Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
Wow, I had no clue they were making a 10, that's awesome news if the same crew is responsible. The rear end in a top hat difficulty in 9 was so refreshing and true to the NES games, I especially liked how if you upped it to Hard or Hero it actually resulted in new enemy spawns rather than simply boosting their health or cutting your damage. The DLC was kind of a joke, though.

I've really only played the original and X series, which are both excellent overall. Except for that one PSX game where you can get yourself stuck or whatever, that sucked. I heard 7 was a really bad 3D transition but 8 was much better, are they worth playing? The first Legends was also fun if a bit slow, but I can't even remember if I played the second.

I tried the first GBA Zero game way back and got stuck on what I think was the second to last stage, even fully ground up the (mini?)boss still stomped me and I never tried the others. Wish it had been more linear anyway, are the sequels any worse? What's even up with the ZX games?

DocBrown posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAeU3-w92lU

Megaman vs all Megaman 2 bosses at once reprogrammed game.
Anybody who likes MM2 and thinks they're good at the games must download that from the link in the description. It's really hard, and real men do it with no energy tanks.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I always liked the vocal audio, despite how drag and drop it probably was to put together.
This was made with a sequencing program that vocodes voice clips of syllables, they probably exported the music to MIDI and it took almost no effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The extra difficulties were part of the DLC, so do you like it or don't you? I personally enjoyed it, especially Endless Mode, and it's not like they witheld core content in order to nickel-and-dime you like so many other games.
The difficulties were the only thing I liked, Endless mode might have been cool years ago when I had people to compete with. Proto Man and the new level/boss were worthless, and they never came out with anything else. It wasn't exactly core content, but it was things they could have shipped with for another $5. I just hope they do a better job of it this time around.

mathaeis posted:

The Zero games were done by a completely different team, so the first game was them sort of figuring out how everything worked and such, and as a result is less polished and drat hard (in a 'makes you not want to play at times') way. The second and third are probably the best in the series from what I hear (I haven't played 3 yet, but my friend has explained all the details of the mechanics to me), and he said that 4, while good, is really just more of the same. By no means was it bad though.
It was the same guys who did 9, right? Makes sense that the first wouldn't be so great if they had no experience, guess I'll cheat my way through that fight (I have literally given up at that spot on three separate playthroughs years apart) and finish it to play the others.

HenryEx posted:

This is still the best Mega Man themed music track. :haw:

Yea, that was on TV. Unfortunately, it made the show out to be something much better than it actually was. False advertising at its best. :(
What is it with 90s Germany and techno? Pretty sure the original opening was false too, there was never anywhere near that much action in an episode.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
Mega Man 64 = Mega Man Legends on PSX, lots of people like it :)

edit: There was a Legends 2 on PSX

Swilo fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 14, 2009

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

Detective No. 27 posted:

You got it. I'm by no means an expert on the series, so I'll be pulling a lot of this from Gamefaqs. If anyone knows any better methods and strategies, feel free to correct me.
Best weapon to use on your clone is Fire Man's thing, but not the bullet. When you shoot it a circle of flames appears around you, and the AI is abusable to always jump into it :v:

The "Bubble Machine" is obviously weak to Guts Man, there's 4 blocks in the room and they kill them in one shot each; though there's 7 which move progressively faster so you should save them. Regular P works fine for the rest.

PonchAxis posted:

I'm at Wily's Castle and gently caress the Yellow Devil.

gently caress you rear end in a top hat :argh:
Game ruining unfun for the desperate: Rapidly tap select to pause the game and your attacks will hit multiple times, it's possible to beat him in one shot of Elec Man's thing.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

MokBa posted:

This thread doesn't have nearly enough timeline discussion.
There's not much to discuss when it has an official and coherent timeline (MM/GB, X, Zero/ZX, Legends) :colbert: No clue where .EXE fits but who cares they suck.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

PonchAxis posted:

Whatsup with that ZX and Starforce Megamans? What the gently caress are those all about?
ZX is a sequel to Zero and Starforce is a sequel to EXE/BN, no clue how they play as I haven't touched either.

edit: Yeah, what he said.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

CloseFriend posted:

I think Capcom's mindset is that what the fans want is more 8-bit Mega Man. And that's what they're getting. No more, no less.
I wouldn't mind giving X the 9/10 treatment if they went back to pre-X4 gameplay like those go back to pre-5 mechanics. The ride armors are about as far as I want to worry about non-boss powerups and make a nice complement to the originals' Items and Rush, and they could dump most of the plot in favor of better level design and use of weapons.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

StickySweater posted:

After they made 7, 8 and 9, I figured, hey if Mega Man X is the next game in the series, it would mean that I was actually right all along, albeit unknowingly. Too bad they had to make this.
But this was wrong fifteen years ago when X2 came out and wasn't XI :raise:

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

Boxman posted:

This did not stop some loving moron with a thesaurus from thinking the same thing.
I think we all thought it was 10 when it first came out despite the huge gap (5 hadn't even come out here), but reasonable people figured it out eventually.

CloseFriend posted:

When I was a kid, my parents would make me call rental places and ask if they had a game before they'd take me there (for some stupid reason).

EDIT: If there's one good thing to come out of these new neo-8-bit games, it's that people have finally shut up about Rockman & Forte being Mega Man 9.
Back when the only people playing these games were still too young to work so the employees had no clue, oh to not have to dodge a 3 conversation on the merits of your purchase at gamestop :911:

Yeah, now it's 8.5, which is its own kind of ridiculous.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Don't they call it Megaman 8.5 because theey found the phrase "ROCKMAN 8.5" buried in the SNES ROM somewhere?
Yep!
code:
00052940 46 3a 5c 52 4f 43 4b 38 2e 35 5c 42 49 4e 5c 43 F:\ROCK8.5\BIN\C
00052950 4f 4c 4f 52 2e 45 58 45 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 OLOR.EXE........
Leftovers from development.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

mathaeis posted:

edit 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOWrwxn6aNw&NR=1 oh god Blizzard Buffalo's intro. I can't stop laughing. I completely forgot about this.
Is it that it's so cheesy, or that they misspelled his name as Bilzzard? Volt Catfish is another good one, smiling his way down a water slide with a cameo from MM 7/8 in the background.

edit:

mathaeis posted:

By the way - http://www.capcom-unity.com/

Live webcast with Inafune for the 22nd Mega man birthday celebration, just started.
:siren: They're playing 10 live, and the producer sucks rear end at it :siren: Sheep Man's stage is like you're inside a computer, there's a mouse cursor drawing blocks that fly at you and electrical stuff!

This is awesome, I hope they put it up in higher quality later.

Inafune is mocking the producer every time he dies, his new nickname is "Fail Man"

The ninja star is back.

Swilo fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Dec 17, 2009

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

mathaeis posted:

Where did that first come from? The only game I remember seeing it in was Bionic Commando: Rearmed, and had no idea what it was.
It was an item only seen once in the last Wily stage of Mega Man 1, past a really nasty spike jump off a moving platform with low overhead. It then disappeared for 10 years until 8, but has since been in a few other games as well. It fully refills your health and weapon powers, which was nice because it originally appeared before the boss refights.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

Nahxela posted:

And then Rageman, Cakeman and Waffleman :psyduck:

I want an E-Tank, too.
Those are all just jokes :shobon:

E-Tanks will be on sale in the US (a different one, they say it's carbonated and tastes better), but no details about when or how much.

The Q&A has started!

There was a question about Legends 3, but I didn't quite catch it all and what I did sounded like a joke response :(

About the next X game, Inafune says he's really busy right now but thinks he'd like to do something "crazy" first like a movie.

If there's an 11 coming, it may switch to SNES graphics.

Someone asked about making a new game with hand drawn graphics like Odin Sphere or Muramasa, got shot down because "As a game creator I'd hate to be an imitator."

Mega Man Powered Up 2, "We really like Mega Man 2 and it's one of the most popular in the franchise, there is a very strong possibility you will see that."

Interesting bit that wasn't a question: Apparently the first game wasn't so popular and the sequel wasn't officially greenlit, so the crew worked on it in their spare time and just kind of showed up with a near-final product at a meeting. They all loved it and decided to publish.

Swilo fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Dec 17, 2009

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

ohnoitschris posted:

Here's MegaMan's birthday cake :unsmith:

I think you mean Cake Man!

Kelp Plankton posted:

Local chain of game/music/movie stores called Slackers. I bought Megaman 4 from them a while back actually, they're one of the few places around here that sell NES games for reasonable prices.
Was this the new US version with Mega Man on the label and a larger can, or an import of the E-Can from Japan?

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
Quoting this for a new page:

Panic Restaurant posted:

:siren:Mega Man 10 Official Trailer!:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dv3X8Z6fCk

Gives us silhouettes and brief glimpses at the 8 robot masters' stages. One of them clearly has A SWORD FOR A HEAD. Betting that's blade man, or something.
I'm really glad to see them adding in so many new level gimmicks they could make the sandstorms so loving hard, and that seesaw over a spike pit with flying enemies is just evil, as well as bringing back some of the old ones that weren't fully realized BOMB PLATFORMS WOOHOO.

raditts posted:

Also it seems like everyone uses Metal Blades against Wood Man, but one charged up Atomic Fire kills him instantly. Am I the only one that figured that out as a kid?
More like you're the only one who doesn't play on Difficult :c00lbutt: Even there it only takes two, but it's a lot tougher because by the time you charge the second he's on top of you.

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Um what little of a plot exists states that Roll is sick and that's what Megaman is fighting for. I don't think it's possible for it to be Roll.
I really doubt this would stop them if they think it would be fun, and I only the serious business super nerds would be upset.

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. It's a book. A good one.

Edit: I should read more. I guess the reason the creators chose sheep was really that dumb.
The reason they chose Sheep Man may have been kind of stupid, but going by the videos shown of his stage you'd have to be blind to think at least one person hadn't read the book.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
If you're looking for a short list you'll want to play 2, 3, X1, and X2 in that order.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

AzraelNewtype posted:

Except everybody only fights Woodman in order to get Leaf Shield in order to beat Airman in order to get past the blocks in Heat Man's stage. So you can't use Atomic Fire yet. Duh.
What kind of pussy can't get past that pit without Item 2?

Metal > Bubble > Heat > Wood > Air > Crash > Flash > Quick

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

Smoke posted:

Fun little thing to try in X1: Get the Heart Tank in Boomer Kuwanger's stage without using the Rolling Cutter.
I was expecting to see this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGi-2AVjpBE#t=6m18s

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

mathaeis posted:

Don't you have to use the teleport out at the end, not actually kill yourself?
No, and you don't need to die on the run where you want to get it either. If it's not spawning then you're missing an item, as there's also no requirement that you have full health/items/tanks at the time.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
200X is not 20010, otherwise 21XX would be 211010 and MMX is set roughly 100 years after the original
:goonsay:

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

D is That Guy posted:

Opportunity Man (Spirit Man's evil twin)
How do you propose he get to Mars in under a day? Even in X5 they rely on conventional rocket propulsion :colbert:

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
You can't actually input to a game on every frame, certain actions and events will lock the controls (getting hit, scrolling, navigating menus, lag frames, etc) allowing you to control the other games unaffected. String these together with just the right amount of stagger and throw in some wasted movement for the times it doesn't work out and you get something marvelous.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
Go play 9, it is awesome and will kick your rear end a whole lot.

Smoke posted:

Megaman: Powered Up changes the timeline to start in 20XX rather than 200X.
But what will we do in 2099???

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
There's a lot of ways, pick some timestamps and I can probably explain it. The run is absolutely legit and the videos are perfectly synced.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

Gabriel Pope posted:

Seriously, by what token is Mega Man 9 anything but retardedly easy?
By the same token as every other MM game is hard the first time through before you know the levels and patterns.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

Schwarzwald posted:

Why are you so sure that 8 won't get a Wii release?
It already exists on a GC disc, and he was talking about VC/WW releases which would be impractical given its size.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
Key changes in my video game music? It's more likely than you think!

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

Namek-jin Arse posted:

Also please check the side, there's a whole series of videos of different levels, all of which have poo poo music although blade man's sounds the worst. So no, I'm not upset about one song, I'm upset about the entire soundtrack.
There's only 4 new levels, the rest are from CES last month which are all the same music and may not be final. Even these may not be final, and the intro sucks as much as 9's. In short I'm not worried yet.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
Let's lock this until Monday.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
Most people are probably too busy with classes and jobs to play until tonight.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

Orcasword posted:

I'm guessing rm7fc.exe runs it, but I don't know what program I should download to get that to work. :confused:
Windows.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

Orcasword posted:

They never explained how Sigma got his scars in the original X1.
I think it was X4 that had a cutscene about Sigma's past and the origins of Zero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

Barudak posted:

You'll probably get X9 whenever Capcom decides to make another retro-downloadable for the PSN and XBLA when they think people are sick of original Megaman throwbacks.
Not so much sick of as they just think it's the next logical place to go, in an interview somewhere Inafune said they were looking to make a 16-bit game and I doubt it would be in the vein of 7.

Legends 3 definitely has my interest even though I know I'll be disappointed at the 360/PS3 release because I only own a Wii.