That sure looks like hair pulled against his scalp by the ponytail to me.

And X had shaggy hair in the early designs for the first Zero game, but since it didn't get in, it's here-or-there? But hey, it shows the idea's not a completely foreign concept anyway.

taichara
May 9, 2013

Larryb posted:

Do you happen to know what the complete weakness chain (including fortress bosses and the final one) is then?

Also does this game have a secret boss/ending unlocked by completing a certain task like the previous entries did?

Nope, even if you played the previous games that sort of just comes out of nowhere (seems like a weird decision too but maybe they just figured that Copen was the better protagonist)

I haven't paid so much attention to Luminous Avenger but from the bits I've heard and familiarity with the two Gunvolt games I'd say it's not that Gunvolt was murdered offscreen so much as LMiX is probably a diverging timeline taking off after the Bad End in GV1, where Asimov kills GV and Joule.

taichara
May 9, 2013

It was the localisation studio 8-4 that made that call. They also pushed for design changes to Gunvolt - ditching the braid, covering his exposed midriff, etc.

It was Inafune who trumpeted cutting Gunvolt's braid off etc in early promo interviews he did for Inti and I'm glad the pushback got them to ignore the braid removal at least. It had nothing to do with 8-3.

Goddamn hilarious to hear the excuse of making the character look "more masculine" for the West from the guy who designed Zero.

taichara
May 9, 2013

Ah, probably.

My guess is that all the concerned parties were thinking in terms of 3DS = kids market, as if Gunvolt stood any chance of MM-esque mass appeal.

It was baffling to me at the time, because, again, Zero. Why was long hair suddenly an issue now?

(this was not a Zero joke, it's Inafune's bizarre nonsense commentary.)

taichara
May 9, 2013

hatty posted:

I think they wanted a clean break and threw out almost every hanging plot point from the first two games

They've claimed in interviews that GV3 took so long because they "couldn't think of a story".

So, yeah, stuff like the GV2 secret ending and it's possibilities, or any of the other smaller dangling threads? Lolnope, can't do anything with any of that I guess.

Or with Gunvolt, which is dumb. Because man the secret ending was right there. Follow up on that!

taichara
May 9, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

I give credit to MMZero for having a single overarching plot over it's 4 games that it properly saw to it's conclusion.

A plot that never existed until they had to write it in chunks, because even the main antagonist in the first game was changed at the eleventh hour and they weren't initially planning to make a sequel, let alone four games. Which is why there's mess and inconsistency like "so what exactly happened to Harpuia and the others anyway?".

Anything overarching about plot in the Zero games is retroactive as they scrambled and worked backwards.

taichara
May 9, 2013

Point of order: Dr Weil, who instigated the Elf Wars, came up with Omega, and basically got the entire ball of hell that led to the Zero series rolling, was not a reploid.

taichara
May 9, 2013

I don't see much Gunvolt-specific in that screenshot, honestly, it just looks like a mashup for various IPs that Inti has made or worked on, maybe some new characters? Gunvolt's kind of notably lacking.

taichara
May 9, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ozxziD8HkM

Inti announced a new game today, and it's allegedly a real game that they want press outlets to pretend is an April Fools gag.

I wouldn't believe it; if you hit the url (https://flamefrit.com/en/) given for the game's (supposed) website on there, you only get the following now:

"This web site is closed already.
© INTI CREATES CO., LTD. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taichara
May 9, 2013

I'm just annoyed that the "out of ideas" card was even played and they hadn't yet made a single effort to actually follow up on the "true"/special/whatever you want to call it ending of GV2, instead trotting out the Copen games and whatever you want to call GV3.

They had plot hooks right there and never followed up on them.