Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Hi there BFC! Here are the rules. I think we've been pretty good at self-policing and I'd like to keep it that way, but if you have any ideas post them here and they will be weighed with the utmost consideration and care.

NEW RULES
  • If you ask for advice please make sure you are prepared to take that advice. DON'T CLOSE YOUR THREADS- someone else might have a related question. E/N rules apply to E/N posts.
  • When making a thread asking for advice, please include: your age, income, assets, debts, financial goals, and anything else that might relate to your situation. Make sure you read through the first couple of pages before posting - there are a lot of megathreads here that might be the best place to post your question.
  • The unofficial (completely unofficial, nothing official about this) discord link: https://discord.gg/Dfr7A6B Don't post about discord stuff here, don't import drama, don't ask us to moderate poo poo happening on discord.

OLD RULES

Megathread Links

quote:

Welcome to the new business and finance forum! Feel free to talk about all money-related matters in here, from stocks to starting up a business. Of course we're not liable for any information you read in here, so if you go bankrupt and get thrown in jail then it's your own fault!

Here are the rules. These are subject to change and mutate at any time:

These are BAD THINGS. You will get banned or put on probation for them:
  • No Pyramid Schemes.
  • No Referral Schemes.
  • No Ponzi Schemes.
  • No MLM's.
  • No "Matrix's".
  • No "Get Rich Quick" Bullshit. This includes some of the latest scammy referral schemes involving referring users to new stock or bank accounts for money. These are all pyramids or ponzis of one variety or another.
Here are the GOOD THINGS. You are encouraged to post about :
  • Affiliate Marketing, whether its your own site or big programs like CPAEmpire and Azoogle. If you're trying to get your foot into the door, affiliate marketing is the closest things out there to the lifeblood of the internet.
  • General Marketing advice for new businesses.
  • Internet Marketing, including Blogs, PPC, SEO, and other methods of promotion via the internet.
  • Stock Trading Tricks and Tips, whether it's Fundamental Analysis or Technical Analysis, we want to see some solid Stock advice threads!
  • Savings, Bonds, Money Markets, CD's, etc. How to properly store your money and get something in return.
  • Investments, whether they're in Real Estate, Hedge Funds, or even dropping money on other corps, we'd like to know what you think is hot or what you think is not.
  • Basic Financial Advice for those who need help balancing their checkbooks every month.
  • Job offers for those who need work.
  • Resume discussions and critiques.
  • Basic credit building or rebuilding advice.
  • Advice on Applying for any sort of credit, from Home Mortgages to Credit Cards.
  • Finally, anything and everything about corporation formation and effective uses of corporations both in the USA and overseas. If managed right, these can be very beneficial from a financial and legal standpoint.

moana fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.
I hate to be a snitch but could this thread get reopened please?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

scribe jones posted:

Done :)

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

So what, are you quitting to join Homo Explosion?
Just wondering, what's the status on the "all encompassing personal finance advice" thread. :allears: You know, where we always say pay your debts ranked by interest, max out your 401k, etc.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Triple Tech posted:

Just wondering, what's the status on the "all encompassing personal finance advice" thread. :allears: You know, where we always say pay your debts ranked by interest, max out your 401k, etc.
Not sure, I'll ask guaranteed when she thinks it'll be ready. We'll try to have it up in time for New Year's resolutions :shobon:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Can we get some kind of ruling about not making posts like the following (from Zaurg's thread):

quote:

Zaurg, send your child to daycare so someone with more responsibility can handle her for most of her day rather than you. Don't be selfish.

quote:

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if zaurg's "wife" and "child" are actually some poor family from across the street that keeps locked in the cellar while he prances around wearing the skin of the husband and father as a hat. At least that would put his emotional and intellectual deficiencies into some kind of context. Does it put the lotion on its skin, zaurg?

quote:

It's too bad having brain-dead parents isn't cause for taking away someone's kid. You know his kids are going to be morons too. It's a vicious cycle.

I don't know if Zaurg closed his thread or if a mod did after threatening to back on the 11th, but in my opinion attacking somebody's failure as a parent because they're not good with their money is crossing a line. I don't care if it's true, or if statistically it's likely to be the case, this is a forum for finances and financial advice.

I understand that people are trying to get him to 'see the light' but attacking his wife or child and saying terrible things about his family just isn't proper.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

The second one you posted got that poster probation already. If you have a problem with a post, that's what the report button is for. Use it or email/PM me.

I'll open the thread back up.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

scribe jones posted:

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

three posted:

this would be an awesome post if it were me who locked a thread :)

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

scribe jones posted:

this would be an awesome post if it were me who locked a thread :)
I was going for "I cant be banned for backseat-modding if I quote someone doing it successfully before."

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
I'd like to start a Sales & Marketing megathread, has this been done before?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Who knows? Go for it!

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Is there a thread for volunteering? I don't see one anywhere and I don't want to start one to ask a couple questions if I'm gonna look the fool if I've just overlooked it. :ohdear:

moana
Jun 18, 2005

I don't recall one off the top of my head, so go right ahead!

SystemAdminLios
Feb 22, 2007
Serial Poster ? I prefer " Social Intelligifier " .
Possibly a dumb question, but may I create a career advice thread about making a living as a songwriter/band? I noticed that there seems to be no thread containing this information.

Edit: Kool ! I am working on it now. Should be up within a day or two.

SystemAdminLios fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 16, 2011

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Do it!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Would this be a good place for a science industry chat/complain/network megathread?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

moana posted:

Do it!

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!
Is there anyone knowledgable enough to/interested in reopening the Canadian Tax Megathread. Us Canuck goons needs tax help too :(

Petrichor!
May 10, 2010
I don't know how much interest there is in opening the thread, but I have a whole lot of experience working with tax in Canada as a business student (Personal and Corporate). PM me if you need some help -- I'll give it my best!

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I have a question about my bank, but I'm not sure if this board would be the best to ask it. If it's not, could someone please point me towards the right board?

I had about $100 in late fees owed to a loan through Citizen's Bank. This is the same bank I have my checking account through.

Yesterday, the bank withdrew the $100 in late fees from my account and paid it towards the loan without notifying me or asking for my permission. I only found out today when I went to go purchase some stuff for dinner, and my card was declined.

Now, I have no other money. The loan is maxed out, so i cannot withdraw anything from it. That $100 was supposed to last me for another week and a half until my next pay day. I am now penniless and hungry to boot. Is there anything at all I can do to get my $100 back? My current plan of action is to go into the bank tomorrow and close everything I have with them down and take my money elsewhere, because this isn't the first time that Citizen's Bank has screwed me over in one way or another.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Just post your question in the Newbie thread. It's at the top of the page.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Will do.

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~
I'd like to make a "should I take this job?" post asking for advice. Would it be better off here or over in E/N?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

cuntvalet posted:

I'd like to make a "should I take this job?" post asking for advice. Would it be better off here or over in E/N?
We love financial E/N threads here, post away.

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~

moana posted:

We love financial E/N threads here, post away.

Posted it and got a lot of great insight and most importantly, peace of mind. Thank you!

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
What thread would I post in to ask about temp agencies? I'm specifically looking for advice on reliable ones in New York City, but I doubt it's worth its own thread.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Everybody gets one thread in BFC, go ahead and make it! I would also go and ask in the NYC thread in T&T since they might have a better idea of NYC-specific stuff.

Blackjack2000
Mar 29, 2010

Doing a quick look at the first couple of pages, I don't see a real estate megathread aside from the house buying thread. Is there also room for a investment property / rental / house flipping megathread?

Fraternite
Dec 24, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Blackjack2000 posted:

Doing a quick look at the first couple of pages, I don't see a real estate megathread aside from the house buying thread. Is there also room for a investment property / rental / house flipping megathread?

DO NEVER BUY

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Blackjack2000 posted:

Sure, go ahead, as long as it's informative you should be fine.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Would it be possible to get the newborn Linkedin job hunting thread added to the list in the OP?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Done.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I was about to ask if we could get a new Legitimate Online Moneymaking thread, but it turns out the link in the OP is just old. Would you mind updating it to http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3476455? That thread is a great resource.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
Would an Airbnb tell thread from the renters perspective fit best in this forum or T and T?

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

semicolonsrock posted:

Would an Airbnb tell thread from the renters perspective fit best in this forum or T and T?

FYI, I have an airbnb megathread in travel. Don't know that we need multiple threads in it, myself. Link under my avatar if you want to take a look.

Dead Pressed fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 1, 2014

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009
What happened to the thread about writing adult novels? Is it something I can buy archives and read again or is it just gone? Sorry to ask but I looked for it best I could.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

It was deleted due to drama, they made an offshoot site here: http://eroticauthorforum.com/

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

There was a thread about moving out of your parents house centered around renting and apartment hunting. Did it get purged? Anyone have the link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Are you thinking of Gooncave & Gardens?