Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'm crying that Mega Maker isn't going to exist before I can download it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I asked in the MegaMaker discord and didn't see an answer - the game seems to reset its volume settings every time a new song starts playing (changing screens, etc.) and it's pretty dang loud. Anyone have any ideas how to get around that?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Lurdiak posted:

Turn down the volume in Windows' sound mixer.

That's what I meant, it resets it back to half-max. There's no in-game volume options.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Eopia posted:

So what's the ETA on Mega Maker being shut down by Capcom anyway?

they seem pretty confident that they're safe since allegedly capcom really only shuts down fan projects that are making a profit or are NSFW

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Larryb posted:

Speaking of Megaman-esque games, is that new puzzle based Shovel Knight game that recently came out any good?

I like it a lot, but it's very much an action-puzzle game and really only Shovel Knight-adjacent in brand only.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Levels are grids (10x10 I think?), with roughly a fourth of the bottom filled with enemies and blocks at the start of the round. You move your character around the grid and bump into enemies to deal damage, generally eating a counterattack in the process. A simple example:

Shovel knight [you] - 5 health, 1 damage
Beetl [enemy] - 2 health, 1 damage

If SK bumped into a Beetl you'd each take 1 damage, so SK would be at 4/5 and the Beetl would have 1/2. Enemies who die don't counter you though, so if you bumped them again you'd still be at 4/5 but the Beetl would disappear.

The main trick here is that enemies of the same type who are orthogonally adjacent all get hit when you hit any enemy of that group, but only the one you actually bumped into counters you. So with the above Beetl example, if there was a line of four Beetls you'd destroy all of them on your second bump and still be at 4/5 health. So a lot of the game is setting up chains/groups since enemies are constantly spawning from the top of the screen and "falling" toward the bottom as that gives both the most gems (used to buy mid-run boosts and a small number of meta-progression things) and also minimizes the number of times you have to bump into enemies to remove them from the map. And a level ends when a certain threshold of enemies are defeated and an exit door will spawn that you have to open.

There's a bunch of different enemy types, like Skeletons have 4 health and deal 2 damage. Then there's weirder ones, like some enemies might be immune to attacks from one side, or get knocked around the map when you bump into them (making it harder to make groups), or leave hazardous squares when they die. There's also a good number of characters with different gimmicks - Shovel Knight spawns more potions on the map (heals you for 2 HP) and deals extra damage to groups of enemies, Specter Knight heals when he kills enemies but takes damage from potions, King Knight has a charge-type attack that does extra damage the further you move but has recoil, etc.

It definitely emphasizes the "action" part of "action-puzzle", but I would have a much easier time recommending it to someone who liked Puyo, Lumines, or Necrodancer than someone who liked Shovel Knight or Mega Man (though ideally you'd like both).

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Larryb posted:

Interesting, I might give it a try then. Who’s the best character gameplay wise in your opinion?

I'm still missing a handful but I think Shield Knight (less max HP, gains a damage shield when she kills a group of 3+) and Specter Knight are my favorites so far. Shield Knight feels hard to lose with once you understand the game and play to her strengths, meanwhile Specter Knight breaks pretty fundamental rules of the game and needs you to completely rewire your priorities. Shovel Knight himself is probably my third favorite and does a good job avoiding the "default character = boring" cliche.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
You unlock characters from playing but it's generally a pretty fast process. Which ties into your second question - you unlock characters (with a few exceptions) by beating them in boss fights. There's a story but it's basically "SK and friends get trapped in the titular Pocket Dungeon".

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I can't blame your son for not wanting the unpleasant memories, but X3's OST is honestly what keeps me coming back to what is otherwise a mediocre entry. Gravity Beetle and Toxic Seahorse have the two best themes in the trilogy for me

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Like 70% of the robots in the X series could be vtuber avatars today and no one would bat an eye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Schwarzwald posted:

You cannot tell me that half the friendly NPCs in the Zero and ZX games were not developer OCs.

i mean by definition...