Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

triplexpac posted:

This is a shared experience by anyone growing up playing these games, I guess. I can't remember all the names we made up, but a lot of them are offensive looking back on it :ohdear:

I can't remember what we called him but we changed Goldberg's whole color scheme to hot pink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

MassRayPer posted:

I will never forget when I learned about the glitch that allowed you to "Kill" Hulk Hogan in WCW vs nWo World Tour. I think you had to continually put him in a sleeper in a 4 way match with submissions turned off (or maybe it was just chokeslams... something involving the neck or choking) and after enough of them he would fall to the outside, flop and never get up. He would just be dead.

I swear this was actually a thing and you could make it so wrestlers would lay on the mats outside untargettable and unmoving. I may be off on some of the specifics but hopefully someone else remembers.

I remember doing this with Luger and the torture rack. When the camera zoomed around after you won they would not be moving.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Lone Rogue posted:

Scott Keith only eats yogurt.

Cement trucks full of it, but it's not deep fried!...yet
:eng101:

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I would legit pay to see a competitive eating contest between Scott Keith and Matt Hardy.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

While what he said may have been true the entire thought process that went into it was completely unprofessional.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

He sued allegedly because Russo called him bald.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

WCW did have some one pull out a knife and place it on their opponents throat because he wanted to "cut his beard". Ignoring the fact the opponent did not have a beard.

That was Tank Abbott vs The Dog. Tank asked if he could use a weapon and got the okay. That was not what the bookers had in mind.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

I know its just one of those great WCW moments

I thought we were posting bros and I got your back jack.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

There is also a huge difference when the wrestling nerds comprise 90% of your audience like CHIKARA vs 5% like WCW.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I'm an absolute poo poo poster with no authority but this should be the first entry in PSP Goldmine.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

fatherdog posted:

Too late.

I was motioning that PSP have it's own goldmine but I will settle for this being #2.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0055 posted:

Yeah, it's a great book for a casual read because it's laid out very neatly in chronological order. Nothing really complex and, as I've said before, the best book on the subject. It's not revisionist like WWE's take saying it was all Turner's money nor is it obnoxiously smarky blaming everything on Hogan and calling it a day.

I kind of want to read it again because not only does it give credit for WCW's successes but has a field day humourously knocking their failures.

Having re-read this book in the wake of the nWo roundtable I think it unfairly blames Nash for a great deal. The finger poke actually had a story to it but Goldberg wound up out for 9 months when he smashed the limo window with his arm.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Fingerpoke was beginning of 1999 The hilarious limo incident was the end of 1999. After he was tazared he feuded with Scott Hall and then beat Kevin Nash then left due to a movie. He was not in the title race again until Sting made an open challange

Didn't remember timeline and was just going off the way Nash told it. He may have been saying that without Goldberg for so long it didn't matter what he did as booker.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

One of my favorite Nitro memories was when Sting thought they were off the air and said "If you're not down with that I got two words for ya..."

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

chazburgr posted:

I never saw any of them but how were those Road Wild PPV's? I always liked the idea of a special Saturday PPV in the summer for some reason, but I always thought it was weird and yet strangely normal for WCW to have a show where the entire audience were dudes on their bikes.

They were the drizzling shits. Benoit and Malenko put on a technical clinic and got booed out of the ring. They didn't make any money because they didn't charge to get in.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

There was also a match where Madusa vs I think Aja Kong had the stip of winner smashes the losers bike. Maduse called her opponent's bike a Rice Rocket.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Akileese posted:

Pretty common nickname for Japanese bikes though. Either that or crotch rockets.

Yes but when your company has a history of racial insensitivity you should show some semblance of avoiding it if you can.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Captain Charisma posted:

You guys didn't know who Master P was? Where were you when Make Em Say Uhhh was out?
I was confused because I thought that was Lita's nickname for El Dandy.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

The Wise Teen posted:

I like Schiavone much more than I've ever liked Cole or Lawler, even if he did have a strange obsession with sidewalk slams. I suppose this is comparable to Cole's strange obsession with scoop slams.

What about Bischoff's reverse back jump front kick?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

My favorite memory of Nitro is all the times fans tried to rush the ring and beat up the nWo.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

The best luchador was El Dandy and I will permaban anyone who says otherwise.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Bret Hart naming him number one contender still rules even today.

I WAS AT THAT NITRO! It ended when Goldberg cleared the ring with the help of Brett Hull, Herschel Walker and Chuck Norris.

gently caress this company.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Apparently I was at this nitro and do not remember much besides the main event. http://www.pwwew.net/tv/nitro/000904.htm

So I guess I saw the last war games ever?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

And to make things better the announcers were never told anything. So you'd get sequences like where they bragged about not having DQ finishes like at the competition, then three matches would end in DQs.

Other time Tony would know the finish and refuse to tell Brain or whomever else was in the booth so he could look smart.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

El Duke posted:

saying Goldberg has no natural charisma is loving ridiculous. Same for his physique not playing into it. Goldberg looked and acted that part, and no, you can't just throw ANYONE into it.

Case in point: In 93 WWE had a wrestler on an undefeated streak when he debuted. Can you guess who it was? Tatanka

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Lone Rogue posted:

Watch some early Goldberg matches. He was really, really interesting. He had this hybrid style of power, submissions and kicks. It was like WCW was trying to create their own Taz in a way. It's one of the reasons why his match with Regal is so much fun. It wasn't until around the time he won the US Title that he just became a brute. Disappointing really.

Bischoff always said it was a response to show Vince how he should have booked Shamrock.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

punchdaily posted:

I think a thing they could have built up is the fact that, for the most part, Goldberg was running through guys bigger and stronger than him. Though really, he was mostly running through Konnan and Meng over and over again. I think it would have been neat to see a smaller guy out-quick and out-smart him. WCW had one of the greatest cruiserweight divisions, so there's a number of guys you could pick.

How many nitros in a row did he beat Jerry Flynn?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Toffile posted:

I really have to know more about this now.

From ddt digest

Gene Okerlund is in the ring. He calls out Sid Vicious.
It just goes to show you, folks. A lack of work ethic, combined with minimal speaking ability and a penchant to attack other wrestlers with weapons will get you to the top of the industry.
Gene says that Sid is on top of the world.
To his credit, Sid is actually getting a good pop.
Sid says he was on Nitro to stand for WCW.
Sid says the nWo tried to stop him and outlaw the powerbomb but came out on top anyway.
Sid says it wasn't meant to be for the nWo to come out on top all the time.
Sid says he won the WCW title but will not be happy until he wins an unconditional victory over the nWo.
Seemingly on cue, the nWo and their entourage come out. I wonder if they realize that bringing out women with the nWo negates the heel heat that the group is supposed to receive.
Nash says as commissioner he does things at times that sicken him.
Such as working a match.
Nash says that he has to abide by stipulations.
Oh, gee, how can we cheapen the title tonight?
Nash says that Sid had to defeat one of the Harris Brothers to face him later that night.
Nash shows a clip of Sid using the "outlawed" powerbomb and pinning the wrong Harris brother.
We continue with a clip of the referee counting Sid out that did not show on Nitro.
Nash tells Sid to relinquish the world title to the owner, "Big Sexy" Kevin Nash.
Nash tells David Penzer to remove the belt from Sid.
Nash says if Sid doesn't give the belt up, the nWo will come to the ring and take it.
Sid stretches his arms out as Penzer removes the belt from his waist.
Nash points out the steel cage overhead.
Nash says that Sid has a chance to regain the title in a cage match against himself and the Harris brother that was not beaten, which is Ron.
Stipulations for said match: The powerbomb is illegal, and Sid must pin Nash to win the title.
Wow, Overbooking-mania is running wild tonight.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Bumping because the elusive photo was finally found here:

http://t.co/rXtLkudq

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

MassRayPer posted:

March through early May at least produced some great matches and a great PPV. The summer of 99 and the summer of 2000 were far worse than early 99.

I remember watching this period and reacting like Homer in the BYOBBBQ episode. "It's a little slimy but it's still good it's still good"

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Lamuella posted:

really? They take one of the most over guys in WCW, a guy who got a monumental pop when he unveiled himself, and they job him out to The Undertaker's wife?

They never actually had a match. It was a "confrontation" at the ppv and DDP didn't get in any offense.

The best part of the thing was the stalker video had distorted audio which was someone going into windows audio recorder and lowering the pitch or speed by a few notches. Scott Keith's website undid this and posted the audio to reveal it was Vince McMahon and WWE legal jumped down his throat.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Gonzo McFee posted:

You'd probably be able to remove the "non wrestlemania" bit from my earlier post, I can tell you that. In different hands the Invasion angle could have gone on for a year, maybe longer and they would have made incredible amounts of money. But instead we got Vince killing it within a month and making it WWE guys Vs other WWE guys in Stephanie McMahon's faction.

They panicked after the flop that was the WCW debut on RAW at Tacoma,WA. People left in droves during the main event and the ones who did stay poo poo all over it. The next week's Raw in Atlanta had a years worth of angles condensed into two hours. Dreamer/RVD show up, why are they here, is anyone from wwe or wcw on their side, who is the mastermind behind all this, what will happen to wwe, and at least a dozen more twists and turns that were vaporized because Vince panicked and Stephanie rushed the story

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Lone Rogue posted:

WCW fans loved Buff Daddy. As loving dumb as it was to pit WCW as the babyfaces because Vince was a heel and Shane was a face against the WWF, at least if you're doing a "Raw is Nitro", do it in Atlanta, GA. Even if Booker and Bagwell stunk up the joint, you'll still get WCW fans eating it up.

They didn't stink up the joint but they could have put on a 4*+ match and people would not have cared. If I paid money to see Austin/Rock etc and was given Buff vs Booker T with no build as a main event I would boo or leave too.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

Russo was on the way out of the WWF as Chyna was starting to get pushed as a credible competitor. Given we've established he hates women, I wouldn't be surprised if the whole Medusa thing and making it stupid was kind of his smug revenge for having to push Chyna.

Exhibit B on this theory: Asya. See? It's bigger than Chyna. :downsrim:

Joey Styles made that Asia is bigger than Chyna joke about Nicole Bass all the time so WCW stole that too.

If there's one thing I can't stand it's a joke thief :ninja:

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Isn't that WCW's version of how it went down?

WCW's version is he gave them no notice and because they had planned on him being at a Thunder taping they had to rewrite everything at the last minute.

Flair's version is he gave them advanced warning and was given the time off by Bischoff.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

To compound that, if I'm remembering correctly, they decided at the very last minute that they needed Flair on Thunder for literally no reason and no advance promotion, and chartered him a private flight.

I could go read the Death of WCW but I'd have to get out of my chair to do it...I thought they wanted him to pay for the flight to Thunder out of his own pocket because I remember him saying "Would they make Hogan or Nash pay for their ticket?"

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

All dumb realities are equally probable when it comes to WCW.

The Manflurry Postulate.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

We haven't even delved into the sheer depths of my WCW Multiverse hypothesis, and we needn't go down that rabbit hole just yet. The condensed version is WCW in all universes perpetrate equally moronic missteps and all go out of business at the same moment.

I hope that in one of these universes they had used Leapin' Lanny Poffo to manage Meng in his new gimmick of Haiku Haku.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I'm just glad Road Block finally found new work as the live in maid on Two and a Half Men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Lone Rogue posted:

Jean Paul Levesque had awesome music that did not fit his French Canadian rear end in a top hat gimmick at all. I think the wrestlers got to choose their music through a list.

Jericho said something about how he got to pick Generic Title Track #9.