Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
When I was deep in my pro-wrestling fan days I tried tuning into WCW every now and then and I couldn't for longer than 5-10 minutes at a time because anything involving talking was liable to put me into a coma.

They would have guys come to the ring and cut promos and challenge other guys to matches and it would just come off so unexciting. Somebody would come to the ring and yell about another guy, the other guy would come out and yell, they'd both yell at the same time and be totally incomprehensible, then one guy would stare menacingly at the other guy and walk away. There weren't any "WHAT" or "IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOU THINK" or "SUCK IT" or anything like that, they wouldn't wait for the other guy to stop speaking before they started speaking themselves half the time, and there wasn't any big entrance like Undertaker or Kane that suddenly silence the whole arena. I know it's a stupid complaint because it doesn't actually have to do with the wrestling itself but I just found it made the entire show that much more boring.

The ringside commentary(which included Madden at the time) was also god awful. Nobody was funny, they made everything that was happening backstage and with storylines sound so painfully scripted and they sounded like a bunch of old guys bickering while I was trying to watch a match.

I knew a guy in junior high school who was a WCW elitist who swore up and down the WCW announce team (with Madden) was leagues better than Lawler/JR any day. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Skinty McEdger posted:

You will never ever, ever, ever, ever see the Japanese wrestler or the Mexican wrestler over in American mainstream wrestling. And the simple reason for that is, even myself, I'm an American, and I don't want to sound like a big bigot or a racist or anything like that, but I'm an American ... if I'm watching wrestling here in America, I don't give a poo poo about a Japanese guy. I don't give a poo poo about a Mexican guy. I'm from America, and that's what I want to see.

Yup thats the one.

Ahahahahhahahahaha oh man.

I laugh but isn't this the reason he had all the luchador guys in WCW unmask? That was lovely. I really, honestly can't fathom why anyone would give Russo any kind of creative control ever again.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
I just watched the Monday Night Wars DVD with my girlfriend the other night and one thing I was aware of at the time but which I'm still surprised by when I see it is how many people were in the nWo at one point in time. How do you have a competitive roster with that many people on the same team?

Also I never saw the promo where Bischoff called Vince out to a fight before. I couldn't stop chuckling, it was just so awkward and nerdy looking.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Super Ninja Fish posted:

This happens to even the greatest of promotions. WWF did this too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d6JgyXycXI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP6UP081pys

In the Monday Night Wars documentary Triple H talks about the DX invading WCW thing and says the arena closing the gate on their jeep was the worst thing WCW could have done, because if they just let DX into the arena and on their show everyone would have tuned into Nitro instead to see what was going on.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Gavok posted:

Speaking of Vampiro, I seem to recall a plan to do a PPV on December 31, 1999 called New Year's Evil that would have featured the Demon dropping Vampiro and ICP into a pool of holy water, which would have turned them face.

They should have made it a pool of sanctified Faygo.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Lamuella posted:

this thread just reminds me of the astounding waste of potential that was the Invasion. The whole thing felt doomed from the start after they began with Booker T defending the heavyweight title against Buff Bagwell of all people.

Does anyone think that WWF owning WCW could have worked out better (for example if they'd had them as genuinely their own promotion rather than the weak bad guys led by the McMahon kids), or was there never any real chance of it not sucking?

Treating WCW as its own promotion would have had the same problem as if they tried to treat ECW as their own- no matter how much they tried to, they could never cover up the fact that it was no under Vince's umbrella.

The invasion did need a lot less WWE guys mixed up in it. The survivor series match that was the blow off to the whole thing had something like 3/5 guys on the Invasion team were WWE stars and 2/5 of the WWE guys were former WCW stars. It was a mess.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Rusty Shackelford posted:

The rumor was that the Warrior that came back at WrestleMania 8 wasn't the same one that left in the fall of 1991. The reason was that he had a different hairstyle. That's the rumor you are thinking of.

I thought it was because he started wearing the full-body tights with his skin painted on them instead of just the shorts. So everyone thought it was another guy hiding the fact that he didn't have Warrior's muscle definition to keep passing off as him.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Pneub posted:

I heard that Stephanie McMahon accidentally killed Ultimate Warrior in a car wreck in 1990 so they had to replace him with a look alike ever since to cover it up. She almost got away with it scott-free, but don't worry, Randy Savage caught wind of the plot eventually and took care of business.

I suddenly feel like taking every untrue rumor in wrestling and turning them into a fabricated "Six degrees of Randy raped Stephanie" game by bullshitting all the connections would be really fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Lone Rogue posted:

Metal - Man Mountain Rock
Country - Double J Jeff Jarrett
Hip Hop - Mabel and Mo, M.O.M.
Grunge - Rad Radford
Gregorian Chants - Friar Ferguson

Am I missing anyone?

Oscar :colbert: