Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I believe you do need to have full EVERYTHING to get the Hadoken. Use your supercharged X-buster to clear out the enemies. Due to the game's lag, you can in fact keep the burst going in front of you for a considerable amount of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Orcasword posted:

I can't get it to work on a Mac at all?

Sure, assuming you're using an Intel Mac, go use VMWare/Parallels/Bootcamp.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Bionic Commando cabinet! :swoon:

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Those Crash Man and Heatman themes in those videos are really rocking. I mean, that's some outright rock and roll. Feels like they got Uematsu and buddies to get the Black Mages together to do Mega Man tracks.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Bionic Commando. :(

(and that answer is far more complex than its two words belie)

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Detective No. 27 posted:

Am I the only man on Earth who loved the new Bionic Commando?

No, I loved it, save for a few bits (the ending, collectibles being "missable."). It's an otherwise good game marred by a few poor decisions. I've sold many people on it based on my LP of it.

quote:

It seems to get a lot of flack for not being open world as well, but I think it did a nice job translating the original's "use the arm to navigate a linear area filled with horrible deathtraps" concept to a 3D space. Would've loved to see Grin get a second shot at it, but oh well.

Yes, that is what the 3D game is and what the original was. Navigating a series of deathtraps is an apt way of describing the Bionic Commando series.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 22, 2011

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
I would take the unpopular opinion that Mega Man X is actually the best Mega Man game ever made.

Even better than MM2.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Through a series of blunders, mistakes, and out-and-out greed, Capcom has gone from one of my favorite developers to the second lowest on my totem pole (above Squenix). It's kinda sad, really - there's a lot of cool people who work for Capcom, their bosses just suck.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

RickoniX posted:

Does anyone else have a problem using a TE and the game reading a constant left input?

Yes. No clue why it's doing this.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Mega Man 2 had memorable stages, bosses, music, and weapons. The game sure as hell isn't perfect but the fun factor really outweighs the two or three things that are extremely annoying about it, and no game is free form those couple of really annoying things.

Mega Man 3 is probably the better overall game in terms of actual mechanics and play (Mega Man really needed the slide) and Mega Man 3 has less "out there" stage decisions in terms of screwing over the player. But it also started the bullshit of extending the game for no real good reason (Doc Robot).

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

senae posted:

But doc robot was actually really cool and interesting (its just too bad you couldn't get mm2 weapons from them).

Doc Robot was fun, yeah, but after playing Mega Man 4 where there were completely new fortress stages instead of reused assets made it look like "Oh man, the game's a bit too short, what can we do to make it longer?" and we were pretty lucky that it worked out to be fun. A bunch of other games afterwards didn't fare so well.

quote:

It's not, go play MegaMan X1.

Yeah, MMX is my favorite Mega Man game. It's about as close to perfection that you can get for a Mega Man game.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Pureauthor posted:

Extra boss fights and redesigned stages aren't a good enough reason to extend a game?

This is more of a hindsight thing, but I guess I prefer to have new stages actually be "new stages." The Mega Man X method of 'revisit earlier stages to get new powerups that you couldn't get before" seems preferable but then that starts to get abused too.

quote:

Most of those came with a tradeoff of a smaller Wily Fortress, though.

That is true.

quote:

The Wily stages of Mega Man 2 throw a lot of unfair challenges requiring limited-use special weapons without giving you a way to restore them if you need to try more than once (or if you'd used them during the Wily stages at all). I feel like this is a fair criticism; I've played through and beaten every Zero series game, so I'm not just whining about difficulty.

It's a very fair criticism, if Capcom was going to make a Mega Man Powered Up 2, this'd be the first thing they'd fix.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Panic Restaurant posted:

The Shantae games they've made are really good, as is the Adventure Time game. I'd certainly like to see their take on a Mega Man game. Treasure is another company I'd love to see give the series a shot.

A Boy and his Blob was pretty rad, though it's one place where a Super Guide would have helped. Without that feature, the devs just made the game really easy / hints in your face. With a Super Guide, it could have been hard and if you wanted to use the guide, well, it would have been there instead of the overload of hints.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
It's pretty tough to top X1, though. None of the tracks are stinkers and it's all iconic stuff.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
I'll buy Bionic Commando. :v:

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
I'll put in some cash but only if I get full control of Bionic Commando. :v:

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jun 17, 2014

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
I've always been of the "X1 is the best MMX game" camp, even though I thoroughly enjoy X2. I think it's because I can't really pick out any flaws in MMX1, aside from perhaps not giving you the dash by default, which limits the order you want to play in. The art is great, the music has no clunkers, the mavericks are all distinctive, Sigma's fortress is a great series of levels that require you to use all of your mastery. X2 was more of the same and on the same bar of quality, which is fine, but I'm interested in the thoughts behind something like this:

quote:

X1 feels a little janky once you take away the points everyone seems to give it for being The First

Not because I want to say "No, Dabir is wrong," because you can't really be right or wrong on this stuff, but more because I like hearing people's reasons.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
I can totally buy those as legit design complaints.

quote:

It has a really good selection of weapons. Arguably too good in places. Storm Tornado is so absurdly powerful that it is basically Metal Blade territory and the charged Rolling Shield on top of that makes you basically immortal. This isn't so much a complaint as such since I think a good Mega Man game has good weapons but X's are almost absurdly good at times. I think they even made Storm Tornado fire faster in Maverick Hunter X for additional hilarious power.

They are absurdly good, but that makes the game more fun and you more likely to use the subweapons instead of the buster all the time.

Speaking of the Buster, I've always preferred X1's pink phase over the later game's supercharged busters. It has the back shield, which is very helpful, and the shotgun-like spray of fire is great against a group of enemies. If one dies, it doesn't absorb all the power and the remainder just carries on. That's one place where the later games take a step back for me, IMO.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Powered Up was ahead of its time. If it came out a few years later when digital distribution was a thing, it would have sold a lot better, I think.

Same goes for Maverick Hunter X.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
The obvious counterpoint to that is Mega Man X1.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Yeah, agreeing with that assessment on MM2R. I like some of the tracks, but there was some missed opportunities. If anyone could make Wily 3-4 suck less, it's him, and unfortunately he didn't really do much with it.

He didn't screw anything up - the main Robot Master tracks all sound pretty good, but it just didn't seem like a whole new way of listening to the music like MM3R was.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
The X collection fixed the controller problem but it doesn't work with component cables.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Gammatron 64 posted:

The X1 charge shot is the coolest, because it's like a DNA double helix. It's way super cool.

The double helix of shots plus the back shield makes X1 the best. Gimme the back shield over the double shot any day. It's great versus lots of weak enemies or one really big one.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
I'll just make my own not-Bionic Commando with blackjack and hookers. I'm sure that'll work out well.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Pretty much every Capcom franchise except Bionic Commando. :negative:

Still I've been waiting for Ryu to shoryuken Dr. Wily. It's the thing I never knew I wanted.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Shine posted:

Bionic Commando: Rearmed was the poo poo. I never played the sequel but I heard it sucked.

BC:R2 had its faults but was otherwise enjoyable for me, as a fan of the series.

BC 2009 was, well, something else. The swinging gameplay is wicked fun once it's mastered, but it's wrapped up in such a broken plot that it can be tough to stomach.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

BexGu posted:

The worst part of that final level is that it would have been AMAZING if the whole thing was not a QTE. Swinging from missile to missile, taking out baddies along the way, it would have been a even more fun then the end to Just Cause 2.

The Just Cause 2 ending was basically a riff on BCR2's penultimate stage anyway. :v:

KennyMan666 posted:

BCR2 is fun, despite adding a jumping button and making the grappling more, idk... "casual". It's fun to speedrun thanks to a bunch of amusing glitches, such as grabbing items on the other side of solid walls and grappling yourself through the floor. BC2009 is also good, but yeah, that final QTE is meh. Groeder was the real final boss fight of the game.

The jump button wasn't what I had a problem with, the issue was the connect/disconnect requiring specific button presses. I can understand having a disconnect button but I hate that it was required, and it used momentum based distances for swings instead of the old "You always swing at this rate and fly this far when releasing." It messed with me fiercely. If I was coming at it new I probably would have liked it more, but 20 years of muscle memory just don't go away.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
So, has anyone tried 20XX? http://store.steampowered.com/app/322110/?snr=1_5_9__205

The video looks quite impressive for a not-Megaman.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Thanks. I will give it a shot!

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

WDIIA posted:

If this hasn't been posted in this thread yet it should be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s_QXnox4kk

We've had a good run of unique and different Wily 1-2's lately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW_sJZCW3FY

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
MM4 Remade was pretty good right up until the Cossack and Wily tracks. The Robot Masters all ranged from good to great (Dive Man in particular was the best). No obvious clunkers, but some strange arrangement choices in the Wily/Cossack levels. There's nothing there as inventive as MM3's Boss Rush, but then again MM4's boss music is pretty lame compared to 2 and 3. Overall the boss tracks are average.

I think the tack he took with the Wily stages in MM3R is the way to go (a traditional arrangement and a different one for the repeat). He basically did that with Cossack 1 and 2, except the second one is the more traditional one. Cossack 3 seemed like it went traditional right up until that wacky middle bit. I'm not as put off by it as Captain Invictus, but it is definitely way out of left field for something that sounded like a traditional Konami-esque update. Cossack 4... not sure where he was going with that. It's supposed to be suspenseful but it falls completely on its face. It doesn't work at all.

Wily Stage 1 and 2... completely underwhelming, and that's one of my favorite MM4 tracks. Wily stage 3 has too much wub-wub and the melody is just lost with all the junk going on, again, one of my favorite tracks that just falls apart. Wily 4? No loving idea what he was doing there. Even Wily Capsule isn't immune to the melody fighting with all the wacky wub-wubs in the background. It feels more Commodore SID and not Konami.

Looking back at MM2R, he blew every opportunity to enhance short tracks (the password theme is bafflingly rearranged while the stage select theme is just short, and the less said about Get Weapon the better). Without the Doc Robot levels to try something more inventive, he mixes the inventive things in with the regular tracks and sometimes it works (Air Man) and sometimes it doesn't (Flash Man), but overall the Robot Masters were OK. Nothing great, but mostly listenable. Wily Stage 1 and 2 come out pretty well, and I like the Wily stage Boss remix. But Wily 3 and 4 are, as in the original, complete wastes of time. I do believe there's something good that can be wrought out of that tune, but both his traditional (wily 3) and experimental versions (wily 4) are wastes of time. Wily 5 is the best of the three, but that's not saying much. There's just no stellar tracks except for Wily 1 and that's because he didn't deviate too much from the original. There's also no boss rush compilation, which was one of the best bits of MM3R.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Captain Invictus posted:

He's a one-hit wonder, made one stellar album and the rest are mediocre at best

Yeah, that's fair.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Some tidbits about the new cartoon in an article about distribution rights. With an actual picture!

quote:

Aimed at kids 6 to 9, as well as their parents who grew up loving the videogames, the animated series will feature exciting new technologies and robots, as well as the introduction of Mega Man’s alter-ego, Aki Light, a normal, upbeat, schoolboy robot. When activated, his skin re-forms – in a flurry of computer code and visual pyrotechnics – into a suit of impenetrable nanocore armor, including the iconic Mega Buster arm cannon and helmet. Beloved characters, like Rush, will return - while new characters, like Mega Mini™, will make their debut! The new Mega Man animated series has a target air date of 2017, coinciding with the franchise's 30th anniversary.

The new animated Mega Man series focuses on a normal, upbeat schoolboy robot, who discovers that deep within his programming lies secret protocols that can transform him into the powerful Mega Man. And, as the world’s first robotic super-hero, Mega Man must face the threats of Silicon City, while trying to preserve his secret identity and maintain a regular robot boy life.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Ah yes, old friend Ben Judd. I was wondering what happened to him. You might remember him as producer of such video games as Bionic Commando 2009.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

It's a screw-on lid.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

al-azad posted:

The great thing about Wily and Eggman was how much they got along. It's usual for crossovers to pair the villains but have them at each other's throats as they fight to prove who's the biggest badass but Wily and Eggman find a common bond in their love for themed fortresses, terrible names, and bad facial hair.

In fact the reason they split is because Doctor Wily doesn't actually want to destroy the world, he wants to be in charge and be recognized as an equal to Light, whereas Eggman wants to blow everything up. Wily may be a self-centered prick, but he knows you can't run a giant robot business if nobody is around to buy your stuff. It was a very realistic way for that to happen.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
The only reason I haven't written off the new show at all is because they cast Billy West as Dr. Wily and that's a fragment of "well, maybe there might be something there." That teaser didn't inspire any confidence, though. I'll judge it when actual episodes are out.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Specter of Torment is like Bionic Commando in that it has a high difficulty level up front due to offbeat/different mechanics but once you get it down it is super satisfying to play. It steals a lot from 2D Ninja Gaiden and improves it.

Definitely a lot more fun / likable to play than Plague of Shadows, which didn't do anything for me.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

At least Rad Spencer returns. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

TaurusOxford posted:

Too bad the lovely redesign is still his default look.

Yeah, I know, but I'm assuming Retro Skin will still be available.