Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?
Disco may be an idiot, but WCW always seemed to handle him well as someone who everyone just hated, to the point he somehow became a lovable loser.

I remember a World War 3 set of promos where everyone was asked who they'd eliminate first and most people said Disco.

He was a mediocre wrestler, but dammit, he had a stupid character and he played it really well. Glen Gilberti should be in the same breath as the Undertaker and Kane(Undead 1900s Mortician and Brother of Undead 1900s Mortician) and making gold out of what should have been pure poo poo. I mean, his gimmick was he liked Disco Dancing....really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?
I thought Hammer worked as a flock mook. Beyond that I can't really say anything of their worth.

This incidentally pretty much goes for the rest of the flock that isn't Raven, Saturn, or Kidman.

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?
...I was bored and googled Van Hammer matches to get a better idea of of how terrible he was. My verdict there is he's about a 3/10. He wasn't the worst ever, but he was painfully generic and unimpressive.

But something dawned on me. WCW was so hosed up that VAN HAMMER was politicking to some degree of effectiveness. We already have the Major Stash/Private Stash story.

-Seemed to be presented as #2 Flock Flunkie behind Saturn despite probably being only more talented than Reese.
-He's the first out of the Proto-Job squad Flock. Theory could be he requested it because he thought himself above it.
-He has a match vs. Sid. Apparently monster push Sid, US Champion, needs Rick Steiner's help to beat Van Hammer.
-Gets a 10 minute fairly even match with Bret Hart on Nitro despite it really making no sense.
-The Botchamania vid just posted.

Supposedly he was friends with DDP(given a pic someone posted), but it's still abit astounding that it wasn't just Nash/Hogan/etc. running the asylum. Everyone was.

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?
Actually reminds you that HHH is awesome at being a chickenshit. He has some of the best 'oh I'm hosed' faces we've ever seen. It's probably his best role and we never really see it anymore since he's fallen into the 'overconfident WWE Face' role for the past few years.

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?
Russo was on the way out of the WWF as Chyna was starting to get pushed as a credible competitor. Given we've established he hates women, I wouldn't be surprised if the whole Medusa thing and making it stupid was kind of his smug revenge for having to push Chyna.

Exhibit B on this theory: Asya. See? It's bigger than Chyna. :downsrim:

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?
It's actually "Come as As You Are", which is actually ludicrously fitting given the flock. Jericho had an "Even Flow" rip off and that's the extent of my Jimmy Hart rip off WCW knowledge.

Jimmy Hart is a master of copying just enough to not get sued. WWE seems to mostly be original - only Jimmy Hart version I think they had Johnston do is Tommy Dreamer, who had a really close knock off of "Man in a Box".

It has value, it ties a wrestler to a popular song and people hear it, it keeps wrestling in their heads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?
I'd bet he got chewed out in the back which made him go ahead and ditch with Benoit/Eddie/Saturn. Perhaps it was Russo who was crying about his beautiful artistic vision of the Catch as Catch Can match and how Dean ruined this revolutionary match type forever. I can definitely see that leading to a "...Yeah, I'm done here."

I kind of think Malenko's continued employment with WWE as a road agent at least shows someone in charge appreciates his talent. He was only active for 2 years in WWF, so it's not like he's keeping his job on charity and goodwill.