Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Can't wait for MM10. I really liked 9, really felt like I was a kid again and playing a Megaman game! That feeling of setting a brand new list of bosses, not knowing which levels to do first and what's ahead of me, it's a feeling I hadn't experienced for a long time!

I agree that the newer games just don't work...the controls are never as "tight" and they try to add too much unnecessary poo poo. I never liked the excess of poo poo in the X games, all of this boosting, wall hugging, scanning...it worked for the game but it seemed to make the core series too bloated.

I like how detractors of the retro style say that they want a modern update, when we list off games where it didn't work well they just say something like "well, those games weren't that good, but they could do better"! Yeah, like Capcom intentionally made those games bad or something, they've tried and it just doesn't work! The 8-bit series is really the gold standard for Megaman, it has perfect controls, plays well, and is fairly balanced. I'd rather have a retro game that I'll enjoy playing than some souped up crap that has no soul. Really, Megaman is the poster game for one that keeps trying to innovate and stay relevant despite all flaws, but people usually just complain that they're not the Megaman experience that we want. How ironic that after years of trying to push the series forward, we've come full circle with Capcom realizing exactly why we used to like Megaman games.

Megaman should never be a 3D-based game, just think of all of the problems that could potentially come across (and likely would) that will never occur in a 2D game. Legends was fantastic because they realized that it wouldn't work, and went in a completely different direction that fit the game style.

Original_Z fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Dec 13, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I loved how there was so much talk from the devs how this will be the definitive version and make old collections obsolete and we'll never need another version of the game. There was even one of the devs posting here about how it's going to blow our mind and how even the 3DS version will have lots of awesome stuff.

Yeah, about that...

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

ChaosArgate posted:

A few quotes from the guy in charge:

I wonder why this guy stopped posting in the thread when it finally came out.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Also the fact that he was so arrogant that MN9 would be a classic and signed deals with an animation collaboration and other merchandise certainly didn't help while the game was being delayed year after year. Then the whole Red Ash debacle again which also launched with an anime kickstarter since obviously it'll become another franchise (ironically that got funded but not the game). He put the cart before the horse, he should have focused on making sure the game was fantastic and use that goodwill into expanding into other projects and licensing with the fanbase supporting him. Instead he ended up disgraced.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Capcom has announced a megaman-themed miniconsole that also has Street Fighter 2 games:

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/11/capcoms_releasing_a_mini-arcade_system_packed_with_mega_man_and_street_fighter_games

Eh, seems kind of overpriced and pointless?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Didn't the Capcom leaks show a new megaman game planned in the near future?