Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

FishBulb posted:

They were also capible of pissing away talent. I mean they had Hall Nash The Undertaker HHH etc... Before they were anything in the WWF
Well, they had The Diamond Studd, Vinnie Vegas, 'Mean' Mark Callous, and Terra Ryzing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Lone Rogue posted:

Master P
In another piece of WCW stupidity, they were rumoured to be paying Master PeePee a ludicrous 1 million per appearance. Why would an audience consisting mostly of white hicks care about a rapper they've never heard of?

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DJExile posted:

AND THE YET-TAY!!
Did anyone in WCW actually know what a Yeti is?

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Jerusalem posted:

Also, mention you heard that Ultimate Warrior came back for another match with Hulk Hogan, and say that sounds cool there's no way anyone could blow a money-making program like that. People will go all kinds of fun colors before they're finished responding!
Highlight of the match: Hogan sets fire to his own hand.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Another example of WCW idiocy...
WCW paid Lanny Poffo $200,000 per year and had him under contract for four years, during which time he sat at home and did nothing.
The story goes that he was originally hired as a favorite to his brother, Randy Savage, and has supposed to manage Savage using the Gorgeous George gimmick to get heel heat. Of course, Savage's girlfriend Stephany Bellars was given the role instead, while Lanny sat at home wondering why the phone never rung.

Now, that's the sort of job I want; getting around $4000 a week to do nothing.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

1st AD posted:

I'm pretty sure that's because WCW could no longer afford to license Voodoo Child at that point.
Don't you mean 'Voodoo Chili'?
D'oh!

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So, which was the ramp that Juvi kept falling on his rear end on?
(Don't blame the meth).

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
You know, sometimes I dream of working for WCW at it's peak... as Lanny Poffo, getting paid over $200,000/ year to stay at home and do nothing.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Astro7x posted:

wwf.com/wcw has an article up on The Demon

http://www.wwe.com/superstars/wherearetheynow/where-are-they-now-kiss-demon
All I remember is that terrible match with Vampiro, which was held outdoors in the dark, with only a small torch held by the referee as a light source. Not that it mattered, as there was no action anyway.
Demon lost, of course.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

LividLiquid posted:

Pretty sure that was Sting.
This was the match where Vampiro returned to the ring after beating Demon and was attacked by an army of sting clones.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ColeM posted:

2: "Nitro the following Monday was at the SuperDome in New Orleans before a paying crowd of 15,593. Master P had bragged to the company that his presence would make the building sell out. Considering that the building could hold over 55,000, Master P was wrong."
I didn't know who Master P was when he first appeared in WCW. Actually, I still don't know who he is, but I guess if WCW was paying him $100,000 per appearance, he must be someone important.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

The Wise Teen posted:

I don't remember The Maestro at all, and after looking him up on Youtube, all I can ask is.... why?
Because he owned the rights to the 'Gorgeous George' name (He's the original Georges great nephew) and WCW wanted it.

On another subject of WCWs stupidity, does anyone remember the PPV they did in England? It featured none of their big stars and the main event was Ron and Don Harris vs. The Mamalukes.
I don't think the crowd was very pleased.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I think WCW started using it without the Maestro's permission (Savage's girlfriend/ valet). That's probably how Maestro was able to negotiate a nice fat contract with WCW, in exchange for the GG name rights.

Edit: Wikipedia seems to agree.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorgeous_George_III#Return_to_World_Championship_Wrestling

I fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Aug 22, 2011

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Speaking of the Stro, I wonder if WWE now owns the Gorgeous George gimmick?

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

MrBling posted:

Fans like celebrities mixed with their wrestling.

At least Malone looked like he actually wanted to be there and had a go at learning some moves from Kanyon.

Rodman was mostly just standing on the apron sleeping. If I remember correctly they at least had the good sense to not let Rodman and Malone actually wrestle each other much and relied on DDP and Hogan to carry them.
Rodman was drunk.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

MassRayPer posted:

Nitro was often being rewritten while the show was on the air.
Someone was writing that crap? I thought they just got the performers drunk and recorded the outcome.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Maxwell Lord posted:

That one was actually tolerable. It started out horribly, but then the Cruiserweight match, Jericho put on a decent one with... uh... the cowboy guy, the battle royal was a clusterfuck but vaguely entertaining, and the main event was legitimately quite good.
Silver King? The only way he could make the cruiserweight weight limit would be to cut his leg off.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Request to change thread title to 'WCW: Looks like something a bird left on the hood of my car'.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

bobkatt013 posted:

I hope not. It has one of the stupidest moments in WCW history, Dean Malenko v Kidman first person touches the floor.
Did Deano legitimately screw up with that one?

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Remember the Gimmick Battle Royal?
Scottie got the biggest pop out of all the competitors.

I don't know who Mike Graham is.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Miching Mallecho posted:

You're not kidding

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fvE4NCcTNM

:stare: God drat.
What a puny little runt.
And this is the guy who made death threats to Benoit?

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Oatgan posted:

I think Benoit proved you really don't need to be a huge guy to be dangerous
Benoit had muscles!
Mikey's got a permed mullet!

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Astro7x posted:

That's what I call the American Dream right there, getting fired but still collecting a pay check by accident. I hope Jerry Flynn benefited from this.
I thought they were dumb for paying Lanny Poffo $200,000 a year to do nothing, but at least they were aware he was employed by them.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Bischoff and his wife were part of the Gold Club scandal and were definitely having threesomes with strippers.
I think I remember some testimony from that; Bischoff watching drunk as his wife and a stripper performed a 'Horizontal Tombstone Piledriver' on each other.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I've literally been loling at this. The thought of Hogan dropping from the ceiling and stalking someone from the shadows is loving hilarious.
He had a glimpse of how bad that would be; Warrior's 'supernatural' gimmick; a two-bit magic act with him appearing in mirrors and exiting the ring through a trap door shrouded in dry ice.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So, Giant Gonzales was originally going to be the Yetay instead of Reese? Imagine how wonderful that would have been.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ktik posted:

I know the NWO had about 392 different members, but can anyone here run down maybe why, real life or wrestling life, reasons why they joined that group? Like why the hell did Macho Man join them after feuding with them for a year? Why was Bryan Adams a member? Why did they let Stevie Ray into the NWO?

Here's the "original NWO" list:
Hollywood Hogan
Kevin Nash
Scott Hall
Ted DiBiase
The Giant
Vincent
Syxx
Buff Bagwell
Miss Elizabeth
nWo "Sting"
Curt Hennig
Konnan
Nick Patrick
Dennis Rodman
V.K.Wallstreet
Big Bubba Rogers
Rick Rude
Randy Savage
Scott Steiner
Scott Norton
Brian Adams
The Disciple
Notice a pattern? Nearly all ex-WWF stars.
The NWO was a WWF invasion of WCW in all but name.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Lone Rogue posted:

Well yeah that was the point... or did you not realize before?
You realize this was all planned out by Vince McMahon to destroy WCW from within?

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DAS Super! posted:

I am watching the Gorgeous George v. Charles "lil natch" Robinson and its better then most matches now in WWE. That is sad.
Not so sad. They had a pretty good match for two non-wrestlers.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

triplexpac posted:

The only bits I remember from this feud is the segment involving the contortionist in the gym bag, and Nash spraying them with sewage.
The funniest part was the midget girl contortionist nearly getting stuck in the gym bag. Took her ages to get out.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I hear that Scott Norton was being payed $800,000 a year by WCW.
Nearly a million dollars for a midcarder to be fat and surly and not sell anything.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

El Gallinero Gros posted:

...would do a 3 1/2 minute tribute to a guy who raped his daughter after he died?
Zombie rape is the worst rape.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Suben posted:

A few days/pages back MassRayPer had an old Observer quote about Austin and not wanting to job to The Renegade. Well reading that I decided to look up The Renegade on Wikipedia and right there on the page, with a picture of him, is the most WCW thing.

The caption under it: The tribute to Rick Williams that aired on WCW Monday Nitro after his death; note the erroneous reference to him as "Rick Wilson".
Up until I saw that, I thought his name was Rick Wilson.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

MassRayPer posted:

In non-Nitro news, I was intrigued by the idea that Ron Reis had a brother who was even worse at wrestling than he was. At least I imagine he was since I don't think he even had a match?
Impossible. No one is worse at wrestling than Ron Reis.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Abbott's fight record: 10 wins, 14 losses.
I guess real MMA fights are tougher than beating up drunks on the street.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Corzaa posted:

See also; Kimbo Slice.
4 wins, 2 losses in MMA. He's doing better as a boxer, having won his first 6 fights.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Has Hogan ever starred in a movie which didn't suck massively?

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The only thing I remember about Chip Minton was him getting a penis suplex from Scott Norton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

An Actual Bear posted:

Only thing I remember about Torborg is his HORRIBLE match with Kendall Windham on Nitro. I believe it ended after Torborg legit hosed his knee up.
His match with Vampiro in a dark graveyard was worse, being lit only by a small torch held by the ref.