Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

creamyhorror posted:

My circles are big on authentic Japanese food, but mentioning restaurants would only make them fuller :(

Don't be a selfish person and share.

No goon meet for me unfortunately, I'd love to join but I'm in Melbourne for work that weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

caberham posted:

GOOONS

I know this is a bit last minute, but I'm coming in next weekend. GOOOOOOON MEET SINGAPORE OK LA?

I know creamyhorror, lithiumsum, kru, and a lurker will show up. But would love to meet some more local thread residents.

Time: Saturday January 31, 7pm.
Location : China town mrt, exit 1? surface side more updates will follow
If we're going to Chinatown Complex then we should probably meet outside by MRT exit A on Pagoda St - the one that has the big canopy. Easy!

creamyhorror
Mar 11, 2006
the incredible adventures of superworm across America

Gail Wynand posted:

If we're going to Chinatown Complex then we should probably meet outside by MRT exit A on Pagoda St - the one that has the big canopy. Easy!
I'm dropping by a friend's stall at a museum event (film screening/picnic) starting at 6pm on Saturday: Lepak at the National Museum. If you guys like we could head there, it should be pleasant. Otherwise, I'll join you guys later in the evening.

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Don't be a selfish person and share.
If you can handle full Japanese conversation + menus, Dosukoi in Cuppage Plaza is basically a bit of Japan in Singapore. Cosy traditional bar. There are a bunch of other authentic Japanese places in the same building, and Ramen Santouka is just next door if you want that.

creamyhorror fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jan 29, 2015

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011
Hey guys, I can probably come this evening. Can I get a phone number or something to call when I turn up?

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Aaaaahhh, sorry we missed you buddy. Get on LINE so we can coord other meets.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I was having so much fun and saw an old man peeing in the streets.

Lithiumsun
Oct 18, 2012

caberham posted:

I was having so much fun and saw an old man peeing in the streets.

That was the climax of the trip, Abe.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
Im going to be in Singapore between 15-26 March. Anything on?

FURY-161
Dec 28, 2005

Yo Singoons,
Heads-up for you all, the TV show I spent the last year directing about wildlife in Singapore (instead of going to goon meets) has just been finished. It sure would be swell if you would tune in and bump up the ratings. David Attenborough is narrating.

Anyway, it's called "Wild City" and it's on Channel News Asia, March 15th and 22nd at 8pm. All the cool kids are watching it.

... Plug over.

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent

FURY-161 posted:

Yo Singoons,
Heads-up for you all, the TV show I spent the last year directing about wildlife in Singapore (instead of going to goon meets) has just been finished. It sure would be swell if you would tune in and bump up the ratings. David Attenborough is narrating.

Anyway, it's called "Wild City" and it's on Channel News Asia, March 15th and 22nd at 8pm. All the cool kids are watching it.

... Plug over.

That's awesome, did you guys do anything on the marine life around Singapore?

FURY-161
Dec 28, 2005

raffie posted:

That's awesome, did you guys do anything on the marine life around Singapore?

We've got a few intertidal critters from Ubin and Sungei Buloh, but sadly the budget didn't stretch to full on underwater shoots. I did go on a recce to raffles lighthouse though. Some surprisingly healthy looking coral there. Anyway, perhaps we'll do it in series 2...

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
Who has a time machine or a spare stomach I can borrow. February 15 to 16, 18 hours in Singapore. Got a mystery hotel on Agoda and making a list of things to eat. The garden at the bay thing looks neat. Night Zoo is too far away.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
I dream of the chicken murtabak from Zamzam restaurant across from the Sultan Mosque.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Where is a good place to get chilli crab in a hawker center sort of environment. I had it at no signboard last time I was in Singapore, but I felt the branch I went to was overly formal for what I was eating. I heard it was pretty good over on the east coast, but I have never been over there.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Geylang?

Paging lurkerrrrrrz. Actually try the line chat

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Mellben Seafood in Ang Mo Kio. Completely hidden off in a corner of a sleepy bit of the estate; the service has dropped quite a bit in recent years but the food's still decent. Call ahead or be prepared to wait an incredible amount of time for your table.

http://www.yelp.com.sg/biz/mellben-seafood-singapore

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
How does one join the LINE group?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey guys im back again for the weekend who's up for Saturday hangout?

FURY-161
Dec 28, 2005

Yeah, I'm in. What're you thinking of doing?

FURY-161 fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Feb 24, 2015

FURY-161
Dec 28, 2005

Edit - double posted like an idiot

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Sorry internet spotty. Maybe geylang chilli crab? I will be with some goons. Will say say 730pm some subway MRT exit

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ok goons, help me figure this out. Every so often there is this smell that I can only describe as old people farts mixed with rotten eggs and spices in it, sometimes it's on the MRT coming out of someone's mouth, sometimes there is a waft of it coming out of a building or airduct in the MRT but I can't pinpoint what is causing it. At first I thought it was durian fruit but compared to this a durian smells like the best thing on earth.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Sewage?

FURY-161
Dec 28, 2005

Yeah I'd guess it's an open drain. That usually accounts for most of the malodorous scents on the street that aren't durian.

Don't know why you'd smell it on people in the MRT though. Check your shoes, maybe.

FURY-161
Dec 28, 2005

Unsubtle reminder that my wildlife documentary (with David Attenborough!) is on this Sunday, 8pm, Channel News Asia.

Sorry, I'll shut up about it now.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

FURY-161 posted:

Unsubtle reminder that my wildlife documentary (with David Attenborough!) is on this Sunday, 8pm, Channel News Asia.

Sorry, I'll shut up about it now.

Well, I will arrive on Sunday just in time to watch it.

Does anyone have any recommendations for places to get a haircut? Last time I got it done in Singapore the hairdresser didn't have much (if any) experience cutting white people hair so it ended up looking pretty, weird.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EvilElmo posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for places to get a haircut? Last time I got it done in Singapore the hairdresser didn't have much (if any) experience cutting white people hair so it ended up looking pretty, weird.

I got my hair cut at Toni&Guy. Pretty pricey ($70) but I was happy at the result.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
I'm in Singapore for week from tomorrow, but I'm kinda in desperate need of some fitted slacks (I suffer from a terrible case of rugby-butt). Is there someplace that could make me some dress pants in like a couple days?

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

EvilElmo posted:

We Need A Hero, Tiong Bahru.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Gail Wynand posted:

We Need A Hero, Tiong Bahru.

That place is super hip! I ended up at a place in Chinatown on Keong Saik Street.

I watched wild cities last night. Was pretty interesting. The weird scaley mammal thing was the best bit.

I'm heading out shopping today, any places you would recommend for trendy clothes for dudes?

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent
So the old man passed away early this morning and everyone is now feeling really sad or something.

Expect North Korea-esque crying on the news soon.

FURY-161
Dec 28, 2005

I was surprised about the overall lack of reaction from the locals on the street that I spoke to yesterday. There was a quiet reverence, but nothing approaching the hysterical grandstanding that was on CNA.

Basically LKY popping his clogs is just another opportunity to assert the social order and warn the young against the looming threat of the dreaded "Western Liberal Thinking". Certainly not a breath of criticism was heard. More of the same.

The ho-hum response at street level seems like the populace may be getting ready to start moving out of the shadow of the past 50 years. More power to them.

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent
It's day 2 and i'm already getting tired of the propaganda. Yesterday his face popped up when i logged into my DBS online banking.

As a Singaporean, consider me indifferent to his passing.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

raffie posted:

It's day 2 and i'm already getting tired of the propaganda. Yesterday his face popped up when i logged into my DBS online banking.

As a Singaporean, consider me indifferent to his passing.

Haha, I just whent to my DBS online and indeed they turned the landing page into a memorial. No North Korean style weeping spotted yet.

FURY-161
Dec 28, 2005

Yeah, it's mostly turning into a contest for who can be seen to be the most reverential, at least as far as companies and official bodies are concerned. Kiasu to the end.

Tonight's my last night in Singapore, I'm shipping out tomorrow. On balance, I'm pretty glad of it.

Still, thanks to all the Singoons I met during my time here. All two of you. :P

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent
This will all die down in a month.

Then they'll pull him out for national day and again during the next elections.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

raffie posted:

This will all die down in a month.

Then they'll pull him out for national day and again during the next elections.

So, basically Reagan.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
But like way better than Reagan.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

FURY-161 posted:

Yeah, it's mostly turning into a contest for who can be seen to be the most reverential, at least as far as companies and official bodies are concerned. Kiasu to the end.

Tonight's my last night in Singapore, I'm shipping out tomorrow. On balance, I'm pretty glad of it.

Still, thanks to all the Singoons I met during my time here. All two of you. :P

We had super fun meet ups:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don't see a need to be so cynical about LKY's death. A majority of the population genuinely respects him for his life's work and are grieving for him. But two years later they're still going to vote with their heads and their pockets. Nothing about this is going to change contemporary politics.

The most amusing thing to resurface amid all this is a report that showed CIA tried to bribe LKY way back in 1960 and got embarrassed by him in the international press for denying it. You can always expect the CIA to pop up in the history of some developing nation.

• Locked thread