Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Yes! That's the one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

What are the best "terrible with money" threads? I'm up to date on Slow Motion's and Knyteguy's and I want more.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Zaurg has 2 or 3, Tuyop and Cornholio also have 1 each. There was also Murderknobs that was quite a spectacular failure.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Cornholio:
"I don't consider myself stupid when it comes to money"

Zaurg:
"Wife wants to buy or lease a new car"
"This is serious, not a troll"

Tuyop:
"It's come to my attention that my financial situation is terrible"

Knyteguy:
"My wife's not cheating on me, but oh - she's pregnant"

Slow Motion:
"I am going to be free of credit card debt by the end of the year" [has $20,000 in credit card debt at the end of the year]

alwayslost's thread has a lot of opinions about engagement rings, expectations, and financial communication between couples.

So as not to be considered gratuitously insulting, let me point out that some of these people are clearly NOT bad with money at this time.

slap me silly fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Aug 3, 2014

Quisty
Apr 10, 2008

I like to pinch.

moana posted:

It was deleted due to drama, they made an offshoot site here: http://eroticauthorforum.com/

'deleted' meaning you can't even see it with Archives? I was just looking for it.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
It's in archives, http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3503700
Now we will all pretend you never asked

Quisty
Apr 10, 2008

I like to pinch.
Thanks. I was getting frustrated looking for it.

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."
Two things!

1: Shouldn't the Resume & Interview link in the OP be updated to this, as it is current and not archived?

2: Would there be interest in a Freelancing megathread? I only found one thread on it here in BFC and it's the experiences of one individual. Unless I missed something, in which case disregard this item.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

1: Shouldn't the Resume & Interview link in the OP be updated to this, as it is current and not archived?

2: Would there be interest in a Freelancing megathread? I only found one thread on it here in BFC and it's the experiences of one individual. Unless I missed something, in which case disregard this item.

1. Done

2. Go for it, why not.

Thanks!

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
Can we make new personal finances threads? I'd like to have one to keep accountable to my goals. I'm not really super in debt nor do I have a pressing financial problem, but I would really like to crowd source some wisdom on how to best manage my finances, and have a way to regularly check in about accountability.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Fusion Restaurant posted:

Can we make new personal finances threads? I'd like to have one to keep accountable to my goals. I'm not really super in debt nor do I have a pressing financial problem, but I would really like to crowd source some wisdom on how to best manage my finances, and have a way to regularly check in about accountability.

New threads are great, please post one.

(I was told the same thing by moana last year when I was in a similar situation and I'm glad I made a thread)

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

pig slut lisa posted:

New threads are great, please post one.

(I was told the same thing by moana last year when I was in a similar situation and I'm glad I made a thread)

OK, posted a thread! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3721445

I wasn't sure what naming conventions are for personal finances logs, so I just went with something sort of bland.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

I'd love a Freelancing thread. I'm finally at a stage in my career where I've got enough free time to maintain a side hustle in addition to my main job, so I'd love a place to discuss best practices.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Baby Babbeh posted:

I'd love a Freelancing thread. I'm finally at a stage in my career where I've got enough free time to maintain a side hustle in addition to my main job, so I'd love a place to discuss best practices.

Start one! There have been a few stabs at it but they're all archived now. Your own practices may be pretty useful for other people to hear about - OP could be The One Huge Thing You Figured Out, or whatever. What's your gig?

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

I'm a journalist by training, but I've been doing content marketing and a little bit of technical writing for the past year or so. The one huge thing I've figured out is that you should never compete on price as a freelancer; not only is it a self-defeating prospect but the clients you attract by being cheap are almost assuredly not the kind of clients you want. I suppose I could take a crack at a freelancing megathread OP, but a lot of what I'd have to say is advice I've gotten from other people. It's not like I've been doing this for a long time.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
What is Blue Story, so that I can avoid chatting about it? It doesn't appear in the 'pedia.

vvvv wow. Yeesh. Thanks.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Aug 8, 2016

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Blue Story was either a troll or not, if she was not, then she was possibly the most BWM person alive and also the worst parent alive. She and her husband spent all their money on Star Wars figurines and lovely art and concert T-shirts and couldn't figure out how to cook oatmeal and also once she got pregnant wouldn't stop eating deli meat and her husband was semiautistic and "allergic to vegetables" and oh my loving god, I hope she was a troll.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3722319

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I've got a few questions about opening a US bank account as someone new to the country, but just questions about 'the best least worst bank(s) in the states'. Is there appropriate thread for that or should I start a new one?

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

I've got a few questions about opening a US bank account as someone new to the country, but just questions about 'the best least worst bank(s) in the states'. Is there appropriate thread for that or should I start a new one?

I think maybe the newbie thread has talked about it a good bit but you'd be welcome to make a new thread as well.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Hi everyone, I'm the new slap me silly. Please keep doing what you're doing, since this subforum does a pretty good job of running itself well. If you have any questions, comments, requests for stickies or thread title changes, etc., please shoot me a PM or post in this thread.

As a heads up, these are the threads I follow most closely:

If something is going on in a thread that isn't these, I may not see it unless you bring it to my attention.

Thanks for being the Best Forum Currently on this website :yayclod:

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Congratulations PSL!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Goondoleances, PSL!

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

pig slut lisa posted:

Hi everyone, I'm the new slap me silly. Please keep doing what you're doing, since this subforum does a pretty good job of running itself well. If you have any questions, comments, requests for stickies or thread title changes, etc., please shoot me a PM or post in this thread.

As a heads up, these are the threads I follow most closely:

If something is going on in a thread that isn't these, I may not see it unless you bring it to my attention.

Thanks for being the Best Forum Currently on this website :yayclod:

You will be missed Slap Me Silly. Congrats PSL!

e: bad joke edited out.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 16, 2017

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
So I took over for pig slut lisa. I imagine having money in my user name helps.

I get bored and mess around with thread titles from time to time, so if that gets annoying or you have better suggestions, PM me or post in here. Or I have an email address I hardly check. sa.moneyball@gmail.com

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I design stuff for a credit card company, and I'd like to post in the "Credit Card Rewards and Recommendations" thread and ask a question: I can't figure out what to name this thing I'm working on, and I'd like to describe it and get peoples' thoughts. So it's off-topic (and probably counts as homework) and I was just wondering if I can ask my question without getting yelled at.

jackpot fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Sep 29, 2017

moana
Jun 18, 2005

I promise I won't yell at you but I can't say anything about these other hooligans.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I can't see why not, but if they chase you out of the thread with nail bats, don't come running to me!

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I've been having thread tags added here and there as you may have noticed. If anyone has any suggestions or requests, please let me know and I will add them until the admins get tired of me asking.

Ones to consider: Europe, Asia tags, or a catch-all Foreign tag

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Is this the right forum to ask about people's experiences in social work?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

idiot of the legal system posted:

Is this the right forum to ask about people's experiences in social work?
Sure, maybe in the "career path" thread but I don't think anyone will get butthurt if you want to make your own thread with questions about it.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Is there an ethical banking thread? Any recommended resources for finding one?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

some_admin posted:

Is there an ethical banking thread? Any recommended resources for finding one?
It's a topic that comes up in other threads, generally the advice is to use a local credit union if you can.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Is the Bad with Money thread gone for good or are we cool to start a new one?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Handsome Ralph posted:

Is the Bad with Money thread gone for good or are we cool to start a new one?
It's in TFR at the moment. Here

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I'll probably reboot this in a while after the site gets sold and I get some feedback from the community, but for now I'm including the Discord link and gassing the signup thread.

VelociBacon posted:

Okay, I'm going to post an invite link here now that things seem to have died down a little and we can take care of issues that might arise with a bunch of people joining. Please feel free to join what has become the defacto BFC discord with this link. We'll figure out how the discord fits into the SA space once we know more about everything going on.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Heads up: I was too big an idiot to stay idiot king, so now apparently I'm a BFC mod. Don't you sass me, or I'll be forced to go cry in the other room and wonder about my life choices.

As should be tradition among new mods, I brought you a gift:

Toss me a PM if you need anything. I work from home through at least June, so my availability is remarkably good right now.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Sundae posted:

Heads up: I was too big an idiot to stay idiot king, so now apparently I'm a BFC mod. Don't you sass me, or I'll be forced to go cry in the other room and wonder about my life choices.

As should be tradition among new mods, I brought you a gift:

Toss me a PM if you need anything. I work from home through at least June, so my availability is remarkably good right now.
Boy, I'm glad I hosed up as IK so they didn't make me a mod. Congrats, Sundae! Time for a landlord thread?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Just to reiterate, since someone pointed out it wasn't listed in the rules thread anywhere: Zaurg is still not welcome to waste BFC's precious posting-bytes. I'm not going hunting for his posts because I am not a masochist, but if he gets reported, I'll address it.

Tasers. The punchline is always tasers.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

Sundae posted:

Just to reiterate, since someone pointed out it wasn't listed in the rules thread anywhere: Zaurg is still not welcome to waste BFC's precious posting-bytes. I'm not going hunting for his posts because I am not a masochist, but if he gets reported, I'll address it.

Tasers. The punchline is always tasers.

Address this: The actual problem you probe me for is the idiots who respond to normal back and forth discussion with "OMG WHY IS ZAURG HERE" and they poo poo up an entire page of a thread that was moving along just fine before their poo poo-post.

Tasers, I know. loving brilliant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

zaurg posted:

Address this: The actual problem you probe me for is the idiots who respond to normal back and forth discussion with "OMG WHY IS ZAURG HERE" and they poo poo up an entire page of a thread that was moving along just fine before their poo poo-post.

Tasers, I know. loving brilliant.

That will be dealt with as well. Two shits don’t make a right or something like that.