Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Die anyone else remember an angle where Disco Inferno got an eating disorder?

He had a cruiserweight title shot but found out he was two pounds over the weight limit, so the next hour featured vignettes of him refusing food and working himself too hard on a treadmill. He makes the weight just in time after other wrestlers warm him what he's doing is dangerous, and during the match passes it from exhaustion.

And that's it. The beginning, middle, and end of the story arc in maybe 1.5 hours of television, and he never again competed in cruiser weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Say Nothing posted:

There's a wikipedia page about the Fingerpoke. Apparently 600,000 people changed channel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fingerpoke_of_Doom

To be fair to Tony's side of the story, that "Butts in the seats" line was fed directly to him over his earpiece, and as soon as the show was over he called Foley's personal number, told him what he had said, and apologized.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I want to see the nutcracker give the mouse king a stone cold stunner.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Another thing WCW had going for it was it had the hottest women. Torrie and Stacy Keibler alone were just in a completely different league above the WWF stars like Jacqueline and Sable. Keibler's so hot I think she set the world record for holding George Clooney's interest, and that was a decade later.

That's not even mentioning Kimberly Page and the nitro girls. Of course the women's division story lines and matches were just horrible right around 1998+, just like everything else. I think they honest to god had an Asian valet named Kimono Wanalaya.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Until she got assaulted by Goldberg wearing pink tights. The announce team cracked the case right away, Goldberg wears black tights! He must be innocent! Or so it would seem. Would you believe Goldberg was sinister enough to wear decoy tights? It was the perfect alibi.

The reason he took so long to cross the street was he had to get rid of the incriminating pink tights first.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think Schiavone stopped carrying around the time they started making him drink Surge. On their web radio show after the match he was mocking the whole thing: "For WCW I'm Tony Schiavone and I love Surge!"

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The chairman of WCW.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Is Shutter Speed the one with Sting and Daisy Fuentes?

I remember staying up to watch First Daughter with Diamond Dallas Page as an Australian terrorist.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I wonder what Hogan booking would look like if the only rule was he never appeared on screen.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
He still put his brother Rick over. That was a fun match with ridiculous guest referee buff bagwell shenanigans.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

MassRafTer posted:

The only people who thought Goldberg was one of the guys in that segment were people who barely watched WCW. If you watched WCW you knew it was Horshu because Horshu would pop up as a jobber semi regularly during Goldberg's run. It was one of those dumb rumors that was a product of how polarized fans were and dead set on trying to discredit the company they didn't like.

All I knew from when I was 14 is that Stone Cold was the to guy in WWF, and his finishing move, the stone cold stunner, was mechanically the same as Disco Inferno's. Therefore by the transitive property of wrestling the best guy in WWF was equal to a huge jobber in WCW so WCW is better.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The Finlay angle was really good actually. The announcers kept building up Benoit/Booker, when all of a sudden Finlay defeated Booker for the title I'm a Reebok nitro match. Benoit considered himself number one contender and fought Finlay, but Finlay successfully defended. Then they had a best of seven to determine who would get to face Finlay at the ppv. Meanwhile Finlay defended continuously, putting on good matches against other mid cards for a few weeks.

In the last best of seven match there was a double disqualification or something, so JJ said they had to redo their last match at the ppv and face Finlay the same night. They had awesome matches and Finlay lost it in the end, but had gone from random jobber to actually being over as a good wrestler, while Benoit and BookerT both got over as gently caress.

I want to say there was maybe even NwO shenanigans at some point where Finlay rescued Booker or Benoit.

Of course no one will ever see this angle again because Benoit went crazy from brain damage and killed his family, do they don't really show anything with him in it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

MassRafTer posted:

Hart tried to help Benoit win to get him to join the nWo but Benoit refused, setting up the 8th match. If Finlay ended up elevated by this, it'd be fine. He wasn't. He was reduced to below TV title level, rarely got PPV matches and in 99 was put into the god awful hardcore division. They basically just threw him in there for the hell of it.

I think Finlay was elevated, they just immediately wasted it after.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
He even looks kinda like that guy from Showgirls.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
And Tony was given Surge, the opposite of booze.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Nitro was three hours for a decent chunk of its run.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You'd think they'd at least have a ladies match in the pool. Torrie vs Stacy or something.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Madusa throwing away the belt was the biggest mistake, because the resulting arbitration gave WWE first right of refusal if WCW ever went on sale.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
How about trying to get The Cat over for months because he taught karate to Biscoff's kid?

Their methods of trying to get him over was having him come out and talk about he could whip anyone's rear end for ten minutes, dancing for five, then kicking some jobber in the face.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I remember the brief period WCW was ahead there was a lot of hilarious smug from WCW fans online and a lot of hilarious impotent rage from WWF fans. My favorite was claiming Goldberg was a sham and his streak was made up because he apparently lost a dark house match to like, Glacier or something around win number 40. Which is true, but a really dumb thing to quibble about.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Chris Benoit wasn't a crippler, either, he was a murderer. Ironically Bret the hitman Hart never killed anyone for money, but Owen Hart did cripple Steve Austin. Stu gave all his proteges the wrong gimmicks.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You don't remember X-Paaaaaaaaaaaaaac! Then you can SUCK IT!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think J.J announced the Hogan Goldberg match on Thunder.

Also Buff Bagwell got injured on Thunder.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I miss Juventud and the 450 splash. Some guy in wwe did it wrong and hurt himself or his opponent, then WWE banned the move and fired Juvi when he used it anyway. The firing was justified if he didn't honestly slip up and forget it was banned, but it was dumb to ban it in the first place.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

CombineThresher posted:

That probably isn't the only reason they fired Juvi.

Was it the juvi juice?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Oh that's my bad. I has remembered it as someone else botching the move veggie they told him not to do it. If he botched it himself that's completely different.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
He used to get away with it because no one knew his identity under the mask.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I would like to believe a cop tried to pick him up and he turned it into a tornado DDT off of the police cruiser, then climbed up for the 450 before being tased.

Kevin Nash watched from the shadows and formulated a plan.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Kurt Kobain was a huge DDP fan. He was always telling Courtney that "One of these days... BANG!"

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I had a dream once where Kevin Nash pulled out a derringer and shot Goldberg in the chest while the reef wasn't looking, but Goldberg kicked out and Tony Schiavone lost his loving mind.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
This week's How Did This Get Made? podcast by the way will be Hulk Hogan's No Holds Barred. Comes out Wednesday I think.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
She was a stone cold stunner.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Luigi Thirty posted:

A real knockout

He had to divorce her because she was too frigid. A real Freeze McFrost.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
That's what dark matches are for.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Chris Benoit should have come on mic and said "Last I remembered when I left wcw that belt belonged to me" and main event be him and Booker. If they wanted wcw to have its own show they needed to give that brand back the good people they'd picked off like Jericho and Guerrero and Big Show and let them use the heat they'd earned in wwe already.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Skinty McEdger posted:

Yes he should, you know other than him being out having neck surgery at the time.

Well maybe if he skipped his surgery and exacerbated a career threatening injury, his family would still be alive today.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I remember he used to get knocked down and looked to be out and his opponent would mug to the crowd, then Booker T would do the spinaroonie and stand up and hit his cocky opponent with an axe kick or something.

It was a great signature move, like Undertaker sitting up.

I don't know if it was Wcw or WWE that changed it. It became a taunt he just randomly does in the middle of a match for no reason. It didn't even read as heelish, it just made no loving sense.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

omgomgomg posted:

In all fairness, I don't remember any Japanese wrestler winning the WWE belt

Yokozuna never won it? I thought they gave it to him so Hogan could beat him.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I don't know guys, Yokozuna is a japanese title and his manager waves around a Japanese flag. Are you alleging that he WWE used racial stereotypes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Next you're gonna tell me 'Mick' Foley isn't Irish.