Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Czar Like Stick
Jul 8, 2004

by mons all madden
The Gameboy Megaman IV & V games were even better than the NES games. That's where all the shops & new abilities originate in the main series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxmzexowHk0

Czar Like Stick fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 12, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Czar Like Stick
Jul 8, 2004

by mons all madden
I really wish they would do a MMX9 in the SNES MMX style. I feel MMX lost a lot once it left the 16-bit platforms. MMX8 was the best game in the series in years but still not quite up to X1 & X2.

quote:

I remember playing X5 when it released and it was a lot of fun.....until one of the last stages where you fought the Yellow Devil. MotherFUCKER I was never able to beat that guy. I think I threw a controller in frustration with that boss gently caress.
You can duck in MMX5 by holding down. That's probably your problem. :ssh:

Czar Like Stick
Jul 8, 2004

by mons all madden
Did anyone else ever design Megaman games and send them to Nintendo as a kid? I did. I'd draw out the levels so they looked the same as the maps in Nintendo Power, come up with eight original bosses and send them off. Always got a reply letter along the lines of "sorry, we can't use fan-submitted stuff," and once in a while they'd give me free stuff.

Eventually I figured out Capcom made Megaman, but hey, I was like eight. Wish I still had some of those old "games" just to look over them.

Czar Like Stick
Jul 8, 2004

by mons all madden
I always thought the general rule was that odd-numbered Megaman games are harder and even-numbered Megaman games are easier. That only goes for the original series though.

Czar Like Stick
Jul 8, 2004

by mons all madden

Captain Invictus posted:

This is completely wrong because 7 is a cakewalk, 2 is bullshit if you do it in the wrong order, and 3 is easy too if you're not stupid with wasting Rush Jet

Funny, I always thought MM2 was probably the easiest one, and it wasn't even one of the Megaman games I owned as a kid.

Czar Like Stick
Jul 8, 2004

by mons all madden

bit posted:

Does anyone remember Mega Man on the Game Gear? I used to play it all the time when I was a kid, but hardly any one seems to know about it. It was sort of a mix of a bunch of different NES Mega Man games (4, 5, and a bit of 2). It actually was a very tight and colorful game, its a shame not many people got to experience it. It's worth a play if you can find it, but original carts are hard to come by these days (and expensive to; around $50 last I checked).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2gHAP9gtss

This reminds me a lot of the Xtreme games in that it's basically a 90%-straight port where nothing fits on the screen the way it should.

Czar Like Stick
Jul 8, 2004

by mons all madden

Cydonia posted:

I was under the impression that as the X series went on the human population pretty much went extinct, dropping colonies or something.

They're on their way out in the X and Zero series and there doesn't seem to be any distinction left between "human" and "reploid" by the time of the Legend games.

Also since we're bragging, when I was in high school I could beat MMX without taking a single hit outside the Vile fights where you're required to lose.

Czar Like Stick
Jul 8, 2004

by mons all madden

CloseFriend posted:

So I've been playing through the Mega Man Zero games. I like Mega Man Zero 2 a lot, but there's one thing that annoys me about it: the EX Moves only being unlockable after getting an A or S in a previous mission. It also makes them missable.

Personally, I hate it when games (especially intentionally difficult games) make unlocking the boss' weapons grade-based. I know I probably sound like one of those "I want everything handed to me" gamers, but it just seems like a turnoff for those of us who always have and basically always will suck at platformers. It's almost like dangling aspects of the old Mega Man X gameplay over the player's head.
I agree, that was a stupid decision. So was making it permanently destroy your grade if you used ELF upgrades. The advanced stuff you get by using the ELF system and unlocking the EX Skills doesn't just make the game easier, it also makes the game funner, so putting ridiculous limitations on them hurt the first two Zero games from my POV. It felt like punishing the player for grabbing all the heart containers and upgrades in an X game. They fix that in MMZ3&4 somewhat. In MMZ3 there's an ELF that you can use to give yourself a high rank, and in MMZ4 I think the Ex Skills were tied to the weather in the stage or something.

Czar Like Stick
Jul 8, 2004

by mons all madden

Yonic Symbolism posted:

If that was really going to happen, it would have been pretty interesting. The only way we will get more X games that played like the original without five hundred extra pointless mechanics and characters is if the plot was re-written completely to allow for it. I consider what happened to Mega man X to be almost like what happened to the Sonic the Hedgehog series.

Hear, hear. I really wish the later MMX games had stuck to the same formula as the first three. They started with drat near perfect games in X1-X3 and started adding crap that just bogged the games down.

That said, X8 was probably the best X game in years when it came out, but after X6 and X7 that wasn't hard. I wish they'd pull a MM9&10 and make another X game like the SNES ones.

Czar Like Stick
Jul 8, 2004

by mons all madden
I love the hell out of the original X storyline. Sure it's kind of cliche, but it's very old-school sci-fi in a way that appeals to me. X1 is about robots becoming self-aware (thanks to the father/sage figure of the original series) and performing genocide, with the original model of their species becoming the hero of the human defense because he feels guilty about being the "Adam" to a series that brought so much destruction. X2, 3, 4 and 5 all hint the lovable cartoon villain from the original series finally won in a sense by creating the computer virus that caused it all to happen, and we find out the hero's best friend and ally is the Typhoid Mary that spread the virus in the first place.

After that it goes all to poo poo. X5 had a couple real problems story-wise as I see it: first, there shouldn't have been any more X games after it, but that's not Inafune's fault. Second, totally my opinion but X5 needed to end with Zero as the last boss. Bringing back Sigma again was a pretty stupid decision.

As far as X9... they said X8 was the end of Sigma. My guess is they were setting up Axl as the next villain at the end of X8. Whether we even get an X9... who loving knows at this point. I kind of wish they'd just reboot the series with Inafune back at the helm.

Czar Like Stick
Jul 8, 2004

by mons all madden
Yeah, Legends feels like a trilogy missing its concluding act at this point. Too bad since the first two were so good.

I need to pick up the first ZX since I finally have a DS. The only MM series I haven't liked is Battle Network so it sounds like a pretty good bet.

Czar Like Stick
Jul 8, 2004

by mons all madden

Kanos posted:

God drat, I would absolutely love this. Megaman V is better than the NES series in many ways and actually succeeded in adding some new poo poo(Megapunch, the store, robots not named xxx man, the ultimate villain not being Wily) while still being incredibly awesome.

Yes. Mega Man IV and V on the Gameboy were both better than their NES counterparts. In some ways Megaman 7 felt more like a sequel to the Gameboy games than the NES ones.

Also just picked up Megaman ZX after this thread reminded me it exists and so far I'm liking it. Love the homage to the intro stage from X1 in one of the early missions.

Czar Like Stick
Jul 8, 2004

by mons all madden
MM8 was one of my favorites but I have no complaints about the return to 8-bit style either.

Czar Like Stick
Jul 8, 2004

by mons all madden

Gammatron 64 posted:

The X series... well, purposely left out details in the beginning and gradually gave hints to the backstory as it went along. Like, in X2, Sigma hinted Zero was made by Dr. Wily, then in X3 and X4 it says X must destroy Zero, and in X4, it more or less outright states that Zero was made by Wily and was the originator of the Maverick virus.

Then X5 came out and my younger self got the biggest case of blue balls ever. The battle between X and Zero was less then epic (he should have been the last boss). Then in X6, Zero comes back like nothing happened, and they totally ignore pretty much everything the first few games were leading up to. I grew up getting each Mega Man X game when they came out and really, really loved Mega Man as a kid. Since I was a little tyke, and still now, he's my favorite video game character. For me, the direction the X series went in was one of the biggest disappointments in my life next to the Star Wars Prequels.
I get this. The X series was epic as hell to me when I was in junior high, and the first four games did a great job of building a pretty solid if cliche storyline on top of the original series--then X5 was kind of a let-down and there's no reason for the later X games to even exist. I think I already mentioned in this thread I'd love to see the series get a proper reboot that ends with X and Zero duking it out.

Czar Like Stick
Jul 8, 2004

by mons all madden
Or that Bass and Treble are called Forte and Gospel in Japan.

Czar Like Stick
Jul 8, 2004

by mons all madden
I have no idea how many Mega Man games I drew on paper (levels, weapons, everything) and sent to Nintendo. All with original robot masters, of course.

Ah, to have all that free time again.

Czar Like Stick
Jul 8, 2004

by mons all madden
http://www.themmnetwork.com/2010/05/11/rumor-is-this-mega-man-online/

So, Mega Man Online, anyone? I'm not really sure how that would even work.

Czar Like Stick
Jul 8, 2004

by mons all madden
I really like the storyline in the first two X games. For as simple as the games were back then they did a great job of driving home the idea that humanity was hosed and the Maverick Reploids as an organization were a real threat. Then they started doing enemy-of-the-week plots (except of course Sigma was always REALLY behind it) instead of building on the whole ongoing human-reploid civil war thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Czar Like Stick
Jul 8, 2004

by mons all madden

StickySweater posted:

"The Day of Sigma" was an unlockable extra included in the PSP remake of the first X game. There aren't any more episodes or anything.