Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Does anyone have good backstage stories or interviews about Jericho jumping ship?

That was right around the time spoilers were 80 percent of the internet and I was still in the naive mode of avoiding them at all costs, so the countdown was the last real surprise that I enjoyed in wrestling

I can imagine smug WCW bookers watching and thinking it would fall on its face, and Vince literally making GBS threads himself at the pop 'JERICHO' got when it flashed on the titantron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Jerusalem posted:

The best thing about Blade Runner is that it's a loving awesome movie.

Agreed.

Amazing we took a picture of the Blade Runners and took it into the movie Blade Runner.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Lone Rogue posted:

Agreed.

Amazing we took a picture of the Blade Runners and took it into the movie Blade Runner.

The book "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" was way better than that piece of poo poo movie. The original movie followed the book but test audiences hated it so they went with the copout ending of them falling in love.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Supreme Allah posted:

Does anyone have good backstage stories or interviews about Jericho jumping ship?

That was right around the time spoilers were 80 percent of the internet and I was still in the naive mode of avoiding them at all costs, so the countdown was the last real surprise that I enjoyed in wrestling

I can imagine smug WCW bookers watching and thinking it would fall on its face, and Vince literally making GBS threads himself at the pop 'JERICHO' got when it flashed on the titantron

I don't know if these are so much "backstage" stories or not, but here are a couple of things:

Jericho was allegedly offered far more money by WCW to stay than WWF offered him to come work for them. However Jericho felt creatively strangled at WCW and thought there was a better chance to branch out and do different things in WWF.

Jericho's last night in WCW saw him haranguing the crowd and the wrestlers he would be fighting when Rey Mysterio told him,"Hey, we all know you're leaving, Chris, let's just put on a show for the people!" and they had a great match. Afterwards a tearful Jericho hugged Mysterio and the others in the ring, got the mic and told the crowd that..... they still sucked!

When Jericho went to WWF, he suggested the Millennium Countdown starting up a month or so out from his debut, and it was Vince who decided they would stretch it out even further so that there was a real sense of anticipation built for the eventual reveal (which was huge!)

I also didn't read internet wrestling forums at the time, so Jericho showing up was COMPLETELY out of the blue for me and I still think of it as one of the most amazing debuts in WWF's history, if not all professional wrestling.

Moose Bigelow posted:

The book "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" was way better than that piece of poo poo movie. The original movie followed the book but test audiences hated it so they went with the copout ending of them falling in love.

I could never ever watch the original cut with the voiceover narration ever again, it's dreadful and removing it made the movie SOOOOOO much better. I haven't watched "The Final Cut" so I don't know if it is an improvement or not on the Director's Cut, which is excellent.

Guzim
Nov 10, 2007

Take me away from this big bad world and agree to marry me. So we can start over again.

Supreme Allah posted:

In Jericho's book, he tells that after Owen's funeral, Hogan asked him if he was going to WWF, and Jericho said yes. Hogan then asked if Jericho could take him too.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

CVagts posted:

Assuming this is the actual quote from that reboot Nitro, that really should have tipped Russo/Bischoff/Russchoff when 99% of the crowd had no idea what they were referring to.

Between this and having the "buried" young guys as heels among other things during that show I knew the reboot wouldn't work, even as the internet at the time was loving it.

Supreme Allah posted:

If anything else, it gave us Sid the Millenium Man

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 29, 2009

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Moose Bigelow posted:

I saw the Director's cut first. It made zero sense and the entire film was so dark (in lighting) it drove me nuts. A few years later I saw the original and liked it.

I've heard that the Director's cut is better, but everybody I've ever heard who says that has also seen the original and knows what the film is about, so saying the second is better is a bit of a stretch as they'd have no idea what it was like to see it first. But I just absolutely refuse to see a movie about Jim Hellwig and Steve Borden hunting down Terminators in post-apocalyptic Atlanta.

Actually, that sounds pretty awesome.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Vertical Lime posted:

Between this and having the "buried" young guys as heels among other things during that show I knew the reboot wouldn't work, even as the internet at the time was loving it.

As I came to understand it, the New Blood was SUPPOSED to be the faces and the Millionaires' Club was supposed to be the heels, but the MC was mostly guys like Flair, Hogan, and DDP, perceived legends on the roster that the crowd had little interest in booing, AND they were far outnumbered by the NB so they were overcoming the odds. It was a mess.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

LividLiquid posted:

I saw the Director's cut first. It made zero sense and the entire film was so dark (in lighting) it drove me nuts. A few years later I saw the original and liked it.

I've heard that the Director's cut is better, but everybody I've ever heard who says that has also seen the original and knows what the film is about, so saying the second is better is a bit of a stretch as they'd have no idea what it was like to see it first. But I just absolutely refuse to see a movie about Jim Hellwig and Steve Borden hunting down Terminators in post-apocalyptic Atlanta.

End of derail here but I hate movies that have to be changed because Americans are giant loving babbies who need to have everything turn out great in the end.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Jericho's last night in WCW saw him haranguing the crowd and the wrestlers he would be fighting when Rey Mysterio told him,"Hey, we all know you're leaving, Chris, let's just put on a show for the people!" and they had a great match. Afterwards a tearful Jericho hugged Mysterio and the others in the ring, got the mic and told the crowd that..... they still sucked!

I love that story only because I can easily see Jericho, misty eyed and voice cracking, saying that the fans have made his more thankful than he could ever express, but Peroia still sucks and not break character once.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 61 days!

LividLiquid posted:

But I just absolutely refuse to see a movie about Jim Hellwig and Steve Borden hunting down Terminators in post-apocalyptic Atlanta.

I would pay top dollar to see this, provided they look like they did in the picture I posted.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
poo poo, I'd pay top dollar to see them do it NOW.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Anybody else find it hilarious that while this thread is flourishing, the TNA thread has died completely?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

Anybody else find it hilarious that while this thread is flourishing, the TNA thread has died completely?

I thought this was the TNA thread? :psyduck:

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Moose Bigelow posted:

Aaaaaaaaaaaand that's a wrap. Good thread, guys, but I think we've the reached the top of the mountain.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Free Market Gravy posted:

Aaaaaaaaaaaand that's a wrap. Good thread, guys, but I think we've the reached the top of the mountain.

Does this make us the King? Or do we have to hang something up first?

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Does this make us the King? Or do we have to hang something up first?

You have to qualify to hang something first by voting this thread a 5. Then all other posters are placed on probation for 2 minutes.

Coffey
Sep 9, 2003

by T. Finn
I remember reading one of the final straws for Jericho was when he found out that 4x4 (the big dude from No Limit Soldiers) was making more money than him.

nyratk1
Jul 24, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

You have to qualify to hang something first by voting this thread a 5. Then all other posters are placed on probation for 2 minutes.

...uhhhhh, I'll see what's going on in the WWE Discussion thread.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Coffey posted:

I remember reading one of the final straws for Jericho was when he found out that 4x4 (the big dude from No Limit Soldiers) was making more money than him.

I don't think that was a real issue. Jericho didn't show up on WCW Television much in 1999 because they knew he was going to the WWF and didn't want to use him. If 4x4 was making more money than him, that'd mean he was making $100,000+, which... isn't surprising.

I think the Goldberg squash (as in, not booking Goldberg to squash him) was the biggest one.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Moose Bigelow posted:

TNA is giving Hogan a parade in Orlando on Sunday. WCW did the same exact thing when Hogan arrived. There you go

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Vertical Lime posted:

TNA is giving Hogan a parade in Orlando on Sunday. WCW did the same exact thing when Hogan arrived. There you go

Does Hogan just like loving love parades or something?

Man I want blah blah dollars up front creative control and a parade BROTHER

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Not to mention that they're apparently renovating the look of the Impact Zone for his debut show, something they did in WCW as well.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
You rated this thread '5'! Great job, go hog wild!

Supposedly, they're also going back to a traditional four-sided ring for the Hulkster. So their way of providing a true alternative to WWE is to slowly remove anything that might somewhat differentiate them from WWE.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 61 days!

TL posted:

Supposedly, they're also going back to a traditional four-sided ring for the Hulkster. So their way of providing a true alternative to WWE is to slowly remove anything that might somewhat differentiate them from WWE.

To be fair, the six-sided ring was a horrible idea. It made them look like they were trying to be a cross between MMA and pro wrestling (and were failing miserably at both).

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Grandpa Pap posted:

To be fair, the six-sided ring was a horrible idea. It made them look like they were trying to be a cross between MMA and pro wrestling (and were failing miserably at both).

Every single match I have ever seen, the ropes seem to be strung super tight. Maybe it'll be a bit more loose now.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 61 days!

Hockles posted:

Every single match I have ever seen, the ropes seem to be strung super tight. Maybe it'll be a bit more loose now.

Here are six issues with the six-sided ring:

1. As you said, ropes are strung super tight.

2. The ring looks tiny. Even if it was the same size as a WWE ring (my guess is it's not), to the eye it still looks way smaller.

3. Aside from "Six Sides of Steel", I can't think of anything they've done that emphasizes or takes advantage of a six-sided ring. Even "Six Sides of Steel" is just a fancy name for a cage match.

4. No gimmick match they have ever done has needed a six-sided ring to make it work. Not "Feast or My Fired", not the Ultimate-X matches, none of it.

5. Most of their guys have worked for years in traditional four-sided rings (and still do in places like Japan). No matter how long they've been with TNA, the six-sided ring still has to put them off their game a bit.

6. "LOL TNA" comedy answer.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
But WCW was backed by crazy billionaire money and TNA is backed by I dont even know

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Supreme Allah posted:

But WCW was backed by crazy billionaire money and TNA is backed by I dont even know

Time Warner AOL: Publicly traded crazy billionaire money
Panda Energy: Private crazy billionaire money

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Grandpa Pap posted:

Here are six issues with the six-sided ring:

6. "LOL TNA" comedy answer.

I remember the main reason they touted the change was so that the X-Division guys had more spots to jump off of. Remember when they cared about that stuff? I mean, not that it meant much anyways, but still.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I like how someone itt tried to say Hogan wasn't as bad as we remember by citing how good Roddy Piper and Lex Luger looked against him.

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!

MassRayPer posted:

Nitro in 97 was indeed incredible. One of my fondest memories of wrestling will always be JJ Dillon asking Sting what he wanted and Sting not speaking. Instead he pointed his bat at a fan in the crowd with a sign that read: "JJ: STING WANTS HOGAN!"

I remember that, although the whole process made JJ look like an idiot.

"I have what you want Sting, a contract for you to go against Curt Hennig!" (Sting rips up contract, while JJ looks confused.)

2 weeks later. "Here it is Sting, a contract versus an NWO member, you against Syxx!!" (Sting rips up contract, while JJ looks even more confused.)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I never interpreted as JJ actually not knowing Sting wanted Hogan, just that JJ was handcuffed legally by Hogan's lawyers and Bischoff's contracts and all that stuff and he couldn't just sign "Sting vs Hogan". "Sting vs Syxx" was easy so he offered it and hoped Sting would bite. "Hall vs Sting" was tougher but he made it happen and hoped Sting would bite on one of the nWo founders. Sting proved unwilling to compromise so eventually JJ just had to pull every string he could to get the guy who never wrestles unless WCW finds a legal reason to force him to to wrestle a crazy dude who hadn't wrestled a match in over a year.

Of course that begs the question of HOW he got those contracts, but it made a lot more sense than JJ Dillon not noticing the weekly signs that kept multiplying every time he offered one of those other matches.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

STAC Goat posted:

I never interpreted as JJ actually not knowing Sting wanted Hogan, just that JJ was handcuffed legally by Hogan's lawyers and Bischoff's contracts and all that stuff and he couldn't just sign "Sting vs Hogan".
He said as much if memory serves, which it often doesn't, I'm learning the hard way.

Lone Rogue posted:

Time Warner AOL: Publicly traded crazy billionaire money
Panda Energy: Private crazy billionaire money
Well WCW started out just being owned by Ted Turner before he lost control to Time Warner, which became AOL Time Warner, so give this one time. TNA may be owned by Comcast or MTV any year now.

TL posted:

This is hardly fair. Name one person who thinks the six-sided ring is a great idea.

UNLESS the person you're pinning has already voted five OR been put on probation for two minutes. In which case, this thread becomes a reverse-voting thread, wherein forums-members post from the bottom-to-the-top.

Page snypers must then snipe their page from the bottom of their page.

Taking into account the fact that individual posters have individual post-per-page limits, those left over still wishing to vote the thread a 5 must-

Y'know what?

Just go to the WWE Discussion Thread.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Supreme Allah posted:

Not a killer story but I loved the fact that WCW’s OWN TALENT made it a point to watch Jericho’s debut in the production truck to root for him and see how they’d treat WCW defections.

FishBulb posted:

Does Hogan just like loving love parades or something?
Man I want blah blah dollars up front creative control and a parade BROTHER
All those loving parades...not one assassination attempt. Talk about bad booking.

LividLiquid posted:

This is hardly fair. Name one person who thinks the six-sided ring is a great idea.

ME. I love the 6 sided ring & agree with the reasoning that the ring is the biggest visual to the casual viewer flipping channels and make their product stand out. I'd stop watching without the 6-sided ring.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Normally I'd agree, Snoopy, but given the state of the loving company right now, the LAST thing they want is people flipping thought he channels and thinking, "Oh. It's wrestling, but it's not real* wrestling."

*real meaning actual fake wrestling or WWE to be more precise.

Maybe at least this way they'll get a few people who think, "Oh man! Hogan, RVD and Kennedy are back in WWE!"

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Dead Snoopy posted:

All those loving parades...not one assassination attempt. Talk about bad booking.

Mick Foley is going to shoot Hulk Hogan at the parade.

Shoot on.

I mean shoot on.

Mister E
Oct 2, 2006

by exmarx
I'm just curious as to how much financial freedom Bischoff and Hogan are going to have in TNA. It Panda isn't keeping them on a tight leash I fear lots and lots of cars are once again going to get wrecked if things don't start swinging upwards.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mister E posted:

I'm just curious as to how much financial freedom Bischoff and Hogan are going to have in TNA. It Panda isn't keeping them on a tight leash I fear lots and lots of cars are once again going to get wrecked if things don't start swinging upwards.

It looks like despite Hogan's claims he's above Dixie that he's below her as wrestlers they have contacted have been told to talk to Dixie if they want to come in. But given how Dixie is slavishly devoted to anyone she thinks will bring TNA ratings and is in general a giant idiot, she'll give him whatever he wants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffey
Sep 9, 2003

by T. Finn

MassRayPer posted:

It looks like despite Hogan's claims he's above Dixie that he's below her as wrestlers they have contacted have been told to talk to Dixie if they want to come in. But given how Dixie is slavishly devoted to anyone she thinks will bring TNA ratings and is in general a giant idiot, she'll give him whatever he wants.

According to her most recent Twitter update, she is "working with" Hogan on writing the 1/4 show. So take that for what it's worth.