Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SDShamshel
Jun 19, 2004

Picturing You Naked
I've always been a Mega Man fan and I got 9 when it first came out, but I never got the chance to play through all of the games. Fortunately someone I know lent me their copy of Mega Man Anniversary Collection and so I'm going through Mega Man 5.

Maybe it's because I was so indoctrinated by my childhood experiences, but while I found Mega Man games difficult they never felt particularly unfair, at least out of the original series. The X series is another matter entirely. Not only is it too unforgiving but it also has a few too many bells and whistles in my opinion.

One thing I really liked about 9 which I hope they continue with 10 is that the boss fights are all fun and for the most part difficult (the main exception being Galaxy man). I liked how even knowing the boss's patterns didn't necessarily make it an easy fight, and it's something that doesn't always happen in Mega Man games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SDShamshel
Jun 19, 2004

Picturing You Naked

CloseFriend posted:

So I'm all for more 8-bit Mega Man goodness, but I'm saying it... I loved Mega Man & Bass—the SNES version, that is. The play control felt natural, Bass was just as fun to play as as Mega Man, the graphics were awesome, the CD database was fun to browse... If Proto Man was playable, I'd be 100% happy with that game. I can see why people didn't like the GBA version so much... Small screens can be extremely constricting.

The Nintendo Power article says they're planning a third playable character for Mega Man 10. In all likelihood, that character is probably going to be Bass.

Or Roll.

But probably Bass.

SDShamshel
Jun 19, 2004

Picturing You Naked

Mr.Flibble posted:

I highly recomend watching Oyster's"Super Adventure Rockman" Let's Play, it's a fun fmv game that was originally only available to play in Japan, but Oyster translated it into English for so now we can all enjoy it together in this very well done lp.

Anything is made better by Norio Wakamoto narrating.

SDShamshel
Jun 19, 2004

Picturing You Naked
According to some wiki I read once (so take this with a grain of salt), Shadow Man isn't even entirely a Dr. Wily robot as it was based on some ancient design (Shadow man is a ninja).

I'm sure ninja skills are good for something.

SDShamshel
Jun 19, 2004

Picturing You Naked
If we're talking Mega Man 2 boss orders, my preferred one is...

Woodman: Simple enough to defeat

Airman: A fairly easy boss, and Item 2 is very useful beyond its intended use. Of course Leaf Shield demolishes Airman.

Crashman: Leaf Shield is so useful in this stage to deal with those drat eggs, and Air Shooter takes the boss down. Also you can use Item 2 here to grab energy tanks and 1-ups and stuff by using it as a makeshift platform.

Flashman: Use Crash Bombs to get through walls, use Item 2 again as a platform to get to places you normally couldn't. If you time and place them effectively, a single Crash Bomb can take off as much as 1/3 of Flashman's life (or more if you're playing on Normal mode).

Quickman: Use Item 3 from Flashman to get the initial 1-up, use Time Stopper to give him some hurt. Air Shooter's good for those drat walkers.

Metalman: Use your zany Items to get more energy tanks and such. Metal is weak to Quick.

Bubbleman: Metal Blades are such a boon in this sage because you're attacked from all angles AND it's good against Bubbleman.

Heatman: You have Crash Bombs to deal with walls, Metal Blades to attack those spinning enemies, and Item 2 if you want to play it safe across the perilous lava flow. Bubble Lead takes down Heatman easily.

SDShamshel
Jun 19, 2004

Picturing You Naked
If we're talking Mega Man DOS, I decided to see if I could rework them to make them look like actual Robot Masters instead of hobbled morons.

This is the result:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SDShamshel
Jun 19, 2004

Picturing You Naked
Because the quality isn't so great on those sprites (and they're jpgs), I decided to reverse-engineer the sprites to see what they look like. Here are the results.