Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
Personally, I have a soft spot for Mega Man: The Power Battle/Fighters. They're the only fighting games I've ever seen that play like platformers, and there's something awesome about having a Mega Man fighting game...

I was actually working on a fangame like this over last summer, using Game Maker and pulling from Mega Man Returns and some other sources. Unfortunately, I haven't had the patience for it lately. The code's not all that hard in Game Maker, but drawing new sprites for NES characters is hard. I tried drawing Air Man walking and I about went insane. I got Mega Man and Air Man done, but I haven't been able to motivate myself to get back to it. Ah, well. I'll get better at sprite art eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

So I'm all for more 8-bit Mega Man goodness, but I'm saying it... I loved Mega Man & Bass—the SNES version, that is. The play control felt natural, Bass was just as fun to play as as Mega Man, the graphics were awesome, the CD database was fun to browse... If Proto Man was playable, I'd be 100% happy with that game. I can see why people didn't like the GBA version so much... Small screens can be extremely constricting.

PonchAxis posted:

I'm playing through Mega Man 1 again and goddamn is this game loving hard. Isn't this one the hardest in the series?
The only distinctly haunting memory I have of the first game is the Yellow Devil. Mega Man 2, on the other hand, was an rear end-rapist of a game. Just thinking about Quick Man's stage (and having to choose between getting through the lasers on luck alone and getting rear end-raped by Quick Man himself) and the Crash Bomb boss in Wily's second stage makes me never want to play that game again. But I will, because everything else about it is awesome.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Swilo posted:

There's not much to discuss when it has an official and coherent timeline (MM/GB, X, Zero/ZX, Legends) :colbert: No clue where .EXE fits but who cares they suck.
My favorite thing about .EXE/Battle Network were that the Robot Masters were redesigned. I really wish they'd have used the redesigns in the original games though instead. I thought all the Navi characters looked badass, but I also thought the battle system and plot were more trouble than they were worth.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

The only games in the series I've even seen hint at a bridge between the two series are Power Fighters and X4. I do personally hate it when games leave important details as nebulous implications (Chrono Cross and Final Fantasy VIII drive me up the loving wall), and when I was a kid I really hated how much Mega Man X (1) left unexplained. But now I can understand why. The original series and X series are so stylistically different that I really think that it would look incongruous to have too many elements of the two series together. I think it even did look incongruous in those games.

I think Capcom's mindset is that what the fans want is more 8-bit Mega Man. And that's what they're getting. No more, no less.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Swilo posted:

But this was wrong fifteen years ago when X2 came out and wasn't XI :raise:
When I was a kid, my parents would make me call rental places and ask if they had a game before they'd take me there (for some stupid reason). Here's one conversation I had with one woman...

Me: "Do you have Mega Man X?"
Clerk: "... What?"
Me: "Mega Man X?"
Clerk: "... ... ... You mean Mega Man 10?"
Me: "Uh, I gue—"
Clerk: "No."
Me: "Well, how about Mega Man X2?"
Clerk: "... ... ... You mean Mega Man 10 to the second power?"
Me: "... Sure, that one. Do you ha—"
Clerk: "No."

EDIT: If there's one good thing to come out of these new neo-8-bit games, it's that people have finally shut up about Rockman & Forte being Mega Man 9.

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 17, 2009

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

That second one looks scary similar to Air Man. The seventh one also looks a lot like Stone Man.

EDIT: Holy poo poo, my avatar is a response to your avatar!

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Champinave posted:

I see no one has mentioned my favorite Mega Man game: Mega Man 1 DOS version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDZ3hzwfAic&feature=related
I tried playing this and Mega Man 3 for DOS and I couldn't stand it. I remember the thing that really bugged me were the Robot Master designs. They were just pre-existing Robot Masters with minor additions. I didn't even like looking at them because they looked so incongruous, like Bubble Sonic Man. At least Shark Man was kind of cool and got a Battle Network redesign.

My favorite entry in this sub-series was Mega Man 2 because it doesn't exist. :v:

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 24, 2009

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Yonic Symbolism posted:

in all my years of playing Megaman X AND of being a math major so that the greek letter Sigma is very familiar to me I have never made this connection.
My degree's in math and I didn't get it either until one time when I zoned out and I happened to be staring at my calculator.

Honestly, if the X series ever got an update, I would laugh my rear end off if Capcom busted out characters with either names of other mathematical constructs (like aleph-zero or i) or lesser-known Greek letters like upsilon or digamma. In fact, now that I've typed that down I really want a character in a Mega Man X game named Aleph Zero. That dude would be of infinite potential. You could say... countably infinite potential? :rimshot:

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Krieger von Rosen posted:

I didn't think it was that bad either.
However I may be the only one who thinks the Mega Man animated series one of the better video game based cartoons of yesteryear. It may be my nostalgia talking but I liked it. :shobon:
When I was a kid it really bugged me for some reason that the only Robot Masters who really came back a lot were Cut Man and Guts Man. Then there were a few secondaries (like Snake Man or Ice Man) then everyone else only showed up in one episode or less. I remember thinking that I'd like the cartoon a lot better if there was more of a rotation and you got to see more of the others regularly. A generic buffoon and a Peter Lorre impression get kind of old after every episode.

Awful theme song aside, I don't think it was a terrible cartoon, though. It was kind of like Capcom's other 90s American cartoons, Street Fighter and Darkstalkers: if there wasn't such an imbalance of screen time among the characters, and if the premise was tweaked a bit, they'd all have been much better cartoons.

Except for Harry in Darkstalkers. Nothing excuses that annoying little twerp.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Gammatron 64 posted:

No, 8 is easy as poo poo. Probably the easiest of the classic games other than 6.
There are four words wrong with Mega Man 8: "Jump. Jump. Slide. Slide."

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

So I've been playing through the Mega Man Zero games. I like Mega Man Zero 2 a lot, but there's one thing that annoys me about it: the EX Moves only being unlockable after getting an A or S in a previous mission. It also makes them missable.

Personally, I hate it when games (especially intentionally difficult games) make unlocking the boss' weapons grade-based. I know I probably sound like one of those "I want everything handed to me" gamers, but it just seems like a turnoff for those of us who always have and basically always will suck at platformers. It's almost like dangling aspects of the old Mega Man X gameplay over the player's head.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

mathaeis posted:

Capcom's instruction manuals have never ceased to be an endless source of anguish. Or the bullet points on the back of boxes. Most notable is on the back of the Mega Man X8 box, under New to the series: Complete stages and subquests in any order! That birthday podcast only confirms that everyone on the American side are complete morons.
Speaking of Capcom, wasn't it the Street Fighter II SNES manual where people got the idea that Blanka's fighting style is capoeira and the "Shotos" are, well, practitioners of Shotokan? Blanka looks nothing like a capoeirista; just saying someone uses a certain fighting style because of their country of origin is pretty lazy.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Continuing the Mega Man X debate... I also thought X1 was the best in the series. In fact, I even like the original better than Maverick Hunter X. I think that's because Maverick Hunter X moved around all the capsules. Even though I know it's unfair to expect a feature in a game for no reason, I was also a little disappointed that Zero wasn't playable even though Vile was. I think having access to Zero and his Saber and his style of play would have cast another new perspective on that game.

With X2 and X3, I'm always kind of conflicted. X2 was a great game, but there's something it was missing that X1 had that I can't pin down. I did think X1 was the best game in the series regarding collectibles. With the other games in the series (especially X3 and X5 to X7), I kind of felt lost with all the poo poo there was to find; I felt powerless without any of it and also felt frustrated trying to find any of it. I was pissed at X3 for making Toxic Seahorse's stage unbeatable without the dash upgrade, which if you're playing cold requires a shot in the dark in another stage to find. I also thought making the Ride Armors such that you have to find the modules first was a bad idea.

I actually didn't think X7 was all that bad. It wasn't a huge amount of fun, but I thought it was an interesting game and I did really like the graphics. With that said, the game still frustrated me. I don't know how to explain it, but the X series, to me, was most frustrating in that in the crappier games in the series (X5 to X7) I didn't ever feel like I was playing the game "right." Even X8 gave me that feeling a lot of the time, even though it was an improvement over X7.

xezton posted:

This should be done for all Mega Mans.
Every time I play a Mega Man game I secretly hope that Dr. Wily will take all the game's Robot Masters and pull some Megazord poo poo like that. :smith:

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Ryoshi posted:

I agree a sequel to Powered Up would be super cool, though. While we're dreaming, how about Maverick Hunter X2? The first one was kinda mediocre, but only because MMX was such an incredibly solid game to begin with it made the changes look worse by comparison. It would be cool to see what they could've done with X2, which in my opinion was a much weaker game.
I really enjoyed Powered Up and its playable Robot Masters. Speaking of playable Robot Masters, if I had to go pipe-dreaming about Mega Man projects, I'd go with a full-fledged fighting game that springboards off Power Battle/Fighters. I loved the mix of fighting game and platformer, and a game like that could have insane replay value with more playable characters and more to do.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

So I had some free time recently and—rather than learn a trade or get laid like a normal person—I made a Mega Man version of shogi.

I'm just posting this because I made this whole thing before I realized I didn't make it for anyone but me. Ah, well. I'm pretty happy with the way it looks.

EDIT: For the record, I am more than aware that I need to get out more.

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jan 6, 2013

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Mordaedil posted:

That's goddamned amazing, sir.

jivjov posted:

Seconding the "goddamn amazing" sentiment. Share more details so I can steal the idea for myself admire it more.

Mister Roboto posted:

I already got a request from a friend to ask you to please post the details or schematics so they can make their own.

If you wanted, this could probably get attention on bigger sites like Kotaku or Geekologie. Want some publicity?

Light Gun Man posted:

Make an online playable multiplayer version of that please. Love the loving giant pieces.

g0lbez posted:

Dude that's loving awesome and I hope you have a lot of fun with that. You shouldn't be ashamed of spending so much time on a hobby though, I've been wanting to make a board game myself for a while.
Wow, I did not expect such a positive reception! Thank you all very, very much for your support! It means a lot; no sarcasm.

I'll tell you what… I still need to write down the details I have in my head. When I get time, I'll make some more cards to show how the pieces move and a rulebook (the rules are extremely simple; each turn, you move a piece, drop a piece, or do a special move). I'll make sure everyone gets everything they need to make a replica if they want! I hadn't thought to submit to one of the bigger sites; maybe I'll make a blog or something first so there's a permanent reference point.

In the meantime, if you want something to tide you over, I have a playable prototype for my last project: a Street Fighter card game. (The rules look complicated but they're actually simplistic once you get the rhythm down.)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Mister Roboto posted:

Ok, we seriously have to talk. That SF game may be more significant than you realize and could seriously take off.

If I had PM I would do it, got another way to contact you?
s_the_great@hotmail.com (You'll have to excuse the address. I got it when I was 15. I was an extremely arrogant teenager.)

Honestly, I'd love to hear anything I could do to get people playing it! Even though the one playtest I did went very well, I've had to advertise the living gently caress out of it just to get a handful of people to look at it!