Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Cabbagepots posted:

It pisses me off that MM10 is just going to be another NES-style game. It seems that Capcom has found an easy-to-produce cash cow that they're going to milk dry.

Hahahahaha you think this is new with Mega Man 9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Cabbagepots posted:

...I think they'd be golden and sell a lot of copies regardless of what neckbearded purists have to say. ... retro purists

I hear they're going to put Straw Man in this one. :v:

Cabbagepots posted:

And to me, Megaman is unplayable without the charge shot. My first Megaman ever was 4, followed by X. I want the blue boy to have the charge shot, not the red boy. Why do they keep making the red characters better than the blue characters :(

So, 2 and 3 are "unplayable?" :what: Those're probably the two best in the original series.

Cabbagepots posted:

Also I forgot about X7 and X8 which were sort of what I was describing, but they just reek of a half-hearted effort on Capcom's part.

I don't understand how X7 isn't exactly what you were describing, except terrible. At least admit that Capcom tried, failed, and so are going back to something that they're good at.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Cabbagepots posted:

What? How is that a strawman? Do you even know what that term means?

My love for puns has become my undoing. You're right, it's really more of an ad hominem. But "Ad Hominem Man" doesn't make any sense. :v:

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

DriveC posted:

That and jettisoning the anime would be pretty much awesome.

I really, really like Mega Man X4, but holy moly those cutscenes were bad.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Gammatron 64 posted:

Really? Where'd you hear that?

I think the guy who created Mega Man said so, but (and as absurd as this sounds, I'm gonna go ahead with it anyway) the plot supports X5 happening but not X6.

X5 ends with Zero getting pretty messed up, the Zero series starts with Zero waking from a long nap while he was repaired. It makes sense in a way that the others don't.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Gammatron 64 posted:

Mega Man 3 - Wily says he was only temporarily insane, and the 8 robots are made by Light and Wily to mine for rare elements for Construction of the super-robot Gamma (last boss of MM3)

I would buy this for maybe 6 of the 8, but what was the point of Shadow Man and Top Man?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Figured there'd be interest in this thread - Via Joystiq, Famitsu reports MM10 is coming to PSN and XBLA as well.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Swilo posted:

But this was wrong fifteen years ago when X2 came out and wasn't XI :raise:

This did not stop Tycho from thinking the same thing.

Click here for the full 800x417 image.

Hilariously, after that strip ran, they apparently got deluged with e-mail telling them Gabe was right, leaving this comic a memorial as proof that using a lot of big words in your blog posts doesn't mean you have any sense of logic.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

What was concrete shot copping off of?

The weapons in 9 weren't terribly original, it was just small improvements in their properties plus excellent level design that meant you were using them for all sorts of neat purposes. Tornado Blow is a pretty great example. It's just Gravity Man's weapon again, but it makes you jump higher, so you're all of a sudden using it to do little sequence breaks.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

raditts posted:

I was just randomly wondering, what happens to Bass in the core series? He's not in Megaman 9 (well, except as a schematic) and he's still a bad guy at the end of Megaman 7, he's apparently a good guy in Megaman and Bass, so what did I miss in Megaman 8?

He's a bad guy in 8. You have to fight him while he's wearing the Treble Adapt Suit. A pretty solid version of Bass' Theme plays during the fight.

IIRC, he's a good guy in MM&B because he wants to prove he's the strongest robot so he starts killing King's robot masters or something silly like that.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Namek-jin Arse posted:

It's just sad to see I'm the only fan to realise that now but you'll find out soon enough.

There is no :smug: big enough for this sentence.

Have we seen that much of the game? I haven't been following videos that closely, but really, I'm curious how you decided this game isn't a "labor of love" because you didn't like one of the songs.

I typed this post, read it over again, and I still can't believe how much you sound like :smugbert: with that last sentence.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Namek-jin Arse posted:

I guess you are tonedeaf.

I've said something similar before, but: you, right here, is why :smug: was purchased.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Namek-jin Arse posted:

...Mega Man 8 was really different, but it was also a pile of boring poo poo

You're wrong and anyone who disagrees with me is obviously a blithering idiot and if you don't get that then you obviously aren't a real fan of the glorious Rock Man (Or Mega Man as you amerika-jin might call him.) :smug:

Is that over the top? I can never tell.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Orcasword posted:

That's because the mavericks in X6 are so forgettable.

X5 is easier what with the whole stupid "Guns 'n' Roses" thing.

Still.

THE SKIVER.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Fantasy Tripe posted:

(though that might actually be just cause they both got the samurai style head ornaments).

Yeah, I just think it's a general style.

Other connections are legit, though.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Yeah, to me, that was really epitomized with the metool disguised as a 1up in Wily's Castle. Spoilered because it's a great moment. If someone hasn't played through Wily's Castle in 9 yet, seriously, don't read the spoiler.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Gammatron 64 posted:

You'd be surprised how many people think ...that Zero is a girl

Let's be honest, this is completely understandable.

Anyway, has HideOfBeasts' channel been posted yet? He does minimalist no-damage runs of the Mega Man games, and for being youtube LPs, they're well done and the commentary is usually decent enough that you don't mind keepin it on (but he provides commentary free runs if that's more your thing.) Seeing him make mincemeat of the insane bullshit in Megaman X6 using unarmored X without taking damage is god damned amazing. Seriously, watch this run through Ground Scaravich's stage. He mentioned taking over 100 tries to get through the stage, and he only gets past one specific section 12 times.

He also has a decent sense of humor.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 30, 2011

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Fuckin' Hell, I thought that was too good to be a youtube LPer, but I thought "you know what, maybe Youtube has come along a bit and picked up some decent players." Nope, of course SA spawned the obsessive-compulsive fucker.

Godspeed. :911:

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly Dead Rising 2.5 was the one that really put me over the edge. I can understand DLC. I can even *kind of* understand rereleasing SSF4 instead of just making DLC if just because it makes sure everyone is playing the same version of the game. Kind of. Dead Rising 2.5 being a disc release instead of DLC is just ridiculous.

I'm pretty sure SSFIV was necessary because the original wasn't programmed to be able to accept big rear end title updates (that included roster changes and what have you). This is why AE was recently released as DLC.

I think the price point for Dead Rising 2.5 is a little high, but I don't really see a lot of difference between it and Devil May Cry 3: SE. A new disk is fine. I'd hate to be a publisher, because I think that's a pretty rapid loving shift. A generation ago, people were saying that DMC3: SE was god-damned amazing. Now Dead Rising 2.5 is happening and people are saying that Capcom obviously has no idea about the market. That's a big, rapid change in expectations.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

The art has a lot of the problems that HDR was facing. The animation and the game simply weren't designed with HD sprites in mind, so having to fit the HD graphics into the same sprite set is leading to some...really weird looks.

Places where they don't have to swap sprites look fine. Armored Armadillo and Sting Chameleon look pretty bitchin.

EDIT: Oh, or it's just a filter, in which case it also looks like rear end. I still maintain the maverick select screen looks decent, though.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Dec 9, 2011

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

skipThings posted:

... that Robotmasters like Hardman and Snakeman were once again build to actually do something else then sit in a room and wait for Megaman.

wait, you got this flipped, right? What on earth is Snake Man good for?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Coming up with ridiculous robot masters/mavericks was a lot better before Capcom pried they can outdo anyone with "Infinity Mijinion." really? A Flea?

EDIT: I forgot how ugly was sprite was, too.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 7, 2012

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

I know no one cares about the plot, but why are the good doctors Light and Cossack? Where's Cain?

Edit: oh, I guess he's dead. But isn't Volnutt on the moon?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

So in MM vs. SF, we have:

Ryu
Chun
Blanka
Dhalsim
Rose
Rolento

Anyone else I'm missing? Seeing those last two in there was a real surprise - after all, there were originally 8 world warriors, but with the two alpha fighters in there, I really don't know who to call for the last 2. Gief is super iconic, but I don't know how he could be that interesting to fight.

That being said the four Wily bosses should be Sagat, Bison, Gill, and Seth, and if its anyone else in any other order I'll be very disappointed. :colbert:

EDIT:

Alteisen posted:

Any stage that doesn't involve platforming in an MM game is usually complete poo poo.

JUMP! JUMP! SLIDE! SLIDE!

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

About vehicle levels always sucking, I think the motorbike level in X4 was pretty solid.

Also 8 gets a pass for having special animations for boss weaknesses. I mean, come on, Clown Man gets tangled up in his own arms, how :haw: is that!

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Ryoshi posted:

Then they added Box Art Mega Man to SFxT and made his ending a joke about whining about Legends 3. If that doesn't strike you as kind of a dick move then I don't know what to tell you.

Bad Box Art Megaman is the best thing in SFxT, though. And that's not even a "SFxT is a lovely game" joke, I legitimately think that it was a great way to include the character while keeping true to the "everyone is ugly" thing they have going on in that game.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Hexmage-SA posted:

...Why is this everyone's favorite Mega Man game again?

Metal Blade.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

The Human Crouton posted:

Did you somehow manage to play through MM8 without playing through Clown Man, Sword Man, Aqua Man, and especially Astro Man's levels?

What didn't you like about Sword Man's levels? I don't even remember a lot about the others, aside from Clown Man's being pretty boring, but I thought Sword Man had a decent level that was different from the usual without feeling like I was playing a different game. You know, like with the side scrolling shooter levels.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Mister Roboto posted:

Like, if they had made him immortal and then tortured him for life and he broke out, that'd make for something compelling. I could see people being vengeful enough to actually DO that.

This was basically what started the plot in The Mummy.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

I like this guy. He's droll and sluggish in his speech, but that somehow makes what he's saying all the more entertaining.

If you don't want to watch all of them, watch the Ground Scaravitch in the same run. The problem with top tier runs like that is that they have a tendency to make the game look laughably easy. Scaravitch's stage looks completely impossible, then Violen does it anyway.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 10, 2013

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

I think I read it here, but props to whoever said that Vanquish feels like the good 3D Megaman game we never got. Dashing and bullets everywhere, bosses that rely on pattern recognition. I could easily have seen it as a Megaman game with a few tweaks - pick up boss weapons rather than whatever is laying around is the big one, but it captures the feeling of being the legendary warrior in a super chaotic environment that I always felt was Megaman at its best.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Gortarius posted:

I'm down to one robot master in mega man revolution, but gently caress this game. I was already halfway through the stage and then mega man floats off the screen.

Sounds like a shout out to me! :v:

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

What the heck is Bomb Man's stage? Its like he took over the World's Fair towers.

Generic future city. It's the nice part of town, though, not the slums like Cut Man's stage.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

I just picked up the Megaman Zero Collection in preparation for a transcontinental flight. I haven't played any of the Zero games except 1, which I played on a friend's afterburner'ed GBA back when it first came out. :getin:

Anything I should know going in? Is easy mode like the MM10 easy mode, where it basically removes all challenge from the game? I don't have an instruction manual, and I won't have the internet, so anything helps. :)

EDIT: looking at the wikipedia page for the MMZ series:

quote:

A new addition to the franchise is the presence of elemental weapons; in every game except Zero 4, Zero gains three element chips that can be attached to any of his weapons. Doing so adds elemental effects to his attacks and allows him to use them to attack bosses' weak points for massive damage.

Hell yes, 8 year old internet memes.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Simply Simon posted:

recipes for upgrades

Ha ha, I had no idea that poo poo existed. I just saved a recipe list to my phone, because god do I hate crafting things.

Thanks for the warnings against Easy Mode. It's not like I'm playing this for the plot, I'll have plenty of time to clear hard stuff.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Gammatron 64 posted:

Gameplay wise, I think 3D Mega Man third person shooter should take cues from Vanquish by giving Mega Man a means to dash \ slide and get around quickly, and Vanquish also feels like a throwback to games like Mega Man and Contra as it often has huge bosses that are practically out of the 16-bit era. While platforming is often less of an emphasis in 3D games, I still think there should still be some in there.

The comparison's been made before (probably by you, in this thread), but its really spot on. If someone changed the skin to make the ARS suit in the game look like X's Armor, I don't think anyone would bat an eye. Assuming they removed the "smoke a cigarette" button. :v:

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Yeah, looks like this person on Etsy makes them. It says only one available, but there're more in their history.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

8 is good because Clown Man is the best robot master.

Seriously, the special animations for the bosses getting hit with their weaknesses were fine, but Clown Man's was hilarious.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Yeah if you don't prefer the GnR names then you hate fun.

SQUID ADLER

IZZY GLOW

Boxman fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Electromax posted:

gently caress this sled part of Wily 1 in MM8.

I had trouble with the last jump until I figured out if you fire Astro crush while you’re jumping on the sled you just float.