Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
So, looks like my woman may have a conference in Singapore this summer.

Do I want to go? If I want to go, do I want to bring a 5 year old?

I like museums and strange food and scenery. Clubs and club girls probably aren't an option. Still worth 26 hours and 1500$ in airfare?

Is there stuff a 5 year old would remember forever, or should he stay with the grandparents?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

So, trying to get some more range on the trip this summer. Looks like I'll have about 10 days total, 4 of which are conference.

What do people think of Malaysia? I kinda want to see some jungle if I'm on that side of the world. Are there any Malaysian national parks worth visiting? Is it worth the flight to go to Thailand for less than a week? Is there so much awesome poo poo in Singapore that I won't want to be anywhere else for 10 days solid?

Diving?

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Anybody been to Pulau Tioman? That where I should go, or is there another better take your woman to the islands island in the area?

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Back from Singapore and Tioman. It was spectacular, even when things went wrong, they went wrong in a way that turned out nice and pleasant, and not at all hard to deal with.

Diving on Tioman was spectacular, the jungle trekking was also wonderful. Saw land planarians, trilobite beetles, and trees full of flying fox bats.

Stayed in Chinatown in Singapore. Did Chinatown stuff, which was nice, and exceptionally tasty, and architecturally delightful, but really not that impressive for shopping. Mostly poo poo you can get in Chinatown anywhere. Ate well in Little India. Hiked from Kent park 9km along mostly tree-canopy level walkways on the Southern Ridge, to the Henderson Wave Bridge, and the cable cars to Sentosa. Really delightful.

Sentosa was pretty corny and expensive compared to everything else we did, but was pleasant also.

Few pictures:

One of the nicest vacations I've ever had, shame it is on the wrong side of the planet, I'd like to come back in 5 years and see what everything they are working on now turned out like.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

kalicki posted:

Any recommendations on a niceish hotel for next weekend? Heading back through Singapore for a night and wanna splurge a bit, but still under $200 USD a night.

No Marina Bay Sands for me :(

We stayed in Hotel 1929, and really liked the location and the facility. It's a block from food street and the chinatown complex. It is in an old shophouse, so the rooms are micro-tiny, but all clever and design-y. Think it was around 140 singabux a night.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 3, 2010

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

I was exceedingly pleased with Kent Ridge Park. A bunch of nice walking trails through second generation rainforest, excellent views, and like a mile of raised canopy-level 80' in the air walkway through the trees. And it is free, people walk their dogs on it. When we were there we kept on saying "man, this is nice. most places they would hit you 12$ for this and it'd be worth it".

Easy to get a cab and take a mile or five walk through the botanical gardens, and the canopy walk, and the Henderson Wave Bridge.

My favorite hawker stand was probably Erich's Wurtzelstand on food street in chinatown. Austrian selling an entirely decent brat and kraut on a hard roll with a side of mash. It was such a neat contrast with the every kind of noodle and curry and frog congee you can get.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

melon cat posted:

Awesome. A Singapore thread. Just what I was looking for. :)

My wife and I are in our late-20s. We really like exploring new foods. We're physically active. A bit of the tourist-y stuff is fine, but we're looking for the REAL Singapore experience, but we don't know where to start!

I probably mentioned most of this up-thread with pictures, but we stayed in Hotel 1929 in Chinatown and were very pleased with it. Rooms were tiny, since it is an old converted shophouse, but the price was reasonable, and it was very stylish/botique/designy which whe wife liked.

Food street in Chinatown is a blast. They block off one of the big roads and put folding tables down the middle with vendor carts down both sides. Every kind of noodle/curry/fried/steamed/whatever else you can imagine. My favorite was Erich's, a crazy austrian selling bratwurst and kraut on a hard roll from a truck. Not the best brat I ever ate, but certainly a good one, and all the more charming for the venue.

Walking in Little India was also good, nothing wrong with the vindaloo, a little less tourist-ready than Chinatown.

Clarke's Quay was good walking, but we didn't feel up to paying the prices to eat out that way, with so much good food for 4$ a plate, it was hard to want to spend 100$.

The Peranaken cuisine was interesting and good and different, think we ate at Blue Ginger, just as the place was closing up for the night, but the owner/host was really cool and friendly and would have hung out with is for far longer.

We also really enjoyed walking around Kent Ridge Park, there is a section of raised jungle canopy walk that is free and really amazing, and the walk from there to the Henderson Wave Bridge has a ton of great views. Lots of good views and monkeys and crazy botanical whatsits.

I found the shopping to be unremarkable. Had everything you could ever want, but it was kind of exactly the same as the stuff you can get at a high-end mall in a big city in in the US, well, a high-end mall and a chinatown, anyway. Nothing hugely outlandish and "wow, could never buy that at home" about it. The wetmarket was also good but not insane, which surprised me. Lots of fish and turtles and frogs and so on, but nothing shocking.

The Singapore Museum was solid, Sentosa was fun but very touristy and packaged. We enjoyed the cable car ride from the top of the mountain down to Sentosa, but was a bit pricy for what it was.

We also really really enjoyed going out to the islands in Malaysia to dive and jungle trek and chase fruitbats and so on. If your time allows you could do worse than taking a commuter flight out to Pulau Tioman, grabbing a beach cabin, and spending a couple days in the jungle and diving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

nervana posted:

Thanks for the replies. What does August weather mean for the tourist? Should I wait it out and go another time (which may not be for another year)?

August really works out for me so I would attempt to brave out the heat but my parents are also coming so I'm being a little more careful. Surely not impossible right? :allears:

I'm in St. Louis these days, and it is indistinguishable in September/August. Except that in Spore you could potentially go near some ocean breeze, or the tops of the ridge in the trees or something. Mid 90's and high humidity isn't bad, just drink more, go out later, and sleep later. Also, throw down on some sweat-wicking underwear, it makes a world of difference.

• Locked thread