Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

With Mega Man 10's recent announcement, I feel a Mega Man discussion thread is in order. I'll go with the format of the successful Zelda thread.

In the year of 1987, a super franchise named Mega Man was created. Its said that Capcom originally wanted to make an Astro Boy game, but couldn't get the rights, so they went ahead and made their own property instead. The series probably has more sequels and spin offs than Zelda and Mario combined. The main series is approaching its tenth installment, 11 games in the X series, 4 in the Zero series, 2 in the ZX series, and 2 in the Legends series. Unlike the Zelda franchise, there is a mostly logical timeline. There are of course, other spin offs in other universes and such like the Battle Network games.

Most Mega Man games follow the same basic formula. Defeat 8 Robot Masters, steal their powers, and defeat Dr. Wily. What sets Mega Man apart from other games at the time was the ability to play through the Robot Master's stages in any order. Each Robot Master is weak to another Robot Master's power, so the goal was to figure out the best order to go through the game with.

Edit: Spikes kill you in one it. Don't touch them.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 12, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Characters:
Mega Man

Our hero, Mega Man (also known as Rockman) is basically a janitor robot, called to duty to save humanity from the evil Dr. Wily. He has a mega buster used to blow poo poo up.

Dr. Light

Raped Sue Dibney and was lobotomized by Zatanna, this eventually lead to the downfall of the Justice League when Batman...wait, wrong Dr. Light.

Dr. Thomas Light

Creator of Mega Man. His goal is to preserve the utopian society in which the game takes place. His arch rival is...

Dr. Albert Wily

Dr. Wily the series's antagonist. He may not be as menacing as Ganondorf, but at least he's got a better personal trainer than Dr. Robotnik. Now, if only he could balance his budget.

Protoman

Mega Man's mysterious brother. Is he good? Is he evil? Is he a jerk? Nobody knows.

Rush

Flying dog.

Next: Mega Man 1.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Phenotype posted:

I actually prefer the 8-bit gameplay, but I wish to god that they put SNES L-R weapon swap in Mega Man 10. It's a pain in the rear end having to pause every time, and that's just an accessibility feature, really.

I really like using the wiimote as an NES controller, but I wouldn't be opposed to weapon swap if they mapped it to the wiimote's A and B buttons.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Tallgeese posted:

Also that Dr. Light is a Texan.

Holy crap. This explains why Dr. Light's songs by The Protomen have that western feel to them.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Merkinman posted:

Why do you say 11 games in the X series, but only 10 of the original? Are you counting games things like Xtreme, but not the GB Mega man ones? How about the Mega Man & Bass, or the Power Battles, Soccer?

I was taking a look at what Wikipedia said. I don't know much about the X games, honestly. I wasn't even gonna begin to count the other spin off games.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Strange Matter posted:

This would seem to be the correct thread to post a link to the Protomen website.

For my part, I've been grinding through 9 for the past month. God drat that's a hard game but every minor victory is like the second coming of the lord.

I'm gonna do a whole write up on these guys, I just wanna do reviews of the first few games beforehand. They're easily one of my favorite bands.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I have made an amendment to the OP.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

mathaeis posted:

Since someone mentioned The Protomen, I'm going to have to mention some completely awesome guys: The Megas (http://www.myspace.com/themegas - my personal favorite is "The Annihilation of Monsteropolis").

Also, while I grew up playing the original series since the first one, I also think that the good X games are certainly near perfect. I really wish they didn't make as many bad ones as they did, though. I own all of them, but haven't beaten anything since 5 because of how terrible they were. I hear X8 fixed a lot of stuff, but after 7 I just didn't give enough of a drat to play it at the time. Not sure why I bought it at the time, but I guess I'll give it a shot in the future at some point?

The Megas are decent. Their vocalist isn't very good and they need someone better to write their lyrics, but the arrangement is drat good. I'm gonna say Monsteropolis is their best song. It can be downloaded for free at Overclocked Remix.
http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR01687/
I like the concept of their album. Each song is about a different Robot Master from Mega Man 2, but I wish they put more thought into the lyrics. Most of them are just angry/depressed. Would have been more creative to make each Robot Master represent a different emotion or something. Also, the album order is a bit arbitrary. Would have been clever if they put them in the weakness order.

They're no Protomen, but they grew on me.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Sockerbagarn posted:

It kinda reminds me of the Star Wars A New Hope art.

Totally.

Someone at Overclocked Remix also pointed out Tron:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

RipVTide posted:

OK not cool you did not just call the Mega Man I-V spin off games.

I was referring to Mega Man Soccer, Power Battles, Battle Network, ect.

MokBa posted:

You know Detective No. 27, I started my Zelda thread with a Question avatar, and look what happened to it. Maybe a kickass Mega Man avatar is in your future!

I was considering on doing this exact thing on payday.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Let's start at the beginning.

Mega Man

This is the boxart that launched one of Capcom's biggest franchises.

Released in 1987 on the NES, since its the first game, it only has six Robot Masters. Mega Man would later be remade for PSP, with two new Robot Masters, a level creator, and playable Protoman and Roll. It is also now available on Virtual Console.

Story:
Dr. Wily reprograms Dr. Light's robots in a plot to take over the world. Its up to Mega Man to suit up and stop him.

Thoughts:
Mega Man games are notorious for being difficult, but I'm gonna say it here, I think this one's the hardest for me. Gutsman's stage murders me. Mega Man 1 was never really one of my favorites, but like The Legend of Zelda, I can see how it influences everything else in the franchise. Powered Up is an alright game. I can’t for the life of me figure out how they got away with Oil Man.

(Please don’t turn this into a GBS race thread.)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Vander posted:

OP, Do you think you could talk a little more about the bosses in your game updates? Except for 2,3, and X1-3, I haven't a clue what megaman had to fight to win those games.

Good job otherwise so far though!

You got it. I'm by no means an expert on the series, so I'll be pulling a lot of this from Gamefaqs. If anyone knows any better methods and strategies, feel free to correct me.

Mega Man (1) Robot Masters!

Suggested order:

Bomb Man
Guts Man
Cut Man
Elec Man
Ice Man
Fire Man

Wily Castle bosses

Rock Monster:
Weakness: Thunder Beam

Clone Mega Man:
Weakness: None.

Bubble Machine:
Weakness: None.

Dr. Wily:
Weakness: Thunder Beam and Rolling Cutter

I don't know if I should spoil a 20+ year old game.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

^^You can't shoot while time's frozen. If your meter is full when you use it on Quick Man, it will kill him.

mathaeis posted:

edit: I always thought this was a pretty cool video: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/183276

That video brings me back. Although, there was no charge shot in MM2.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hmm, maybe I'm just misremembering it then. Or I had an E Tank last time I fought him.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Gabriel Pope posted:

It was vaguely entertaining, but even though it was a pretty good lovely cartoon you can't deny that it was a lovely cartoon. The animation budget seemed to consist of whatever loose change the producers could dig out from under their couch cushions.
as opposed to the stellar animation of the original.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Dr. Light's from Texas. Yosemite Sam would have been a more appropriate voice for him.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I didn't know there were so many Hayadain videos. And he has some for the Robot Masters, but Metal Man's stands out.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Well, at least Mega Man Vollnut as put into Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom, so he's not forgotten.

Speaking of which, I was at a used book/music/game store yesterday, and they had a copy of The Misadventures of Tronne Bonne for $85. Is the game really that rare? Is it a good game?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I need a high res vesion of that. Now.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Perfect.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Benson Cunningham posted:

Not enough Protomen Act II love in this thread, so I am using my turn to post a link.

The Hounds
This song is about Wiley turning on the robots and taking over the city, after ousting Dr. Light. If you don't like it, something is wrong with you.

Hell yes. Although Keep Quiet is my favorite on the album.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgk1qlJrxlE

There is just so much to this album its crazy. I hear something new every time I listen to it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Where the hell do I buy these!?!?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm sold on whatever this ends up being. The ending slayed me.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Full Battle Rattle posted:

That guy's going to get the world's biggest cease and desist letter.

If Mega Man were a Square Enix property, yeah. Capcom actually supports fanmade stuff. This video was actually posted on their blog sometime last year. They also posted about The Protomen's new album when it came out.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Mega Man Universe can't come out soon enough.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

And is punching himself in the face.

Did you make this, and if so, is there a higher res, I want to use it as my background.

Sorry, I'm not talented enough to do something that.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The X series has a pretty awesome 80s dystopian feel to it until it got all anime.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Drox posted:

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

MEGA MAN

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

MEGA MAN

That one?

I remember watching this on UPN in the early morning before school. Good times. :allears:
The Megas did a good cover. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPWkPukU67k

Speaking of Battle Network, I rather liked it. I only played Battle Network 2 and I had a blast. Really fun battle system.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Here's some awesome Protomen fanart.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Can someone clarify how a MML3 is in development and hasn't yet been greenlighted?

I am really sad about MMU being cancelled. :smith:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Has a producer ever April Fool'd about a game being cancelled before? I don't know anything about the Japanese stock market or whatever, but it doesn't seem like a good business idea to joke about cancelling a game.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Mister Roboto posted:

:smith: Don't ruin Dr. Light, he's one of the few video game heroes who still is portrayed as kindly and benevolent and never had A Dark Side.

Dr. Light is from Texas and has an amazing singing voice.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

So apparently a prototype version of Mega Man Legends 3 will be available on the Nintendo 3DS eShop when it launches.
http://www.destructoid.com/nintendo-eshop-kicks-off-with-mega-man-legends-3-199316.phtml

Destructoid posted:

Mega Man Legends 3: Prototype Version will be a launch title for the Nintendo eShop when it opens. Capcom's open-world adventure Mega Man title was co-developed by fans, and this launch title will serve as an early look at the game. A release says that once you finish the core missions you'll receive access to areas of the game not yet finished. You'll also get access to a debug menu that gives you special moves and abilities. You'll be testing this game like a boss!

Once you've played the game, Capcom wants your feedback to be submitted at capcom-unity.com/devroom. They want you to be a little Servbot.

http://www.destructoid.com/nintendo-eshop-kicks-off-with-mega-man-legends-3-199316.phtml

There's even a video available.
http://www.destructoid.com/check-out-mega-man-legends-3-prototype-version-in-video-199320.phtml

The video seems to focus on this "Barret" character. He seems to be the Protoman/Zero type character from what I can guess.

Now, releasing it on eShop looks to be a sort of beta. Will they charge for it? Will it be free for a limited time? I hate waiting on news about news.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Am I the only man on Earth who loved the new Bionic Commando?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm actually kinda optimistic about the sales of the beta. It's not like the beta is coming out a few years after the eShop has been out. Everyone's gonna update their 3DS firmware, checkout what's on the newly opened eShop and see a few Gameboy games, DSiWare, and the MML3 beta.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I was chatting with The Commander of The Protomen after their show in Phoenix last year. I asked him if they'll ever do an album based on Mega Man X. You know what he said to me?

"gently caress Mega Man X."

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Penguissimo posted:

I'll join the pile-on here and criticise the engineering on their albums too. I have no idea if their lyrics are any good, because the singer is almost always buried by over-compressed drums and cymbals.

Did you listen to Father of Death? The production values are much better.

I love The Megas too. They're not as good as The Protomen, but they're still pretty fun.

"No one in this world can understand who I am. That is why I'm my own biggest fan."

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Mr. Maltose posted:

Did anybody think that maybe Commander was making a joke when he said that? Just possibly?

I don't think he did. I don't remember the events of the night perfectly, but he seemed pretty genuine.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Where can you get the X figure? Does it have msny of points of articulation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

I'm pretty sure Nintendo said the same thing about Mother 3 and that had a fanbase that still won't quit.
Capcom is just a bunch of pig fuckers.

If those Project Rainfall guys are successful I am going to be so pissed.