Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Hulk Hogan always lies but 'Wood Hogan always tells the truth (or was it the other way around?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

All these things happened to hulk hogan. But they did not happen to terry bollea

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

theres an andre the giant documentary where hogan says he wasnt sure if Andre was going to job to him at WM3 or go into business for himself, brother

that one is actually true, but it was just a rib from Andre. He wanted to make sure that people knew he was still the main guy so whenever he was meeting with Vince and Hogan he'd be vague about if he would do the job or not, just to mess with Hogan.

quote:

Leading up to the match, the question was whether or not André was ready to let Hulk Hogan beat him. And so, yet another myth was created. Truth be told, none of the boys in the back knew the finish; no one but Pat Patterson, Vince McMahon, Hulk Hogan, and André knew what was going to happen. Over the years, conflicting stories have emerged, creating even more folklore.

“I worked on that match day-in and day-out, making sure they were in a good mood,” recalled Pat Patterson in an interview for RF Video in 2018. “André, we had to take care of him, we had to make sure he wouldn’t get hurt. André would say, ‘Hogan, if I feel bad, I am going to kick the poo poo out of him.’ I would tell him to stop saying that. He was just trying to joke around. But that would get Hogan nervous too. André was just messing with him. However, at that time, Hogan didn’t know that. André played a game that he was in a bad mood all the time with Hulk. André worked him. He was so good at that. There was no doubt in my mind it would happen. André was winking at me.”

Vince McMahon shared pretty much the same opinion. “Hogan would not say anything to André, like, ‘Hey, are you going to do this job for me?’ He had too much respect for André to come out straight and ask him. Instead, he would beat around the bush. ‘Hey, boss, what are we going to do?’ ‘I will tell you later,’ André would answer. Well, later never came, and Hogan kept coming to me. ‘Oh my god, am I going to win this thing?’ ‘Yeah, yeah, yeah,’ I kept saying. ‘It’s all set.’ Finally, I got Hogan in my room the night before the event, and that’s when André let him know what was going to go down. After André told Hogan what he was going to do, there was a big hug and all that kind of stuff. And there we go.”

That meeting either never took place, took place with André and Vince only, or Hogan completely forgot about it, because not only has Hogan never mentioned it, he swears he has no recollection of it whatsoever. As requested, Hogan wrote a match synopsis, leaving André and Vince to decide upon the finish. “I don’t know if they were ribbing me,” said Hogan on Chris Jericho’s podcast. “Around 2 or 3 p.m. Vince said, ‘I think you need to go talk with André.’ I am sitting next to André, who’s in a lot of pain with two quarts of Crown Royal already ingested. That was nothing for him. He’s handing me a drink, and when he’s not looking, I am dumping it because I can’t start drinking now. Just before going in the ring, he said, ‘Don’t worry. I will take care of you.’ I didn’t know going in what that meant.”

Tim White remembered André being the same as usual, stopping for beers on the way to the stadium. “Hogan was sweating the whole day,” said White. “I think André was holding court, like, ‘Know this. Before I make you the guy, remember that I’m the guy and always have been.’”

Édouard Carpentier, who was the French-language play-by-play announcer that night, had clear memories of the mind games. “André was drinking a lot. On that day, he had promised not to drink. But he had bought his wine bottles. He was looking at Vince while drinking his wine, mocking him. I asked him why he was drinking since it was a big match, and he told me it was none of my business. No one knew he was drunk in the ring that night.” It’s unlikely André was too drunk to perform in that match, but he would have been unable to perform while sober because of the pain.

From Pat Laprade and Bertrand Hebert's Andre the Giant book from a few years back.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
andre ruled

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Andre would also throw empty cans at Hogan’s head so he’d know when to go out and buy him more beer.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

i want to read Hogans written match synopsis

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

step 6 the hulk up brother

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Andre really was the best and I wish more people would have worked Hogan like that

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TheHoosier posted:

Hulkster was scouted by and was begged to play for the Cincinnati Reds, dude. He didn't have time between Metallica band practice and PRIDE prize fighting, jack

I like that Hogan probably tells it like he was going to be the bassist instead of Cliff in Metallica but the timeframe means he would have been Ron McGovney.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Hogan easily would have beaten up Andre if Andre didn't play ball.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the hulkster wrestled for elvis in memphis brother years after elvis was already dead jack

And drank John Belushi under the table after Wrestlemania 2....four years after John Belushi died.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Angry_Ed posted:

And drank John Belushi under the table after Wrestlemania 2....four years after John Belushi died.

corpses have a higher tolerance than us living, brother

thank you everyone for posting your favorite Hogan lies, hulk Hogan lies are one of my favorite pieces of wrestling ephemera

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

https://youtu.be/m2BJDGfliAM?si=_p8V1yxvvOETeQt1

The best

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

In further 'Hulk Hogan as a vortex of death' stories, he claims he was on a plane with Kerry Von Erich a week before Kerry died.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Hogan owns, I'm not sure he ever fully processed that kayfabe died.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dawgstar posted:

In further 'Hulk Hogan as a vortex of death' stories, he claims he was on a plane with Kerry Von Erich a week before Kerry died.

He's like Mancow.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Hogan owns, I'm not sure he ever fully processed that kayfabe died.
He's ahead of his time in that respect. Thanks to the Internet, you can't keep secrets, but you can flood the zone with poo poo and hope that some of your entertaining lies will just get repeated until they become accepted fact.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Didn't he have Undertaker believing for months, maybe years, that Taker had hosed up his neck with the Tombstone at Survivor Series 92? Then, upon review, Hulk's head came nowhere close to the ground. Safest tombstone ever, lmao

a dumb moron
Mar 19, 2024

augh

TheHoosier posted:

Didn't he have Undertaker believing for months, maybe years, that Taker had hosed up his neck with the Tombstone at Survivor Series 92? Then, upon review, Hulk's head came nowhere close to the ground. Safest tombstone ever, lmao

I’m sure Hogan pulled that poo poo but I’m willing to bet Taker plays into it as a carny himself

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Yeah it's carnies all the way down. Hogan operates like he's under a fae curse where he has to lie when describing his life. I feel like the attendance of Wrestlemania III and weight of Andre go up every time he tells that story

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TheHoosier posted:

Apparently it was a whole two years.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

TheHoosier posted:

I've heard all sorts of conflicting versions as to whether it was years later or the following week at TV, but I think Undertaker's version was the latter. It seems agreed upon that it really happened, though. For further reading: https://babyfacevheel.substack.com/p/hulk-hogan-undertaker-survivor-series-91

The one monkey wrench thrown into this is that if Hogan completely faked the injury, he didn't just do it to mess with Undertaker's head (or at least disrupted more than that). Hogan was unable to cut his hard sell promo for Tuesday in Texas because he was being tended to, with Sean Mooney having to do it instead, and that clearly wasn't the original plan.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Random, but Bobby Heenan would always say "Who?" whenever Gorilla would mention Sean Mooney, and that poo poo cracked me up every time. Heenan was awesome, and one of the best parts of Goldberg's rise in WCW was hearing Heenan legit mark out for him.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

It’s interesting that Hogan tries to not lie at least once saying that Taker took care of him and whatever happened to his neck wasn’t Taker’s fault. But I assume he was just being a weird loving baby.

I also love the line of “they wanted to fuse the discs in my neck but I said no” because it makes him sound like a big tough guy, even if there might be a shred of truth in there somewhere.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I had no idea Sean Mooney was the guy in the Who mask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

davidbix posted:

I've heard all sorts of conflicting versions as to whether it was years later or the following week at TV, but I think Undertaker's version was the latter. It seems agreed upon that it really happened, though. For further reading: https://babyfacevheel.substack.com/p/hulk-hogan-undertaker-survivor-series-91

The one monkey wrench thrown into this is that if Hogan completely faked the injury, he didn't just do it to mess with Undertaker's head (or at least disrupted more than that). Hogan was unable to cut his hard sell promo for Tuesday in Texas because he was being tended to, with Sean Mooney having to do it instead, and that clearly wasn't the original plan.

Great article. Hogan is loving ridiculous