Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

iirc Stan was actually a nice person he was kinda blind though so he would destroy people in the ring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah he's admitted the Lariat was him going "I can't quite see where the other guy is so we're just swinging for the fences here"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

By all accounts Stan is a kind, somewhat soft-spoken family man. According to some stories he was the one who kept Bad News Allen from killing Andre when Andre kept making jokes with racial epithets on a bus in Japan.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
The last thing you hear before you head pops right off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7C4vylhsmk

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

my favorite Stan Hansen story from Japan is the fact that he would do his exercises running up and down the stairs at 5 am in whatever hotel they were staying at

imagine you're a sleepy salary man leaving a hotel via the stairs and here comes loving Stan Hansen huffing and puffing past you

his book is a decent read, you can tell he's not very comfortable breaking kayfabe so a lot of the little details missing - it does paint him as a nice guy who just went back to his hotel after matches and read books while the rest of the crew went out and drank

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dr. Zoggle posted:

his book is a decent read, you can tell he's not very comfortable breaking kayfabe so a lot of the little details missing - it does paint him as a nice guy who just went back to his hotel after matches and read books while the rest of the crew went out and drank

In his first book Mick says Stan was the only reason he left his hotel room because otherwise that's what Mick would have done.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Dr. Zoggle posted:

He also really likes to point out how great and safe Japan used to be, never mind that he was hanging out with a bunch of yakuza during that time period that might be why everything went smoothly.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

recently learned that while sting isnt very popular in japan because he rarely if ever toured over there the imposter sting known as NWO Sting was very over lol

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

recently learned that while sting isnt very popular in japan because he rarely if ever toured over there the imposter sting known as NWO Sting was very over lol

I mean I dunno about very over. He was part of nWo Japan, which was huge, but he was down the pecking order behind Chono, Mutoh, Scott Norton, Hiroyoshi Tenzan. He did loads of tours from '97 to '02 but he was always just a guy in the stable. He only had 2 tag title shots in all that time

At some point in 1999 he stopped being nWo Sting & joined Chono in Team2000 as Super J

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Almost to Great Amerucan bash 1990. I'm excited to see what kind of rug pull they do to let flair keep the belt.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

Almost to Great Amerucan bash 1990. I'm excited to see what kind of rug pull they do to let flair keep the belt.

one of my favorite wcw ppvs though i know it hasnt aged great and does slog near the beginning.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

wcw has aged like fine wine

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
The wine:

I've often wondered: Was the blood supposed to hit Big Sexy? Because it comes down with great velocity and there's quite a lot of it, that could definitely have injured Big Sexy. And I wouldn't put it past WCW to fail to consider that, so even if it had hit him directly, they still hosed up. I can also see Big Sexy using his backstage clout, friendship with top stars and management, and contractually guaranteed creative control to nix the idea of the bloodbath, but agreeing to have the blood land near him, which is also stupid and a perfect WCW-ism.

Animal-Mother fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 5, 2024

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Honestly with late period WCW any scenario you can imagine is equally likely.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

from what i've heard the blood was supposed to hit him but the crew were in the wrong spot because wcw was falling apart and missed him but its equally likely nash didnt want to be covered in blood and just did it on purpose lol

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

from what i've heard the blood was supposed to hit him but the crew were in the wrong spot because wcw was falling apart and missed him but its equally likely nash didnt want to be covered in blood and just did it on purpose lol

The place the blood does fall would be a really aesthetically displeasing place to intentionally drop the blood, so I'm sticking with the blood crew being out of position over Nash "accidentally" missing his mark.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Was this an early Thunder? I remember Thunder real quickly becoming a B Show that none of the big names were willing to show up for.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

syzpid posted:

Was this an early Thunder? I remember Thunder real quickly becoming a B Show that none of the big names were willing to show up for.

No, Russo is in the clip, so it was clearly long after Thunder had settled in as the midcarder show. I remember one of the first weeks under Russo, before he was showing up on camera, he said, on an episode of Thunder, that Thunder sucks because none of the big stars are on it. Which, yes, this was true, but admitting that on the show was probably not going to help bring viewers back to the show.

Nash definitely showed up on Thunder at least some of the time, but I don't know how much actual wrestling he did on the show vs. just coming out for a promo in the first hour.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Lurks With Wolves posted:

The place the blood does fall would be a really aesthetically displeasing place to intentionally drop the blood, so I'm sticking with the blood crew being out of position over Nash "accidentally" missing his mark.

Yeah he was pretty much dead centre in the ring which is exactly where you’d want to drop poo poo on someone for the best visual.

100% a production fuckup.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

rujasu posted:

Nash definitely showed up on Thunder at least some of the time, but I don't know how much actual wrestling he did on the show vs. just coming out for a promo in the first hour.

He had a decent garbage match against Sandman once but I haven't seen that match in 20+ years so don't quote me on it.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

C. Everett Koop posted:

He had a decent garbage match against Sandman once

too late

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Dawgstar posted:

He's one of Sting's greatest opponents but in a way that's not even special because Sting is a rare case of having had several greatest opponents.
Sting has a winning record against Hogan, which is a real accomplishment from a business POV.

Today I realized that the official Sting WCW breakfast cereal is chocolate frosted, and the Nitro Grill's Sting Burger came with bacon. He's clearly the king of the WCW merchandising heap.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

lol remembered hogan tried really hard to get a win over piper in WCW because he was mad about never getting a clean win over him in the WWF

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
Steve Borden trademarking Sting in 1995 was the smartest decision a wrestler could make.

Maybe ever.

:golfclap:

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

lol remembered hogan tried really hard to get a win over piper in WCW because he was mad about never getting a clean win over him in the WWF

Halloween Havoc 1996 is one of my favorite bad wrestling shows ever because it just nosedives off a hilarious cliff at some point and ends with Piper debuting and cutting a promo that goes so long the PPV ends mid-word

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

in character sting is the dumbest man alive constantly falling for every trick but in real life he is very smart and into real estate

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Halloween Havoc 1996 is one of my favorite bad wrestling shows ever because it just nosedives off a hilarious cliff at some point and ends with Piper debuting and cutting a promo that goes so long the PPV ends mid-word

lol

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

When people say aew has hit wcw levels they show they just don't know the history

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

that time WCW did a three hour PPV but forgot to tell the network so it cut off at 2 hours

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

I had known the WWF had done this but I never saw the actual image

:lol:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Miching Mallecho posted:

loling that people seriously think the Punk tape is too petty for wrestling when vince did this on a regular basis

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

man who bought or ran out all of the other competition with shady practices throwing a tantrum because ted turner isnt playing fair ftw

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Miching Mallecho posted:

Looks like something a bird left on the hood of a car.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Lmfao

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

wwe put a picture of fake NWO sting on the back of their sting career DVD

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Endorph posted:

wwe put a picture of fake NWO sting on the back of their sting career DVD

jeff farmer's a draw, brother

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

I think the funniest part of that is the pictures it's sandwiched in between of

https://x.com/wcwworldwide/status/514457809979592704?s=46

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

he's sting it counts

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

That's a picture of Sting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Ce n'est pas un Sting