Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Strange Matter posted:

This would seem to be the correct thread to post a link to the Protomen website.

For my part, I've been grinding through 9 for the past month. God drat that's a hard game but every minor victory is like the second coming of the lord.

A month back I drove a good 200+ miles to an auction of old tin robot toys.
The Father of Death was blaring the whole trip. :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Cabbagepots posted:

It seems that Capcom has found an easy-to-produce cash cow that they're going to milk dry.

Did you just figure that out?

Personally, it doesn't really bother me. I've enjoyed every Megaman game I've ever played.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gammatron 64 posted:

Mega Man 8's manual had specific bios and described what was going through Wily's head when he built each Robot Master. I.e. he was went overboard making Clown Man, and all the leftover parts were slapped on a refrigerator and Frost Man was born.

I'd like to see the world the way Dr. Wily does, if just for a day.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gammatron 64 posted:

I don't know about you man, I want a Mega Man game where he looks like a quarterback and has a chainsaw gun covered in spikes and snorts cocaine off hookers' tits and fights demon guys from warhammer 40k and swims in pools of blood of the mortals! And with lots of metal.

Oh wait, that's for people who are mentally children, never mind.

Here's a piece of fanart that was made prior to Capcom announcing MM9.

Click here for the full 1142x1171 image.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Hey, I missed the official Capcom stream last night because of some family poo poo. Was it recorded anywhere?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Champinave posted:

I see no one has mentioned my favorite Mega Man game: Mega Man 1 DOS version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDZ3hzwfAic&feature=related

I had this game as a child.

Has anyone on SA ever LPed it? If not, I might try.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Dec 24, 2009

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

TaurusOxford posted:

I can't believe there exists a Megaman game that's even worse than X7. Is this game even beatable?

I seriously doubt anyone has LPed this, and I think you're mad for considering it.

Aside from the parts of the game that are impossibly hard it's actually quite simple.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Detective No. 27 posted:

^^You can't shoot while time's frozen. If your meter is full when you use it on Quick Man, it will kill him.

Nah, it only brings him to half before your energy runs out.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Smoke posted:

I've also got most of the Bandai Mega Armor toyline, and all of the Bandai Japan-only Battle Network 2 toys(Base Megaman.EXE form in a specific Style, with 3 weapons, Forte and Blues were also released as part of this)

Speaking of Megaman toys, I have a few for sale at the SA-Mart. If anyone reading has any interest in that kind of stuff then please check it out.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3243629

Ichiban Crush posted:

While watching that Mega X episode of the US MegaMan cartoon, I came across this for comparison.

Super Adventure Rockman (Subtitled), a Japan-only series of Dragon's Lair-esque interactive movies on Saturn and PlayStation. Save the number of montages of Rockman readying his blaster, it's watchable, plus you see what happened to the original six robot bosses. Honestly, I'm not sure which version of Megaman I prefer; the American one spouting one-liners, or the one crying over QuickMan's death.

I feel like I should give a shout out to Oyster's excellent LP of the game.
http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/SAR/

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Kelp Plankton posted:

The downside, of course, is that 8 will never hit the Wii, and you're unlikely to see Power Battles/Fighters on it. (though those might get a VC Arcade release, who knows?)

Why are you so sure that 8 won't get a Wii release?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Smoke posted:

Well, I just picked up my copy of Megaman X Complete Works. The Megamissions are in, actually, in the design sketches part of the book around X3 there's some art for the Limited armor. Nice to see that it's at least somewhat acknowledged.

What is the limited armor?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MonkeyforaHead posted:

The intro screen tune is alright, but what I really like is the intro STAGE music. The rest of its soundtrack was pretty blah.

You really think so? I've always considered Topman, Geminiman, Sparkman and Snakeman's stage music as some of the best in the series. Needleman and Shadowman are right up there, too.

Megaman 3 also introduced the Protoman whistle theme.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

raditts posted:

Aside from Black Hole Bombs I can't think of any MM9 weapons that hadn't appeared in previous games as a different -Man's weapon.

Concrete man was original, and even the repeat weapons were given extended utility--Tornado man's weapon comes to mind.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ytadel posted:

Pump Man should team up with Wood Man, Hard Man, and Burst Man for Mega Man: Inappropriate Edition.

Centaur Man, too. I hear he's like a horse.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I wonder if they'll be any changes in the new release. Maybe they'll use the GBA card gimmick from ZX?

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I'm playing ZX Advent for the first time, goddamn this sucks.

Pressing start skips all the text. I enjoyed ZXA myself, but different strokes and all.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Orcasword posted:

Axl as the main villain? Ick. Although it would be nice to kill him off since he's done next to nothing for the series. Hey here's some kid reploid who has no past or memories wooooooooooo. Also, we're never going to bother explaining him!

I liked the way they handled that in ZXA.

Gray: Gee, I don't have any past or memories.
Plot: That's because you were just turned on for the first time, dipshit.

Bigopinion posted:

Also it's implied that X and Zero are "in" ZX whereas Axl is more the focus of ZXA, so if you have a beef with the new guy definitely pick up ZX.

I don't think that's fair. The plot made it clear that there was no connection between model A and Axl.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 17, 2010

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Bigopinion posted:

Consequently it makes me want to go play ZXA through to completion to figure out what the hell is actually going on there.

I'd really recommend it. I don't understand why so many people don't consider it such a great game.

wigtrade.cc posted:

also the protomen just came out with a rock opera apparently

Do you mean The Father of Death, or is there another one out?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Detective No. 27 posted:

I need a high res vesion of that. Now.

It's a thing of beauty.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Orcasword posted:

Yeah but you can just play 7 for that. And 7 rocks the house much more than 6.

In MM7, weapon charge time is longer than earlier games, jump height and slide distance is greatly reduced (in proportion to the character sprite), and Megaman even walks slower. MM7 just doesn't give you as much control over the character as the earlier games did.

While it is ultimately a matter of opinion, it's easy to see why someone would prefer the earlier games over 7.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I'm really digging CGI Gutsman.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I'm trying to remember a Mega Man 4 romhack. When I last saw it the only part that had been completed was Pharoahman's stage, and it concluded with a drawn out fight that continued over several screens, with Pharoahman actually changing thr terrain during battle.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
It's still an uncommonly extensive use of scripting for a Megaman hack.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Even if Megaman Online ends up sucking horribly, we will at least be able to look back and say, "yes, it had a pretty rad trailer."

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mercury Crusader posted:

If Capcom was serious about an MMO, they should have made one based on Ghosts 'n Goblins. It's a fantasy world setting, and everybody gets to be a knight! Just like every other MMO! Only instead of leveling up, you die a lot. Team up with others in hopes that they get hit instead of you!

Would you be able to customize your boxer shorts?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mercury Crusader posted:

I wanna power through Mega Man levels with Arthur! Two-hit deaths and all! Only the pro-est of platforming.

Oh Arthur... I'm so glad you came to help me...
But not even you can defeat that fiend Dr. Wily without the "Bubble Lead".

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

xK1 posted:

This reminds be so much of that comparison image of the Japanese and Western Kirby box art. Also, US Megaman looks bitchin', I'm glad Capcom finds his design as amusing as I do.

quakster posted:

It's "too anime". Clearly it must be the creation of an untrained mind.

Yay! I sold E-Tank for 120 bolts.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I've adjust the teaser image a bit.

I recognize Bombman, Flashman, Quickman, Cutman, Heatman, and Arthur; and there are also several characters I can't make out.

I'm guessing all the robot masters from Mega Man 1 and 2 are there.
Ultimately, this doesn't matter, because everyone will use Box Art Mega Man.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Screaming Idiot posted:

Or Slavering Rapist Megaman:

Actually, I have a feeling that the Mega Man character might have taken some cues from that cartoon. Just compare his design to Rockman.

On a seperate note, having Mega Man and Rockman be two seperate characters is going to make things real confusing real fast.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Hey, Silicon Era Dot Com, why don't you tell us all about these megamans?

"siliconera.com posted:

Mega Man Universe has a character customization system where you can make your own Mega Man by picking parts. Parts change the way Mega Man looks, his abilities and stats. Five parameters are shown in the screenshot above: life energy, weapon energy, shot, move, and jump. It appears Mega Man can equip different weapons too like Wood Man’s leaf shield and Quick Man’s boomerang.

Mega Man Universe also has a stage editor, which looks similar to the editor in Mega Man Powered Up. By placing blocks, power-ups, enemies, and vanishing blocks you can make your own levels and then share them online. Capcom promises Mega Man Universe more stage parts than the usual Mega Man tiles.

I was going to post a bunch of screenshots but waffleimages is down, so click the link and check the screenshots there. I'm getting the feeling that this will be "NES Mega Man Romhack: the Game."

Even though there will be a 1:10 ratio of good levels vs impossible disappearing block puzzles, I'm pretty hyped.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The biggest problem with Mega Man 8 is that the controls aren't as solid as the NES games.
Of course, I'm so hard core that I only play the MM7 and MM8 8-bit "demakes," now. :c00l:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Kanos posted:

canon reason for X learning hadoken and shoryuken found

OH poo poo SON -- It's been confirmed that you can play MMU as Ryu from Streetfighter, and it's been confirmed that you can create your own characters.

There is only one outcome:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Drox posted:

Hahah holy poo poo he's actually, literally called "Bad Box Art MegaMan"

Capcom needs to track down the artist who did the original American box art.

Edit: the girl in the custom character's menu has Cutman's headgear. I feel I should point this out.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Sep 16, 2010

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gammatron 64 posted:

Mega Man 3 is the best. Protoman, the slide, all the MM2 bosses, and it's twice as long.

It had the slide and it didn't have the charge shot, which I think is the perfect balance.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Drox posted:

Huh. Now I'd kind of like a Mega Man style game where you have to go kill a bunch of heroes.

It already exists: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astro_Boy:_Omega_Factor

I'm totally doing a video LP of it eventually.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Drox posted:

But that sounds like you're a hero robot killing villainous robots, like usual.

It's more like you're a hero robot killing hero robots that have goals that conflict with your own.

A lot of dialog is, "gee, you seem like a great guy, but you're committed to an opposing cause so I have to destroy you now. :nyoron:"

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

quakster posted:

Well, the NES games have whole levels without single hit kills. Like Charge Man's for example.

Oddly enough, I really disliked Charge Man's level. The amount of enemies it threw at the player got monotonous.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The last big budget Mega Man game release for a home console was X8 in 2004. Except for the retro MM9 and MM10, every game since then has been on a hand held.

Also, when first released Mega Man Legends and it's sequels didn't sell very well.

Capcom wouldn't put out a game that they probably don't expect to do well on a system that has a high development cost. As much of a shame as it may be, I really think this was the only outcome.

FrancisYorkMorgan posted:

They should actually give Megaman a beard or just make him look like a goddamn man and make all the characters older and say it took 10 years just for Roll and Tron to finally build a rocket to go rescue him. Make all the characters older.

Just so it fits in with how long it took for this sequel to come.

Even though it's only been minutes between games, it seems all of your equipment is ten years out of maintainance. Oh well, I guess you'll have to start collecting all new stuff!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

C-Euro posted:

2. If you killed a certain optional boss one of the Maverick stages by using his weakness on him (Vile, with either the Ray Splasher or Crush Claw) you'll fight a hornet mini-boss in the 2nd Doppler level. Fight it as Zero and it will cripple Zero after the battle, and Zero will give his Saber to X. This gives you an extra charge shot that's a instant-kill on enemies and a two-hit-kill (maybe even one-hit) on bosses.

Fully upgraded, X can charge the buster five times, in this order: weak charge, full charge, upgraded charge, second upgraded charge, Z saber. However, it's possible to get the Z saber without fully upgrading X! This cut's the charge by about half.

Just a fun fact.

I'll also second a recommendation for Violen's gorgeous X6 unarmored X minimalist run.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Well, now that Inafune is out of Capcom, we'll hopefully not have to worry about the storylines of his future games being left incomplete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Jerk McJerkface posted:

The Protomen have an entire rock opera telling the ballad of Mega Man and Protoman. I have their first album, it's pretty decent, but I guess their second album just came out, I'll have to give it a listen.

I had to drive ~600 miles in a day a year ago, and I had the Protomen's second album playing on loop the entire trip. It is surprisingly excellent. As good as the first album was, the second is just so much better.

Whatever's on the table plays.