Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
LKY then proceeded to bribe himself for the next 50 years to make up for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
Hey now, remember the army maxim

Do whatever you want, just don't get caught

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent
I'm beginning to think that Amos Yee is a goon.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
Oh he's gonna have a fun time in army.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Now he's accused his bailor of molesting him.

Someone's going to be in a real pit of poo poo either way.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
He posted late last night he was trolling the media.

He also applied for a personal protection order against his Dad.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone know of a decent place to get your passport photos taken? I had some done at the Kodak Express but they were rejected as not passport worthy by my government.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Anyone know of a decent place to get your passport photos taken? I had some done at the Kodak Express but they were rejected as not passport worthy by my government.

I got mine done in a photo booth at Changi Airport (T2).

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Holland village shopping centre. Go upstairs, shop on the left - they have a guide with which countries need which size, etc.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.iras.gov.sg/irashome/Individuals/Locals/Working-Out-Your-Taxes/Deductions-for-Individuals/Personal-Tax-Rebate--YA-2015-/

Good news everyone! Pay even less tax than normal this year

kru
Oct 5, 2003

gently caress yes

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Coming to Singapore 31st-2nd and looking for hotel recommendations. Looking at $50-80 per night type budget and I guess I'd expect to be able to get a private room in a hostel for that? Or less? I've no idea what prices are like compared to KL but primarily looking for somewhere in a good location.

Also I guess recommendations on great restaurants, etc. I'm coming from KL so Indian or Malay food would have to be pretty noteworthy for me search out. If there's mainland Chinese restaurants (not hot pot) I'd be keen to try them though, not much in the way of good Western/Northern Chinese food in Malaysia.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Is Home still the indie club of choice?

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Home closed down, so sorry no 8(

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

kru posted:

Home closed down, so sorry no 8(

Thanks. Any suggestions? I'm in town for 2 days Sat, Sun Dec 26th and 27th.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

So, I can't bring Ambien through customs, right? I have a prescription, but not a doctors note. Was hoping to have some for the long flight over from the States...

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
What is a realistic low price for accommodation in Singapore these days? I have a feeling the price in the OP is quite outdated by now. And what would be a good place to look for a rental?

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Depends on too many factors.

PropertyGuru is the site you need/want.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kru posted:

Depends on too many factors.

PropertyGuru is the site you need/want.

PropertyGuru is great if you're looking for something for yourself. If you are looking for a room in a shared condo you can also try one of the many Facebook groups, 99.co, easyroommate.sg or something along those lines.

birds
Jun 28, 2008

I'm headed to Singapore in May and have begun thinking about things I want to see and do. Is the ArtScience Museum worth seeing? I am switching hotels midway through and will have time to kill between check out and check in so this would fit in perfectly. I'm not really sure what exactly is there but it looks cool.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

It's aggressively average unless there is a badass exhibition going on at the time. The permanent galleries are a waste of time.

That said, the newly-opened National Gallery is fantastic and well worth a visit. Or, if you must be in the Marina Bay area, the Gardens by the Bay, a short walk from the ArtScience Museum, has two very impressive conservatory domes.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
The Asian Civilizations Museum is my favorite in Singapore. Definitely worth a visit.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

I'm considering moving to Singapore for a job. I'm on fairly decent money here in Australia. I am a mechanical engineer of 8 years experience. What sort of salary can I expect there as a foreigner? I understand the tax is significantly lower, so should I expect the wage to be proportionally lower too or should I go in asking for a step up from my salary here, which is taxed at nearly 30%?

As I understand, many roles like engineers get salaries suppressed by the cheap labour available out of Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, etc. so I don't know if they run a 2-tier wage system for attracting western talent or if I can just expect to take a pay hit if I were to take this role.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Well, tax is like 10% so you'd be fine for that. Can't ball park salary with no industry, etc.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Yeh I know the tax is low, I'm wondering if in general I can expect salaries to be proportionally lower as a result + the cheap labour around the neighbouring countries.

Mechanical design engineer in transport, 8 years experience.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

No, taxes are just low. Singapore is extremely expensive to live in, so it sort of rounds out. I'll try and find you some figures.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Engineering salaries aren't high in Singapore unless you're in a hot or moneyspinning industry (think Uber/Google or petrochem, which do pay well). You probably won't benefit from moving.

Also, as mentioned above - the cost of living here will make your head spin.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Australia's cost of living honestly isn't that much lower. My mortgage repayments aren't that much lower than it seems like I'd be paying rent for, food here is far more expensive, alcohol's slightly cheaper but not by a great deal.

Part of the incentive for me is that it gives me a great chance to travel SEA more, but I still think I need a significantly better salary to make it work overall. As I touched on though and as you're suggesting, my fear is that the wage situation won't work because the salaries won't be crazy good.

I appreciate the help thus far, thanks!

birds
Jun 28, 2008

Regarding money, how widely accepted are credit cards? American Express? Will I be required to use cash for hawker centers and small restaurants and shops?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Use cash in hawker stalls and if you really need to use credit cards for bigger purchases stick with visa/master :ohdear:

birds
Jun 28, 2008

Thanks, just ordered some cash for when I arrive. And one last thing, does anyone know how I would go about attending S League games? I'll have some free time to catch a game and there are probably better things to do but how do I get tickets? Do I just show up?

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Def just show up

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Anyone here into craft beer? I'm traveling for work to Singapore for a few weeks this month and as I've done on previous trips to Korea and Japan, I'd like to bring a few beers with me to share. Also up for any recommendations on pubs/taprooms/breweries worth visiting - I did find this list which looks pretty solid but would appreciate any other input.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

That list is about right.

Hit up Good Beer Company and Smith St Taps first - they are in the same food centre and you can see one from the other. The other one I like best on that list is Druggists over on Tyrwhitt Rd. Lots of taps and some very interesting beers. The Armoury over at South Beach is okay but the real reason to go there is its sister restaurant Vatos, right next door, which offers killer Korean Tex-Mex.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Thanks for the tips. Do you know if that's the same Vatos that they have in Seoul?

Any other suggestions for must-try food is welcome - I'll be staying on Orchard Rd.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

dphi posted:

Thanks for the tips. Do you know if that's the same Vatos that they have in Seoul?

Any other suggestions for must-try food is welcome - I'll be staying on Orchard Rd.

It is one and the same. The menu has some edits in terms of what dishes are served but the taste is straight up what you know from Itaewon.

Any list of foods you have to try in Singapore would turn into a dissertation. What kind of food do you generally like, in terms of flavour profiles?

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
I'm fairly open, seafood is the main thing I get kind of picky about. I can handle some heat but tend towards medium spiciness if I'm eating Thai or something - a lot of the soups I had in Korea had me sweating. Korean bbq was my jam in Seoul, and I enjoy Indian, Vietnamese, etc.

I did a little searching and it seems like you're surrounded by food there so I'm definitely not worried about being able to find something. Mostly just looking for a few can't-miss places and some spots that offer food I can't or isn't done right in the states.

A Jupiter
Apr 25, 2010

First week of my 4 months in Singapore was rad, here for a co-op term at NUS and NTU. Living near Clementi Stn and I was blown away by the selection of food and shopping just in that one block. I thought I got lucky and stumbled into a good spot in the city but my friend tell me it's nothing for Singapore, so I have lots to look forward to!

Hitting up Chinatown tonight with a bunch of people from the same uni from back home. Good Beer Co. and Smith St Taps are on the list but are there anything else? Particularly anything that runs pretty late, since we're all still mostly on EST.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Give it time haha! Me and another guy studied abroad at the same time, SMU, so a little more close to things, but otherwise similar.

They had us on old Havelock Road so Zouk was a staple nightlife spot, also Clarke Quay and the bridge there because who doesn't like some Clake Quay bridge?

All my good restaurant recommendations are terribly our of date, like is PS Cafe still around?

Go visit Orchard Tower for the experience, put probably just once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

A Jupiter posted:

Hitting up Chinatown tonight with a bunch of people from the same uni from back home. Good Beer Co. and Smith St Taps are on the list but are there anything else? Particularly anything that runs pretty late, since we're all still mostly on EST.

Wander down to Keong Saik Rd (five minute walk from Chinatown MRT). It used to be a red-light district but has since cleaned up and become a hipster street with a shitload of good restaurants and bars. Potato Head Folk on the corner has decent burgers and milkshakes, but I think the strongest cocktails are mixed up at The Library, which is a "secret" bar on the left of restaurant The Study. Get the password from https://www.facebook.com/thestudy49/ and tell it to the staff member sitting in the fake shop. Just remember that alcohol is expensive round here.

• Locked thread