Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Any word on 10 being released for 360/PS3 also yet, or Wii still the only one mentioned?

I do hope they bridge the gap between classic and X with this one though. Or at least start to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

MM3 is probably still my favorite, only because it was the first one I got. I remember being a kid and having finding a 3 or 4 page preview of the game in some old no longer existing magazine and reading those 4 pages entirely EVERYDAY until my birthday hit and I got the game. As such I can blast through the game in one sitting in about 90 minutes.

And I honestly didn't find MM9 that hard, until Wiley himself. Sure there were some surprises that would get you at first, but once you knew they were there, they were simple to avoid. None of the bosses were particularly hard. Hell, none of the bosses in any of the MM games are particularly hard outside of Wiley/Sigma. And those mini-boss guys you get the Zero parts from in X3. gently caress those guys.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Boxman posted:

Figured there'd be interest in this thread - Via Joystiq, Famitsu reports MM10 is coming to PSN and XBLA as well.
Woo!

EDIT: I'm going to throw out wild speculation that this game will at least start the tie-in between classic and X with the inclusion of Sheep Man, since all the Mavericks in the X games are based off of animals.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

D is That Guy posted:

Timeline stuff.
Don't forget that Zero was built by Wiley I think before Light started X, and X was more of a counter to Zero. I might be wrong with the reasoning, but Zero was definitely built by Wiley.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Smoke posted:

Gotta love that Easy Mode preview. Also, no clues as to who the mystery third playable character is yet?
Well since Bass was mentioned as DLC, it's either Roll or I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Zero. :toot:

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

How does anyone NOT do Airman first.

My order is always:
Air>Crash>Quick>Metal>Bubble>Heat>Wood

Flashman I'll throw in anywhere after Metal just to break it up a bit.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Pollyanna posted:

Every time I play I realize I keep dying at the exact same place. I try to get past that falling-blocks lava pit but almost immediately I fall to the bottom... if I had Item 2 then I could just get past but every single time I try, I just can't beat Air Man.
You... You can't beat Air Man? You mean his stage or actually him? His stage I could understand, but he's basically target practice.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

I've never understood why people say Mega Man 9 is hard. As long as you're familiar with basic MM gameplay there isn't anything too tricky. Sure there may be things that get you the first time through cause you don't know they're there (like the pit jumpers in Concrete Man stage), but once you know what's going on they're simple to get around.

Maybe I've just played MM way too much. :smug:

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Blaine the Train posted:

Only Iceman goes down in 3 hits. I spammed the hell out of Ice Slasher on Fireman and it took a good 6 or 7 shots before that pixelated hellbeast kicked the bucket.
Gutsman goes down in 2 or 3 with the Bomb. Cutman goes down in 2 with Gut. Elecman goes down in 2 with Cut. Iceman goes down in 3 with elec. Bombman (fire) and Fireman (ice) are they only ones that take more than 3.

Although if you do it right and can hit Bombman with both the fireball and the thing that circles around you briefly, it's 3 shots.

EDIT: beaten heavily

Also, to the guy that still can't understand how the megaman's in the 4 at a time are going opposite directions, they aren't. First, emulators allow you to input left/right and up/down at the same time, something the original NES didn't let you do. But most of the time when one is going in one direction and another a different way, one of them is in a state that does no allow input.

For instance, when Megaman is hit, he does that flashy thing and cannot move for a split second. In that brief moment, a different input can be entered so that the other games do something different. Or when he goes through a boss door. That game won't respond to input, but the others will.

Orgophlax fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jan 2, 2010

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

The only original Mega Man that gives me issues consistently is 8. The snow board parts in Frost Man's stage and Wiley 2 (I think) gives me fits. Not so much Frost Man's, but definitely Wiley. Also Wiley himself is a terrible bitch.

I have no idea how anyone can think MM4 is hard. The only semi-difficult spot is Toad Man's stage with the tricky jumps in the rain at the beginning. And I guess maybe Ring Man's stage with the retracting platforms. But other than that the game is easy-peasy.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Yeah, the GB versions definitely seemed harder. Especially the first one. Good god I spent for-loving-ever as a kid trying to beat that game and I don't think I ever did until I got a Game Genie. It's loving brutal.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

bit posted:

Does anyone remember Mega Man on the Game Gear? I used to play it all the time when I was a kid, but hardly any one seems to know about it. It was sort of a mix of a bunch of different NES Mega Man games. It actually was a very tight and colorful game, its a shame not many people got to experience it. It's worth a play if you can find it, but original carts are hard to come by these days (and expensive to; around $50 last I checked).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2gHAP9gtss
Looks like the level layouts are pretty much the same. That's gotta make for some dubious blind jumps with the smaller resolution.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

SpaceBees posted:

I just played the Megaman 9 demo and loved it. What is the best way to play the old MegaMan games on a console? I have a Wii and Gamecube, so is trying to track down a copy of the anniversary collection for the Gamecube my best bet?
Your best bet at this point is actually to just get an emulator and d/l the roms. NES emulation is so good now that they emulate the flicker right above Shadow Man's box in MM3.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Why the gently caress is Strike Man a baseball, when his level is a soccer stadium and a striker is a position in soccer?

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Orcasword posted:

Nope sorry, you just suck at videogames.
Plus the fact that every X game after 1 you start with the dash. Unless he means the midair dash, which no, that stage did not require it.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Captain Invictus posted:

poo poo, for some reason I had thought you were "Shadow" on here. So close, yet so far. :v:

Also right on the MM2/MM3 front. Although those "bonus stages" loving SUCKED if you messed up that area where you had to use Rush Jet, even a single fuckup meant either redoing the stage or farming for ammo.
The trick to the Doc Robot version of Needle Man stage was that if you jump while on Rush Jet, it doesn't use up energy. So just keep jumping the whole time and the capsules that are placed along the way will be enough to get you across.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Captain Invictus posted:

didn't know that, but still, if you died close to the end, you had to farm those loving dragonflies for more energy.
Well that's when you just say gently caress it and use the controller 2 trick.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

So in preperation for MM10 I'm playing through 1-9 in order and after just getting through the 8 robot masters in 7, it's reminded me how much 7 doesn't really feel like MM somehow. It's hard to explain. I think its the bigger sprites. It feels zoomed in or something and cluttered. I also think it's a touch slower.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Namek-jin Arse posted:

Okay, yeah sorry I didn't realise you were talking about the gameboy one, which I did actually play though and I found it interesting cause it used original music. The music in that game still sounded better than this by the way.

Also please check the side, there's a whole series of videos of different levels, all of which have poo poo music although blade man's sounds the worst. So no, I'm not upset about one song, I'm upset about the entire soundtrack.

Well I thought in the original series that up to Mega Man 4 it was a labour of love and after that it turned to poo poo real quick. Mega Man 9 looked like an attempt to take the series back to its roots and it did a good job and had mostly excellent music. Now we have lovely looking levels with shittier sounding music and its a shame. It's just sad to see I'm the only fan to realise that now but you'll find out soon enough.
This. This is something amazing gentlemen. You have wall scrolls don't you? And at least one sword? Oh, and you wish you lived in Japan?

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Hahaha... knew that probation was coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

raditts posted:

I take it the PC Megaman 1 and 3 weren't official.
They are and are way worse.